Awoo.

Sonic X discussion

VO.SUPER

...Why would they celebrate it? It's irrelevant to the franchise now, as much as any other cartoon that's been left as history by SEGA. 

The 10th anniversary of Chris Thornedyke X?

Naah. I mean, I'm surprised there was no reference to it in Generations (a wall poster maybe like in SA1 - correct me if I am wrong but I haven't spotted any) but a celebration of a terrible Sonic cartoon? Why?!

The voices made me cringe usually (I was so excited for Shadow's debut and then my ears bled) and the human subplots were just unnecessary. Cartoons should stick to Mobius and its problems. I'd really like a cartoon that just bridged the continuity between games or something instead of having to come up with its own new alternate reality. If nothing else a new character shouldn't displace the central ones - Sonic, Tails, Shadow, Knuckles, Eggman and Amy. Chris basically rescued Sonic from that pool and then pushed Tails into it. With cement shoes. And sharks in it. On fire.

As for the show itself I watched until Episode 30-40, purchased the SA2 arc, and after that never paid much interest barring the rare showing of it on morning cartoons. I wouldn't be surprised if its poor reception is part of the reason we haven't seen a new one.

Guys. Where I can download the soundtracks of the American version of Sonic X? In particular I am interested piano melody, performed in a "Morning of Farewells", when Chuck said goodbye to Tails (in the Japanese version thereat playing the guitar).

Honestly, I absolutely adored the Sonic X Series. It was probably my favorite thing Sonic next to the games.

I really didn't have a problem with it all, I was heartbroken when it ended. But, there were a couple of loopholes that could have made a 4th Season quite possible, not that I've heard or even seen anything about a possibility of a 4th Season besides rumors, I wouldn't mind seeing one. If they did make one, however, I would strongly hope for the return on the original Sonic X VA's. 

The fan dub, Sonic F, is actually pretty funny XD As for the show, I guess it's ok, but it didn't really bring anything new to the franchise. I'm hoping we'll get another show soon.

I wish they could make another Sonic tv series but I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. Remember those animated shorts in Sonic Unleashed? Night of the Werehog? There were never any shorts after that. =( But if they ever do a new anime series in the future, PLEASE no TMS Entertainment!

As I said in the other Sonic X topic though, it's not a great Sonic cartoon (much prefer Sonic SATAM) and it's not a great anime in general. There's too much filler, some of the characters act OOC (Sonic mostly), only a few episodes with great animation and humans taking up too much screentime. Oh, and the 4Kids dub was pretty bad. They called Emerl...ML. Yeah. WHAT?

Then there's TailsxCosmo and...yeah,..they're not even 10. o_o I It's cute, but only in a friendly way, definitely not romantic. Especially when Cosmo matures into a woman in episode 77, with Tails declaring his love for her! Uhhhh..

• 3 weeks later...

So today (or tommorow for the rest of us) is the 10th anniversary of Sonic X!

Crazy to think about. SX is 10 years old! 10!!

Were getting old guys.

• Thumbs Up 2

It would seem like a perfect time to release them on DVD properly here in the UK. We only got like 8 episodes on DVD.

So you know how the Sonic X OST kind of sucks because it left out way too much BGM?

Well someone ripped a bunch of music from the Japanese DVDs:

• Thumbs Up 3

Ya man, there's a zip file that contains way more music - the video is just a sample of what's there. There's 150 songs, and the SoundCloud link on the bottom contains a few more.

Ya man, there's a zip file that contains way more music - the video is just a sample of what's there. There's 150 songs, and the SoundCloud link on the bottom contains a few more.

Sweet! thanks. wonder why they left out soo much?!

So yeah, 10 years. man do I feel old now, I was watching this series for the first time back at Tails2k with those crummy .RM versions that could only be played on real player, 480p was like a fucking godly quality that wasn't available to me back then. no subs either, it was pure raw JP footage too.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 3

Does anyone know why all the backgrounds in Sonic X look so 16-bit and badly gradiented? Were they downscaled to 16-bit?

Does anyone know why all the backgrounds in Sonic X look so 16-bit and badly gradiented? Were they downscaled to 16-bit?

................what? huh.png

Edited by goku262002

................what? huh.png

What "what"? Look at the video thumbnail. Smooth color gradient becomes similarly colored parallel stripes.

That said, yeah, a lot of the backgrounds are rather minimalistic and lacking in colour.

Congratulations, Sonic X, and happy anniversary! 10 years of ruining the series' integrity, beginning the moment that the series started taking itself as a hyper and oversaturated kids series (rather than a more all-ages thing) with flat characterization based on anime stereotypes, messing with people's heads about canon and the Sonic universe, and just being a pretty terrible cartoon/anime overall!

Joking. Kinda. Okay not at all. :V

Had good music though, that sadly had a lot that went to waste. Sucks worse for the 4Kids dubs which got no good music. Oh well.

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well for better or worse, this series along with SA2 are probably responsible for the influx of fans around that time. So yaaaay?

Speaking of X, they started the SA2 saga this morning...god I forgot how bad Griffith's Shadow started.

I gotta say that if it wasn't for Sonic X, I would've never met 1 of my best friends. so I gotta give the show props for starting our friendship at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

I watched Sonic X when I was younger, and I thought it was okay. Not good, just okay.

Nowadays...it makes me cringe.

• 9 months later...

Since you bothered to bump, I can add that I as well find it very strange how all the backgrounds in this show, for a lack of a better word, are indexed. Smooth painting turned into blotches of Windows pallete colours.

Is it just because they were getting used to digital? That can't be right.

You know what I like the most about Sonic X?

The italian opening.

I'm not that fond of that opening, actually. If I were to be honest, my dear compatriot, I liked the Aosth Italian opening way more.

• Thumbs Up 1