Awoo.

What happened with Sonic Colours

Blue Wisp

Robotnik wasn't a fucking manchild in the Sonic Adventure games. He tried to destroy Station Square in SA1. And in SA2 he blows up military bases, comes up with a plan to get six of the seven Chaos Emeralds and very nearly kills Sonic.

Eggman succeeds in blowing up the eath after fooling Sonic into bringing him all 7 Chaos emeralds.

Eggmanchild is > SA Eggman

Edit: Why the fuck am I bothering with this? You've clearly demonstrated you cannot be reasoned with.

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 2

Edit: Why the fuck am I bothering with this? You've clearly demonstrated you cannot be reasoned with.

Because we've lost control of our lives.

• Thumbs Up 3

To be perfectly honest, none of the games in this franchise have a whole lot of replay value. I haven't picked Colors up since I beat it the first time, but I still have almost nothing but good things to say about the game.

I'm kind of surprised to see that the consensus on it has changed, actually. While I like Generations better for a variety of reasons, I think that Colors is actually a better game from a technical standpoint. Nothing about it was left unpolished and I found nary a glitch or poorly designed level in the game.

The enjoyability of a game doesn't solely depend on whether or not it's polished. Once you get to a certain point of solidity and cleanliness, then a game's appeal comes down to the rest of its design decisions, and there's very few from Colors I can even remember being so outstanding as to outshine the absolute best of Generations or even Unleashed. Aside from Terminal Velocity and the characterization of the cast overall, Colors proceeds to do nothing extraordinary or noteworthy as either a Sonic game or as a platformer in general today. It's like the original Pong. Yeah, it's got a sensible and focused design and it's pretty polished for what it is, so that technically makes it good, but beyond that do you really play it anymore?

• Thumbs Up 2

Robotnik wasn't a fucking manchild in the Sonic Adventure games. He tried to destroy Station Square in SA1. And in SA2 he blows up military bases, comes up with a plan to get six of the seven Chaos Emeralds and very nearly kills Sonic.

But what about the original games, you know, the ones that DONT suck? Remember orignal goofy fat eggman?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, id say Colors is a bit more wilder and worth replaying than the original Pong.....

Unless I read that comparison wrong.

In Unleashed Colors and Generations, all games with his manchild personality, he actually succeeds in tearing the earth apart and creating his Eggmanland, enslaves an entire race of aliens to absorb their energy (Frieza-tier work right there), and fucks up time and space just to destroy Sonic, not to mention that for once the monster he takes control of doesn't dominate him. All without the chaos emeralds too.

Edited by Prince Solaris
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well, id say Colors is a bit more wilder and worth replaying than the original Pong.....

Unless I read that comparison wrong.

Naturally Colors is more exciting than Pong, but I feel that its most notable feature is its polish. Sure, the planets aren't explored in any real detail, the level design isn't all that challenging or memorable, and the actual storyline's pretty naff and full of loose ends, but hey, it's competent and has a straightforward design, so clearly it's awesomesauce, right? But again, so does Pong. Pong's got a straightforward design and is pretty polished as a result too. But why would I want to play either title when I can play games that are far more engaging in style and substance, even if it comes with the cost of some potential glitchiness or potentially-frustrating portions?

You are forgetting Sonic games are for all ages. Eggman has to behave that he is now for the kids to enjoy. And even though he's a manchild, he still does do pretty badass things in recent games. Or you haven't played Generations, that the Eggman(s) successfully converted the Time Eater in to a controllable robot that is altering time and space? Or in Unleashed when he captured Sonic in his super form to split the Earth in to pieces?

• Thumbs Up 1

Naturally Colors is more exciting than Pong, but I feel that its most notable feature is its polish. Sure, the planets aren't explored in any real detail, the level design isn't all that challenging or memorable, and the actual storyline's pretty naff and full of loose ends, but hey, it's competent and has a straightforward design, so clearly it's awesomesauce, right? But again, so does Pong. Pong's got a straightforward design and is pretty polished as a result too. But why would I want to play either title when I can play games that are far more engaging in style and substance, even if it comes with the cost of some potential glitchiness or potentially-frustrating portions?

So this goes back to the usual argument of Colors being too safe and Unleashed (and Generations??) being the more ambitious/funner game in comparison despite the many technical flaws?

So this goes back to the usual argument of Colors being too safe and Unleashed (and Generations??) being the more ambitious/funner game in comparison despite the many technical flaws?

Pretty much, yeah. (That goes for Generations too. I like that game a few notches below Unleashed.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe I should actually play HD Unleashed and Generations.

hm.

I still like Colors, though. I consider it the 3D sonic closest to the classics.

Generations is even safer than Colors is, but it still vastly prefer it over Colors. Unleashed is most certainly more ambitious and that is one of the reasons why I put it over Colors, but honestly? I see no reason to believe that Colors is less flawed than Generations or even Unleashed for that matter.

I have a lot of personal issues with that game that you can read in the post I quoted on the previous page.

Edited by Chooch

My opinion on Colors hasn't changed. I find it to be a great game. Sure it doesn't have a lot of depth to certain things but I'm cool with that. A simple adventure every once in a while is pretty nice.

Generations is even safer than Colors is, but it still vastly prefer it over Colors.

Other than story, id say Generations takes a lot more risks than Colors did (actually having fully developed 3D levels for starters).

Edited by Soniman

in my personal preference, it never lived up to it's hype for me, when i played it... i was more frustrated at the block heavy platforming and Wisp gimmicks, it quickly became un-fun for me and after completion, i haven't bothered to boot it back up since release.

i mean i'd rather play Riders, Shadow or 06 over it because i simply do not remember having at least a smidgen of fun with it, the only great thing to come from it imo was the music.

I still enjoy Sonic Colors to this very day, it actually gave me more hope for the franchise especially when Sonic 4 dropped the ball (all of my rage!). It felt like the natural progression from the Genesis games, I mean even the plot involves Eggman returning to capruting the local wildlife to power his bots, and destroying nature.

Anyway I really enjoy the game even with some issues I had with it.

• Thumbs Up 2

What happened with Sonic Colours? It came out. It sold well. People liked it. Generations came out and did everything better. The people who hadn't already grown bored with Colours stopped caring about it to play that instead.

Basically. I still think that Colors is a great game, but after playing Generations, I don't find myself going back to it nearly as much. The only thing that made it really special at the time was that it was the first solid 3-D Sonic game in years (or, depending on who you ask, ever) and pointed to a much brighter future. Now that Generations has confirmed said brighter future AND blown Colors out of the water in basically every respect, most people aren't quite as enthusiastic about it.

This kind of falling out with Colors in this particular community happened well before Generations was even released, so I wouldn't exactly say it was merely shown up by its sequel.

Edited by Nepenthe

That game everyone loved initially but not so much any more.

This pretty much happens every time a new Sonic game is released, with some people looking at a (recent) older game in the series and list why it's superior to *insert new Sonic game here*. Heck, this isn't even exclusive to this franchise-from what I've heard, some LoZ fans bash each new/latest Zelda game and unfavorably compare it to it's predessor.

Edited by Miku Hatsune

What I will give Colour....despite how forgettable it is....

The game really did a great job taking Sonic out of its dark place public wise. Hell gaf still mentions it to this very day.

Sonic Colors is like eating Pizza....great at the start,but after it gets cold never get the taste you initially liked. Even after putting it in the microwave.