Awoo.

So, about all those new RPs...

WarioBone

I was thinking that, with the sudden popularity of RP threads, we should have a "Standard RP Rules" thread pinned to the top of the Miscellaneous Works section. Pretty much everyone has been putting "The rules Wario used in his RP" plus a few of their own, so maybe we could just include links to the rule topic instead of either listing all of the rules again or "Go read this old dead RP thread for the rules"?

While I don't feel like all the rules you have could cover ground to every RP ever in the future, there's definitely a few that could be used under a generalized rule of thumb. I mean stuff like no God modding, no plot hijacks, and no Sues would be great things, but aside from that, grammar and spelling are rules across all boards, and then the rest are kinda specific.

I'll see about getting a set of rules up though. I'm not the avid RPer (actually never have, so I don't know everything under the sun about it), so maybe if you guys can think of any more overall RP rules here, I could think about tossing it in? I mean it's for you guys of course, so you should have a say so.

• Thumbs Up 2

Remember when this place used to have a dedicated RP sub-forum? Good times. I'm actually surprised that there's a sudden uprise in roleplaying, I thought roleplaying was pretty much completely dead in this place.

Anyhow, a set of generalized rules sounds fine, as well. I'd also toss up some links to TvTropes to provide a set of examples of stuff such as mary sues and whatnot.

Remember when this place used to have a dedicated RP sub-forum? Good times. I'm actually surprised that there's a sudden uprise in roleplaying, I thought roleplaying was pretty much completely dead in this place.

It's a fad. Give it a month and there'll be one RP left, struggling to stay alive.

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh man, I feel INCREDIBLY old right now. I was a member back when there was the subforum for it before the wipe, there was me and a whole bunch of other members that did a couple of good RPs. If anyone else remembers Furries Vs Humans: Remix (the whole anthro's vs humans thing was started by a friend of mine and he gave me permission to reboot the RP which was really successful at the time), then yeah, I was responsible for that stuff where my posts were written terribly! This forum got me into roleplaying. Man, I must have been 14 at the time or something crazy like that.

As for rules, it's fairly easy to establish common ground, such as don't be an idiot, and don't godmod and stuff like that. I remember, this place also had a 2 paragraph rule or something for roleplaying, where people would have to post with decent length so that the RP wouldn't become a fest of terrible one-liner posts. Obvious rules like spelling and punctuation would be a must. Personally, I'm very happy to see a revival of it and may join in on the fun if it would be okay with everybody, I mean, I don't want to be a horrible annoyance on anyone.

(If anyone thinks this is advertising, it isn't, I don't intend it to be, just a helpful pointer for people looking to make rules or if people are interested in taking up RPing on other boards):

There are also many other sites I could recommend that people go to for a rule basis. There is Roleplayer Guild, which is particularly interesting as an idea because it divides RPs up into categories based on seriousness/skill base required. That was quite a nice feature. If anyone is interested in roleplaying or just want to look to see what it's about, I would suggest they look at some of these sites. RoleplayGateway is a good place to start as it has a directory for people to use to scroll through the sites.

Would anyone think there'd be any rules for 'non-Sonic based' RPs? I'm talking about ones that don't have Sonic or such influences at the center of the RP. Personally, I understand if people wouldn't want such a thing because this is a Sonic forum after all, but considering there have been some successful RPs in the old board that didn't primarily use Sonic as an influence then I don't see how it could be a problem.

(Nostalgia fun: Any one else remember CoDS? That roleplay was pretty amazing. I never took part, mostly out of my terrible ability at the time, but I just loved reading it. I also remember there used to be this thing called 'WriteWatch' where people were shown off for their writings and given tips and general recognition, and I once got an RP featured in there. It was pretty neat.)

A lot of these rules you guys keep mentioning seem like commonsense.

"Don't hijack"

"Don't GodMod"

"Don't make terrible characters"

etc

• Thumbs Up 1

A lot of these rules you guys keep mentioning seem like commonsense.

"Don't hijack"

"Don't GodMod"

"Don't make terrible characters"

etc

Not sure if it adds to the discussion much but I will say that I'm agreed. Most of the rules for roleplaying come under the general blanket term of 'Don't be an idiot', but I guess, maybe the same could be said of board rules in general. To me, the rules could come under a blanket term of 'Don't be an arsehole', but I guess members need the kind of official confirmation of a rule to keep the place from coming under anarchy and all that.

Edited by RainbowLizard