Awoo.

Sonic X discussion

VO.SUPER

Not gonna link them here. They're easy to find using google.

1 thing, I heard some of the hulu episodes were a bit different then standard JP DVD releases. can't recall if it was either music or small animation changes. was that ever true?

Yes. The masters that TMS gives out to dubbing companies lack the majority of all on-screen text. They also lack eye catch screens, Japanese credits, and the Japanese Sonic X logo.

39 minutes ago, Sean said:

Not gonna link them here. They're easy to find using google.

Yes. The masters that TMS gives out to dubbing companies lack the majority of all on-screen text. They also lack eye catch screens, Japanese credits, and the Japanese Sonic X logo.

Hmm, I do wonder if the hulu episodes should be preserved just for the sake of collection, unless the edits were properly documented with these TMS masters.

5 hours ago, SonicEkkusu said:

99.999% of Sonic fans are adults. Kids just don't like Sonic, which is one reason I don't see that set doing well.

I have no idea where you got this completely false notion. Sonic may not be extremely popular among kids now, but it's not like he's super popular among adults either, and honestly, the statement that "99.999% of Sonic fans are adults" is just massively disconnected from reality.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic X will be going behind a paywall as Hulu is ending its free service and going subscriber only (like Netflix)

Yahoo! View is supposed to be picking up Hulu's free stuff but Sonic X is not on its site - Hulu might not have the rights to transfer it yet if ever

And that all presumes Hulu does not drop Sonic X completely, they have been making their free stuff harder to find in favor of the subscriber only shows

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

Whatever your opinion on the show as a whole, i just wanted to ask you ('cuz i'm curious) - which version of Sonic X do you think has the worst dub?

The Polish one takes the cake for me.

On 8/11/2016 at 0:04 AM, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I have no idea where you got this completely false notion. Sonic may not be extremely popular among kids now, but it's not like he's super popular among adults either, and honestly, the statement that "99.999% of Sonic fans are adults" is just massively disconnected from reality.

I'm just gonna throw it out there, but if there's one thing that'll likely harm the DVD set, it'll actually be the fact it isn't releasing in the UK (That we know of at the minute), considering the UK is one of the countries Sonic is most popular in. 

1 hour ago, PhilViewer said:

Hello.

Whatever your opinion on the show as a whole, i just wanted to ask you ('cuz i'm curious) - which version of Sonic X do you think has the worst dub?

The Polish one takes the cake for me.

Dude... this isn't the smartest question. Most people watched Sonic X in one dubbing, three top (english, japanese, person national language). No one will be able to answer your question.

26 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I'm just gonna throw it out there, but if there's one thing that'll likely harm the DVD set, it'll actually be the fact it isn't releasing in the UK (That we know of at the minute), considering the UK is one of the countries Sonic is most popular in. 

Sonic X apparently wasn't all that popular here despite it being a Sonic show. Would explain the abysmal treatment of it here afterwards. 

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I don't mean to undermine your statement or anything, but can you please give me that statistic? I'm really interested in knowing which countries Sonic is most popular in. 

25 minutes ago, Lucidream said:

I don't mean to undermine your statement or anything, but can you please give me that statistic? I'm really interested in knowing which countries Sonic is most popular in. 

Several polls conducted in the UK showed this, two in particular showed that Sonic was more recognizable in the UK than Mickey Mouse, and the second of which lists Sonic as the most popular character in video games: 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1079344/Sonic-Hedgehog-crowned-popular-video-game-character-time.html

Further more, there's stuff like Summer of Sonic, that was popular enough to even get a feature by BBC. Even just as recent as last September, Sonic Boom was rating as the top show on Boomerang UK. Beating out shows like Scooby-Doo, Looney Tunes, and more.

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Several polls conducted in the UK showed this, two in particular showed that Sonic was more recognizable in the UK than Mickey Mouse, and the second of which lists Sonic as the most popular character in video games: 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1079344/Sonic-Hedgehog-crowned-popular-video-game-character-time.html

Further more, there's stuff like Summer of Sonic, that was popular enough to even get a feature by BBC. Even just as recent as last September, Sonic Boom was rating as the top show on Boomerang UK. Beating out shows like Scooby-Doo, Looney Tunes, and more.

Thanks a lot!

Man, this makes me slightly happier to be British. I never knew about Summer of Sonic, and that it was this popular! Strange that they didn't release Sonic X DVDs into British stores. I assume it would sell a lot more if it were in our supermarkets. 

1 hour ago, Lucidream said:

Strange that they didn't release Sonic X DVDs into British stores. I assume it would sell a lot more if it were in our supermarkets. 

They did...eight episodes split between four volumes, and that's it. Again, apparently the show wasn't too popular here. Of course, the lack of X could also be down to Disney technically being the UK distribution handlers back in the day, and they never had the greatest release record. 

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

They did...eight episodes split between four volumes, and that's it. Again, apparently the show wasn't too popular here. Of course, the lack of X could also be down to Disney technically being the UK distribution handlers back in the day, and they never had the greatest release record. 

It was Warner Bros who distributed DVDs of it actually :U

On 08/09/2012 at 10:27 AM, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Never have I seen animation so poor, 

I think I'll say what was already said here but the Sonic OVA and Sonic CD Animations are much better and capture Sonic in motion in a much more awesome way than this, after all those animations were done by the greats at TOEI.

On 08/09/2012 at 10:45 AM, Wraith said:

This show would have been fine if it weren't for a few HUGE things.

THe biggest one, was obviously this whiny prick.

Chris.png

You know, I may actually get hate from every sort of side here, but I see positive aspects on Chris's character.

It wasn't done very well, but it could have been done in a  way that could teach kids about growing up that could Rival that of Pixar's style of storytelling

I mean, at the end of the show you can see that Chris' Relationship with Sonic is like a bond between a kid and the things that make him a child,so it's kind of hard for chris to say goodbye to these things (AKA Sonic himself) 

I see that as the perfect allusion to ourselves. The adults who grew up with Sonic had to say goodbye to their childish ways in one point in their lives, they had to get a job, to see someone in their family die, they had to somehow say goodbye to Sonic... Yet Sonic was still there all the time... 

They could have done sent a really deep and emotional message (even if the show was for kids) if they had explored that idea in the right way but unfortunately Chris has become a very annoying character that noone likes.

And you can see that they try and do that in some way in the japanese version, the music is much deeper and emotional on that version, there are moments of silence that kind of makes a kid who's going through puberty reflect on the whole thing (I'm talking about the episode where chris doesn't want to leave Sonic)

Well, that's my view on the character. 

9 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It was Warner Bros who distributed DVDs of it actually :U

Oh, huh.

...Pretty sure they have just as bad a record as Disney. 

6 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Oh, huh.

...Pretty sure they have just as bad a record as Disney. 

You aren't wrong. WB is really shit when getting out TV series. It's saying something when we're only now getting DC Animated Movies and proper boxsets of Batman The Animated Series.

On 05/09/2016 at 11:40 AM, davethesodaguy said:

I think I'll say what was already said here but the Sonic OVA and Sonic CD Animations are much better and capture Sonic in motion in a much more awesome way than this, after all those animations were done by the greats at TOEI.

You know, I may actually get hate from every sort of side here, but I see positive aspects on Chris's character.

It wasn't done very well, but it could have been done in a  way that could teach kids about growing up that could Rival that of Pixar's style of storytelling

I mean, at the end of the show you can see that Chris' Relationship with Sonic is like a bond between a kid and the things that make him a child,so it's kind of hard for chris to say goodbye to these things (AKA Sonic himself) 

I see that as the perfect allusion to ourselves. The adults who grew up with Sonic had to say goodbye to their childish ways in one point in their lives, they had to get a job, to see someone in their family die, they had to somehow say goodbye to Sonic... Yet Sonic was still there all the time... 

They could have done sent a really deep and emotional message (even if the show was for kids) if they had explored that idea in the right way but unfortunately Chris has become a very annoying character that noone likes.

And you can see that they try and do that in some way in the japanese version, the music is much deeper and emotional on that version, there are moments of silence that kind of makes a kid who's going through puberty reflect on the whole thing (I'm talking about the episode where chris doesn't want to leave Sonic)

Well, that's my view on the character. 

Not even sure that was supposed to be the point of Sonic and Chris's friendship.

Chris struck me more as a supposedly lonely kid who Sonic took under his wing and wants to be tough like Sonic, he's supposed to be relateable in that he looks up to Sonic and seeks comfort from him and at the same time tries to break out in his own way and become his own person, however, this is kind of already the point of Sonic's relationship with Tails, and possibly Amy, too.

I'm not exactly sure I could really relate to Sonic representing Chris's childhood either, the idea of "saying goodbye to your childhood" just never really made all that much sense to me.

I could never understand how Chris was supposedly "lonely". Oh his parents are never around? So what? He still has a grandfather and two devoted house staff who love him to bits, and he has a close group of school friends who don't care that he's wealthy and just like him for who he is.

How the hell is this child lonely?

The point of Chris' character is rather unsubtly exposited by Chuck in Episode 51, I think.  The message presented is that money isn't everything and that, despite having all the material posessions he could ever want, Chris still finds himself alone and sad.  What Sonic supposedly offered Chris was the kind of friend that cured him of boredom and loneliness, and letting go of Sonic was not letting go of his childhood, but being forced to let go of someone you love, because it's better for them.  Sonic belonged in his own world, and Chris had to accept that keeping Sonic from going home was selfish, even if it came from a place of love.

In my opinion, this kind of plot sounds beautiful on paper, but where it falls apart is in execution.  The reason Chris is so disliked is because the very reason we're supposed to empathize with him is contradicted at various points in the show.  He's supposed to be some lonely, neglected child with parents that satisfy only his material needs, yet is seen at various points throughout the series to have a strong, loving bond with both his parents.  if that's not enough, Tanaka, Chuck, and Ella all show their love and support for him pretty much throughout the entirety of the original 52 episodes.  And even more problematic, he's shown as having a close circle of friends including Danny, Helen, and Pink-Overalls Girl (that's her official name now and I refuse to be told otherwise) who care about him and love him.  AND, last time I swear, his own teacher is constantly watching over him.  Granted, for the most part it's for government purpoes, but my point basically stands.  The whole world literally revolves around this child.  So when it's revealed that he's supposed to be lonely and neglected, it just makes Chris come across as selfish and antisocial, making him immediately less empathizable.

Chris could have been done better, though he still would have basically been a shoehorned audience avatar, but as it stands, his character is just Scrappy Doo levels of flawed, to put it nicely.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I could never understand how Chris was supposedly "lonely". Oh his parents are never around? So what? He still has a grandfather and two devoted house staff who love him to bits, and he has a close group of school friends who don't care that he's wealthy and just like him for who he is.

How the hell is this child lonely?

It's not so much my logic, Sonic X seemed to suppose that Chris felt alone because his parents were always out, but he does have other people who love him, it may not be ideal but It didn't neccisarily justify the "sad lonely rich kid" angle they seemed to be going for.

8 hours ago, Green Eyes said:

It's not so much my logic, Sonic X seemed to suppose that Chris felt alone because his parents were always out, but he does have other people who love him, it may not be ideal but It didn't neccisarily justify the "sad lonely rich kid" angle they seemed to be going for.

I mean, kids have a pretty natural connection to their parents, so I can understand why he would want to see his mother and father more often, even if he has others that love him and take good care of him.

But the show also has more than a handful of episodes where we see his parents at home and where Chris actually gets to go to work with his parents.  As Cream even mentions in episode 6(?), Chris gets to talk to his mom on the phone all the time, and his mother is torn up by the fact that she (apparently?) is constantly letting her son down.

I find it funny how that episode pretty much highlighted the entire problem with the first two seasons of the show.  Like they actually acknowledged all the character's flaws and still decided to just roll with it. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/5/2016 at 6:40 AM, davethesodaguy said:

Sonic CD animation was done by Toei (co-production with Studio JunIo), but Sonic OVA animation was done by Studio Pierrot

Wouldn't call Toei great because that would mean they put out good animation in their anime nowadays. I do agree that both animation do capture Sonic in motion better than Sonic X did.