Awoo.

Ryan Drummond Almost Returned

TheDanimator

Oh shit, here we go. Grab your snacks and grab your kids, cause we're in for one hell of a thread.

Damn, sega. You guys are kind of assholes. Not gonna lie.

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm a bit more concerned over the apparent implication that they were going to get shot of Roger after just two games.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm a bit more concerned over the apparent implication that they were going to get shot of Roger after just two games.

Wait, what? Where does it say that?

I just found it interesting that he said it was Generations and not Colors (since he mentioned Jason and the 4kids cast). Maybe he got it wrong since it would have been weird hiring a new cast for Colors and then go back to the first for Generations.

Also if that's what Sega offered then it's messed up yo.

Edited by TheBlueWind
  • Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't outright state it, but it's implied in the text.

• Thumbs Up 1

This bit here. Bolded specifically.

Ryan- In a heartbeat! I never wanted to leave! But as most of you know, we were all let go by Sega and replaced for reasons too vast to go into right now. There was a glimmer of hope a while back when Generations was being cast. Sega asked me to come to LA and “re-audition” for the role of Sonic because they were doing the same thing to Jason and that cast that they did to us years before. So I went and they were very pleased to have me back and they actually said they were going to have me back and it was going to be this great reunion. Then when the actual offer came to my agent, it was a complete joke. They asked me to leave my union (which is how I make a living), do all kinds of work for no compensation, etc. It was a real slap in the face. I really don’t see it ever happening. Sega is a huge corporation with zillions of dollars and they don’t see any need to change the way they do things. There’s a lot more detail I can’t go into because of legal reasons, but let’s just say that I wish I’d been voicing Sonic all this time, I would return in a heartbeat, but if Sega ever decides to hire me again the devil’s making sno-cones. It’s cool though, I would love to be Sonic again, but I have plenty of VO work without Sega.

Why would SEGA go to the effort of summoning back Ryan and Jason if they didn't have the prerogative of the possibility of replacing Roger? Unless Ryan accidentally got mixed-up with Colours...

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 2

Wow, SEGA was being kind-of an asshole, or...were they planning on having more than two Sonics? LolNo

Edited by Big Boss
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think Ryan might have got his wires crossed, because the recast would have been done not long before the Generations voice recording was being done. So it would have been for Colours and Free Riders instead.

Edited by Wally Gator

Why would SEGA go to the effort of summoning back Ryan and Jason if they didn't have the prerogative of the possibility of replacing Roger? Unless Ryan accidentally got mixed-up with Colours...

That's what I'm thinking. I really enjoyed Roger Craig Smiths work and I think it's pretty annoying and fucked up on SEGA's part that they're thinking of replacing Roger already. They should've recast Ryan Drummond instead of going through the trouble of hiring a brand new cast and just pissing more people off.

I hate all this voice actors change and pretty fed up with it. Just hire a voice cast and stick with them already. sleep.png

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 2

Could Ryan have almost been the voice of Classic Sonic?

Ummm...

Edited by The Goddamn Joker
  • Thumbs Up 2

As dickish as their treatment of him is, I'm impressed that Sega actually considered bringing him back, especially after they had just replaced Sonic's VA one game earlier.

• Thumbs Up 1

I imagine that's probably either a typo by the website or just an error on his part. He probably gets mixed up with all these auditions and if you're not a big fan of Sonic then you're not likely to remember names very well.

Well, dunno how to react to this. I've always gotten the impression that Sega weren't all that friendly, but I also thought they were getting better with all this new community interaction we've been having lately. I hate to say it, but it really lowers my opinion of them as a whole when they treat genuine, hard-working people like Ryan badly. It's not a good look for them and asking someone to leave their union is just ridiculous!

Edited by Wordy
  • Thumbs Up 4

You don't suppose they considered using Ryan to do a Classic Sonic voice? Just a thought.

GODDAMN YOU JOKER YOU BEAT ME TO IT!

Edited by NightwingFox

Cheer up guys, at least we still have Roger right!?

*walks away*

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 9

Cheer up guys, at least we still have Roger right!?

*walks away*

... Oh, great, now I'm worried about how long he'll last...

Maybe SEGA was planning on using more than two Sonics in Generations?

Edited by Big Boss
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'd bet money that when Drummond says "Generations" he's just referring to the recasting in general. I doubt they were considering replacing Roger in between Colors and Gens.

As far as the news goes... meh. He almost returned, he didn't, we still have a good voice, who cares.

• Thumbs Up 5