Jump to content
VisionaryofSUPER

Sonic X discussion

Recommended Posts

Mixed feelings...

I kind of felt the characters were more entertaining in the Earth Arc, I felt Sonic was cockier, and Knuckles was treated a bit more seriously as was Eggman, Tails' interest in machines had more focus. Meterex arc did have a better story though.

Sonic as a character wtf even. I quite enjoy his mannerisms but he's seen largely through the lense of Chris Thorndyke. I find myself questioning just how much of his writing has in-universe reasons and now much of it has plot-convenience or Chris-related reasons.

X Sonic appears introverted and a bit on the stoic side, and somewhat lazy, I mean, he's hyperactive but also lazy. Did they think it would look good on him or do they just want an excuse for him to always be Chris's rock and always drop by at the last moment?

In-universe it could make sense, non-game portrayals tend to exaggerate some of Sonic's traits; Sonic is a drifter, he spends most of his time traveling the world, presumably alone; he greets his friends with "long time no see", he's kind of aloof/ever-cheerful, and I also think kind of a stubborn git when it comes to his feelings, he spends a surprising amount of time on his butt, too.

X! Sonic is derivable from that, but it's also oddly convenient. He's gone half the episode, he's back just in time. He's stoic and doesn't seem easily won emotionally,but he's super-close to that one friend. Not uncommon for an introvert,but it's that bloody character.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have unusual reasons for disliking Sonic X.  Early on in the series, they're flying the version of the tornado seen in Sonic Adventure (more or less), and it isn't fast enough for something they need to accomplish. They start talking about adapting a chaos emerald to power it, basically how it was in Sonic Adventure, not surprising...

And then Tails comments on adding an external device to harness the chaos emerald's power. 

And right away this gets me thinking, are they going to strap the chaos emerald on in a Sonic 2 style external booster?  I mean, it might be a little too much to hope for, but they'll probably at least do the Sonic Adventure thing. 

NOPE!  TMS reuses some shitty transforming plane design from a flop of an anime that they made years prior, the same anime they pilfered deco and boco from. In fact, almost all the mechanical designs are pilfered or reused from other properties, culminating in Eggman building Mazinger Z like this is space thunder kids or something.  

It also seemed to me at first that Sonic Adventure was meant to have already happened. I mean, they're only just now getting to station square in the first few episodes, but then Adventure didn't involve interdimensional travel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5 January 2016 at 5:29 PM, Green Eyes said:

Mixed feelings...

I kind of felt the characters were more entertaining in the Earth Arc, I felt Sonic was cockier, and Knuckles was treated a bit more seriously as was Eggman, Tails' interest in machines had more focus. Meterex arc did have a better story though.

Sonic as a character wtf even. I quite enjoy his mannerisms but he's seen largely through the lense of Chris Thorndyke. I find myself questioning just how much of his writing has in-universe reasons and now much of it has plot-convenience or Chris-related reasons.

X Sonic appears introverted and a bit on the stoic side, and somewhat lazy, I mean, he's hyperactive but also lazy. Did they think it would look good on him or do they just want an excuse for him to always be Chris's rock and always drop by at the last moment?

In-universe it could make sense, non-game portrayals tend to exaggerate some of Sonic's traits; Sonic is a drifter, he spends most of his time traveling the world, presumably alone; he greets his friends with "long time no see", he's kind of aloof/ever-cheerful, and I also think kind of a stubborn git when it comes to his feelings, he spends a surprising amount of time on his butt, too.

X! Sonic is derivable from that, but it's also oddly convenient. He's gone half the episode, he's back just in time. He's stoic and doesn't seem easily won emotionally,but he's super-close to that one friend. Not uncommon for an introvert,but it's that bloody character.

Part of me thinks it may have just been because of what character was put on the table for them during that era. Games Sonic at that point was the Heroes rendition, a fairly one note goody goody who existed largely just to kick Eggman's butt and be super enthusiastic and cool about it. He was not really fully developed and for all he supported teamwork, his friendships were kinda underdeveloped and through the eyes of the other characters at that point in time. I guess they thought it might be best to just take that very basic character and merge it into a setup it would work as a decent plot device, rather than risk diverging too much from the official characterisation.

In hindsight only so many characters were given much more depth. Cream was pretty much just a tagalong kid, she barely got spotlight except similarly from the treatment from other characters. Tails meanwhile, despite getting an arc of sorts in Season Three, actually had a rather vanilla personality, especially since he wasn't interacting through Sonic much. He was sorta just the older friend of Sonic's who explained to Chris how he worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tara said:

But with 4Kids gone, who would be distributing the DVD's?

IIRC, there's a new distributor.

I just hope this releases in the UK, since they have Universal distributing the Boom DVDs

Interesting they call only Episodes 1-6 the new world saga, seeing as all episodes up til Cracking Eggman and even after don't have a running theme or story arc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

IIRC, there's a new distributor.

I just hope this releases in the UK, since they have Universal distributing the Boom DVDs

Interesting they call only Episodes 1-6 the new world saga, seeing as all episodes up til Cracking Eggman and even after don't have a running theme or story arc.

Those episodes do have somewhat of a recurring theme in that most of them revolve around Sonic and friends entering the new world and finding each other. (1 = Sonic meeting Chris, 2 = Cream and Tails, 3 = Amy and Knuckles; don't know where exactly the other three fit in, though.  Haven't watched them in a long time.)

29 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

TMS owns both the subbed and dubbed versions of Sonic X now, Discotek Media is the ones distributing the DVDs/Blu Rays.

Oh, okay.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tara said:

Those episodes do have somewhat of a recurring theme in that most of them revolve around Sonic and friends entering the new world and finding each other. (1 = Sonic meeting Chris, 2 = Cream and Tails, 3 = Amy and Knuckles; don't know where exactly the other three fit in, though.  Haven't watched them in a long time.)

Oh, okay.  Thanks!

You misunderstood me. I meant I'd say the entire first season would come under New World Saga, or at the very least, the first 12-14 episodes, in which case it would then become the Chaos Emerald Saga due to the remaining episodes being filler, and chaos emerald hunts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

You misunderstood me. I meant I'd say the entire first season would come under New World Saga, or at the very least, the first 12-14 episodes, in which case it would then become the Chaos Emerald Saga due to the remaining episodes being filler, and chaos emerald hunts.

Oh okay.  My mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goku262002 said:

So umm, this was posted on twitter today:

loving the JP boxart theme.

Based Discotek already delivering with the DVD menus! Now if only we could get a JP audio release...

Ah, but this will still be a day 1 buy. Assuming that this will probably get released late this year/early next year along with Seha Girls depending on Discotek release schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Wow and now I dont carre, back to reading the comics for me

Yeah, I'm not even upset because I'm a fan of original voice acting in foreign media but the 4kids localization isn't even the same story and differs heavily from the source material, this would have been a great opportunity to bring the original over to the west through official means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know they wouldn't do it because of the fact most people hate X, but I would've liked to see it redubbed to be more representive of the source material, and update everything to the current voice actors for characters. Also find someone less annoying to voice Chris, and remove all of the censorship, and dumbing down of the show and you might be able to salvage a good show out of it. 

Basically, think of the situation with Dragon Ball Z where Ocean originally dubbed the series, and it ended up getting heavily altered because of Saban, who was airing the show at the time, which had many infamous lines that even contradicted the canon of the series (Bardock was many things, but a great scientist wasn't one of them). Basically, it was kind of a lite version of what would've happened to DBZ had 4Kids got the rights, and not Funimation. It ruined emotional moments by changing them (Goku's realisation that he was the one who went great ape form at the world tournament and accidentally killed his grandfather, promising to atone for the crime by saving Earth from Vegeta gets replaced with utter stupidity where Goku claims Vegeta just randomly decided to take a stop into Earth for a bit of a laugh, go great ape for no reason, killed his grandfather, and just left Earth again only to come back years later. Yes it's that bad).

Sonic X has potential to be decent at the very least with proper dubbing. Many people even say the original JP version is actually pretty decent. But because of 4Kids, a bunch of stupid and terrible censorship ruined it completely.

But hey, at least we can discuss this over jelly filled doughnuts, because as you know, nothing beats a jelly filled doughnut. Too bad it's Sunday though, those doughnuts would have existed tomorrow.

(yes those are actual lines from censored Pokemon, and censored DBZ)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Basically, think of the situation with Dragon Ball Z where Ocean originally dubbed the series, and it ended up getting heavily altered because of Saban, who was airing the show at the time, which had many infamous lines that even contradicted the canon of the series (Bardock was many things, but a great scientist wasn't one of them). Basically, it was kind of a lite version of what would've happened to DBZ had 4Kids got the rights, and not Funimation. It ruined emotional moments by changing them (Goku's realisation that he was the one who went great ape form at the world tournament and accidentally killed his grandfather, promising to atone for the crime by saving Earth from Vegeta gets replaced with utter stupidity where Goku claims Vegeta just randomly decided to take a stop into Earth for a bit of a laugh, go great ape for no reason, killed his grandfather, and just left Earth again only to come back years later. Yes it's that bad).

(yes those are actual lines from censored Pokemon, and censored DBZ)

This rumor gets thrown around a lot but it's actually not true. The "Ocean/Saban" dub you're slamming has always been the Funimation dub, they just didn't record in-house (they outsourced voice recording to Ocean) and Saban helped them distribute the show since they needed assistance at the time. Funimation has always been responsible for altering the script, and there's still plenty of alterations in the newer Z dub. Even after Funimation cut ties with Ocean and Saban and started doing in-house work in 1999 for DBZ, so many problems still remained and to this day the Z dub is not fixed. At least Dragon Ball Kai is there for the option of a higher quality, more faithful dub.

While it would be nice to see Sonic X redubbed, it certainly wouldn't be necessary and most consumers wouldn't know or care for the differences. Besides, Sonic Boom is the new face of Sonic on TV, so its age would only hurt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MugiMikey said:

This rumor gets thrown around a lot but it's actually not true. The "Ocean/Saban" dub you're slamming has always been the Funimation dub, they just didn't record in-house (they outsourced voice recording to Ocean) and Saban helped them distribute the show since they needed assistance at the time. Funimation has always been responsible for altering the script, and there's still plenty of alterations in the newer Z dub. Even after Funimation cut ties with Ocean and Saban and started doing in-house work in 1999 for DBZ, so many problems still remained and to this day the Z dub is not fixed. At least Dragon Ball Kai is there for the option of a higher quality, more faithful dub.

While it would be nice to see Sonic X redubbed, it certainly wouldn't be necessary and most consumers wouldn't know or care for the differences. Besides, Sonic Boom is the new face of Sonic on TV, so its age would only hurt it.

I know that Funi still dubbed DBZ, but you're wrong about the censorships not being fixed. In fact, many regard Kai as the watered down version of the original DBZ. A lot of censorships in the first season alone I can confirm have been corrected, as I have Funi's season 1 boxset of DBZ, and stuff like Vegeta's "great scientist" line, Goku's realization that he killed Grandpa Gohan, and more has all been fixed.

This video puts it best:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

You better care, because its the only way were getting a subs release:

This is the one thing I'm worried about. I just don't think it will sell well. Especially with how little they seem to be advertising it, how small the number of people that know about it is, and how unpopular the dub is. More people want the subbed version, and are bound to avoid the dub since they don't want it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I know that Funi still dubbed DBZ, but you're wrong about the censorships not being fixed. In fact, many regard Kai as the watered down version of the original DBZ. A lot of censorships in the first season alone I can confirm have been corrected, as I have Funi's season 1 boxset of DBZ, and stuff like Vegeta's "great scientist" line, Goku's realization that he killed Grandpa Gohan, and more has all been fixed.

This video puts it best:

 

Kai has some visual censorships (even in Japanese), but I'm referring to dub dialogue here. The Funimation dub of Z, even in the season boxsets, have tons of errors (that are similar to the "great scientist" line) that stray far from the original source material. They re-wrote almost the entire script, which what 4Kids did for their dubs as well. For example, they got Gohan's age wrong, watered Muten Roshi's lechery down tremendously, flubbed on when Bulma met Goku, gave Goku a different personality, and changed the whole tone of the show. Watch DBZ in Japanese and you'll see the dialogue matches up with Kai accurately, but what's said in the Z dub is completely different.

Kai is a very flawed product, but Funimation's dub of it is faithful to the original Japanese version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, goku262002 said:

You better care, because its the only way were getting a subs release:

Also, hes showing off pics from the style guide, i've never seen those renders before.

That doesn't sound too convincing. "if it sells" is so vauge? How much do they wanna make of it to consider it a success? How many copies sold? They may as well just say they're not doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I tend not to like it when the thing people actually want is essentially held for ransom behind something people don't care about, not that I was really interested in a Sonic X dvd to start with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2016 at 7:05 PM, goku262002 said:

You better care, because its the only way were getting a subs release:

Also, hes showing off pics from the style guide, i've never seen those renders before.

I'd buy both in a heartbeat. Bring it on. I think the 4Kids actors aren't as bad as everyone says (I even like a lot of them) and the changes are news to me since I started with the dubbed version. As with all Sonic stuff, though, I'm worried they'll screw over the US. There are many more Sonic fans in the UK, and every now and then they say "well that means we won't worry about the US" like they did with the Sonic Generations limited edition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.