Awoo.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Patticus

I agree, I've wanted Mario and Luigi Co-op for a long time too. Though I think it'd be so unique you'd have to have a seperate game for regular 1-player Mario gameplay and Mario Bros. gameplay. Either that or they need to create some truly stellar AI for the uncontrolled brother (perhaps with some Pikmin style "rearing" controls for the lone player for extra accuracy).

I'd just like to defend the co-op mode on Galaxy though: My little sister and I loved it, as with me on the second remote, it essentially gave her an "easy mode" to play as I helped her out, without her having to ever pass me the controller to "do this bit" for her. Either that or my sister is just getting better at games lol.

Oh, and "counter-op mode" or "player 2 makes Mario jump all the fucking time" mode is always good for lulz as well.

Edited by JezMM

Remember when they showed early screenshots of NSMB and it was like... teasing us with Mario and Luigi seemingly going through single player together.... what ever happened to that? ....Seriously bogus.

New Super Mario Bros. is proof that using the classic formula isn't always good. That game bored me to death; I couldn't even tell whether it was easy or hard, because the further I got into the game, the more I realized that nothing interesting was ever going to happen in the levels. I can still go back and play SMB3 and be entertained, but I've given NSMB enough chances.

Besides, these days I can't really bear to play through most of the classic Mario games. The only console platformers from the NES/SNES era I still enjoy to this day are SMB3 and Yoshi's Island. Super Mario 64 is the only 3D Mario I've played extensively, but Galaxy looks fantastic, so I'm fine with the current formula in 3D.

Alongside CoOp Pokémon, CoOp Mario Bros is probably one of the things I've wanted most in a game for a long time. It's a great idea, why don't they ever use it? D:

Also, I want Wario and Yoshi to be playable :D

I'll take a Yoshi anything, honestly. Yoshi's Island has been one of my favorite games and would like another go at the series that's not Yoshi's Island DS with all the baby hassle. It was fun at short bursts but it just somehow lost a bit of the charm that the original had. And the copy-pasting level design and unconsistant difficulty made the game hard to go through.

Edited by Farfetch'd

Sorry if this has already been posted but just incase...

SUPER MARIO BROS Wii confirmed =D

2zz20xy.jpg

Fire flowers, coins, blocks etc.

16kqtqc.jpg

"Super Mario Bros Wii"

...No matter how much I try to scramble at that black cloth on the screen it won't come off. T_T Whyyyyy!?

This could be seriously awesome.

Jake, I'm surprised at your boredom for NSMB. I was consistantly impressed by the level design. They barely EVER reused ideas. Each level had it's own gimmick, rather than slowly introducing a number of gimmicks that would be rearranged into more elaborate obstacle courses on future levels (the angle of most platformers).

For example, I'll use World 2 and 8.

2-1: Only level where you have to jump over loads of tall Pokeys in a different way each time.

2-2: The standard Lakitu level.

2-3: The sewer stage - this level is so unique, it's entire tileset appears nowhere else in the game.

2-4: Using switches to shift the sand level is in abundunce here.

2-5: Has those enemies that hide in breakable blocks.

2-6: You have to avoid pirahna plants on a moving platform, and at the end you must use a pump to push a cork out of a pipe - a single fun gimmick that appears on no other levels.

2-A: You have to use those spinny high jump platforms to avoid the giant spiky fish in the sea below.

2-Tower: Heavy emphasis on spinning ferris wheels of platforms, and switch activated spinny square ones.

2-Castle: The introduction of rolling spike balls, in combination with the shifting sand switches of 2-4.

And then World 8:

8-1: Crows fly at you throughout the stage

8-2: You have to use switches to raise the water level to progress.

8-3: An escape from a giant eel (awesome stage)

8-4: Spiders drop down throughout the level.

8-5: Getting over lava with teetering platforms.

8-6: Escaping an erupting volcano

8-7: An onslaught of all the Koopa types and Hammer Bros. in the game.

8-8: Dodging volcanic rocks that can destroy the platforms you use.

8-Tower: The scenery moves about a lot.

8-Tower2: The return of those moving platforms you have to move with.

8-Castle: I'll admit, this one is pretty standard.

8-BowserCastle: Despite being the final stage, it still has a unique gimmick in the form of the rotating rooms and the classic Bowser Castle "maze" sequence at the end.

So yeah... I was continually impressed with the variety of the game, which is why it's one of my favourite 2D Mario games. I can remember almost every stage individually. Can't do that with 3 or World QUITE so well...

Edited by JezMM

When this get's revealed.... even though I know what it is... I am going to have a heart attack.

I thought awesome classic Mario games would happen once a generation, and be banished forever to handhelds.

Oh...dear lord me, my heart attack has started.

Well I doubt it will, but I hope th egame features Wario in some way.

...You sure that says Wii? If it does, it has to be too good to be true... Unless it's WiiWare. I'd seen this before on C3, but I really couldn't make out the last bit.

You're right... it does look like it says Wii.

FUCK. MUST. NOT. GET. HOPES. UP.

*loves Nintendo*

EDIT: Not good enough dude. Wario needs to be PLAYABLE.

Edited by #385 Jirachi

Okay, since we're being wishful about side-characters: Daisy and Waluigi as side-characters please. They're too awesome to not be in a game with a storyline. =(

I hope to god that this is no remake and that it's a new Mario platformer all in all.

I dunno, they could do a damn good remake if they tried. Donkey Kong '94 was one of the best remakes of all time, IMO.

Anyway, this looks awesome, I can't wait.

I'm really excited about playing both New Super Mario Bros Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and the third Mario and Luigi RPG game! Mario getting to ride Yoshi in Galaxy 2 was a real treat and brings back memories of Super Mario World.

Mario Galaxy 2 looks good, but it would've been way better if they had done something else like...

Mario on Yoshi's Island? Since Yoshi is such a heavy influence in this game?

Metroid The Other M makes up for it all the way, though.

Amazing Mario announcements, didn't expect Galaxy 2 at all. 2 3D Marios on one console, and 2 hardcore Marios announced on the same day to boot. Absolutely fantastic.

Lots of people think Mario Galaxy 2 is a bad idea. Why? Would you rather have Mario Sports 1,000,000? Mario Party 9? FFS, tons of party games on the side is suddenly fine, and more hardcore than you can handle is too much? Why do you have to complain about everything? (Noone in particular, just venting!)

HUGE Yoshi fan! Absolutely ecstatic about his inclusion, and should really make the game super enjoyable. It'll hopefully be like playing a super secret hidden half of the original Galaxy! Who in their right mind would hate that?

The Koopalings are back? Awesome.

Nintendo, you're absolutely spoiling us this year.

Lots of people think Mario Galaxy 2 is a bad idea. Why? Would you rather have Mario Sports 1,000,000? Mario Party 9? FFS, tons of party games on the side is suddenly fine, and more hardcore than you can handle is too much? Why do you have to complain about everything? (Noone in particular, just venting!)

For me it's not the case that I don't want to see a new Mario, but my biggest gripe with Mario Galaxy was that due to playing Mario 64 for the first time directly before obtaining Mario Galaxy, I felt like I had just paid to play exactly the same game again, hence feeling a bit ripped off. Couple that with the games non-existent difficulty, I just felt like a bit of a numpty that I was playing exactly the same game, with some of the levels being almost carbon copies. It was a solid game just a little soul-less really.

To me the new one seems like an expansion on the previous, so if I was to play Galaxy 1 before 2 I'd probably feel the same way.

You can tell I'm not excited for this right?

From you calling it a "fanboy pleaser" in the other thread I can tell you're not much of a Mario fan... Please don't let that get in your opinion of the fans and the series in general. There's a good reason it's so popular y'know. Galaxy was an excellent experience for many.

I'm not SUPER excited for Galaxy, but I will most likely get it. It will probably be a great game, but it will definitely be more of the same and not innovate as much as Sunshine-Galaxy did, but that's what the next Mario game on the next Nintendo will be for.

From you calling it a "fanboy pleaser" in the other thread I can tell you're not much of a Mario fan... Please don't let that get in your opinion of the fans and the series in general. There's a good reason it's so popular y'know. Galaxy was an excellent experience for many.

No I'm not a Mario fan, but that doesn't mean I dislike the Mario series. Au contrare Paper Mario 1&2 are some of the best games I've played (sadly not Super Paper Mario) and I quite enjoyed Mario 64, I just feel that Nintendo haven't really put that much thought into the recent titles, instead simply repeating the formula that worked without trying to achieve a better experience.

But as said tis my opinion nothing else, and tis got off topic. let's get back to the new games.