Awoo.

Ryan Drummond Almost Returned

TheDanimator

What? You're saying... SEGA are... assholes?

No... No! That's not true! ...That's impossible!

Oh what the heck, I'll laugh anyway! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Thumbs Up 2

I hate all this voice actors change and pretty fed up with it. Just hire a voice cast and stick with them already. sleep.png

• Thumbs Up 4

It’s a difficult situation in that all looked done and dusted for Ryan to return and then the little issue of a union gets in the way. Of course these days unions are much more common. Voice Actors (or any form of Actor for that matter) will want to get the best deal they can, so one can’t blame Ryan for joining his union.

Personally, I don’t think we can blame SEGA anymore than Ryan or his union. SEGA have their own rules and if the decision had to be made to get Roger on the cheap, then in hindsight with their recent financial struggles maybe it was the correct decision. Very hard to say.

There is an article regarding this on TSSZ. I have to say it is a really good article by Tristan.

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/09/09/report-drummond-re-auditioned-for-sonic-va-during-generations-development/comment-page-1/#comment-117186

I could be wrong, but in my mind...paying the main characters voice actor in a series is NOT going to make or break a company as big as Sega no matter how "bad" they are doing financially.

What actor anyone likes better is totally besides the point and irrelevant here in my mind.

The fact of the matter is, Ryan was cast as Sonic first. Sega played with fire when they replaced the cast with the 4kids one.

Its a move that was unfair and simply should have NEVER been made.

Which is why getting Ryan back would be a step forward in my mind. I am NOT just saying this because he is my favorite Sonic voice.

I just think its horrible to begin with to give someone such a big role as one of the most iconic characters and then take it away for little to no reason, which is why I feel like Drummond deserves another chance.

To be completely fair, no one really knows what EXACTLY went down behind closed doors, Im sure Sega had their reasons even if they were not fair ones.

And Ryan also said " There’s a lot more detail I can’t go into because of legal reasons,"

I just really wonder what these details are.

I feel like Ryan has a very clear and accurate view of what happened to him, If he feels he was treated poorly then I am steered to agree.

Of course, this is just based off my feeling that hes a genuine and nice guy.

I still say...back when Drummond was voicing Sonic, VERY FEW people had a problem with his voice.

Sure, some reviews critisized the voice acting in the games but the VAST majority of the fanbase was content with Ryan. Therefor Sega had something that was not broken and tried to fix it by replacing him (In a sense)

Now, if HALF the fanbase disliked Ryans portrayol, this would be different.

Then, when the 4kids actors came along, the VAST majority of the fanbase were pissed off

it seemed to me that at least a good 95 percent of people wanted Ryan back...

That just shows me that Ryan was doing something right.

With the 4kids actors in the picture, new generations of people were introduced into the franchise thinking the characters were being portrayed accurately.

A portion of the fanbase started leaning towards Jason and Company because that portrayal of Sonic was the first portrayol they had seen. (Or the rare situation that they thought Jason was an improvement when they grew up with Ryan)

I believe it is a objective statement to say...If you change a characters voice, you change the feel of the character, therefor changing the character in a sense.

Some say Jason and Ryan sound the same...but the majority of people would agree they sound different.

Whether or not you like Ryan or Jason or Roger better is besides the point.

The point is...

If you change a characters voice, you change the character, period.

This is why this situation is so screwed up to me, when they made such a drastic change they changed who Sonic was (despite whoever liked his new portrayal) and fired someone who never deserved to be fired in the process.

I am aware that even if I feel like some of my statements are not subjective, that other people have different views and I totally respect that.

I am also aware that this may have come of as a bit preechy. Im just someone that cant stand not giving my whole view on a situation.

By the way, even though I personally dont feel like Jasons portrayal of Sonic is an accurate one.

I respect and feel sympathy towards die hard jason fans because Jason being replaced with as big of a change as Roger is also changing the feel of the character which in turn changes the character.

The main point im trying to get across here, is they should have never changed Sonics voice in the first place.

I might be very stubborn about this, but I cant help the way I feel.

In my mind, Ryan deserves the job because he never should of lost it and it was his first.

It is very sad to me because its not fair to Roger or Jason to be replaced with Ryan either.

I just feel like Ryan is MOST deserving because of him being the first one and how he was treated.

Edited by TheDanimator
  • Thumbs Up 1

Which is why getting Ryan back would be a step forward in my mind. I am NOT just saying this because he is my favorite Sonic voice.

I just think its horrible to begin with to give someone such a big role as one of the most iconic characters and then take it away for little to no reason, which is why I feel like Drummond deserves another chance.

So it's horrible for this to have been done to Ryan back in the day (and I agree), yet it's perfectly fine to do the same thing to Roger just because you feel Ryan should come back? I'm guessing you meant before Roger was actually cast for the role.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's horrible for it to happen to anybody, you being replaced for no reason.

In the meantime I'm happy that we have Roger and I know the same thing will probably happen to him in a few years. There's really nothing we can do about it.

In the meantime I'm happy that we have Roger and I know the same thing will probably happen to him in a few years. There's really nothing we can do about it.

So it's horrible for this to have been done to Ryan back in the day (and I agree), yet it's perfectly fine to do the same thing to Roger just because you feel Ryan should come back? I'm guessing you meant before Roger was actually cast for the role.

Edited by TheDanimator
  • Thumbs Up 1

This doesn't really surprise me.

SEGA were assholes back in 2005, so them still being assholes 7 years later isn't shocking news. I'm apathetic towards Drummond's performances, so whether or not he returns makes no real difference to me (hopefully direction and his acting have improved since then).

He had the opportunity, but unsurprisingly, the fact that this is a job and SEGA were offering unfair terms, meant he couldn't accept the offer.

Drummond also made one large mistake. SEGA don't have "zillions of dollars". They're relatively small for a publisher and their cashflow is hardly amazing.

Edited by Scar

Hum... sorry for reposting that xD But what's up with SEGA anyway? Do they like him or not?

Contrary to popular belief, when you work for a large company you're not part of a hivemind. The people who did the trailer aren't necessarily the people who deal with the auctions and for all we know the refusal to hire a union worker may have even come from a Sammy executive or something.

EDIT: And also, in regards to people wondering if Roger is working for nothing. For starters we're not sure how much he makes, but even then it wouldn't be the first case of an actor liking a role so much he's willing to do it almost for free. In a similar case, Doctor Who actor Anthony Aisley refused, for years, to do any acting work in general so he always had time to play the Master at BBC's request.

Edited by The KKM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Contrary to popular belief, when you work for a large company you're not part of a hivemind. The people who did the trailer aren't necessarily the people who deal with the auctions and for all we know the refusal to hire a union worker may have even come from a Sammy executive or something.

EDIT: And also, in regards to people wondering if Roger is working for nothing. For starters we're not sure how much he makes, but even then it wouldn't be the first case of an actor liking a role so much he's willing to do it almost for free. In a similar case, Doctor Who actor Anthony Aisley refused, for years, to do any acting work in general so he always had time to play the Master at BBC's request.

Very good points.

I thought we already knew Sega were a bunch of assholes about this when they fired and replaced him for ShtH without even telling him that they had.

Don't forget that they then did the same exact thing to Griffith and the rest of the 4Kids cast (sans Pollock) for Sonic Colors.

But yeah....Sega's treatment of Drummond....douche move.

segadoucheapproved.jpg

*insert Sonic 1 1-UP jingle here*

And really this basically confirms Sega are just a bunch of hacks, and killed any likability I've had for them.

Meh, it seemed more like restating the obvious that Sega are a bunch of hacks in my opinion. *glances at VA examples above, sideglance at Sonic 4 saga*

• Thumbs Up 1

While what they did is a dick move, I much prefer the current crew to the SA era one. I'll take Roger "Baldy McNosehair" Sonic over Ryan "AW YEAH THIS IS HAPPENIN" Drummond any day.

So we get told one side of a story and immediately SEGA are hacks, fuckers, bastards, and the spawn of when Satan jerked off in the bathroom while looking at pictures of Napoleon.

Meanwhile you've got some very nice posts in the thread by Hogfather amongst others explaining that "wait guys hold on what if things aren't as clear-cut as--" but nope, GOTTA HATE FAST

(edit: not to mention the irony of finding a person under the monicker "Hatsune Miku" hating SEGA)

Totally agree.

Its like you guys haven't watched an episode of CSI. Plus people are forgetting that Sega is a business...not a crowd of people who feel like making some games.

Some harsh choices are going to be made when you doing something like what SEGA is doing, and honestly... compared to other gaming companies SEGA is no where NEARLY as dickish.

Not liking the hate train hoping in this topic honestly. Not when we just heard one side of a story...

I was literally about to quote what Miku Hatsune just wrote and ask if they actually had a bloody clue as to how powerful a union can be and how it can influence what a performer can do. Because looking at some comments still on here and around the place it's quite obvious a lot of people don't.

Because I don't think it is quite as clear as people seem to make this out to be. How many people have ever heard this phrase on the news before...

"The unions have called for strike action"

In fact yesterday in the UK the teachers union called another strike later in the year (bloody surprise there). Now if Ryan is a member of a Union, then Sega wouldn't really be doing business with him or his agent as much as they'd be doing business with his union. Some other studio starts treating the unions VA's bad, they'll call a strike and Ryan would get pay from his union. Even if the dispute had nothing to do with Sega, Ryan would most likely go along with the unions actions. Yes my friends, they ARE that powerful and influential in some business.'

Who remembers when the writers guild of America went on strike and effectively stopped all production for a number of months a few years ago? You know what one of the motos was during that month? "Anyone who breaks the strike... you'll never write in this town again!" That 'town' was the entire United States of America. They're that bloody powerful and influential.

Sega probably didn't want to take that risk, especially with their 20th anniversary Sonic title coming up. Nobody here knows the exact reasons why.

In fact all those still saying 'Wow sega you cocks!' and the like, has anyone actually tried to find out what Union Ryan is apart of so we can look into what they've done which got sega so concerned?

ZnqQ5.gif

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 9

Yes, SEGA has every right to refuse to work with Ryan's union. But that doesn't excuse them from the fact that they told Ryan he had the job and then backed out at the last second.

• Thumbs Up 3

People are hatin' because their nostalgia was screwed a little.

Yes, SEGA has every right to refuse to work with Ryan's union. But that doesn't excuse them from the fact that they told Ryan he had the job and then backed out at the last second.

Is that what happened?

Because I was under the impression that he had got the job offer, but he himself backed out, because SEGA told him that he needed to quit his Union in order to get his job.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 2

Welcome to the the real world. Shit like this happens all the time.

Is that what happened?

Because I was under the impression that he had got the job offer, but he himself backed out, because SEGA told him that he needed to quit his Union in order to get his job.

Same here.

Edited by Voyant

I think there's an important thing here. Did they tell him they were using him, or did they give him a contract saying they were using him?

Because if the former, then tough luck. What the casting agents say at the time doesn't mean squat if the circumstances change, and that's not just because VA sucks- it's how it works in any job. If I show my pencil work to a comic book editor and he says "Ooh, yeah I think I got a perfect book for you" but then they hire Rob Liefeld... well I'd be pissed off because it's Liefeld, but I was never actually hired, so they did nothing wrong.

tl;dr: "Ryan, great job! We're totally using you!" =/= "Ryan, great job! As of this moment you are hired, sign this contract."

SEGA told Ryan he had the job... and he refused the offer because it wasn't a good one. Key difference there.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was literally about to quote what Miku Hatsune just wrote and ask if they actually had a bloody clue as to how powerful a union can be and how it can influence what a performer can do. Because looking at some comments still on here and around the place it's quite obvious a lot of people don't.

Because I don't think it is quite as clear as people seem to make this out to be. How many people have ever heard this phrase on the news before...

Yeah your right. I was recently made redundant from my job and some of my colleagues were part of a union which made things quite difficult for my now former employer. The union fault hard to get the best possible deal/redundancy package. So unions can yield quite a lot of weight/hold a lot of cards when trying to get the best possible deals for their members.

If the opportunity came along to join a union, then it is well worth considering as they really do fight your corner.

Edited by NightwingFox

And that makes it right?

I'm not saying it is or isn't...but I'm speaking from a grey perspective here. If you were part of a big company and you found out something that you didn't like about a person at he last minute....would you still hire the person?

Example: Guy maybe all kinds of ace for the job, makes a great interview...and you find out the dude sniffs crack on his free time at the last minute after you told him you had the job.

Would you still give it to him?

You got to think outside the box first before choosing a side and right now I don't feel like I have enough info to choose one.

Edited by Voyant