Awoo.

Ryan Drummond Almost Returned

TheDanimator

Because the ability to perceive emotion is universal. It's not so much the words as it is the tone that puts across a character's feelings a lot of the time. And it just so happens that Junichi is better at doing this than any other VA. Besides, with the exception of the two Adventure games (Which went out of their way to rewrite script and had commonly bad translation) and Colours' frequently very different script from english, the script is nowhere near different enough to make characters characterizations and lines vastly different or hard to pick up on.

Well, it can be said that emotion is shown mostly through facial expressions and body language. Which by the way, have been rather lacklustre after Unleashed's masterfully animated ones. In my personal opinion, sometimes it feels like Junichi is overacting a little bit (by that I mean over-compensating for the lack of quality animation)

Ryan almost returned? Good thing he didn't! Even Jason sucked less! I'd go as far to say he and the other Dreamcast voice actors helped ruin Sonic the Hedgehog.

Ryan almost returned? Good thing he didn't! Even Jason sucked less! I'd go as far to say he and the other Dreamcast voice actors helped ruin Sonic the Hedgehog.

DO YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU'VE DONE?!

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to hear the full story before making conclusive judgments, but I will say that the story from Ryan's point of view does paint SEGA as rather antagonistic.

There's one big detail that's bothering me, and I'm surprised nobody has brought this up yet. Take a look at what Ryan said about the deal:

Then when the actual offer came to my agent, it was a complete joke. They asked me to leave my union (which is how I make a living), do all kinds of work for no compensation, etc. It was a real slap in the face. I really don’t see it ever happening.

All kinds of work for no compensation, something you never see happening, a complete joke... yikes. This must have been a pretty terrible deal, huh? Good on Ryan for not accepting it, because it's clear that SEGA's scraping the bottom of the barrel and aren't interested in paying a reasonable amount of money for quality actors.

That is, exempting Kyle Hebert, Laura Bailey, Vic Mignogna, Kate Higgins, Troy Baker, Quinton Flynn, Travis Willingham, and of course, Roger Craig Smith, all of whom are quite well-known because of their skill and prominence in the industry.

I can't help but find it odd that Ryan Drummond, whose name is rarely known by anyone who isn't a Sonic fan, thinks he's too good for a deal that all of these voice actors were perfectly happy with.

• Thumbs Up 9

What a magnificent way to start your tenure on SSMB.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 4

We got a troll folks.

I gotta go with Soniman on this one. Emotion is nice, yes, but what good is it if you don't know what the hell they're saying, therefore you don't even know what emotion they're supposed to convey?

An American actor is hit hard in the knee with a plank of wood by a character he is not supposed to be aware of. He steps to the side a little, barely grabs his knee, and stands straight while asking calmly why the person did that.

A Japanese actor is hit hard in the knee with a plank of wood by a character he is not supposed to be aware of. He shouts in pain, grabs his knee, and points fingers at the attacker while talking angrily.

You can clearly understand the American actor, but not a word of the Japanese one. Regardless, who did the better acting job?

I mean, ffs people, while you may not understand all of intricacies of a foreign work without any comprehension of the language, especially without subtitles, like you would an English work, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who's good or appropriate acting. Really, I didn't have to dawn a lab coat to see that Pan's Labyrinth is a better film than Transformers. xP

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not a troll, I'm speaking from my heart. I care about Sonic just as much as the next fan. On the Sega Genesis Sonic was the shit. Then he became a laughingstock. Not only were there stupid characters in Sonic Adventure, there were also goofy as hell voices. That game placed Sonic on a landslide to fail. Only good Sonic games to not fail recently are the Sonic 4 Episodes, which at least slightly capture what Sonic was about. A cool dude with attitude just getting the freaking job done, without any stupid as hell catchphrases.

That is, exempting Kyle Hebert, Laura Bailey, Vic Mignogna, Kate Higgins, Troy Baker, Quinton Flynn, Travis Willingham, and of course, Roger Craig Smith, all of whom are quite well-known because of their skill and prominence in the industry.

I can't help but find it odd that Ryan Drummond, whose name is rarely known by anyone who isn't a Sonic fan, thinks he's too good for a deal that all of these voice actors were perfectly happy with.

I explained earlier - those actors aren't union and thus had different conditions. SEGA is paying them as if they're "bottom of the barrel" actors. It's disgusting not only how they treated Ryan, but also how they're paying Roger and the others.

I explained earlier - those actors aren't union and thus had different conditions. SEGA is paying them as if they're "bottom of the barrel" actors. It's disgusting not only how they treated Ryan, but also how they're paying Roger and the others.

How is it disgusting if they signed the contract and were perfectly happy to take the job? Nobody's forcing them to do it, and I really don't think Laura Bailey was desperate enough for any job to take one with awful conditions.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not a troll, I'm speaking from my heart. I care about Sonic just as much as the next fan.

When you come into a topic like this as a new member and start toting your opinion around as fact, I immediately think troll. It's happened way too many times for me to give the benefit of the doubt anymore. Just cool your jets and show a little more tact. xP

Let's take a closer look at the quote you took from the article:

Then when the actual offer came to my agent, it was a complete joke. They asked me to leave my union (which is how I make a living), do all kinds of work for no compensation, etc. It was a real slap in the face. I really don’t see it ever happening.

Then when the actual offer came to my agent, it was a complete joke. They asked me to leave my union (which is how I make a living),

They asked me to leave my union (which is how I make a living)

(which is how I make a living)

Fucking bastard wanting to make ends meet. Who the fuck does he think he is?

Edit: Did not realize Soniman had used the "zoom in on a quote" effect above me. I feel ninja'd.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 2

>Make an account on Sonic fansite

>First post is saying many fans' fav Sonic voice actor sucked balls and ruined the series

>"I'm totally not trolling guys"

Mmmhmm

Edited by Kiovle
  • Thumbs Up 3

Come on man, really?

That's correct. Sonic's movement may be shit, but so is his movement in every other game as of late. No Sonic games capture the controls anymore, but at least Sonic 4 doesn't have any of the stupid things Adventure introduced. Like voice actors who fail being one thing.

>Make an account on Sonic fansite

>First post is saying many fans' fav Sonic voice actor sucked balls and ruined the series

>"I'm totally not trolling guys"

Mmmhmm

Yeah I'm not trolling. My honest opinion is that Ryan sucked, and therefore I made a valid post. Also in my opinion Sonic games are better off with no dialogue at all.

Grow up peeps, learn to handle the fact that some people have different opinions. You can assume 'troll' if you like and if you have evidence of trolling take it to the staff. If you knacker discussions by accusing people of trolling then you're contributing to the deterioration of the goddamn thread yourself. Try and cool off instead of waiting like snakes to strike at the first sign of contrary fucking points of view.

• Thumbs Up 6

Apologies for my part in that.

Anyway, I think another thing about the union debacle we're forgetting is that, unlike Roger or Jason, it's very likely that Ryan's primary job at this point in his life is not voice work but rather stage and clown/mime work, hence why it might be harder for him to sever union ties than it would be for voice actors who are making a living not being unionized anyway but are nonetheless getting a lot more bigger and substantive roles to make up for whatever terms they accepted from Sega. Remember: Jason and Roger are both regulars on tv shows now: Pokemon and Regular Show respectively. Ryan is.... uhh.

• Thumbs Up 1

I did like Ryan's Sonic when I was younger, and I would have most certainly given him another chance at the blue dude. But, maybe this was for the best. Like it's been said multiple times in this thread, choosing to come back would have probably got him broke and that's no fun. =/ I wish the best to him and I hope some fans don't give Roger junk just because of this.

• Thumbs Up 2