Awoo.

Why was my topic locked?/No Sonic 06 topics?

Badnik Mechanic

...and what exactly are we going to discuss in that thread? That's right, how bad '06 was.

Well I don't know about anyone else... but I'm still waiting for the people who were complaining that there are too many active Sonic 06 threads to actually post the links to them instead of trying to convince us that they're there, without providing anything or the sort to actually back it up.

A VERY well thought out topic on Sonic 2006 with 38 likes made by one of Sonic Stadium's own staff and respected forum user is not like generic Sonic 2006 topic 28,900 about how the game sucks balls. I say unlock the topic due to its professionalism, and lock this one asap before it turns in to a bitching topic.

I can only speak for myself, but I liked the post because it was funny and awesome. Not because of the thread discussion. I can only imagine how many other users laughed at the post and enjoyed it but didn't want to bother discussing the games faults. Also about the "Where is the thread the several users mentioned?" Well, it is the "Who Loves 06" thread. You could have easily posted it to debate against the constant upstream of positivity. It also has been changed to the official 06 thread.

http://board.sonicst...e-any-more-etc/

I'm wondering why the thread wasn't merged though.

Edit: Is it really that big of a deal that the thread was moved over into a general Sonic 06 thread? I can understand your view point, but it just seem like something dumb to complain about. My threads have been merged before (Announcement of New Game --> Merged into Original Game's topic) and etc.

Edit 2: How much you want to bet that the thread would have died fairly quickly anyways? Again, the only redeeming part of the thread was the OP so does it deserve an entire thread? With everyone claiming "BEATING A DEAD HORSE" on every other publication on this planet?

Edited by Autosaver

Well I don't know about anyone else... but I'm still waiting for the people who were complaining that there are too many active Sonic 06 threads to actually post the links to them instead of trying to convince us that they're there, without providing anything or the sort to actually back it up.

..Does it even matter? The point is that the game is brought up and discussed far more than it actually should and it only leads to problems. And honestly, three topics on a single game and one duplicate is a lot for a game that's universally panned.

You know what other game wasn't received well by the fanbase? Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Where are the three topics about that? I reiterate:

[T]hat one would have ended up no differently. By that of course I mean that it'd be full of nothing but bitching, negativity and snark.

There's just too big and obvious of a precedent. No one really likes talking about this game. It puts everyone in a bad mood. It forces everyone to remember a time when Sonic was at his lowest. I don't get why people even want to discuss it so much, if at all.

Just brings the whole forum down.

I am honestly starting to think part of the reason bringing up this game and nonsense like "Sonic Adventure 3" is so popular is because this fanbase just loves stirring up negative emotions. It'd be nice if we could move the fuck past it.

I see nothing genuinely productive that comes from bringing up this game at this point in time. I seriously do not.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 4

As far as current discussions go, we have had four ongoing or recent ones, which constitutes to me as a lot. The two "who loves the game?" topics, one "who wants it re-released?" topic, and one "why it's bad" topic - ultimately despite them all serving different purposes, they would boil down to the same dang thing: people explaining why it's terrible.

It's really easier to just keep this all in one topic when there's really no way the conversation would be any different. So now I have turned one of the topics into a general Sonic 2006 topic where everything can be talked about.

Again, I understand your frustration but there is only so much I can say about the matter, so I'll leave it up to an admin to determine if my actions were out of line. And may I mention that mods have typically tried to enforce as few topics on a single discussion as possible, so turning one of the 2006 topics into a general thread was how I went about it.

So, the short version: every Sonic 2006 topic ultimately turns into a "why it sucks" thread, so it's better to just have one thread. There's just no other direction any Sonic 2006 thread can go.

Maybe if the game wasn't so controversial, we could have different threads pertaining to different aspects. But we just can't.

• Thumbs Up 7

Really, it says a lot that a game like Sonic 06 get's more topics than a game like ShTH, and we all know how hated THAT game is.

Really, the only conclusion is that people just love to pull people's legs over that game. It's one thing that ShTH tends to attract a lot of Shadow fanboys who defend the game's flaws as a strength, but combine fanboyism with the likes of there always being people calling Sonic 06 as the very SA3 which lead to a ban on such topics and you just have nothing more than people taking a knife and twisting it in people's wounds.

That game generally incites nothing but anger, and after I've been in the ragefest this message board was in during this game's release I think we can do with less of that nowadays.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the question of why the topic was locked has now been suitably answered by Sean. I will back him up on his points. The staff do tend to keep controversial subjects to single topics, especially when they are long-running issues. Sonic 06 has been getting discussion, heated discussion (to say the least) since....well, since 2006. Over half a decade.

Now really, I can understand your frustration, Hogfather, because you put a lot of time into the topic so yeah you're definately going to feel stung by having your topic locked. Still, it will turn into the same thing as every other Sonic 06 topic we've had here over the years, so it really is better to just have one general thread where everybody who still wants to can bitch to their hearts content about the game.

Mods have had to deal with quite a bit of shit lately with daft bastards making troll accounts and duplicate accounts to circumvent bans, so understand why we'd prefer to just have one topic with Sonic 06 bitching instead of a bunch with the same basic content.

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm going to side with Hogfather on this. His topic wasn't specifically about '06 (despite the unfortunate naming and large concentration on '06). It was about how deaths in the Sonic series were handled. Perhaps, if it had continued, we would have talked about the handling of death of other characters in the series, like Shara, Maria... and perhaps expanding in to other media, and talking about how we feel deaths in the series should be handled.

So Hogfather, here's my advice. If you don't want to re-post this in the '06 topic... Repost it as a new topic, only name it something more open, like "Deaths in the Sonic series - How they should/shouldn't be handled" or something like that.

Edited by Paradox
  • Thumbs Up 2

So Hogfather, here's my advice. If you don't want to re-post this in the '06 topic... Repost it as a new topic, only name it something more open, like "Deaths in the Sonic series - How they should/shouldn't be handled" or something like that.

i'm going to disagree with this, it'll still boil down to pointless bickering and another 06 topic that we all roll our eyes at.

seriously discussing and mocking 06 got old a long time ago.

• Thumbs Up 5

Look, Hogfather's topic was very professional, but I have to agree with the locking and the banning. We need to leave the past in the past, where it belongs (I suppose I'm biased for thinking topics about Sonic 1-Sonic Adventure are okay but at least I'm admitting it), and I for one am very, very sick of the negativity in this fanbase. We talk about *it* more than we do about Sonic 1, CD, 2, 3&K etc, and THAT'S NO GOOD!

• Thumbs Up 2

@Hogfather: You essentially have the fanbase to blame, because any attempt to start a discussion regarding...it, will inevitably turn into a festering mire of hatred, the likes of which I'm sure no-one wants to see again.

If you're determined to have this posted and really don't want to post in the '06 topic, I'd take Paradox's suggestion.

The game is guilty of being shit;* it's the fans who are guilty of being unable to control themselves and move on. As has been mentioned far too many times, yes, the game sucked, but it sucking should not be used as a scapegoat in order for people to bitch about the same issues that everyone bitched about six years ago.

*Actually, scrap that. It isn't the fault of the game for being shit, but the developers'. The notion that I should blame the game is ludicrous.

So, uh, yeah, the fanbase is guilty for what the fanbase chooses to do.

Edited by Liliana Vess
  • Thumbs Up 1

The game is crap

everyone knows it's crap

You make a thread about it? That's ALL that will be brought up, because everything that's needed to be said has been said already.

So if you should be pointing fingers at anyone, it's the people who keep fucking making threads about it, not everyone else.

I mean fuck, look at this thread, we're bitching ABOUT the bitching, and even THAT has been done to death.

There is litterally nothing left to talk about.

Edited by Solkia-kun
  • Thumbs Up 2

You make a thread about it? That's ALL that will be brought up, because everything that's needed to be said has been said already.

Did anyone actually read what I wrote... In fact did anyone actually read the responces people made to it? Or have we all just assumed that it was a typical Sonic 06 topic started by someone who was deliberately looking for a reaction.

Because when I look back at the people who did respond to it, other than those who said 'it's another Sonic 06 topic! *again... total of 2 not including mine at the time of posting* everybody was actually contributing to what I was talking about. Which wasn't a mindless 'lets all hate sonic 06' which is what some people here seem to think it was.

I'm just getting a tad sick of this generalisation here. First of all it was 'theres too many Sonic 06 topics!/Not another Sonic 06 topic' you then point out there was only 3 on the first page, then you need to go back to page 8/July to find another... now it's "Oh well... we can't have them anyway because it might cause arguments...'

• Thumbs Up 6

People weren't saying that you made it is a "Lets all hate Sonic 06" topic, people were saying that it was going to boil down to it.

Your post was about how Sonic's death was handled terribly compared to previous games and other media. Yeah.. so? Sonic's death was one of the biggest points being laughed at. Please don't tell me you weren't here when everyone made fun of how the game killed him off in the worst way manageable. Some people say that it wasn't another Sonic 06 topic, please explain. This IS another Sonic 06 topic focusing on one issue with the game - one that was done to death by IGN, Gametrailers, Youtube, SSMB, Sonic Retro, TSSZNews, The Public, etc. The death is always shown as "terrible SEGA! TERRIBLE!" by the media.

Now about that "Too Many" comment, more than 1 is already too many. Why not condense all of it into one thread if they're all going to boil down to the same thing? That is the point several including the mods have made. A majority of the replies were about how they liked your post, I don't think it would continue on after that. HogFather, I congratulate you on your thread but do people really like discussing Sonic 06? Seems very hypocritical when 99% of SSMB tells GameTrailers to stop making fun of Sonic's death in Sonic 06 and then praise you for... doing the same? I thought we wanted Sonic 06 to drop?

We could even assume the position of Sonic 06 as "SA3". Don't post about it. Like Meth, not even once. HogFather, is it really that big of a deal? It was just a topic lock. Ok, you disagree with it, but what can anyone do? Just move on - it doesn't need to blown out of proportion.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm just getting a tad sick of this generalisation here. First of all it was 'theres too many Sonic 06 topics!/Not another Sonic 06 topic' you then point out there was only 3 on the first page, then you need to go back to page 8/July to find another...

I'll ignore how Chooch already told you why this didn't mean anything, and focus on how you keep harping on the raw numbers of them.

You say that there was "only" 3, and then you have to go looking to find more that are older (nevermind how the moderation staff has been making it clear for the past few months that the search feature is something that should be used rather than ignored). Well, I'm not sure how else to put this, but three concurrent topics covering pretty much the same ground is already 2 too many when they inevitably end up being the same thing; because:

now it's "Oh well... we can't have them anyway because it might cause arguments...'

Not "might." Every. Single. One. You've been here since the game came out, just like me and Chooch have. You know the score for what happens in them.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 5