Awoo.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Patticus

I'm not excited for Super Mario Galaxy 2. I was not a fan of the first one =(

Before anyone jumps on me to say that I probably don't like Mario and whatnot, I do like Mario =). My first console was an NES, and Marios 1 and 3 were childhood faves. Super Mario Brothers 3 is my favourite of the 2D games, followed closely by New Super Mario brothers for the DS. I loved the Paper Mario games, and the handheld RPGs have been real nice too (never got to play Mario and Luigi 2 though =(!).

However, when I went to go play Super Mario Galaxy I was expecting something that was going to blow Super Mario 64 out of the water, and Super Mario 64 is one of my all time favourite platformers, and my fave 3D Mario Game (possibly even my fave Mario game!). Instead I got some game that was hyped up so much to be a Mario 64-2, one that was better than M64, and instead I felt very underwhelmed. After my initial excitement for the game wore off, I found it to be an okay game. That was it though...

The visuals and the soundtrack were its highest points for me, the visuals especially! But there was something about the gameplay that didn't click with me, and the level structures as well. It seemed to be less open than the environments in Mario 64 as well.

While I'm not excited for it personally, I hope that they make this game awesome for the fans of the Galaxy line of Mario games. I've got New Super Mario Brothers Wii to make me happy, so they'll compliment eachother nicely I'm sure ^_^. I'll just stick with New Super Mario Bros though myself =)

It seemed to be less open than the environments in Mario 64 as well.
I see that as a positive, personally. It feels more like a classic "get to the goal" sort of thing instead of wandering around looking for where you should be. And the levels that were more open were among my least favorites.

I see that as a positive, personally. It feels more like a classic "get to the goal" sort of thing instead of wandering around looking for where you should be. And the levels that were more open were among my least favorites.

True. There's nothing wrong with linear, especially when it's a platforming game. I don't really see the point of having anything open-ended. At least it's not like Sunshine where you still had to go through the entire area to just find one shine, and couldn't get any of the others like you could in 64. Galaxy just puts in a set stage for each star.

It boils down to a personal preference then, I liked the more open-ended environments that were in Mario 64. So it was a drawback for me ^^;

Regardless though, looking forward to New Super Mario Brothers and I'll just leave it at that =D

I think both new Marios looks great but for different reasons. I LOVED the first Galaxy so I'm really hyped about 2.

Now for the all important question, will Rosalina return?

Really, this looks like Nintendo's just taking concepts from older Mario games and placing them in Galaxy 2.

-Yoshi, obviously, is similar to Super Mario World,

-The red Yoshi looks like a recreation of those purple blobs from Super Mario World that let you run up walls,

-The blue Yoshi is an obvious alteration of the Bee Suit from the first Galaxy,

-The Megalegs ripoff boss is from the first game, and the fight itself looks similar to the fight from Yoshi's Island against Raphael,

-The dark area with all the Boos is an obvious homage to the Boo Houses from Super Mario World,

-And the big world at 1:34 and the flying gommbas are both taking straight from SMB3.

Other than that, nearly everything else looks the same from the first game and there appears to be no real difference in gameplay aside from the extra gimmicks.

There might be other similarities that can be made from other games, but I haven't played that many Mario games.

For me it's not the case that I don't want to see a new Mario, but my biggest gripe with Mario Galaxy was that due to playing Mario 64 for the first time directly before obtaining Mario Galaxy, I felt like I had just paid to play exactly the same game again, hence feeling a bit ripped off. Couple that with the games non-existent difficulty, I just felt like a bit of a numpty that I was playing exactly the same game, with some of the levels being almost carbon copies. It was a solid game just a little soul-less really.

To me the new one seems like an expansion on the previous, so if I was to play Galaxy 1 before 2 I'd probably feel the same way.

Well, it was certainly far easier which I agree was an issue. I mean, the lives were meaningless considering you get five free almost every time you finish a level. I was far too distracted by the pretty colors and Dali-ish environments to really give enough of a crap though. But if that's your issue, I wouldn't worry.

What Mr. Miyamoto has shared is that if the first Galaxy was maybe more inviting in terms of all the audiences, what Galaxy 2 is going to be is maybe a little more Nintendo fan / harder gamer focused. A little tougher. The use of Yoshi makes it a little more challenging. We showed some of the snippets of some of the activities -- it's a bit more challenging. It's going to be, if you will, for more of that passionate Mario fan who grew up getting challenged with Super Mario World. It's going to be much more in that area.
Edited by Mantyke

Other than that, nearly everything else looks the same from the first game and there appears to be no real difference in gameplay aside from the extra gimmicks.

So? There'll be entirely different levels too.

Look at the old Sonic games- They had the same gameplay with different stages, with very little changes to the core engine. It worked.

I think it'll work for Galaxy 2 as well.

Reggie you better not be lying! I would love that to be true. The early missions in Galaxy are really, really easy. It didn't pick up in difficulty until later in the game.

Galaxy 1 is a stone cold, shit hot, tepid piss, gold leaf classic of a game. In this case, I honestly don't care that it's not some massive leap forward, because the first game was so beautifully realised that more of the same really can't be a bad thing at all. Add in Yoshi and more Luigi and you've got a winning combination, it's just a shame that they haven't decided to include a co-op feature as the NSMBWii developers have.

So? There'll be entirely different levels too.

Look at the old Sonic games- They had the same gameplay with different stages, with very little changes to the core engine. It worked.

I think it'll work for Galaxy 2 as well.

Well, I guess if you look at it as a SA2 to the Mario games, I guess.

The director of SMG, Yoshiaki Koizumi, did say that there were some things that he wanted to implement into the first Galaxy but wasn't able to. So obviously this game seems to be fulfilling Koizumi's ideas rather than making something completely new. I wouldn't be surprised if this game was much shorter than most other Mario titles.

Galaxy 1 is a stone cold, shit hot, tepid piss, gold leaf classic of a game. In this case, I honestly don't care that it's not some massive leap forward, because the first game was so beautifully realised that more of the same really can't be a bad thing at all. Add in Yoshi and more Luigi and you've got a winning combination, it's just a shame that they haven't decided to include a co-op feature as the NSMBWii developers have.

How do we know they haven't? There could be some surprises in store for SMG2. It might not be the carbon copy everyone has pegged it as. Even if it is I'm still happy though. If you're gonna copy something you might as well copy gold!

How do we know they haven't?

Well we don't know really, but I'm sure they would've pimped it to high heaven if they did.

Galaxy 1 is a stone cold, shit hot, tepid piss, gold leaf classic of a game.
I'm confused, is that an insult or a compliment?

Well we don't know really, but I'm sure they would've pimped it to high heaven if they did.

Well, game companies don't often give all the big details at once. Edited by Mantyke

The first Galaxy really didn't amaze me. It was good, but it felt like an average title to me. At least it was a cut above Sunshine.

I just hope I see Rosalina back in this title...since it's a sequel, that might be an obvious shoe-in.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

For me it's not the case that I don't want to see a new Mario, but my biggest gripe with Mario Galaxy was that due to playing Mario 64 for the first time directly before obtaining Mario Galaxy, I felt like I had just paid to play exactly the same game again, hence feeling a bit ripped off. Couple that with the games non-existent difficulty, I just felt like a bit of a numpty that I was playing exactly the same game, with some of the levels being almost carbon copies. It was a solid game just a little soul-less really.

To me the new one seems like an expansion on the previous, so if I was to play Galaxy 1 before 2 I'd probably feel the same way.

I will agree with this, but considering that my Wii is currently picking up much dust (and probably still will), I'll probably end up getting this title to try and get some enjoyment out of the thing, so long as I can get the game fo a semi-affordable price.

Mario Galaxy 2 being tougher makes me very happy to hear. As long as they're as kind with the lives and don't make it difficult in the same way the purple coin challenges were difficult, I'll be happy.

I too am really excited for the plot explanation of why Mazza's off to space again, and whether Rosalina will return, though I'm gonna be avoiding spoilers like the plague. Last time I had the intro spoiled by watching a standard trailer. Not this time. I want this to be the freshest game ever. I'm even forbidding myself from watching the trailer again.

Corrcent me if I'm wrong, but because its been shown here now, are we expecting a release end of this year or end of next year?

I don't recall seeing or hearing any release dates, they just surprised us with the trailer and then moved on to the next item. If I'm right, my guess is they don't want to make any promises just yet. The game looks pretty far along though. Considering they were able to start the project with half the total programming and half the total concept work already done due to unused and reused stuff from Galaxy, I imagine we won't have to wait too long.

It's kind of the same deal as Ocarina Of Time -> Majora's Mask, and there were only two years between release on those.

Ashur gets it right. I'm going to have a mini rant now so if you have any doubts about these games then please don't tl;dr it!!

Right, first of all I'm going to say that Mario is definitely best known for his platforming antics, not his racing, not his party games. He's loved by all kinds of gamers alike, with good reason.

So what did Nintendo give us in the 6th gen? Remakes and party games. That was pretty much it. We never complained back then right? The Gamecube was awesome, the Wii sucks. Nintendo suck now, yeah, we know.

- So, we get 2 3D Marios and 2 2D Marios released within 5 years. HOLY FUCK. SHITSTORM. HATE NINTENDO FOR MILKING THE SERIES. FUUCK.

- No, that logic sucks. It makes absolutely no sense. Listen to yourselves, do you want Mario Party 9? Nintendo are finally listening to the "hardcore" and we still love to complain. No, shut up please.

Now, I understand the concern that Galaxy 2 may just feel like a Galaxy expansion pak at times. Great, if you'd prefer it to be that, consider it as that and the problem is gone.

OR, remember how sequels generally work. That's right, Halo 3 ODST is a standalone expansion.... no, it's pretty much a new game they can't be bothered to make an engine for, but also so they can keep the fans happy with steady releases. What's so wrong with that? Urm... nothing?

-Remember how Sonic 2 was like Sonic 1 but with new levels? HOLY SHIT WE LOVE THEM BOTH.

-And remember how 2D Mario has been like that since the beginning of time? Different powerups and new levels? YEAH ME TOO. Except now it's got CoOp, which the Mario series has needed since it's very conception.

Seriously, Nintendo fans are as bad as Sonic fans at saying what they want. ;)

And to everyone else who's excited for both games, I love you. And Mario Galaxy 2 would be instantly better than the first if it had Mario & Luigi CoOp ^^

Ashur gets it right. I'm going to have a mini rant now so if you have any doubts about these games then please don't tl;dr it!!

Right, first of all I'm going to say that Mario is definitely best known for his platforming antics, not his racing, not his party games. He's loved by all kinds of gamers alike, with good reason.

So what did Nintendo give us in the 6th gen? Remakes and party games. That was pretty much it. We never complained back then right? The Gamecube was awesome, the Wii sucks. Nintendo suck now, yeah, we know.

- So, we get 2 3D Marios and 2 2D Marios released within 5 years. HOLY FUCK. SHITSTORM. HATE NINTENDO FOR MILKING THE SERIES. FUUCK.

- No, that logic sucks. It makes absolutely no sense. Listen to yourselves, do you want Mario Party 9? Nintendo are finally listening to the "hardcore" and we still love to complain. No, shut up please.

Now, I understand the concern that Galaxy 2 may just feel like a Galaxy expansion pak at times. Great, if you'd prefer it to be that, consider it as that and the problem is gone.

OR, remember how sequels generally work. That's right, Halo 3 ODST is a standalone expansion.... no, it's pretty much a new game they can't be bothered to make an engine for, but also so they can keep the fans happy with steady releases. What's so wrong with that? Urm... nothing?

-Remember how Sonic 2 was like Sonic 1 but with new levels? HOLY SHIT WE LOVE THEM BOTH.

-And remember how 2D Mario has been like that since the beginning of time? Different powerups and new levels? YEAH ME TOO. Except now it's got CoOp, which the Mario series has needed since it's very conception.

Seriously, Nintendo fans are as bad as Sonic fans at saying what they want. ;)

And to everyone else who's excited for both games, I love you. And Mario Galaxy 2 would be instantly better than the first if it had Mario & Luigi CoOp ^^

No one complained that they got a new Mario 3D Platformer. In fact they're happy its not a spinoff.

The dissappointment on my part (most likely alot of others) is that I wanted something new instead of a sequel. The fact that Nintendo was working on a direct sequel is pretty surprising on my part but I'm stuck whether I'm pleased or dissappointed. Galaxy was a really good game but most of us even played the game twice cause of 121 stars and by that time many people became bored of going through the same thing again, which is why when I personally see Nintendo announcing a new Mario 3D game, I expect something new and very good, even better. A new 3D Mario Platformer came as an amazing surprise for me; the fact that it was a sequel was even more of one. But a pleasant surprise? Not very much.

Galaxy 2 and Galaxy 1 will most likely be what Mario Sunshine was to Mario 64.

Edited by Otsego Rotom

No one complained that they got a new Mario 3D Platformer. In fact they're happy its not a spinoff.

Everyone seems to be complaining from where I'm standing.

The dissappointment on my part (most likely alot of others) is that I wanted something new instead of a sequel. The fact that Nintendo was working on a direct sequel is pretty surprising on my part but I'm stuck whether I'm pleased or dissappointed. Galaxy was a really good game but most of us even played the game twice cause of 121 stars and by that time many people became bored of going through the same thing again, which is why when I personally see Nintendo announcing a new Mario 3D game, I expect something new and very good, even better. A new 3D Mario Platformer came as an amazing surprise for me; the fact that it was a sequel was even more of one. But a pleasant surprise? Not very much.

They keep saying they're continuing work on the "Mario 128 Project". Isn't that good enough for you? At the rate of excellence usually found in the Mario series, we wouldn't be able to expect an all new Mario for another 5 years atleast. This way we'll almost certainly get both, and you're disappointed with that?

Seriously, this way we get more Mario platforming action, and less party crap in between great games. Mario Galaxy 2 will be undeniably excellent to play at least for the first time. When has more of an amazing thing ever not been pleasant?

Galaxy 2 and Galaxy 1 will most likely be what Mario Sunshine was to Mario 64.

Sunshine was pretty damn different IMO. Much more freeroaming and a lot less platforming. + FLUDD.

Galaxy was a really good game but most of us even played the game twice cause of 121 stars and by that time many people became bored of going through the same thing again

I've done a full 242 star run three times total at the very least and I'm still in love with the game. Maybe it's just me. D=

They keep saying they're continuing work on the "Mario 128 Project".

The Mario 128 project isn't and never was a game. I'm sure Shigsy said years back that what they and people refer to as "Mario 128" is a series of projects that resulted in a number of different games. The closest thing we'll ever see to Mario 128 was the 128 Marios demo at the E3 before the GameCube came out. That was one of many experiments which eventually got intergrated into Pikmin (tons of independant characters on-screen at once).

Mario Galaxy is another fruit of the Mario 128 project, and whatever the next Mario game is, that probably will be as well.

Such is my understanding anyway.

*post*

Or you could accept the fact that certain people want/accept a different experience that you are having with the main Mario franchise. And there's not one big unanimous idea on what fans want from Nintendo. We are all entitled to our opinions and just because I'm not claiming Galaxy to be the be all and end all does not mean that my opinion is somehow invalid. And for the record as me or Urtheart did not complain about actually getting a 3D Mario platformer and I too am happy that it is not a spin off but for reasons previously stated I'm quite disappointed (and a brief glance around the web, shows I'm not alone on this).

I happy that your excited good for you. I'd rather prefer you not shoving it in my throat however.