Awoo.

Sonic X discussion

VO.SUPER

I've already listed a great deal of flaws with the show that are neither contributed to Chris Thorndyke or bad English dubbing. A better dub may have allowed it's good points to show better, but it couldn't really improve the problems it had, especially if it is intended to be loyal to the original script (which truthfully has points it's flaws are WORSE, eg. Amy is actually more catty, the recurring 'don't contradict peers' message is more blunt, and your mileage may vary if fourth wall jokes are any better than puns).

I don't think any Sonic cartoon has been particularly 'rich' in quality, even Satam was hardly epic and riddled with problems standard for Saturday Morning cartoons. Almost all of them are of the same quality; which is enjoyable in their own way and having a concept that could work on paper, but still a very flawed and basic kids cartoon. I feel Sonic Boom will likely be of the same standard.

Sonic X is my favourite Sonic cartoon. While It did have It's flaws like Chris, I liked the fact it stuck more closely to the game universe and making use of game characters other than Sonic & Tails along with adapting some of the games. I also didn't think the new voice cast was that bad.

Although I wish they would bring it back to the UK since ever since Jetix was turned into Disney XD, It's been gone from TV. As for DVDs, They never even put out a full season of Sonic X on DVD. They put out 4 volumes which had 2 episodes on each volume so Volume 1 is Chaos Control Freaks and Sonic to the Rescue, Volume 2 had Missile Wrist Rampage and Chaos Emerald Chaos, Volume 3 had Cracking Knuckles and Techno Teacher, and finally Volume 4 had Party Hardly and Satellite Swindle.

It's really a shame as well because I think Sonic X got better once it got into the swing of things and action and cliffhangers began happening so around Rouge's intro episode which had Sonic breaking into Eggman's base to put a stop to him once and for all.

I do have a hope that maybe Kix! will start airing it in the UK since lately they have been focusing on more superhero and anime shows like Dragonball Z Kai, and The Batman. On top of that, they also air Sonic Underground so I'm personally hoping either Kix! begins airing it in the UK, or maybe someday It might go on Netflix. 

I don't think very highly of this show at all.

The plot is stupid and all over the place, some characters aren't portrayed how they are in the games, the animation and general artstyle is ugly and boring to look at, and it's just terribly mediocre all around. I wouldn't dare to watch every single episode of it.

Sonic X (coupled with Sonic 3D Flickies Island and Sonic R) is the reason I got interested in Sonic in the first place - i remember getting home at 3pm, and then sitting around for hours eagerly anticipating the next episode of Sonic X to start at 5pm. I loved it and still do however i can acknowledge it's flaws xD

• Thumbs Up 1

^ Same here :) It might have flaws but if it wasn't for this show & Sonic Heroes I probably wouldn't have acknowledged this franchise :) I grew up with Spyro & Crash and I only ever really payed attention to them before Sonic X & Sonic Heroes :)

Sonic X ties with Underground for my least favorite Sonic animation. That said, it was nice to finally see characters like Amy, Rouge, Shadow, Big & the Chaotix Crew in animated form. Overall though, it kind of played it way to safe IMO, not even doing any real intersting original content till the final season with the whole Metarex arc. I am glad existed though, as it helped introduce kids to Sonic like AOSTH & SATAM had prior, and hopefully like Boom will when it premires.

And that's all I really have to say about X.

• 9 months later...

Well, uhh... I looked around and didn't see an official Sonic product news topic here, so I guess it'll be cool to post the news here (since this is the official Sonic X topic.)

Discotek Media has just revealed on their Facebook that they'll be releasing a complete Sonic X set.

Release date is currently TBD (To Be Determined.)

tumblr_nmghfh0OG01tlfjtro2_540.png

On the unfortunate side of things...
tumblr_nmghfh0OG01tlfjtro1_500.png

So far we can see that the 4Kids English dub is the only dub that's 100% confirmed to appear on the set. We can only hope that later down the road before release, Discotek can probably tell us that the Japanese dub will added as well. I know I certainly would love to pop in a Sonic X DVD and watch the episodes with the Japanese dub instead of having to get on my laptop and go to Hulu. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Done. I hope this pulls through, we need a proper JP w/subs release of Sonic X, no Hulu streams don't count.

Done. I hope this pulls through, we need a proper JP w/subs release of Sonic X, no Hulu streams don't count.

Yes.

I like Sonic X but english dub has some, well... questionable desing choices which I personally don't like (does Americans really have so hard time for showing their kids things what Japanese think are appropriate for them or was 4kids just idiot in censoring it?)

Well, this is good news indeed! :)

It'd be great if we got new interviews with Jason Griffith and Mike Pollack.

The problem is that even though his parents tried to see him when they could, they were always away from him a great majority of the time. When Sonic came into his life though, he was able to go on a lot more adventures and have more fun in general, rather than having his parents try to please him by giving things with their money.

To me, Sonic acted like more of a father figure to Chris, and opened up Chris to living a more fullfiling life, where he was able to motivate himself to become a better person in general. Sure, his feelings did heavily get in the way many times, but at the same time, wouldn't most people feel the same way? If I had someone special in my life that I wouldn't want to seperate myself from, I know that I would feel the same way Chris does.

In the end, the way I see it, money doesn't always buy happiness. And that directly applies in my opinion to Chris's emotions when it came to being with Sonic.

This is the way I feel about Chris. Thank you. I love Chris. Also,I hope "Cartoon Network" picks up "Sonic X". Wishful thinking.

I don't see why they can't allow you to go into the DVD settings and switch to the Japanese version like in every other anime DVD released in recent years.

I just wish this was all coming in 1 set, it seems like a waste of money to not have it as all in 1 set.

I don't see why they can't allow you to go into the DVD settings and switch to the Japanese version like in every other anime DVD released in recent years.

The dub cut, shortened and re-arranged scenes on multiple occasions.  Most anime dubs don't do this, thus you can have two different audio tracks for the same video file.  With Sonic X, including both languages will basically double the amount of discs required since each language would need to be a separate video file (not an appealing idea if the company doing it is expecting to just mainly sell to kids who don't care about the Japanese version) - they can't put the Japanese soundtrack on top of a video that is missing scenes, and they can't magic up dubbed versions of the scenes that were cut for the original run.

There's also the fact that it has never been officially subtitled, so they would have to re-translate it all themselves.  Again, can't just use a transcription of the dub, because it'd be inaccurate to the original Japanese script, and missing lines for scenes that weren't dubbed.

• Thumbs Up 2

The dub cut, shortened and re-arranged scenes on multiple occasions.  Most anime dubs don't do this, thus you can have two different audio tracks for the same video file.  With Sonic X, including both languages will basically double the amount of discs required since each language would need to be a separate video file (not an appealing idea if the company doing it is expecting to just mainly sell to kids who don't care about the Japanese version) - they can't put the Japanese soundtrack on top of a video that is missing scenes, and they can't magic up dubbed versions of the scenes that were cut for the original run.

There's also the fact that it has never been officially subtitled, so they would have to re-translate it all themselves.  Again, can't just use a transcription of the dub, because it'd be inaccurate to the original Japanese script, and missing lines for scenes that weren't dubbed.

An official subtitled version does exist. The show was re-translated and subtitled by 4Kids themselves and it was run on Hulu. From what I understand, they were well done translations, and most likely reusable (especially if they're failed Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King uncut releases are anything to go by). It is true they can't release the Japanese and English versions on the same disc due to 4Kids' editing practices, but there's always the possibility of a Japanese-only release for collectors who want the show in its original state--I believe Discotek has done a handful of releases in this vein before. For the sake of seeing it get a physical release in the West, I hope Discotek's dub release does well.

Surprised the show was allowed to be picked up at all; I would've thought SEGA would refuse to let anyone re-release it, unless it's completely out of their hands.

An official subtitled version does exist. The show was re-translated and subtitled by 4Kids themselves and it was run on Hulu.

Wow seriously?  I wish I had heard about this when it was running.

Wow seriously?  I wish I had heard about this when it was running.

Actually, it is still available. Unfortunately, I believe Hulu is region-locked, so it may not be available in the UK. :/

Actually, it is still available. Unfortunately, I believe Hulu is region-locked, so it may not be available in the UK. :/

Yep, such is the case.  Appreciate the share though, hopefully some US peeps who weren't in the know until now can enjoy this.

I've actually been re-watching "Sonic X" in Japanese and it's hilarious. I still prefer the US dub, because nostalgia. I took a break after Season 1 because that's my season finale. Will pick up Saturday.

Surprised the show was allowed to be picked up at all; I would've thought SEGA would refuse to let anyone re-release it, unless it's completely out of their hands.

I believe it is out of their control because distribution and syndication/airing rights are separate to property rights. The distribution rights of the pre-2000 Western Sonic cartoons were owned by Cookie Jar before they went under, which is why they were able to make boxsets and stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

I knew about this for ages, but it still surprises me that 4Kids subtitled the Japanese episodes and quite accurately too! Now if only they could get the current cast to re-dub it...

I only hope this dub boxset sells well so they can eventually get the subbed episodes released too. It's a mediocre show either way but the Japanese version is superior.

urgh....I sure am happy I spent so much time and money acquiring those out of print american Saga boxsets.....*slams head repeatedly on desk*

Oh well, at least there's hope for a subbed release. I won't be re-buying the dub unless there are some major special features or I can get it dirt cheap, but hopefully it sells well enough that a sub dvd is worth putting out, I'd pick one of those up.

If only there was a dub release that was actually a dub of the Japanese version, and didn't try to censor words like "BOOKSTORE".