Awoo.

What happened with Sonic Colours

Blue Wisp

Sonic Colours was one of my favorite (and first) games of the series. I was so hyped for it that I bought it... when I didn't even own a wii.. That's how hyped I was. I still have memories of going to my friend's house to play it... good times...

However, the game hasn't aged to well, and Generations being so awesome in comparison doesn't really help. I think the problems are similar to Sonic Adventure - in the beginnings everyone was like "YEAH! SONIC IS BACK!" (which everyone seems to do EVERY DAMN GAME now), but later on they noticed a few flaws (unlike '06 where the flaws were balantly obvious from the get go).

The flaws with colours for me are basically - blocky platforming, invisible wall lockdown whenever you go through a checkpoint (discourging backtracking), wisp gameplay sometimes feels gimmicky and tedious, and the fact that it's a 2D game with 3D segments (when being advertised the other way round).

And, as awesome as SuperSonic is... he kills the replay value. Seriously. He's a cool little reward once you unlock him, but later you realise that he kills a lot of the fun and is kind of lame to play as.

Sorry, SuperSonic...

What happened to Sonic Colours?

People think it's pretty good, yet pales in comparison to Sonic Generations. Yet, at the same time, Generations is crappy.

Yeah, makes no sense.

Sonic fans have gone from hilariously low expectations, to impossibly high expectation.

What happened to Sonic Colours?

People think it's pretty good, yet pales in comparison to Sonic Generations. Yet, at the same time, Generations is crappy.

Yeah, makes no sense.

Sonic fans have gone from hilariously low expectations, to impossibly high expectation.

Since when is Generations crappy? I personally think it's a great game; as others have said, it does what Colours does better.

Replay value is subjective.

Well, yeah, it's subjective). I THINK that replay value is low. Better now?))

See other people may just like the gameplay and stages enough to want to replay them.

Oh and there is Challenge Mode which I thought was a neat idea and should return in a future game.
While I didn't really liked the challenge mode in Colors, any additional substance and bonuses are welcomed in any Sonic game.

• 3 weeks later...

My opinion on Colors has changed a good bit since I just recently replayed through it, about a week or so ago.

The script is actually pretty funny and well done in most scenes, but it was embarrassingly bad for certain areas (specifically the 'Baldy McNosehair' and 'translation error' parts). I'm just gonna throw it out there though that Sonic wasn't nearly as bad in this game, although I can't say whether or not I like him being so constantly jokey..

My only real complaint regarding it all is, like said many times before, the game doesn't feature too much story content. Plus, Sonic and Tails in the cutscenes seem sort of.. lifeless? They don't have that varied of facial expressions nor are they too terribly lively, which sort of also applies to Generations as well. Its a weird step down from Unleashed, that's to say.

As for the game itself? The environments and the music really make it what it is, because they are great. I can't say I care for the Wisp powerups, the floaty jumps and the sometimes clunky and/or automated level design, but having the camera at that farther back angle and not focusing so much on boosting made playing this pretty refreshing. The stage maps are cool too, even if I would've liked entrance stages and hubworlds to make a comeback.

So yes. Colors. I played it once and I didn't like it. Now I do! Its still got a good bit of flaws but its not nearly as bad as I remember.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 1