Awoo.

Ryan Drummond Almost Returned

TheDanimator

photo-466.png?_r=1347143502

Oh, come on XD375! C'mon man! Aren't you breaking enough hearts already?! This avatar is just-

KxvRn.gif

But on the subject of Roger, his quality of acting actually does make it difficult to wish for Ryan's return without any real remorse, especially without any of those audition tapes to listen to; I'd love to hear them for comparison and old time's sake. He completely dominated in Colors and has been good and comfortable in the role ever since that the situation as it is now makes me wring my hands. If Jason were still around, I don't think the choice would be that difficult because he never really clicked with me as a Sonic voice, even as much as I've come to appreciate his later Sonic performances and him as an actor in general (e.g., watch

people. It's quite good).
  • Thumbs Up 4

Ryan's voice was used in the

I actually remember pointing out that those were Ryan's clips being used in that video during the Generations hype, only to be told over and over that it was Jason or something.

weelp, not to rub it in but

i told u so

*shot*

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 7

I actually think some people may've blamed Colours' cheesy writing on Ryan's return, kinda the way people talk about Ryan's Heroes work.

According to Sonic Wikia again, David (Shadow) and Ryan are really close friends. If SEGA rehire Ryan, he would might suggest them to rehire David too, and he probably would do it.

Then, we could have the "Faker!" dialogue perfectly done haha

Edited by Jango

photo-466.png?_r=1347143502

Oh, come on XD375! C'mon man! Aren't you breaking enough hearts already?! This avatar is just-

This really does feel like 2005-2007 all over again..

• Thumbs Up 2

According to Sonic Wikia again, David (Shadow) and Ryan are really close friends. If SEGA re-hire Ryan, he would might suggest them to re-hire David too, and he probaly would do it.

Yeah, they worked together on some live shows I believe, and Ryan was the one who actually recommended David for the role of Shadow in the first place.

According to Sonic Wikia again, David (Shadow) and Ryan are really close friends. If SEGA rehire Ryan, he would might suggest them to rehire David too, and he probably would do it.

Not saying that the information there is all fake, but Sonic Wikia isn't a really reliable source.

I...hesitate to post this, because while it does pertain to the interview, it's not about how Sega screwed over Ryan. :/

So, I saw this point;

There are a lot of things about the VO world that most people don’t know until you experience them. For example, I’ve probably got the question “What’s Corey Bringas like?” (the original voice of Tails), but the truth is, I’ve never met him! That’s the cool/odd thing about studio work. You can have scenes with someone you’ve never actually seen.

It seems to me that knowing each other beforehand helps out in making dialogue between two characters a bit more natural though if you know how the other would potentially act out a role.

For example, if the thing about Ryan and David being friends thing is true, then it would go a way to help the banter between them in SA2, which is pretty important as it was arguably the most important dynamic in the game. An example more in my knowledge field is the close association between Mark Biagi and Bill Corkery, which would help get a business-casual sort of tone in conversation. Emily...doesn't quite have the same thing, though.

Okay, you can get back to the main point of the thread now. wacko.png

I really like Roger but, it's interesting to hear Drummond's re-audition blew SEGA out of the water, and that the voice direction was absolutely terrible in the "Dreamcast era". It's pretty ridiculous how little SEGA is paying these people right now. Roger must be doing it just because he loves the character because, he certainly doesn't have a hard time finding work.

• Thumbs Up 3

I really like Roger but, it's interesting to hear Drummond's re-audition blew SEGA out of the water, and that the voice direction was absolutely terrible in the "Dreamcast era". It's pretty ridiculous how little SEGA is paying these people right now. Roger must be doing it just because he loves the character because, he certainly doesn't have a hard time finding work.

He did say somewhere that he loved the Sonic series. Can't remember the interview though.

I didn't wanna say it... I didn't wanna be one of those guys, but really. Fuck you, SEGA. D:

Really? Because everyone else is doing it. Fuck you, Sega :D

Drummond is really the only voice actor that actually cares about the series. In interviews with the others, they barely-didn't care.

It seems to me that knowing each other beforehand helps out in making dialogue between two characters a bit more natural though if you know how the other would potentially act out a role.

That's an interesting observation, but I don't think any of the actors actually meet in the recording studio to bounce their dialogue off of each other like that. They were probably in single booths and doing their best to just dub over everything, or in the case of the games styled after English lip sync, trying to get a good line as per the instruction of the director. In fact, I wonder how well they even knew the stories while recording. Jason spoke about doing Unleashed at some con and said he was fairly blind as far as the story went or what the context of certain scenes were, and that there were some lines he wished he could've done better once he saw the final product. I don't know if it's changed or anything, as the quality of dialogue and back and forth in Colors would suggest as such, but back then these connections probably helped best with just getting work, and that's where the buck stopped.

Drummond is really the only voice actor that actually cares about the series. In interviews with the others, they barely-didn't care.

Jason seemed to be pretty passionate about playing Sonic. He seemed pretty into it, Same with Roger. Edited by Pepsiman
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes they do care. I don't know where you get that idea that they don't care about what they do at all.

Edited by sonfan1984

It's not that they don't care, just that their so busy with everything they do that they don't remember every single role they get and all the lines they go through. The VA world is like that in general.

Edited by Inferno

I'm pretty sure all 3 actors care about the role. Edited by C.J

That's an interesting observation, but I don't think any of the actors actually meet in the recording studio to bounce their dialogue off of each other like that.

I didn't mean it like that, I just meant that if they knew that they were going to do certain roles, they could roughly imagine the other's acting of response and thus make it a bit more tailored. The rest of your post still counters that, though.

I usually try not to ever get involved with situations of voice acting in video gaming but I do wonder if his Sonic voice even is good after around eight years? Maybe that's why he did not get to be the voice again? Perhaps his voice for Sonic is not good anymore to others and SEGA and that's why someone else got the voice. I would think someone would lose that edge to a voice after years later.

Edited by Vee SA55