Awoo.

Sonic X discussion

VO.SUPER

I never really been a fan of Sonic X. Then again, I'm not exactly a fan of anime. I like some, though. It takes me by surprise.

Sonic X is my third favorite Sonic Cartoon, behind SatAM and AoStH. It was okay, but I really hated how much attention the humans got and how Sonic was portrayed as being lazy laying around all the time, starting my complaints off. Pretty much I disliked the portrayal of all the characters actually, especially Tails as he was put on the backburner at the expense of Chris as were all Sonic's other friends actually. As annoying as Chris is, I don't hate him as I understand totally why he is so whiny, clingy and bratty. He is lonely, as he is an only child and a spoiled brat, who pretty much had his parents in and out of his life due to their careers. With the massive inconsistancies with the animation, Verte more than well and excellently covered it, so I won't go further as it isn't at all necessary. While I understand 4Kids' intentions to make the cartoon more "child friendly" with its edits and whatnot, they just went overboard and for lack of a better word, "butchered" the show to where it is barely enjoyable.

Now as for positives, the only character I truly enjoyed was Dr. Eggman. His characterizaton was excellent. From being a mischievous, intelligent villian he also provided so much needed humor in the show and even rewarded us with points of morality at times. I also liked Decoe, Bocoe & and Bokkun (not as much as I like Orbot & Cubot, Scratch, Grounder & Coconuts though) I know the voice acting was by no means great, but I am a big fan of the 4Kids voice acting cast, so the voices didn't bother me much. In appreciation, Sonic X is currently the only Sonic cartoon that gives us the modern versions of the characters, as well as being the only Sonic cartoon with Amy, Cream, Cheese, Shadow, Rouge, Espio, Charmy, Vector (man I wish the Chaotix showed up more in this show as they were a riot!) and Big as part of the cast. And the show ran for 78 episodes, which was the longest running Sonic cartoon to give it credit.

A few of the episodes I really enjoyed, but I wanted to mention 2 of them that stood out to me. The episode "Unfair Ball" was one I really enjoyed, being the big sports fan that I am along with all the shenanigans from both teams throughout the game were funny. I really liked the episode "That's What Friends Are For", for Sonic's showed himself as kind and caring as he declined an invition to a party from the President in order to keep his promise to Helen by taking her out. I thought that episode characterized Sonic quite well.

Something else I appreciated about Sonic X was how widespread it was in regards to its audience. From Canada to Austraila, and everywhere in between, this cartoon was broadcasted nearly EVERYWHERE. Being dubbed in various languages from Japanese (I actually learned a bit of Japanese from watching the Japanese episodes!) provided plenty of opportunity for Sonic to receive exposure worldwide.

I personally have to give credit again to Sonic X, as it was the catalyst that caused me to come back to the Sonic series and fandom after a 15-year hitatus. It was a clip of the first episode that I stumbled across on Youtube back in 2010 that captured my attention, and things rocketed "Sonic-wise" with my interest from there as I wanted to see more, with my piqued interest eventually causing me to come back to the Sonic series and become a big Sonic fan again. smile.png

Edited by Sonikku_Kiah
  • Thumbs Up 6

I don't think I could ever find myself watching this show again. It has a few good episodes but then those are the only few I'd seek out to watch.

What bothered me about this show was the game adaptations into the show. How does the chaos emerald go from soinc's dimension to the human dimension, back the soinc's dimension during SA2 adaptation?

Here's another question, how did Prof. Gerald get to Earth anyways? He's Dr. Eggman's grandfather, but if Eggman is from Sonic's dimension then why was the arc on earth in the first place. Did they ever explain that?

What bothered me about this show was the game adaptations into the show. How does the chaos emerald go from soinc's dimension to the human dimension, back the soinc's dimension during SA2 adaptation?

When the show started using the games storyline, they stated that part of Sonic's world was transported to the Human world.

So technically the Emeralds never went anywhere.

Asking this again just because my post was in a bad place for answers. (Wish I could delete posts.)

Here's another question, how did Prof. Gerald get to Earth anyways? He's Dr. Eggman's grandfather, but if Eggman is from Sonic's dimension then why was the arc on earth in the first place. Did they ever explain that?

Eggman is originally from earth, he got transported to Sonic's world due to some unexplained event at some unexplained time.

Eggman is originally from earth, he got transported to Sonic's world due to some unexplained event at some unexplained time.

Was that ever explained in the show? Because I'm sure to him Earth was considered a new world.

Was that ever explained in the show? Because I'm sure to him Earth was considered a new world.

When Eggman first discovers his grandfathers diary he says something like 'This world is where I originally came from' or words to that effect, but it doesn't go into any more detail then that.

When Eggman first discovers his grandfathers diary he says something like 'This world is where I originally came from' or words to that effect, but it doesn't go into any more detail then that.

That honestly sounds like a bad retcon, because I seem to recall him in earlier episodes commenting on how this world was new to him.

• Thumbs Up 1

That honestly sounds like a bad retcon, because I seem to recall him in earlier episodes commenting on how this world was new to him.

That all depends on when he originally got transported to Sonic's world, If he was just a baby at the time then Earth would seem like a new world to him as he would have no memory of it.

But I agree it does sound like bad storytelling at this point.

Eevee is correct. In the show he even says something to the effect of "this is the world I was born in!"

Although in the Japanese version, Sonic's world is just the future of Earth.

Edited by Solly

That all depends on when he originally got transported to Sonic's world, If he was just a baby at the time then Earth would seem like a new world to him as he would have no memory of it.

But I agree it does sound like bad storytelling at this point.

It seems anytime that time or dimension travel is used, polts holes are unavoidable. The only way to fix that is to make the two worlds one.

That honestly sounds like a bad retcon

It also creates a plothole. Time passes differently between the two worlds. One year in Chris's world is equal to one month in Sonic's world. Which means that if Robotnik was sent to Sonic's world as a child he shouldn't be middle age. Edited by Vampfox

It also creates a plothole. Time passes differently between the two worlds. One year in Chris's world is equal to one month in Sonic's world. Which means that if Robotnik was sent to Sonic's world as a child he shouldn't be middle age.

It's not really a plothole since we don't really know when Eggman went to Sonic's world.

It's not really a plothole since we don't really know when Eggman went to Sonic's world.

That and I don't think the "time-being-different where Sonic's from" was even a plot-point in the Japanese version, since they both take place in the same world.

Although Chris coming into Sonic's world/time as a child doesn't make much sense no matter how you slice it.

Edited by Solly

No, time passing differently was a thing in the Japanese version as well. Dunno where you're getting the bit about Sonic's world being future earth. Was that a season 3 thing?

I don't recall any instance in Sonic X where Sonic's world was stated to be a future Earth. In episode 49, a goverment scientist states that Earth and Sonic's world were once one in the extremely distant past. A cataclysmic event split the planet in two and separated them in different dimensions, also creating a different flow of time in each.

1 day on Earth = 1 week in Sonic's world. Which makes episode 54's mentioning of timeflow a plothole, as it was mentioned that 6 years on Earth = 6 months in Sonic's world in that episode.

Another little issue about Sonic X is that sensically, the characters should've aged a year over the course of the series. 6 months had been stated to have passed between episode 26 and 27 and 6 months passed between episodes 52 and 53, meaning that the characters aged a year. I think that this is why ages were left off of season 3 info cards;

78b.jpg

See? Sonic sensically aged from 15 to 16. And yet his eyecatcher from episode 78 misses out age altogether. The same goes for Chris' eyecatcher.

Edited by Vertekins

No, time passing differently was a thing in the Japanese version as well. Dunno where you're getting the bit about Sonic's world being future earth. Was that a season 3 thing?

In episode 52, Eggman mentions that heat-seeking missles are a gift from the 21st century. I recall a few other instances but my memory of the show is a little hazy.

Really, the Sonic X writers should have just stuck to one world of anthros and humans and could have avoided all this confusion and these plotholes.

In my opinion: This stinks!

Really, the Sonic X writers should have just stuck to one world of anthros and humans and could have avoided all this confusion and these plotholes.

In my opinion: This stinks!

I recall an old interview stating that the writers were allowed to have freedom on writing the show as they wanted. I think the interview was on anime news network.

I recall an old interview stating that the writers were allowed to have freedom on writing the show as they wanted. I think the interview was on anime news network.

Not sure how to take that. They still should have avoided it for the sake of avoiding plot holes.

They should've just written the anthros and humans in the same world like in the games in order to avoid all that mess in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1