TheDanimator

Ryan Drummond Almost Returned

So we get told one side of a story and immediately SEGA are hacks, fuckers, bastards, and the spawn of when Satan jerked off in the bathroom while looking at pictures of Napoleon.

Meanwhile you've got some very nice posts in the thread by Hogfather amongst others explaining that "wait guys hold on what if things aren't as clear-cut as--" but nope, GOTTA HATE FAST

(edit: not to mention the irony of finding a person under the monicker "Hatsune Miku" hating SEGA)

Totally agree.

Its like you guys haven't watched an episode of CSI. Plus people are forgetting that Sega is a business...not a crowd of people who feel like making some games.

Some harsh choices are going to be made when you doing something like what SEGA is doing, and honestly... compared to other gaming companies SEGA is no where NEARLY as dickish.

Not liking the hate train hoping in this topic honestly. Not when we just heard one side of a story...

I was literally about to quote what Miku Hatsune just wrote and ask if they actually had a bloody clue as to how powerful a union can be and how it can influence what a performer can do. Because looking at some comments still on here and around the place it's quite obvious a lot of people don't.

Because I don't think it is quite as clear as people seem to make this out to be. How many people have ever heard this phrase on the news before...

"The unions have called for strike action"

In fact yesterday in the UK the teachers union called another strike later in the year (bloody surprise there). Now if Ryan is a member of a Union, then Sega wouldn't really be doing business with him or his agent as much as they'd be doing business with his union. Some other studio starts treating the unions VA's bad, they'll call a strike and Ryan would get pay from his union. Even if the dispute had nothing to do with Sega, Ryan would most likely go along with the unions actions. Yes my friends, they ARE that powerful and influential in some business.'

Who remembers when the writers guild of America went on strike and effectively stopped all production for a number of months a few years ago? You know what one of the motos was during that month? "Anyone who breaks the strike... you'll never write in this town again!" That 'town' was the entire United States of America. They're that bloody powerful and influential.

Sega probably didn't want to take that risk, especially with their 20th anniversary Sonic title coming up. Nobody here knows the exact reasons why.

In fact all those still saying 'Wow sega you cocks!' and the like, has anyone actually tried to find out what Union Ryan is apart of so we can look into what they've done which got sega so concerned?

ZnqQ5.gif

Edited by Voyant

People are hatin' because their nostalgia was screwed a little.

Yes, SEGA has every right to refuse to work with Ryan's union. But that doesn't excuse them from the fact that they told Ryan he had the job and then backed out at the last second.

Is that what happened?

Because I was under the impression that he had got the job offer, but he himself backed out, because SEGA told him that he needed to quit his Union in order to get his job.

Edited by Scar

Yes, SEGA has every right to refuse to work with Ryan's union. But that doesn't excuse them from the fact that they told Ryan he had the job and then backed out at the last second.

Welcome to the the real world. Shit like this happens all the time.

Is that what happened?

Because I was under the impression that he had got the job offer, but he himself backed out, because SEGA told him that he needed to quit his Union in order to get his job.

Same here.

Edited by Voyant

I think there's an important thing here. Did they tell him they were using him, or did they give him a contract saying they were using him?

Because if the former, then tough luck. What the casting agents say at the time doesn't mean squat if the circumstances change, and that's not just because VA sucks- it's how it works in any job. If I show my pencil work to a comic book editor and he says "Ooh, yeah I think I got a perfect book for you" but then they hire Rob Liefeld... well I'd be pissed off because it's Liefeld, but I was never actually hired, so they did nothing wrong.

tl;dr: "Ryan, great job! We're totally using you!" =/= "Ryan, great job! As of this moment you are hired, sign this contract."

SEGA told Ryan he had the job... and he refused the offer because it wasn't a good one. Key difference there.

I was literally about to quote what Miku Hatsune just wrote and ask if they actually had a bloody clue as to how powerful a union can be and how it can influence what a performer can do. Because looking at some comments still on here and around the place it's quite obvious a lot of people don't.

Because I don't think it is quite as clear as people seem to make this out to be. How many people have ever heard this phrase on the news before...

Yeah your right. I was recently made redundant from my job and some of my colleagues were part of a union which made things quite difficult for my now former employer. The union fault hard to get the best possible deal/redundancy package. So unions can yield quite a lot of weight/hold a lot of cards when trying to get the best possible deals for their members.

If the opportunity came along to join a union, then it is well worth considering as they really do fight your corner.

Edited by NightwingFox

And that makes it right?

I'm not saying it is or isn't...but I'm speaking from a grey perspective here. If you were part of a big company and you found out something that you didn't like about a person at he last minute....would you still hire the person?

Example: Guy maybe all kinds of ace for the job, makes a great interview...and you find out the dude sniffs crack on his free time at the last minute after you told him you had the job.

Would you still give it to him?

You got to think outside the box first before choosing a side and right now I don't feel like I have enough info to choose one.

Edited by Voyant

And that makes it right?

Yep. I'm sorry, but it's a simple rule of business. Words mean shit, the only thing that matters is what's on the contract. Which from what we've been told never existed, exactly because it would've implied Ryan leaving union.

SEGA told Ryan he had the job... and he refused the offer because it wasn't a good one. Key difference there.

Someone in SEGA told Ryan he was hired. Then someone presumably up high-er put a restriction, and Ryan was offered the job in exchange of a specific set of conditions he refused. No injustice going around here. People are hating over a sense of "honor" that once the guy at SEGA told him "you're hired" they had to keep their word.

Both of those lines are very cheesy (Rogers even more so).

Mkay. :|

Also, no. Drummond's deliver was cheesier than Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. But that's not why we're here, so whatever.

Edited by Playboy Billionaire Wario

Well, let's assume that Sega's side of the story is indeed as thus: that they're afraid of union action and strikes crippling some of their business actions in dealing with their actors. That's understandable, even if it was still a deal breaker for Ryan. But why would they ask him on top of quitting his union to supposedly avoid any legal hassles to also "do tons of work for no compensation?" The offer that Ryan states he was given does not simply sound as if Sega doesn't want to tangle up with any unions, but that they really just don't like paying their voice actors all that much.

Edited by Nepenthe

So take one gig that he was fired from in the first place, or loose all matter of your primary income.

Gee, that's a tough choice :V

...Your point? Sega didn't "lie" about him not having the job.

Well, let's assume that Sega's side of the story is indeed as thus: that they're afraid of union action and strikes crippling some of their business actions in dealing with their actors. That's understandable, even if it was still a deal breaker for Ryan. But why would they ask him on top of quitting his union to supposedly avoid any legal hassles to also "do tons of work for no compensation?" The offer that Ryan states he was given does not simply sound as if Sega doesn't want to tangle up with any unions, but that they really just don't like paying their voice actors all that much.

There's a good point, but we still don't know the details of the event.

"do tons of work for no compensation", could literally mean anything depending on your perspective. All we have his an interview to go off of.

...Your point? Sega didn't "lie" about him not having the job.

I don't really think anyone's issue is that they "lied"

The problem is that they enjoyed his performance to great extent. Both Sega branches adored it according to what was said in this thread. They spent all that money just talking about the union when they could have spent that money on hiring him. Why go through all of this trouble just to cheap out in the end?

To avoid starting a punch on, this may have just been crap direction, but to me Ryan always sounded a bit sissy to be Sonic. I always pictured him having a more mature 'cool' voice, and boy did Roger deliver. Hell yeah!

There's a good point, but we still don't know the details of the event.

"do tons of work for no compensation", could literally mean anything depending on your perspective. All we have his an interview to go off of.

While the severity of that statement depends on what "tons of work" refers to, which you're right- we don't really know considering our limited sources- I still think it's inherently clear that it means Sega wanted him to do some things for them without paying him anything or very little. Again, it's not bad in and of itself, but on top of asking him to quit the union, the two terms taken together, along with others Ryan alluded to, just don't paint a pretty light in Sega's favor. Had he merely said, "They asked me to quit my union and I couldn't do that because I rely on it. Sucks, but that's how business works" without any further elaboration on other terms of the deal, the defense of Sega's actions as "being wary of powerful unions" would hold far more weight.

SEGA told Ryan he was hired. They knew he was union.

Wat??? :|........

Edited by Nepenthe

I don't really think anyone's issue is that they "lied"

The problem is that they enjoyed his performance to great extent. Both Sega branches adored it according to what was said in this thread. They spent all that money just talking about the union when they could have spent that money on hiring him. Why go through all of this trouble just to cheap out in the end?

What do you mean cheap out?

SEGA loved his performance so they gave him an offer. Ryan refused because he didn't like the conditions. Now aside from the fact that he was told to quit his union, we don't actually know what those conditions were. We probably never will know.

SEGA told Ryan he was hired.

Where was the contract? Did he sign the contract?

They knew he was union.

Yes, so they asked him to leave his union.

They later screwed him over again.

How? They offered him the job with seemingly harsh conditions yes, but he was in no way screwed over? Its not like they had made contractual commitments and then dropped him. Geez.

While the severity of that statement depends on what "tons of work" refers to, which you're right- we don't really know considering our limited sources- I still think it's inherently clear that it means Sega wanted him to do some things for them without paying him anything or very little. Again, it's not bad in and of itself, but on top of asking him to quit the union, the two terms taken together, along with others Ryan alluded to, just don't paint a pretty light in Sega's favor. Had he merely said, "They asked me to quit my union and I couldn't do that because I rely on it. Sucks, but that's how business works" without any further elaboration on other terms of the deal, the defense of Sega's actions as "being wary of powerful unions" would hold far more weight.

No, you're absolutely right about that. I just don't want to jump to conclusions. I know SEGA is rough with their VA's that was pretty clear with Shadow's game, but at the same time the conditions are unclear. A "ton" could mean anything, "no compensation" could either be taken literally or as hyperbole, We don't know.

Edited by Scar

Martin Burke beats all.

Change that to "Junichi Kanemaru" and I'd be in full agreement.

But yeah, Kanemaru beats every single english VA anyway by a combination of raw acting ability, consistency (He's always been Modern Sonic's VA since '98 except for Werehog form, who's voiced by Tomokazu Seki, another damn fine VA) and appropriate tone, something none of the English VA's have in combination IMO.

Edited by Vertekins