Awoo.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Patticus

Wario Ware, yes.

Mario Kart (on the Wii) or Mario Party, no. Mario Kart Wii is okay for a while, but the rubberbanding gets to you eventually. Mario Party is just boring.

I actually think the battle mode was better in Mario Kart Wii than in any other Mario Kart, because the rubberbanding isn't as common there. It allows MK Wii's draws to shine, such as the great graphics. (It's also fun to use the motion controls.)

It allows MK Wii's draws to shine, such as the great graphics. (It's also fun to use the motion controls.)

You mean the character models from MKDD that they reused without even touching them up?

I'm not that exited for a new Mario game, i'll get exited when I find out that it's a platformer. Otherwise, this could be just another minigame/racing game.

Interestingly, Yoshiaki Koizumi (the director of SMG) has gone on the record saying that there were some things he wanted to implement in Galaxy that he wasn't able to. He also says that they'll probably appear in a future Mario game.

There were a couple of Mario abilities or transformations that didn't make it into the final game. Most of these were for balance reasons at the time. We didn't want to take out the difficulty of certain stages. But because there's a really high chance that we'll end up using these eventually in another game, I don't want to say exactly what they are right now.

As for where will Mario series gameplay go next, I feel like I've just finished this journey with Galaxy, so there's still a lot of thinking to do about it at this point. But certainly the next project will involve some of the things that I had wanted to do on this project but for one reason or another wasn't able to include. Those things always get re-used eventually, and those ideas become incorporated.

Link

I hope the next mario platformer will be free roaming and challenging. Not challenging as in 3 lives. SMG was overrated. Scripted level design. The game felt like it was designed mostly for the non-gamers. A lot of the sound effects in the game annoyed the hell out of me. They felt so... artificial. The missions were also not very creative. Super Mario 64 to me, is still the pinnacle of platform heaven.

Edited by lounge

If they use the same game engine etc as they did for Galaxy, I'd say a two-year gap is perfectly reasonable and not 'too soon', since they're not having to build things from the ground up.

Also, didn't Miyamoto say he wanted to do another game in the style of Galaxy?

Actually I'd like to see the 3D conversion of a completely traditional Mario game. Mushroom Kingdom based, Mushroom and Flower power-ups, etc. So far the closest to that is Mario 64 (or maybe Super Paper Mario)

I'd also like to see Wario or Daisy appear in a proper Mario game again.

I just want to see Wario and Waluigi in a game so their relationship could be more clear.

Actually I'd like to see the 3D conversion of a completely traditional Mario game. Mushroom Kingdom based, Mushroom and Flower power-ups, etc. So far the closest to that is Mario 64 (or maybe Super Paper Mario)

I'd also like to see Wario or Daisy appear in a proper Mario game again.

See, I wouldn't say so. Maybe in terms of the setup, yeah. But in terms of gameplay, 64 and Sunshine played nothing like classic Mario at all. If you ask me, they were more mission-based in wide open areas, rather than actual 'platforming' in most places.

I was mainly talking about set-up or location anyway. I'm not sure the Mushroom Kingdom would work as a linear beginning to end platforming world if it was full 3D.

Actually, I'm sure it could work, they can make anything work. But like I said before, I mainly just want the Mushroom Kingdom and traditional elements as the setting, not necessarily the gameplay.

Edited by SuperLink

I'm most likely alone in this, but I prefer 3D Mario to 2D Mario by a very large margin. Don't get me wrong I love the old Mario games, but 3D Mario is just much more enjoyable for me. It's true like this for me with most games though. Off hand the only series I can think of I enjoy more in 2D would be Sonic, and maybe Metroid but it's close.

I'm most likely alone in this, but I prefer 3D Mario to 2D Mario by a very large margin. Don't get me wrong I love the old Mario games, but 3D Mario is just much more enjoyable for me. It's true like this for me with most games though. Off hand the only series I can think of I enjoy more in 2D would be Sonic, and maybe Metroid but it's close.

Why would you think you're alone? The only 2D Mario we've had in the last decade was way too easy and almost mediocre, so I completely agree with you. Super Mario World and Mario Bros 3 are great, but each 3D Mario is usually (for me) an incredible experience from beginning to end.

Yeah, I prefer the 3D games myself too.

And my favourite 2D games? Shock horror... Super Mario Bros. 2 and New Super Mario Bros.! Love em.

Mario 3 and World are great of course, though 3 is waaay too hard...

I would adore a new Mario platformer for Wii. I too don't care if it's a direct sequel to Galaxy, reusing things in the same way Majora's Mask did with OoT.

I really do pray and hope for another Paper Mario RPG since a SMG 2 is too soon and MP9 would be another party pooper. Also, it is just something I would like to see, heck, better yet the (looooooooooong awaited) sequel for Legend of the Seven Stars for the SNES.

Well, it better not be another MP or else I'll be very disappointed.

This is interesting to say the least.

My bets are on a spinoff like Mario Party, but another Paper Mario would be pretty nice to see.

I would hope it's not Galaxy 2. Anything but that.

I can imagine being a little disappointed that it's a Galaxy sequel, but "anything but that"? Really? I would love a Galaxy sequel, just not so soon.

You don't even know what ideas they'd implement in a sequel, so who are you to say what's disappointing and what's not?

Making a Galaxy 2 kinda tarnishes the whole thing that they've had going with the 3D Mario games.

Not really sure how to explain it but.. Super Mario 64 has a totally different feel/setting from that of Sunshine and Galaxy. Sunshine had you exploring tropical isles, etc whereas Galaxy had you soaring through the stars and going to different planets.

I just feel like it would cheapen what the developers tried to do with Galaxy and how they pushed to make it different from both Sunshine and Super Mario 64.

I'd prefer something new for the next Mario game, to be honest, but a Galaxy sequel wouldn't be a bad thing.

I personally would like to see more of a straight foward and linear Mario adventure next time, with levels that begin and end in a point A to point B fashion with a map screen to jump around in, like SMB3 and SMW, only 3D. Maybe there can be some 2D levels as well, but it'd be pretty cool to have and I'd love to play something like that.

I would love for them to actually implement the Mario or Luigi play in the next game to where ti wasn't basically the same thing with 1 or 2 differences between them.

I'd prefer something new for the next Mario game, to be honest, but a Galaxy sequel wouldn't be a bad thing.

I personally would like to see more of a straight foward and linear Mario adventure next time, with levels that begin and end in a point A to point B fashion with a map screen to jump around in, like SMB3 and SMW, only 3D. Maybe there can be some 2D levels as well, but it'd be pretty cool to have and I'd love to play something like that.

You sort of...just described Galaxy.

Indeed, when you really think about it, Galaxy did have that structure. Even the secret stars were handled in a way that made them more of "alternative exits" like in the 2D games, considering most took you on an entirely seperate, and different, path to a new goal.

You sort of...just described Galaxy.

:lol: You're right! Except for the map screen thing that's Galaxy down to the tee. Instead of walking past the "goal" we're getting a star, but it's essentially the same damn thing.

And JezMM right about the alternative exits thing too.

Edited by speedfreak

I would love for them to actually implement the Mario or Luigi play in the next game to where ti wasn't basically the same thing with 1 or 2 differences between them.

I agree entirely.

Something that I'd really like to see in a new 3D Mario game is more Mario Bros. action. Sure in Galaxy you could play as Luigi but it was hardly worth the effort in order to get him and even when you did it was still 'Play as one or the other.'

I think it would be awesome to see some Mario Bros. Bowser ownage like in the portable RPGs instead of the same old same old romp with Mario by himself. Why can't I play as Luigi at the beginning of the game? Or at the least acquire him later on for immediate use. Maybe put some challenges/obstacles in the way that Mario needs his little brother for or even a team system.

Potential co-op? Hell yes. Anything's better than that horrible excuse for 'co-op' that Mario Galaxy had. I just couldn't help but think 'Why even bother' when I found out about it.

A co-op Mario and Luigi adventure has the potential to be utterly fantastic. That would make me want to buy another 3D Mario game.