Awoo.

Sonic/Sega related dreams that you feel will never come to fruition?

GenesisCodeX

Classic Sonic was never meant to be in the game to begin with, so you can tell they didn't bother polishing him.

As much as I honestly hate to prolong this offtopic nonsense any longer... cita, por favor?

I didn't mean to be insulting, I'm just confused. They spent four years on that game and no one realized that classic Sonic couldn't run through loops properly?

They didn't spend 4 years on the game, considering that there are 3 years between 2008 and 2011, and considering they probably didn't start developing the game till 2009. In addition they were developing two games at once.

And though there isn't explicit evidence to suggest Classic Sonic wasn't a later addition, stuff like the fact that C.Sonic uses M.Sonic's engine, but with the Homing attack switched off and the physics modified slightly, the fact that C.Sonic's stages also had light-dashable ring trails for no fathomable reason. Its just speculation at this point, but it feels like the classic stages were designed for Rush-esque 2D gameplay starring Modern Sonic, but was changed for whatever reason at some point in development.

And though there isn't explicit evidence to suggest Classic Sonic wasn't a later addition, stuff like the fact that C.Sonic uses M.Sonic's engine, but with the Homing attack switched off and the physics modified slightly,
Why bother building an entirely separate engine when you can just mod an existing one?

the fact that C.Sonic's stages also had light-dashable ring trails for no fathomable reason.
Light Dashable rings are identical to regular rings save for being light dashable, right? There's no particular reason to use them, but if they're grouped in with other generic level items and there's no functional difference between them, it doesn't hurt anything to do so.

They didn't spend 4 years on the game, considering that there are 3 years between 2008 and 2011, and considering they probably didn't start developing the game till 2009. In addition they were developing two games at once.

And though there isn't explicit evidence to suggest Classic Sonic wasn't a later addition, stuff like the fact that C.Sonic uses M.Sonic's engine, but with the Homing attack switched off and the physics modified slightly, the fact that C.Sonic's stages also had light-dashable ring trails for no fathomable reason. Its just speculation at this point, but it feels like the classic stages were designed for Rush-esque 2D gameplay starring Modern Sonic, but was changed for whatever reason at some point in development.

3 years then, excuse me for my horrible math skills. That's still a long time to not get something as basic as a loopdeloop down properly.

And there is nothing wrong with C Sonic using the Hedgehog engine. Both the Gears of War and Mass Effects series all use Unreal Engine 3 yet they are still very different. I am pretty sure the concept for Sonic Generations has always been "2 Sonics, 2 different kinds of gameplay"

Light Dashable rings are identical to regular rings save for being light dashable, right? There's no particular reason to use them, but if they're grouped in with other generic level items and there's no functional difference between them, it doesn't hurt anything to do so.

Yeah, but in Modern Sonic's stages only a few specific ring trails can be light dashed. The same is true in the classic stages. IIRC only certain trails of rings could be light-dashed. It doesn't really make sense to have a few rings to be light dashable, in stages where light dashing is not possible. OK, it'd make sense if all rings were light-dashable, but it doesn't make sense here.

Seems like they started the stages out with Modern Sonic in mind, and then modded it to be for "Classic" Sonic.

That would also explain why Classic Sonic can't make it through his loops easily. Potentially because they were originally designed for the much faster Modern Sonic.

And there is nothing wrong with C Sonic using the Hedgehog engine. Both the Gears of War and Mass Effects series all use Unreal Engine 3 yet they are still very different. I am pretty sure the concept for Sonic Generations has always been "2 Sonics, 2 different kinds of gameplay"

I'm not talking about the graphics engine here. I'm saying that Classic Sonic IS Modern Sonic, but with a different character model and some tweaked values. He even has the Homing attack (and maybe even the boost) still programmed in, but locked so the player can't use them.

Edited by Scar

3 years then, excuse me for my horrible math skills. That's still a long time to not get something as basic as a loopdeloop down properly.

HEDGEHOG ENGINE IS A GRAPHICS ENGINE, NOT A PHYSICS ENGINE! GET IT RIGHT!!!!!!!

Edited by Frankenstein Joe
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, but in Modern Sonic's stages only a few specific ring trails can be light dashed. The same is true in the classic stages. IIRC only certain trails of rings could be light-dashed.

Seems like they started the stages out with Modern Sonic in mind, and then modded it to be for "Classic" Sonic.

Or whoever designed the Classic stages just grabbed whichever ring object when they were setting down a group, since it doesn't matter to Classic Sonic whether they were normal rings or light dashable rings.

Are they even in anything like a proper light dash path? The only group I can remember seeing is that midair cluster near the start of GHZ, which is just a clump.

This topic is still about dreams right? How about Ristar cameos and references in newer Sonic games the way that NiGHTs was used in the Adventure games. That'd be pretty cool. Also more NiGHTs references please

Wow, you missed my point completely.

I'm surprised that you are surprised that he did. The dude is pretty much "The King" at missing points.

At this point I just want a memorable Sonic game that is well loved by everyone like Sonic 3 and K. It doesn't HAVE to be like it, but I just want a game that feels like a complete package.

Pretty much saying: Take that condom off SEGA!

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Rush

Sonic Colors DS was technically Sonic Rush 3 GAMEPLAY wise, IMO. I sometimes call it "Sonic Rush: Now With WISPS!".

Edited by autocon99

Hmm

A Sonic game with UDK I mean the hedgehog engine is great and all but I'd like to see SEGA using the engine to its extent.

Also if they limit the boost to win parts on the stages like for example in the silver rival battle in generations how he would do meteor smash and you didn't have boost left you die. Why didn't they change Sonics speed so he wont die without the boost I mean Sonic relies on his boost to get through a stage.

a game that reveals that Blaze still has Iblis in her.

you know, Sonic with his bad habit of involving himself with fire cursed princesses, he REALLY is the mothafucking Iblis Trigga afterall.

I want to see that.

badly.

I'm surprised that you are surprised that he did. The dude is pretty much "The King" at missing points

Can we not start slinging shit like this?

a game that reveals that Blaze still has Iblis in her.

you know, Sonic with his bad habit of involving himself with fire cursed princesses, he REALLY is the mothafucking Iblis Trigga afterall.

I want to see that.

badly.

But the whole game had a reset ending, so Iblis was wiped out of every existence. Except Generations but that's a special case I think.

Plus I don't think it's necessary to have more attention drawn to the whole Blaze/Future/Alternate Dimension discrepancy.

Plus I don't think it's necessary to have more attention drawn to the whole Blaze/Future/Alternate Dimension discrepancy.

3501lsh.jpg

Edited by Anti Alias
  • Thumbs Up 3

Also if they limit the boost to win parts on the stages like for example in the silver rival battle in generations how he would do meteor smash and you didn't have boost left you die. Why didn't they change Sonics speed so he wont die without the boost I mean Sonic relies on his boost to get through a stage.

Where did this come from? That's not exactly how that boss battle went down.

You don't need to touch the boost button to get past Silver's last gasp desperation attack. If you avoid getting hit by the cars and trucks that he drops on you, then Sonic will gradually run down the white hedgehog at his normal running pace. If you get hit, then you obviously slow down and risk death. It takes a few cycles of dodging (maybe 10 or 15 seconds worth) but I'm pretty sure that I have personally done it before.

Of course, using the boost will accomplish the same task in about 3 or 4 seconds.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Alright guys, back on topic. No more of this bitching about game physics, it's nothing to do with this thread. Oh and Anti Alias, can you not post the troll face in lieu of making an actual point? It's not clever and it's against the rules.

Where did this come from? That's not exactly how that boss battle went down.

You don't need to touch the boost button to get past Silver's last gasp desperation attack. If you avoid getting hit by the cars and trucks that he drops on you, then Sonic will gradually run down the white hedgehog at his normal running pace. If you get hit, then you obviously slow down and risk death. It takes a few cycles of dodging (maybe 10 or 15 seconds worth) but I'm pretty sure that I have personally done it before.

Of course, using the boost will accomplish the same task in about 3 or 4 seconds.

I'll post a video on what I mean later.

Silver, after realizing Blaze is dead and will.never come back, going Dinobot and pulling a full-on kamikaze attack on Eggmanland.

A revival of Sonic the hedgehog the anime (aka Sonic OVA)

Oh yeah, and writing a fanfiction, I try to settle down to type and then I'm like "Brain, why U no work?!"

Edited by Mysterics

Yeah, but in Modern Sonic's stages only a few specific ring trails can be light dashed. The same is true in the classic stages. IIRC only certain trails of rings could be light-dashed. It doesn't really make sense to have a few rings to be light dashable, in stages where light dashing is not possible. OK, it'd make sense if all rings were light-dashable, but it doesn't make sense here.

That would also explain why Classic Sonic can't make it through his loops easily. Potentially because they were originally designed for the much faster Modern Sonic.

I'm not talking about the graphics engine here. I'm saying that Classic Sonic IS Modern Sonic, but with a different character model and some tweaked values. He even has the Homing attack (and maybe even the boost) still programmed in, but locked so the player can't use them.

Classic Sonic can actually go much faster than Modern Sonic using the Spin Dash and jumping off ramps or sloped terrain.

But anyway, the physics can't be fully fixed with 'tweaks' but since they would have had to use raycasting to calculate Sonic's angle to the floor, I don't see why they couldn't have increased Sonic's speed based on the angle. (Well they did but this could have been more significant).

Edited by DJScriptify

This isn't really a dream I don't think will ever occur, because I still have hope for it. My dream is for Sega to develop a new 2D Sonic game with physics exactly like the originals, with either HD or 16 Bit graphics (I don't care) and an amazing soundtrack. Even the Sonic games I didn't really like had good music so that won't be an issue. Call it Sonic 5, Sonic Remake, whatever I don't care, as long as it plays just like the old games but with new stages. I know that someday Sega will listen to the fans that want this, and have been with Sonic from the very beginning. I'm not giving up.

It's also very possible that they believed any discrepencies between the two physics systems that would inevitably bother hardcore fans weren't worth bothering with in the end because the gameplay in Generations is solid and fun in its own right anyway.

But nah, that possibility would be silly. The reality is that everyone on Sonic Team- literally everyone on the team- has a lower collective intelligence and insight into the development of modern Sonic games than the armchair analysts who frequent these forums and have no professional experience working on Sonic games whatsoever........

:/

Edited by Phos