Awoo.

Sonic X discussion

VO.SUPER

Out of curiosity are you referring to the Generations Robotnik quote, or his attempt as "Snoopinas"?

What the-!? No, I'm referring to infamous English dub line of Eggman in Sonic X season 3.

Most of the time. But not when he says THE LINE. The line that made Eggman fans around the globe collectively scream to the heavens; something not even 06 managed.

What line again? I don't remember X at all.

For those curious enough, just check out this video:

Yeah, they fucking went there.

Basically the line reads as Eggman literally saying:

"It's one thing to take someone prisoner and threaten them, but when you actually hurt somebody that's going too far!"

• Thumbs Up 2

Ugh! 

That line was so horribly mistranslated, like that line alone shows the worst of Sonic X. Just ugh.

Am I the only one who actually liked that line? I mean sure I know eggman isn't supposed to be one of the good guys or anything but I kind of liked the fact that it made him sound like a compassionate villain.

Curiosity. Which version are you watching? The Japanese version or the Englsih version.

Both have many horrid detriments either way, but your experience is guaranteed to vary.

Most of the time. But not when he says THE LINE. The line that made Eggman fans around the globe collectively scream to the heavens; something not even 06 managed.

Japanese. If it's one thing I can't fucking stand, it's Amy Palant as Tails. UGH.

For those curious enough, just check out this video:

Yeah, they fucking went there.

Basically the line reads as Eggman literally saying:

"It's one thing to take someone prisoner and threaten them, but when you actually hurt somebody that's going too far!"

That animation was hilarious. I'm now stuck wondering what he says in the original Japanese script.

Out of curiosity are you referring to the Generations Robotnik quote, or his attempt as "Snoopingas"?

The attempt at Snoopingas is fucking great. And to be fair, he wasn't lying! No one calls him Robotnik anymore!

Certainly not anyone at SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only one who actually liked that line? I mean sure I know eggman isn't supposed to be one of the good guys or anything but I kind of liked the fact that it made him sound like a compassionate villain.

The problem with even that the take is how fucking hypocritical it makes him.

Seriously this is Doctor "I've gone a few rounds with the military, endangered countless lives, dropped a boy to his doom in the air, and no-holds barred beat-down, etc" Eggman Robotnik.

There are plenty ways of making him sympathetic without having him out-of-the-blue act like he doesn't condone harming others to further his own goals.

Even in the English dub, the number of times he and his machinery have laid many a beat-down, etc is astronomical; hell Sonic actually gets punched in the face in the pilot episode.

• Thumbs Up 1

Japanese. If it's one thing I can't fucking stand, it's Amy Palant as Tails. UGH.

Did Amy Palant ever have a good shot as Tails?

I think Palant is the weakest out of all of Tails' voices since she made Tails sound very bland. This is extremely noticeable after hearing Kate and Colleen's performances.

You'd think 4kids being the ones to commission the third season would have more supervision over it, so they wouldn't have to make the edits and mistranslations.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Palant is the weakest out of all of Tails' voices since she made Tails sound very bland. This is extremely noticeable after hearing Kate and Colleen's performances.

I mean, my problem with Palant's Tails is the reason why Kate and Colleen's have worked for me so far. Kate and Colleen actually sound like 8 year old boys. Palant sounds like a grown woman trying too hard to sound like an 8 year old boy. It's nasally and high-pitched and generic. The newer voice (which Kate created and Colleen seems to be trying to imitate to a tee) has a boyish tone to it, which it really needed, but it's also got sort of the endearing and intelligent tone that you'd expect from Tails, where Palant never really seemed interested in creating a character for Tails through sound.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why does everyone hate that line thogh?

Its apparently a contradiction on eggmans character but eh, I still appreciate it.

I don't necessarily hate it, it just comes off as incredibly hypocritical coming from a guy who captures small animals, imprisons them in machines, and then sucks their life force in order to power said machines and uses them to attack other small animals and the world.

thats true. i just suprise i see so much hate with 4kids and the english dub in this show. I dont have any problem with the english dubs. its not a horrible as the fans of the Japan version make it to be. but then again... japan fans

Oh yeah, that line does make Eggman sound like a hypocrite. XD wonder what the Japanese line was...

I mean, my problem with Palant's Tails is the reason why Kate and Colleen's have worked for me so far. Kate and Colleen actually sound like 8 year old boys. Palant sounds like a grown woman trying too hard to sound like an 8 year old boy. It's nasally and high-pitched and generic. The newer voice (which Kate created and Colleen seems to be trying to imitate to a tee) has a boyish tone to it, which it really needed, but it's also got sort of the endearing and intelligent tone that you'd expect from Tails, where Palant never really seemed interested in creating a character for Tails through sound.

Not to mention Amy Palant's acting was really sub par. Compare that scene where Tails cries in episode 78 to the English dub version. Then again, it was hard to pull off since Cosmo wasn't even killed in the dub!

But yeah, Kate and Colleen are far better at pulling off the young boyish tone and I think their acting is much better too.

• Thumbs Up 2

i really like this scene

i feel Sonics anger in both languages. but i was afraid in this version.

I don't like that particular scene at all. I know Sonic isn't doing anything cos he hates himself for killing Cosmo but come on, give him a reassuring hug or something, ANYTHING to comfort Tails! It looks to me like he's giving Tails the cold shoulder.

God, Season 3 tried way too hard to be dramatic and dark. The only things I liked about that season were Chris' lack of screen time, The Metarex (they were badass and I'd love to see them appear in a future Sonic game) and Cosmo. There was still the bad animation though and TailsxCosmo was weird because, you know, he's only 8. And then there's the crappy ending was left everything on a cliffhanger making us believe there would be a fourth season. It was better than the first two seasons but not by much.

Edit: And that video of Sonic and Shadow "fighting" is why I think this should have been animated by a different studio. Or give TMS a bigger budget, bloody hell.

I think the problem was they made so Sonic so one dimentionally perfectionized in the anime he wasn't really humanized enough to express...you know...sad emotions. While we have at least seen plausible moments of despair from games Sonic and others from the possibility of failure (eg. Next Gen and Lost World), Sonic X Sonic was more an Ace played from other characters' perspective so we don't see his side of it.

There's also the fact it was made in Japan, which is more conservative of emotions than in the West.

I can't help but feel TMS was just trying to make Season Three as over the top as possible just to make 4Kids squirm given how they treated the previous episodes. Sorta ironic since it was only made due to the ratings in the west specifically.

The first Chaos battle in episode 27 is even worse. You can almost count the frames used.

In fairness, this was the era Tails as a character was at his blandest. She was working with what she was given for the most part.

• Thumbs Up 1

TMS didn't care about Sonic X in Japan. Sonic X's competition on television was a Magical Girl show at the time, and it lost to it in ratings. The ratings were just so abysmal there was little point to even showing the last few episodes there. So to TMS, they just didn't care about the plot in Sonic X.

Also, as for Sonic lacking emotions; this seems to be a problem with him being the mascot character and all. Remember that situation that happened with the Archie comics a while back when Sonic couldn't cry heavily at the loss of his children? Sonic is so popularly known as being the "super chill" guy of the group who wants adventure and everything boyish. (Just stating a stereotype.) So Sonic doesn't really show as wide a variety of emotions as he could at times, especially back in those days. 

In fairness Archie Sonic and even Games Sonic had a much wider range of emotions than that of the anime. Hell even the comic book adaption had a more open Sonic.

I just kinda feel that was the sorta character he was limited to in the anime, less a star but more a prop for the other more interesting characters to emote from. Most of the side plots and development weren't about him specifically.

( i cant find the orginal episode so im going to try to remember what he say)

you make many mistakes. we also take hostages, but without mistreating them. this kind of thing should not be done its illegel (i think it was to the fake emeralds)

You'll need more then fire to kill this.

Personally, it's okay, but like Hazama said, the humans get way too many attention.

If the series was just about Mobius, then I'd love it.

Funny enough, the show's pilot does show that it would've taken place in a world with other anthropomorphic characters. Anyway, my opinion of the show? Pretty much what JezMM said.

It had it's charm, but I felt story and characterization were a bit too "erratic" for what it aimed for. The mood whiplash between episodes or even scenes was very uneasy, even by normal standards of Sonic media (Cosmo's death is just disturbing to watch) and it tended to oversimplify a lot of the cast, often according to Comedic Sociopathy humor (eg. Amy slowly became a perpetually violent little sociopath, while Knuckles became such a punching bag even Cream bullied him around). Some of the climaxes or morals of certain episodes also got round me the wrong way (eg. Knuckles constantly falling to The Complainer Is Always Wrong, even under broken or hypocritical terms, while the Teacher Robot's death in episode 10 came off as rather cruel).

• Thumbs Up 5

• 2 months later...

Sometimes I wonder, what Sonic X's chances would have been if it was English dubbed by someone other than 4kids and did not feature Chris Thorndyke.

Overall, its the best of all possible animated Sonic shows, since its the most faithful to the video games, in the country the franchise was created it, with involvement from the same people who worked on the games. Like all things from Japan, Sonic was meant to be an anime.

Sure SatAM had an epic and rich story plot for the 90's, but that was for the sake of the American Knothole continuity. What animated series do we have that stays faithful to the modern video games by Sonic Team?