Awoo.

Sonic The Hedgehog OVA

>:/

Best animated incarnation, it's got all the charm and style of the games, yet has plenty of cool original stuff like the concept of Planet Freedom. The personalities of the characters were pretty spot on, Knuckles being my absolute favorite. Metal Sonic's roll was pretty great, yadda yadda.

Just an overall great Sonic film that id give a watch anytime.

• Thumbs Up 9

The most memorable moment in the OVA for me:

Cracks me up every time.

Overall, I enjoyed Sonic the Hedgehog OVA. I can watch it over and over again as it is that entertaining with a great story and funny. smile.png

My favourite part was the end, because it's a pretty bad movie. Sara and the Prez stick out as badly as the humans in the Dreamcast era, the animation is has anime's trademark ~10 fps stutter, and my god what is wrong with Tails' voice actor, it's worse than in Heroes.

Maybe I'd have liked it if I saw it 10+ years ago, but unfortunately my opinion on this movie is not fueled on nostalgia.

knuckles' hat was pretty cool though.

Tails sounds like he has a cold but otherwise I frigging love this movie to death.

The best thing about this movie is Metal Robotnik's ass missiles and the fact that Knuckles can inexplicably float in mid-air rather than glide.

And Tails groping Sara's tits and her not even giving a shit. Fucking great.

• Thumbs Up 4

I really like it. It has its problems (some odd dialogue and some really farfetched twin-telepathy jibberish), but overall I think it's the best piece of Sonic animation there has been.

The animation itself is very pleasing, as it borrows the style of the wonderful Sonic CD opening. Some of the gags are pretty funny (highlights being "MY HAT'S ON FIRE" and Tails accidentally groping a lady), and I really like most of the characters' personality. Sonic is very different from what he acts like nowadays, being much more hot-headed and kind of a smartass. But to be honest, I like it. I actually may even prefer this attitude to his way more laid-back and peaceful one he has in the games today. Tails and Knuckles are both fairly enjoyable as well. The voices are questionable, but I never really had a problem with them. And Dr. Robotnik is AWESOME. A great mad-scientist voice, some cool robots, and some funny gags make his performance quite a treat.

Metal Sonic was great for the most part, but his vulnerability to Tails' hacking wasn't explained well at all. The ending was very rushed and he pretty haphazardly turned good. Same with Sonic, I found it odd how quickly he decided that Metal was worth trying to save.

Then there's the exclusive characters. The Owl guy and the President were kinda odd, but nothing terrible. And I actually really like Sara. She's so quick to mood-swing that her interaction with other characters is very fun.

Overall, I really like it. It has fun action, some interesting characterization, and some gags I'm frankly shocked that made it into a Sonic product.

And the music was kickass.

• Thumbs Up 7

I loved the "movie" personally and I wish SEGA would release another 2D animated movie in the future. I think the last thing 2D animated we saw from SEGA and Sonic was Sonic Riders, I may be wrong though.

The only thing I didn't like about the movie was the inconsistencies it had with the games. Planet Freedom? Land of the Sky? Mr. President and Sarah? That... Owl guy dubbed Old man. Also, Sonic's voice was a bit funny, although I still liked it to an extent. I do however, like the inclusion of the game enemies, the random spring and etc.

God I love this movie. Best Sonic animation ever.

If this would've become a full-fledged show, I...just don't... -tears up- I don't even fucking know, man. It would've been great.

Everything I feel about this movie has already been said before but, goddamn it if Metal Sonic isn't about as badass as it gets in this movie. He should be this much of a threat in the games.

I really wish they'd re-release this. The DVD is far too expensive and my VHS is wearing out! A redub maybe with Drummond would be great!

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't like it too much these days, but it has a few neat moments and I recall renting the VHS a few times. It's a nice distraction but it's also a little too weird for me to fully enjoy anymore.

I do own the original DVD release, which I'm not about to give up however.

Super-man Knuckles aside, it's a great Sonic animation. Most of you already said what I was going to, so yes, Sonic OVA is a gem and I would like too see more animations like that in the future. And... Metaru-san :<

Edited by Jango

The plot is kind of balls, but the general feel and atmosphere is closer to the games than any other Sonic animation. I mean it really is beautiful to look at, and the South Island theme sounds like it could have come straight out of one of the games. And even though the plot is kind of balls, it's also a lot of fun, and it's WTFish moments just make it more fun. Definitely one of the better pieces of Sonic animation.

I remember seeing the VHS at Toys R Us when I was a kid, I begged my parents for it. I couldn't believe that there was a Sonic movie and I never heard of it till then.

I got home and popped in the VCR with excitement, and honestly remember hating Sonic's voice right away, thinking it was really bad Jaleel White impression. Me and my brothers made of Sonic and Knuckles voice's all the time. I don't remember liking it very much.

Years later I bought it again on DVD, watched it a couple times and appreciated it a little more than I originally did, but its still just as awful as I remembered it. I don't feel the OVA is that much more in spirit with the game universe than what SatAM is either, other than having an on-model and more in-character Eggman, and Knuckles, Metal Sonic. Overall its kind of boring to be honest. Some might disagree but Sonic X has more of the games tone than this, not counting season 3. Of course the OVA was limited to only two episodes, so who really knows what potential the series could've had.

The voices really kill the dub, and is the main reason I haven't watched it in years. Everyone rags on the 4Kids voices but, seriously this cast is just bad. Martin Burke is the worst voice Sonic's ever had, I'm almost glad the OVA didn't turn into a series, I'm cringing at the thought of Burke voicing Sonic in a full-length series . What was ADV thinking?

I'd love to see them do another OVA or DTV though, 2D or CGI.

Edited by Kamina

This just jogged the memory of the dream I had last night: Ya know that Metal Gear Solid thing that happened recently? I dreamed that I was at a similar thing pertaining to Sonic and found out about a Sonic movie that... kind of wasn't very good. IIRC, I then left by jet fighter.

Anyway, I really like this anime/OVA/movie/whatever. It has Badniks.

Edited by Phos

I still haven't watched this so I can't say anything.

I have just watched it. First time I have ever seen OVA. I enjoyed the music and dialogue. The characters and animation were nice. I like how Robotnik and Metal Sonic looked like their animations in Sonic CD. Also, nice to see the original Knuckles design in an early Sonic cartoon. Now I know where that Japanese Sonic CD advert came from and T Mans avatar.

I also noticed that the end credits is done in the form of a small animation window on the left hand side, with the writing (cast) scrolling down on the right hand side, just like........the Sonic CD end credits. How cool is that.

I think future boss fights between Sonic and Metal Sonic should be modelled on their epic fights in this film.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

Ah, the Sonic OVA. A classic animation in my eyes. This is an example of a decent game movie, and is funny aot of the time. Shut up, Tails, the Lighting bit, and even its crude humor such as Sonic landing on his groin. The VA adds to the experience. Sure, it's not Oscar worthy, but it is funny, mainly Tails. :3

The animation is fantastic, and anime like goofiness is practically everywhere. Oddly enough, I call this Sonic CD 2 because of the animation, the return of Metal, no Chaos Emeralds, and its Little Planet like locations. I know it has nothing to do with CD, but call if CD 2 because it reminds me of CD.

I love it. Love the animation, how the characters were handled, and its interpretation of Eggman is one of my favourite versions of him. Too bad the animated series never came to be.

I still don't understand how that telepathy between Sonic and Metal worked, though.

Yeah, I love this. It's kind of equal with Sonic X as my favourite Sonic animation (though for wholly different reasons of course). I adore the soundtrack too. Truly sad that no clean version exists outside of fan edits that are forced to miss out portions of the songs.

I love everything about this film, despite Sonic and Tails voice. They sound well.. not like I imagined before I watched it. Not even close. It feels like Tails has terrible cold and Sonic is even more cocky than usual xD

Anyway, I know others, especially non-Sonic fans says it has many flaws, but I love it. The universe in it is really uber cool!

Edited by Danielius