Awoo.

Ryan Drummond Almost Returned

TheDanimator

Wow! I'm suprised to see they considered bringing him back but it sucks that yet again they screwed him over.

Edited by C.J
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'd rather them keep Roger, but that's mostly because I'm sick of the voice actors changing every few games myself, but that's pure dickery. You don't just dash someone's hopes like that again and again.

Also this might re-ignite the VA wars that were mostly dying :/

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 4

I can picture Sega twirling a mustache as they slid their terms of their contract across the table to Ryan.

That helps me not get mad about them bringing him back just so they could treat him like shit a second time.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 6

Wow, I love Roger as Sonic right now, but the way sega treated Ryan was just awful. Almost makes me glad some of the gaming community still looks down on them. Fucking assholes.

• Thumbs Up 4

Although, raises a thought - Roger accepted these terms. Wonder how their situations and outlooks differ as people for that to be the case.

• Thumbs Up 2

The fact that Roger went along with this does make me wonder how he took the whole thing. Did he not seem to even care that he was being handed a job that was going to be someone elses?

• Thumbs Up 1

The fact that Roger went along with this does make me wonder how he took the whole thing. Did he not seem to even care that he was being handed a job that was going to be someone elses?

Or maybe he didn't know? In a recent interview he even explained in great detail how he didn't know he was casting for Sonic. He don't keep close tabs of this fanbase or what's Ryan been going through.

Edited by sonfan1984

Although, raises a thought - Roger accepted these terms. Wonder how their situations and outlooks differ as people for that to be the case.

Roger is not union and what SEGA is paying him what is pretty much coffee and donuts money. This recast was pretty much "best voices that are willing to do our work for pretty much nothing" rather than "best voices" unfortunately. Edited by XD375
  • Thumbs Up 4

Well if you got a job that was meant to be for someone else that you didn't quite get, you'd be over the moon to be honest. It wouldn't necessarily be that you didn't care (hell, I wonder how aware Roger was of Ryan's situation, he may not have been fully aware), but that the job opportunity outweighs it. You don't tend to look these gift horses in the mouth, as it were.

• Thumbs Up 2

Anyone have any thoughts on the whole union thing?

Ive most likely stated my standpoint on this already...

The main reason why I beleive Ryan should come back is because he simply should have never been fired in the first place.

I just think its jacked up to give someone a role like that and take it away without a good reason.

I feel like their reasons for canning Jason were better because a good amount of people in the fan base had a problem with him.

This is all my opinion of course, but I just feel like they should of gave the american versions the same treatment as the japanese ones.

Stick with the same cast.

Even if Ryan were just to voice for adventure 3 or something if it was ever made I think that would be a cool thing to do for him at least.

Oh yeah, not sure if this was a good move, but I did forward this to Roger.

I didnt even state my opinion about it, I just wanted to see if he responds. haha.

Does anyone even actually know how much Roger is paid?

Edited by TheDanimator

Well if you got a job that was meant to be for someone else that you didn't quite get, you'd be over the moon to be honest. It wouldn't necessarily be that you didn't care (hell, I wonder how aware Roger was of Ryan's situation, he may not have been fully aware), but that the job opportunity outweighs it. You don't tend to look these gift horses in the mouth, as it were.

I guess. I personally would have been like Wtf if i got the job?:P Still it was a cold thing on sega's part. If Roger didn't know then Okay I guess.

I guess. I personally would have been like Wtf if i got the job?tongue.png Still it was a cold thing on sega's part. If Roger didn't know then Okay I guess.

I don't know for sure that he didn't know, don't quote that as fact or anything, I'm just guessing :S I can't imagine this being Roger's fault in any way, the blame falls entirely on Sega for making that dick move.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know for sure that he didn't know, don't quote that as fact or anything, I'm just guessing :S I can't imagine this being Roger's fault in any way, the blame falls entirely on Sega for making that dick move.

I never quoted it has fact or blamed it on Roger. Where did I say that?huh.png

I (kind of) really hate to sound like an attention whore, but can someone (Danimator or a mod) add a link to my in the first post so people can easily access the full story?

I never quoted it has fact or blamed it on Roger. Where did I say that?huh.png

Oh that last part was slightly unrelated. And I was saying not to quote it as fact as more of a precautionary measure than anything else. Unless Roger comes forward, we're not really gonna know really anything from his POV.

It does make me wonder though. Roger craig is a really well known voice actor. Up there with Nolan North. So how is it that he was hired for less? I mean with movies, The more famous the person, the more money they are paid. isn't that right?

Oh, and the recast? Yeah, that was partially a response to Save Sonic

This is the most interesting bit to me, especially since the overwhelming consensus online was that Sega didn't give two shits about the SS movement and wouldn't even look at them, much less take their requests into consideration. It's kind of amazing what the company listen to so long as people keep their message loud, clear, and consistent. It was problematic, yes, and in the end we didn't get Ryan, but I suppose they can take this revelation as a bit of a feather in their cap to flaunt. Someone in the company heard them.

Hmm. Maybe I should start a Save Shadow movement then. Because goddammit, I miss Humphrey so badly. One of the best actors in the series outright getting kicked off right before the game wherein he would've had the starring role was the real twisting of the knife for me, not just losing Ryan.

• Thumbs Up 7

Oh yeah, not sure if this was a good move, but I did forward this to Roger.

I didnt even state my opinion about it, I just wanted to see if he responds. haha.

Ugh, I honestly don't want him to read this and make him feels like nobody like him.

I'm pretty sure Roger is mature enough to understand the feelings involved in this whole fiasco given Sega's actions, and that none of this means he has no fans (I mean, it is possible to like more than one actor for the same character. xP) Heck, I'm pretty sure his Facebook wall is filled with adoration from the community regardless.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh man, I hope I didn't sound like I didn't appreciate Roger earlier. The man's Sonic voice is epic, it's just that if I had a choice, I'd go with Ryan, but it'd still be sort of a hard choice to make.

• Thumbs Up 3

You know, assuming that they gave Roger the same sort of deal they gave Ryan, I can't really say SEGA did anything wrong. Apart from being total cheapskates of course, but can you really blame them for that considering their financial situation? Drummond wanted more than they were offering, but Smith was fine with it.

This is probably a pretty unpopular opinion given that I don't really have a problem with the voice actors, and if anything Ryan - judging from his actual performances in the games he was in and not 3rd hand knowledge of how he "killed" in some auditions - is my least favourite voice, but whatever. I just don't think this is worth conjuring up a shitstorm about.

You know, assuming that they gave Roger the same sort of deal they gave Ryan, I can't really say SEGA did anything wrong. Apart from being total cheapskates of course, but can you really blame them for that considering their financial situation? Drummond wanted more than they were offering, but Smith was fine with it.

It's not like they were going to pay him $10/line instead of the $12 he wasn't backing down on or something. He said they wanted him to leave his union- the primary way he gets money- and on top of that, do a ton of additional work for absolutely no compensation at all anyway. That isn't being cheap, that's being ridiculous. And their financial situation aside- parts of it being severely overblown, like the rumor of the entirety of SoE burning to the ground- I'm sure some of the things they can afford annually, like E3, proves an ability to pay a few freelancers a decent wage every couple of years when they needed them.

• Thumbs Up 8

This is probably a pretty unpopular opinion given that I don't really have a problem with the voice actors, and if anything Ryan - judging from his actual performances in the games he was in and not 3rd hand knowledge of how he "killed" in some auditions - is my least favourite voice, but whatever. I just don't think this is worth conjuring up a shitstorm about.

I do wonder about this...

I wonder if Roger was given the same treatment Ryan would have been given...

I feel like Ryans a pretty fair person though, I have this gut feeling that something particularly unfair was done to him that didnt effect

Roger for whatever reason.

Gut feeling though, who knows.

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Edited by TheDanimator

Oh, fuck off SEGA. My favorite Sonic voice returns, does a great job and is totally game and you give him crappy demands? My only hope in him returning is SEGA get's some new higher ups and they decide on an inevitable recast. :(

What amazes me, though, is that Drummond seems to have really liked the role. He's been screwed by SEGA twice, and yet he says he'd return in a heartbeat. Makes me like him even more.

The whole interview is pretty interesting. I like how he decided on the voice for Sonic. I can totally see it. The voice always seemed like the perfect voice for the character and really seemed like what would naturally coe out of his mouth.

• Thumbs Up 6