Awoo.

What happened with Sonic Colours

Blue Wisp

Okay, so, anybody remember this game:

278px-Colorspromo.png

You surely do, Sonic Colours, at first people were iffy about it considering we only got a CGI teaser trailer around March-April 2010 and it was literally out of nowhere. And it seemed to introduce a new type of characters which were unnamed yet, nothing big.

Then, gameplay appeared. REJOICE, it seemed to be a Sonic-only game with (SURPRISE) daytime gameplay, it also introduced the Wisps which gave Sonic different power-ups and gave him new abilities (and old abilities too). People were excited and started saying stuff like "Sonic's back on the road."

4640469436_708c23f35c.jpg

Story bits were revealed, Eggman apparently turned on a new leaf and constructed a MOTHERFUCKING INTERGALACTIC SPACE AMUSEMENT PARK connected to Earth with a space elevator, as usual Sonic didn't believe this and found out that Eggman was using the Wisps as a living battery and thus the blue hedgehog decided to stop the evil genius from doing evil genius stuff.

47318-186964-SonicColoursWiiAsteroidCoasterScreenshot10jpg-620x.jpg

As time went along, new places were revealed. The Starlight Carnival, shiny starfleet of colours. Planet Wisp, the wonderful home-planet of the new aliens which was slowly turned into a Scrap Brain look-a-like. Asteroid Coaster, a frenetic and dangerous rollercoaster built in the middle of space across an asteroid field. The zones were met with immense positive feedback and overall fans and critics alike were excited for this new venture (lala~).

90px-Colours_BsicPose_Wisps.png

Along with the new places, new characters were revealed, the Wisps. A strange race of alien lifeforms that could get inside Sonic (ew) and gave the blue blur different abilities to help him on his way, including the White Boost Wisp which gave our hero the ability to... Well, boost. The Green Hover Wisp which allowed Sonic to turn into an UFO-like thing that also allowed Sonic to do the Light Speed Dash. The Violet Frenzy Wisp which turned Sonic into a giant purple Pac-Man. People weren't THAT excited for them, but they were still met with positive feedback too.

November 2010 looms through, everyone getting hyped for the game. It releases, it's met with quite positive feedback and is said to be Sonic's "return to glory" game. Critics in general agree that this was the first Sonic good game in SEGA AGES. Fans thought that too, at least the majority did. Either way Sonic Colours was a success in all possible ways and SEGA should feel proud of the job they did.

Now...

Lately, I have seen how Sonic Colours' reception seemed to have dropped compared to how it was back in 2010 and I will be honest when I say that I don't get WHY.

WHY is Sonic Colours ugly compared to what people thought back in 2010? What is wrong with the game?

EDIT: Note, if you plan on doing some god domnod argument about Sonic Colours, you can go take it someplace else. Keep this place clean and don't insult anyone okay, I did not do this topic just for some guys turn this topic into a battlezone.

Edited by Blue Wisp

Colours is still one of my favorite 3D games, and I loved it back in 2010, and beat it, and got all the red rings. But nowadays, I try to play the game, but I just get bored. I still love many things about Colors, don't get me wrong, such as the Wisps, music, and atmosphere, but when I try to play the game, I just can't get the same excitement out of the game back as I did in 2010.

As much as I love the game, it has in all honesty worsened for me over time. Going back to it after playing Sonic Generations for a while, it feels quite stiff and neutered, like were really kind of forcing it to work for the Wii. As much of a bias as I may have against things like HD remakes, I seriously would pay good money for one of Colors.

There isn't much to talk about the game, really. It's a pretty good game, but after you beat it and get all the collectibles there's nothing to do.

Really now, the reason there isn't that much discussion about it is because it's not a controversial game in any fashion, unlike Unleashed, 2006 or basically any other game. It's super safe to the max in every way.

As much as I love the game, it has in all honesty worsened for me over time. Going back to it after playing Sonic Generations for a while, it feels quite stiff and neutered, like were really kind of forcing it to work for the Wii. As much of a bias as I may have against things like HD remakes, I seriously would pay good money for one of Colors.

Edited by Kiovle

Colors is still one of may favorite Sonic games ever, right there behind Sonic 2, S3&K, and Generations.

It just oozes charm and originality. From the stages, to the music, to the fun and light hearted story, to the overall good and solid gameplay. I just love this game from top to bottom.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well, some things aren't as good as they used to be the first time we played them.

Sonic and the Black Knight doesn't hold up very well for me.

Colors is still my favorite 2D/3D Sonic game, and I feel it got better after my first playthrough. :3

Really now, the reason there isn't that much discussion about it is because it's not a controversial game in any fashion, unlike Unleashed, 2006 or basically any other game. It's super safe to the max in every way.

Yeah, this is pretty much why this game doesn't get much in the way of discussion. It's quite interesting, if a bit saddening, when you think about it...

The hype died down, that's all there is to it. During the PR stage, and a few months after release, Colors was basically the holy grail of the franchise as it did the impossible, it was a 3D(Yes I know it's mostly 2D, shut the hell up) Sonic game that was actually good. That alone would make this game seem like the greatest thing ever, and for a while it was.

But after the hype died down, around the time Generations was announced, people started to analyze Colors and see that it wasn't all that great, I mean it's undoubtedly a good game, and it's one of Sonic's better outings since the 3D era but it's not all that memorable or interesting otherwise. I mean the gameplay is more or less what you've already seen in Unleashed minus the Werehog, with another gimmick added. The story is completely paper thin and does little to nothing to grab you outside of subjective humor, and after you've completed every task, got every Red Ring and unlocked Super Sonic, there's not much else to do. No Soundtrack to unlock, no concept artwork, no nothing, it's completed. I mean some people might enjoy it after the fact, but Colors feels more like a pit-stop than the actual destination.

At least that's my take on it.

• Thumbs Up 2

My stance on Colors hasn't really changed at all. I enjoyed it quite a lot when I first went through it, but I don't think it's without its problems and I don't even think it's better than Sonic Unleashed. Let alone Sonic Generations.

The problem with the game is that it simply doesn't have that lasting appeal and reasons to go back and play it over and over. It's unbelievably short and it's severely lacking in content and replay value. There are the Red Star Rings sure, but the reward for getting them is, quite honestly, pretty shit and not even really worth your time.

The Wisp powers are fun at first but the majority of them become incredibly monotonous after using them the first few times. After the novelty wears off, I found myself kind of moaning in disgust at a lot of the times that I was being forced to use them in order to complete a section. Cube is boring. Rocket is boring. Frenzy controls like shit. Laser is fun to watch, but completely strips control away from the player when you use it. All in all most of them kinda suck in one way or another.

Wisps are the main reason I think Aquarium Park is so awful. For me, it's easily the worst stage in the entire game and is the perfect example of everything I don't like in Sonic Colors. 'Good music' be damned. Can you even say that you heard the Aquarium Park theme music that much while actually playing the game? The main song I remember hearing was the stupid underwater Drill theme. Yeah, fun times.

The Wisp powers kill the flow of the gameplay and are annoyingly redundant, the level design is generally weak and too focused on 2D gameplay and the few portions of the game that are in a 3D perspective require little to no input from the actual player and are just an excuse to show off how good the game looks. It's rather irksome.

I like 2D gameplay. I really do. It was one of my favorite parts of the Unleashed formula. At the end of the day tho' this is supposed to be a fucking 3D Sonic game so I want to be able to fully control Sonic in 3D. Not just dick around boosting and Quick Stepping for 30 seconds or so in what's basically a mini-game and then go back to mashing on the Wisp transformation button in 2D sections.

Speaking of mini-games.. That's how a lot of the later acts for certain stages felt to me. It's like Sonic Team only really felt arsed to create one or two halfway decent full acts for each stage and then decided that Acts 3 through 6 should just be silly, one minute or less snooze-fests centered around a single a gimmick and call it a day.

They even have the nerve to make them mandatory to play before getting access to the boss level and subsequently the next stage. It's like Generations' Challenge Acts if you had to play all of them for a single Sonic before getting a boss key for a level. ..Not really that fun.

The boss battles weren't really all that memorable either outside of the very last one. I seriously don't remember a single one other than the Egg Nega Wisp. Maybe it's because those were all 2D and the whole game is just a massive blur of rather uninspired 2D sections. Hahaha.

It really may seem like I hate this game, but really.. I don't. Thing is, Colors is far from perfect and I think it's perfectly understandable why people would enjoy playing Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations more. I prefer those games over Colors too.

I just.. don't have any reason to go back to it. Everything I said here still applies to me to this day.

There's just too many issues I have with the game. I'd rather play Generations. I'd rather play Unleashed.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 6

Colors was a fun game the first play through mostly bc of how hyped I was for it. But after playing it again I realized how bland the levels actually are, they're either boost to win hallways with occasional drift or quickstep sequences or 2d sections with really generic blocky platforming. None of the stages had any really memorable segments that made me want to play through it again for fun and they all lacked the creativity that other games like rayman origins or DK Country Returns had when it came to stage design.In some cases it borders on being cheap and lazy with parts of certain acts being reused 2 or 3 times in a world. Seriously Sonic Team?. would it have been that hard to create a unique layout for each stage without copying and pasting the same hallways and platform set ups?

Edited by sjmaster92
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the problem with both Colors/Generations in that while they're good games, and the best 3D games to date they lack drive or ambition. These games just don't have the love and effort you'd expect from a series like this, and it shows by just how much they're playing it safe, they took no risks and as a result they're just unremarkable.

Yeah sure, every game pre-Colors had something wrong with it, and they were subpar games but at least they were ambitious about it. Both 06 & Unleashed had the biggest PR buzz of possibly any game in the series, and you can tell Sonic Team were ambitious about their work, and if both games didn't suck, they'd probably been great and more fondly remembered. After two games where their ambitious have been critically panned, you can tell they just stopped giving a fuck and are just going through the motions.

I find it incredibly saddening and annoying how they can make good, if unremarkable games when they aren't trying, but when they actually do try and are passionate about it, they find some way to fuck it up. I mean god, is it too much to ask for a game to be ambitious and driven and actually be good?

• Thumbs Up 2

It's the same thing that happens with almost every game in today's age. Call it nostalgia/being young but in the 90's games had more replay value. There's PS1 games that last longer than Sonic Colors.

Boring game is boring game.

Sonic Colors has no real replay value. It's the kind of game that once you play it you really have no desire to play it anymore.

In trying to make everyone like Sonic again Sega is played things way to safe.

Gameplay wise the game plays well but I'm not a fan of the space themepark level designs.

I don't even know were to fucking begin. I find the story to be boring. There's nothing interesting about it. And why is Robotnik a fucking manchild in this game? The jokes are terrible and instead of being cool Sonic comes across as being stupid.

• Thumbs Up 1

And why is Robotnik a fucking manchild in this game?

Enslaving an entire alien race, draining their energy to power a cannon the size of a theme park and attempting to brainwash the entire planet to his bidding is the work of a manchild? That seems a lot more menacing than say, pointing a gun at some girl's head like teh supar badazz eggman in SA2, that scene everyone seems to bring up all the time. Yay for the post-06 manchild eggman

Edited by Prince Solaris
  • Thumbs Up 8

To be perfectly honest, none of the games in this franchise have a whole lot of replay value. I haven't picked Colors up since I beat it the first time, but I still have almost nothing but good things to say about the game.

I'm kind of surprised to see that the consensus on it has changed, actually. While I like Generations better for a variety of reasons, I think that Colors is actually a better game from a technical standpoint. Nothing about it was left unpolished and I found nary a glitch or poorly designed level in the game.

EDIT: And yes, Eggman has always been a manchild. Always. That's part of his charm.

Edited by AXB
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't even know were to fucking begin. I find the story to be boring. There's nothing interesting about it. And why is Robotnik a fucking manchild in this game? The jokes are terrible and instead of being cool Sonic comes across as being stupid.

Eggman has always been a manchild. It says so right in his bio

CS_E_US.png

The jokes were meant to be corny and childish. If you don't like that that's fine, but don't pretend Sonic is portrayed as any less stupid in any of the other games, whether on purpose or accident, save maybe for Unleashed.

Edited by Kiovle
  • Thumbs Up 3

To be perfectly honest, none of the games in this franchise have a whole lot of replay value. I haven't picked Colors up since I beat it the first time, but I still have almost nothing but good things to say about the game.

I'm kind of surprised to see that the consensus on it has changed, actually. While I like Generations better for a variety of reasons, I think that Colors is actually a better game from a technical standpoint. Nothing about it was left unpolished and I found nary a glitch or poorly designed level in the game.

Yeah, I never had the game glitch out on me which is great. And the glitches you can find are actually pretty fun like the '3D Sonic controls in a 2D plane' glitch

• Thumbs Up 2

I still love it. Top 5 Sonic game for me. Love it more than Generations. But honestly like its been said. Sonic Team isn't trying to make history with their games anymore. Colors was great in presentation and feel. It just FELT like the next step. However it lacked in the gameplay because ST wasn't willing to take risks. 2 wisps per stage? Mini-acts? Invisible walls that don't allow back tracking? I don't know if it was hardware limitations, but they didn't even tap into their full potential for their newest gimmick. Sweet Mountain Act 3, and the Aquarium Park stages were the only standout stages that went all out for creative use of wisps.

What Sonic Generations has over it is speedrun potential. Colors lacks that fluidity that many other Sonic games have. Like a racer, you can pickup SG and blast through a few levels. Colors isn't really isn't that type of game with limited boost, and heavier platforming.

The sad thing is I feel Colors deserves a proper fleshed out sequel. But we won't get one because Sonic Team feels the need to get a brand new concept each major game.

Edited by thatguyfrom03

Robotnik wasn't a fucking manchild in the Sonic Adventure games. He tried to destroy Station Square in SA1. And in SA2 he blows up military bases, comes up with a plan to get six of the seven Chaos Emeralds and very nearly kills Sonic.

So Eggman isn't a man child because he does evil things.

By that logic Eggman in Colors isn't a man child because he also does evil things.

• Thumbs Up 4

Robotnik wasn't a fucking manchild in the Sonic Adventure games. He tried to destroy Station Square in SA1. And in SA2 he blows up military bases, comes up with a plan to get six of the seven Chaos Emeralds and very nearly kills Sonic.

So what the fuck are you trying to say? He does evil shit cuz he's the fucking bad guy, he does evil shit in Colors, cuz he's the fucking bad guy. Seriously, you have no argument, take your fanwank somewhere else.

Those were two games, each with an exponentially darker tone than the rest of the series. Eggman has always been a flamboyant egg-themed supervillain whose evil acts are complemented hammy behavior.