Awoo.

Remember That Time in 2006 When Sonic Died?

Badnik Mechanic

They really could have thought up a better idea than this. The death part is very insignificant other than to make Elise cry. I'm sure other ways of making Elise cry and a way of collecting the Emeralds could have been made.

I can't think of one from the top of my head but I'm sure there is a few.

*9001 comments posted.

I also remember that time in 2006 where it would have been funny if I mentioned this meme.

After this post, you'll reach an OVER 9000 post count!!!

Yeah, this was a terrible time for Spikey Mcspeedster (my name for Sonic.) Not only did his 15 anniversary include that abomination, but it also butchered the original Sonic 1. Shameful time that was.

I say Sonic came back with Colors, and NOT 4 Episode 1. Colors was a nice change in pace, and was just as enjoyable as the classics. It was unique, original, and felt like the Sonic game I was looking for. Generations was also a step up, and the games have been getting some good reviews.

I can't wait to see what the next game in the series is. I hope it's awesome, and not a bastardization to the classics.

I'm just gonna say it. He gets stabbed up his ass hole, which goes through his crotch (seriously), causing him to derpishly slump over. It could only be in Sonic '06 couldn't it?

...and where the FUCK is my Sonic 1 Game Over theme orchestra remix?!?

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh God seriously.

That's a nice post and all, lots of detail and well thought out... but seriously.

Do we really need another thread about '06? Come on man. We all know it's a shit game in virtually every single aspect by now, at this point we're just beating a dead horse.

Edited by Kiovle
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, Sonic's death scene is pretty shit. I always thought the way Sonic would've died is by either sacrificing himself to save another or from a heated battle. The game just pisses on Sonic's character as a whole. :\

• Thumbs Up 2

That was definitely a good read, and I have to say, I agree wholeheartedly. I mean, even Blaze's 'death' was played out somewhat decently, but then you see Sonic's death in the game and it's like...what. There's no life in the cutscene, and to be honest, the way Sonic reacts to the purple Chaos Emerald, being all "OMG SOMETHING SHINY", and not at all being apprehensive about it is just...well odd. If they did things differently, they could have had Sonic actually fight Mephiles for once, but Mephiles, pulling an Eggman, has one final attack that actually does kill him. Anything, almost anything would have been better than that one kill scene.

Really the only reason why Sonic died in 2006 was to allow you to play in those fucking awful stages to collect the seven chaos emeralds as Blaze, Rouge, Silver, Shadow, Tails, Amy and Omega (not in that order). Then you get to play as Super Sonic, Super Shadow and Super Silver in that confusing final boss. Then the game ends as if Sonic never died...

As from a story element I thought it was okay. Sonic dies. It showed at least that he is not invincible, that he needed his friends to save him. I liked that.

I hate to be such a wet blanket about this, but honestly, we all know that death scene was total garbage. :\

There is no need for an essay with examples as to why it's shit. It's total shit. We know it's shit. End of story.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 7

The Duke's fucking death scene was better than Sonic's. You got the sad music, you got the Duke trying to protect Elise (sealing Iblis in her not withstanding), and you got the Duke's last words to Silver. And at the very very end of the game, you've got his sympathetic side as well.

Sonic's death scene is also terrible because Sonic never even MET Mephiles. He saw him for like 3 seconds after Crisis City but that's it. There's no build up when someone Sonic never directly interacted with took a pot shot. As well right it's like they have the nice CG for the stupid scene with Elise and Sonic in the forest, yet they don't even bother and use ingame graphics for Sonic's most important scene in the game? Really? Though on a side note it shows how little Sonic contributes to 06's story when his role is to get killed.

Say what you will about Adam Malkovich in Metroid: Other M, but his death scene was handled a MILLION times better than this.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 4

Really the only reason why Sonic died in 2006 was to allow you to play in those fucking awful stages to collect the seven chaos emeralds as Blaze, Rouge, Silver, Shadow, Tails, Amy and Omega (not in that order). Then you get to play as Super Sonic, Super Shadow and Super Silver in that confusing final boss. Then the game ends as if Sonic never died...

As from a story element I thought it was okay. Sonic dies. It showed at least that he is not invincible, that he needed his friends to save him. I liked that.

I agree here, nobody was surprised when Sonic woke from the dead, not even a "Well, that's cool". Then it was completely ignored forever.

You know... the more I think about it.

I can't actually remember having a fight with Mephiles as Sonic, I'm sure there was one, I definately remember one as Shadow. Actually now that I think about it, these are the boss fights I remember as Sonic.

Sonic Vs Silver (It's no use... I can't remember why I remember this one).

Sonic Vs that orange spider robot thing in the field. (I thought the robot was actually kinda cool)

Oh wait a third... wasn't there some kind of robot dog thing.

Would have probably made Mephiles more memorable as well as Sonic had they actually had a fight, and it ended with Sonic's not so death moment.

There is no need for an essay with examples as to why it's shit. It's total shit. We know it's shit. End of story.

Well yes we do... but you see these are the reasons why we have essays, and editorials and the like. So we can discuss and look at the reasons why we all think something or in some cases why we might disagree with something.

Sonic doesn't even MEET Mephiles, let alone get a boss fight. Shadow gets the two boss fights against Mephiles. Actually, Shadow gets all the glory in this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess my main issue is that everything about this game has been discussed to death. Pun intended, of course.

I just don't even see the value in it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Of course it's awful, in every conceivable way, from being anti climatic and just a death scene out of nowhere, not to mention the 'revival' being cliche (among other things). But, nice wall of text, although it's odd to spend so much time analysing something that we all knew anyway...

Also 'that guy' in MW1 was Sergeant Griggs, it's Roach and Ghost that die in MW2 (Soap dies in MW3, and so did Yuri but no one cared).

Edited by Azzy

Sonic doesn't even MEET Mephiles, let alone get a boss fight. Shadow gets the two boss fights against Mephiles. Actually, Shadow gets all the glory in this game.

Exactly. Shadow fights Mephilis twice and they are interesting boss fights. You have to work hard to beat him. Shadow also gets to be Super Shadow and he kicks out at Silver - sending him flying - in that legendary cutscene. Shadow is pretty cool in this game.

I don't think the death scene is a big deal. When I played and completed the game for the first time last week, I was actually slightly shocked when I saw the death scene. I was suprised, it came out of the blue and left me feeling a little bit empty/numb (I am not joking, I am being serious).

Edited by NightwingFox

Do we really need another thread about '06? Come on man. We all know it's a shit game in virtually every single aspect by now, at this point we're just beating a dead horse.

B-b-but it's Hogfather! He makes it so going back is ENTERTAINING. It isn't like he just lazily slapped

"OMG TEN FALLEN HEROES SAWNIN HEDHEOHSS 2006 DEATH BEASTILITY"

unlike a certain gametrailer

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm sorry about this but I decided just now that I'm going to lock every single 2006 topic I see from now on that isn't this one, so please direct discussion there.