Awoo.

Games about elements of the Sonic universe - Perhaps following Sonic 3D Blast's example?

-Robin-

Of the many Sonic games out there, Sonic 3D Blast stands out a lot for me due to the gimmick of the game. Or rather, the characters utilized for the gimmick, the Flickies. Sonic 3D Blast is one of, if not the only, game in the series that took an existing idea of the standard Sonic gameplay formula - bust Badniks to free animals - and made a game revolving around the concept.

Where Colors, Unleashed, Shadow the Hedgehog, and other games created a gimmick on the spot, S3DB instead fortified the concept of Sonic and took a parallel direction with it.

Could we possibly have more games like that? Not isometric 3D, but games with existing Sonic elements put in the spotlight for the moment?

Is there anything there to make a Sonic game that uses rings, or springs, or the speed shoes, etc. as the main quirk of the full game? For Modern Sonic's case, can a game be made where the Boost itself is expanded on and quirked up to make a refreshing experience?

It's a highly specific question, but it's something that I think could be done. Thoughts?

Ill say it again.

We need a game where we could control the vast array of Badniks that Eggman has at his disposal. Each one would have it's own unique abilities.

Imagine flying around as a Buzzbomber and then tearing shit up as a that Rhino guy from Angel Island Zone. It just sounds fun to me.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 9

How about monitors with music notes in them? Depending on the order in which Sonic bops each one, he gets a different power up after completing the chain.

Edited by DJScriptify

Rings... hm...

Why not take a cue from New Super Mario Bros. 2 and make a Sonic game centered around Rings? Only, you know, actually make such a use substantial in terms of the overall game, of course.

• Thumbs Up 4

One idea that I've had for the longest is the idea that the Chaos Emeralds you collect wouldn't be entirely fucking worthless before collecting all seven of them. They would each have their own unique use or special ability that would add to the gameplay and Sonic's abilities. Think the colored gems from Sonic 06 but.. You know, not shit.

The limitation is that you'd wouldn't be able to "carry" more than two at a time during a stage and/or act in your inventory. Getting through different levels more efficiently would require different combinations of Emeralds and certain pathways would only be accessible with the use of a specific Emerald's ability.

Acquiring some Emeralds would require the use of other Emeralds as well. This encourages the player to experiment with Emerald combinations, explore the terrain for hidden areas with goodies (and more Emeralds) and replay levels with Emeralds that they recently acquired.

It would be so fucking awesome. Yeah yeah it sounds like Wisps a bit, but they wouldn't completely strip control from the player and would be far more in depth.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 9

One idea that I've had for the longest is the idea that the Chaos Emeralds you collect wouldn't be entirely fucking worthless before collecting all seven of them. They would each have their own unique use or special ability that would add to the gameplay and Sonic's abilities. Think the colored gems from Sonic 06 but.. not shit.

The limitation is that you'd wouldn't be able to "carry" more than two at a time during a stage and/or act in your inventory. Getting through different levels more efficiently would require different combinations of Emeralds and certain pathways would only be accessible with the use of a specific Emerald's ability that you would acquire later in the game. Encouraging the player to experiment with Emerald combinations, explore the terrain for hidden areas (and more Emeralds) and replay levels with Emeralds that they recently acquired.

It would be so fucking awesome.

This is a really good idea. Owns the Wisps in my opinion.

Rings... hm...

Why not take a cue from New Super Mario Bros. 2 and make a Sonic game centered around Rings? Only, you know, actually make such a use substantial in terms of the overall game, of course.

You can collect over 800 rings in some stages in Unleashed, is that not enough for you?

And it's not like the coins in NSMB2 serve any kind of purpose more so than in Unleashed, either. It's just a hyped up marketing gimmick.

You can collect over 800 rings in some stages in Unleashed, is that not enough for you?

And it's not like the coins in NSMB2 serve any kind of purpose more so than in Unleashed, either. It's just a hyped up marketing gimmick.

Regarding Unleashed, you can use rings to do those hot-dog missions. Speaking of which, why not just have a larger emphasis of being able to unlock/access stuff by gaining a large amount of rings or using your ring collection to purchase the use of them-basically what they did in the Genesis games or the Riders series; or another spectrum basically replace "points" that you used in Unleashed and Generations with "rings" instead?

This isn't directly what you're asking for - it's an idea for part of a game rather than a whole game - but I've been toying with an idea for a Rush-Adventure-style world map exploration system where you need rings to keep on moving through the map, and once you run out you have to "give up" and go back to where you started (if you haven't discovered a new level or something). I imagine that the very start of the track would load you with rings to give you boost energy or something, but they'd get rarer and rarer until eventually you'd run out of rings and energy. ...Actually my main idea is basically just "Rush Adventure's world map system, but running on your own two feet rather than being on a boat."

Another idea, purely off the top of my head: Add another use for boost energy, maybe triggered by a different button: A slow-motion mode where badniks, stage obstacles, and even the stage timer slow down whilst you move as normal. You could even present this as being how Sonic perceives the world when using the boost.

*Emerald concept*

I'll be the first to say I've never liked this idea. It's been done in fangames before and is wholly just too simple and generic. I'm bored of the Emeralds anyway. They're practically connected to everything.

• Thumbs Up 1