Awoo.

Sonic X discussion

VO.SUPER

7 hours ago, Hyobu Kyosuke said:

You mean like that incomplete one? I have no idea if they're out of print or not, but I managed to get a hold of one from Amazon. It was costly, yes, but very worth it.

Just checked and its out of stock. Damn.

• 3 months later...

You know what the weirdest thing about the Japanese version of the show is that nobody ever seems to talk about?

Japanese executive person: "You know what this show really needs? Songs from an old 60's folk band!"

(I'm not dissing the songs, I love them, but still, what a random decision).

What is even weirder is that those songs were removed from the episodes in DVD releases and replaced by Hikaru Michi (at least the ones I watched)

I bought a 3-disc set of Off Course singles in an import store years ago because of their music in Sonic X. Good stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Sephy said:

What is even weirder is that those songs were removed from the episodes in DVD releases and replaced by Hikaru Michi (at least the ones I watched)

It's a common thing for licensed music to only be licensed for the TV airing of a show.  It happens in all TV, and it's why you'll sometimes find a song is replaced in the DVD release of a TV show despite re-runs of the show on TV still having the original music.  There are some even weirder more specific cases where songs have been replaced exclusively in Netflix versions of old TV shows because their original licensing agreements accounted for home media releases but not the future of online digital streaming services.

Anyway I'm guessing either the director or the music director were fans of the band.  The songs work really well in either case - the DVD replacements are decent and don't hurt the mood of the scenes at all, but the intended Off Course songs fit so much better.  I still get super nostalgic for watching this show as a teenager when I listen to Natsu No Hi, like, to a ridiculous degree.

I personally hate the DVD version of the Natsu No Hi scene. Hikari Michi doesn't fit the scene at all.

You can tell the animation was specifically timed to the former.

Funnily enough, the Off Course songs are retained in the French version, Japanese lyrics and all. Except they sound all wrong because the French dub has a slightly faster speed that makes everything higher pitched.

14 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I personally hate the DVD version of the Natsu No Hi scene. Hikari Michi doesn't fit the scene at all.

You can tell the animation was specifically timed to the former.

Funnily enough, the Off Course songs are retained in the French version, Japanese lyrics and all. Except they sound all wrong because the French dub has a slightly faster speed that makes everything higher pitched.

Screw PAL conversion, that is the reason they are fast. 

Speaking of PAL changes, check out the PAL Sonic 1...

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

300w.jpg

How?

This one Sonic anime managed to survive on four separate programming blocks (Fox Box, 4kidsTV, CW4kids, Vortexx) and it still hasn't bit the dust? I mean, I'm happy and this does wonders for my nostalgia even though I don't have ThisTV, but this is uncanny!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did see a episode on tv a couple days ago 

I'm surprised this show is still getting rerun

first episode was so good but the whole series goes to shit once chris shows up

what made the first episode so good was that it was really entertaining to see sonic face off with the humans; i think that should have been the main focus of the show. chris would have been alright as a one off character

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/5/2017 at 8:59 AM, GucciBurr said:

first episode was so good but the whole series goes to shit once chris shows up

what made the first episode so good was that it was really entertaining to see sonic face off with the humans; i think that should have been the main focus of the show. chris would have been alright as a one off character

ugh, yes, he was so annoying, and everytime i try to rewatch the show he always ruins it for me cause i just cannot stand him. if he wasn't so major and didn't wreck amy's scene, i'd find him somewhat tolerable. he just really sucks.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, rosedust said:

ugh, yes, he was so annoying, and everytime i try to rewatch the show he always ruins it for me cause i just cannot stand him. if he wasn't so major and didn't wreck amy's scene, i'd find him somewhat tolerable. he just really sucks.

The saddest thing is, Chris is actually a somewhat well constructed character. His backstory is introduced quickly and explains his traits (his neediness is due to his loneliness from his parents never being present, his wanting to go on adventures due to his pampered lifestyle, etc) yet the show also early on establishes heroic qualities to show he's not just a whiny spoilt rich boy - heck, in his very first scene, the kid dives head first into a pool in the middle of the night still in his pyjamas just because he thought a random animal fell in the pool. And manages to surface dive to the bottom of a swimming pool and pull out a large animal despite still being in his jammies and having just woken up; that's actually kinda rad for a kid that age.

The problem is, despite actually being fairly well thought out, that sort of character was just absolutely the wrong choice to insert into a story with Sonic and company; his clingyness and tendency to insert himself into every story meant that he ended up taking away from all of the other characters when they should have been the focus. I get they wanted to have an audience surrogate character, particularly to help Sonic acclimatise to the human world in a (kind of) realistic way, and that they needed to make sure he wasn't just a token character who does nothing... but they unfortunately overcompensated and went too far the other way.

Which is a shame, because Chris could have actually been a fairly compelling character in a different show.

• Thumbs Up 6

6 hours ago, Nestor said:

The saddest thing is, Chris is actually a somewhat well constructed character. His backstory is introduced quickly and explains his traits (his neediness is due to his loneliness from his parents never being present, his wanting to go on adventures due to his pampered lifestyle, etc) yet the show also early on establishes heroic qualities to show he's not just a whiny spoilt rich boy - heck, in his very first scene, the kid dives head first into a pool in the middle of the night still in his pyjamas just because he thought a random animal fell in the pool. And manages to surface dive to the bottom of a swimming pool and pull out a large animal despite still being in his jammies and having just woken up; that's actually kinda rad for a kid that age.

The problem is, despite actually being fairly well thought out, that sort of character was just absolutely the wrong choice to insert into a story with Sonic and company; his clingyness and tendency to insert himself into every story meant that he ended up taking away from all of the other characters when they should have been the focus. I get they wanted to have an audience surrogate character, particularly to help Sonic acclimatise to the human world in a (kind of) realistic way, and that they needed to make sure he wasn't just a token character who does nothing... but they unfortunately overcompensated and went too far the other way.

Which is a shame, because Chris could have actually been a fairly compelling character in a different show.

Thank you sir or madam. I mean Chris isn't really unlikabke, it's that he seemed shoehorned in and hogged focus from Sonic and friends. Maybe if he was implemented into the plots much more subtly and shared the focus with the other characters then people may not have had a big problem with him.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Nestor said:

preach! i agree with all of those points. it just made him very, very, aggravating.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

@Nestor 

How do you think Chris should have been used in the anime?

I think that if they had used him as more of a support character like Chuck Thorndyke or Mr Tanaka - someone to possibly set up the story, or provide some insight into the human world's perspective - while giving the actual Sonic cast the main focus of the story, Chris would have worked better. You could have also then thrown in a handful of Chris-centric episodes now and again to give him a bit of development without it being too annoying that the show was all about him.

Episode 21 (Fast Friends) is a good example of how it could have worked - Chris is there and kind of involved, but the spotlight isn't on him and he isn't integral to the plot of the story, leaving room for the other characters to do their stuff. If most episodes had been like that, his character would have been far better.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've often thought it would've been sweeter if Helen was the main human character.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 4 weeks later...

One thing that I noticed was that Knuckles is treated whether unfairly in the show sometimes with Unfair Ball being the most glaring example.

On 7/8/2017 at 7:56 AM, RedFox99 said:

@Nestor 

How do you think Chris should have been used in the anime?

On 7/8/2017 at 9:17 PM, Ernest-Panda said:

I've often thought it would've been sweeter if Helen was the main human character.

By having Helen as the main character instead of Chris. She seemed the most interesting as well as I thought as she deserved the most attention.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, antyep said:

By having Helen as the main character instead of Chris. She seemed the most interesting as well as I thought as she deserved the most attention.

Plus they could have had her develop to overcome her disabilities. 

I think one of the biggest issues for Chris is that he comes off as an whiny entitled brat. The show tries multiple times to make you feel sympathetic towards him, especially in Season 2's finale, but the issue is it doesn't work. Chuck (and the show in general) really tries to shrug off the numerous bad things Chris has done that were selfish and tries to preach to Chris' parents about not spending time with him. They really try to make it off like Chris is lonely and miserable, except the fact he has a group of friends at school, he's rich, he has his grandfather, butler/bodyguard and maid, he has Sonic and co etc. 

Chris really has no right to claim that his life is lonely and miserable, not to mention the fact that it isn't even his parents neglecting him. There's multiple times where they clearly show that legitimately, Chris' mother and father are really too busy to spend much time with him, his mother having an acting career, his father having a massive business. Yet, they also show that every single chance that they get, they try to spend time with Chris. His mother went to the lengths of convincing an Hollywood executive to allow her to fly Chris and co over to a filming location and let them sleep there despite the filming taking place.

So it makes it totally baffling when we're meant to legitimately sympathise with Sonic and Chris in Season 2's finale when both of them just look like total dickheads. Chris for selfishly endangering two entire planets because he doesn't want to say bye to Sonic, despite having no justifiable reasoning for doing so, and Sonic for even entertaining the entire notion in the first place and even offering to remain and fuck over both worlds if it makes Chris happy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if it's a case of value dissonance for at least some of these points. I mean, for one example, two working parents is nothing in the Western world, but in Japan I think that was still relatively uncommon in the early 00's so Chris not having one of his parents around constantly would be seen as a sympathetic point, even with the lengths they go to for him.

I'm not trying to defend the show, mind. If anything, it just means that the showrunners didn't do enough research into how this would be perceived in the Western market where it was likely going to be most prolific. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...