TheDanimator

Ryan Drummond Almost Returned

Yes, I know. Essentially, Ryan had the job after auditioning but he had to turn it down due to his personal well-being. I still think this kind of thing is probably very common in the acting business, but whatever. Shit happens.

Yeah, we all know "shit happens." I don't think anyone involved at the end of the day, even the fans, is genuinely surprised that the entertainment business sucks. But I don't think it really says anything about you if you get upset when said shit actually happens to you.

Yeah, we all know "shit happens." I don't think anyone involved at the end of the day, even the fans, is genuinely surprised that the entertainment business sucks. But I don't think it really says anything about you if you get upset when said shit actually happens to you.

I don't know about that; from what I can see, the entertainment business still continues to surprise people, including the fans, even with its repeated and unprecedented flips and turns. When this kind of thing happens to most human beings, of course it's only normal that they'd be disappointed. What else is there to do about it besides move on?

If Ryan ever comes back, he better give out the best damn performance as Sonic ever. After 7 or 8 years since he been replaced, his fans still demands him back and gives the other actors so much crap. Expectations are very high now.

Edited by sonfan1984

Thinking about it, in a strange way, it's probably for the best he didn't get the position.

If you change anything about a character, design, or in this case voice actor, you do it with the intention of trying to appeal and move forward, change for the better.

Can you imagine the fallout had he replaced Jason as Sonics VA again?

Whilst Jason had his critics, and I think a lot were a tad unfair, he was getting better with the role with each game. Can you imagine the message that would send to everybody, not just the fans or Ryan/Jason, but the media too if Sega said 'we've replaced Sonic's voice actor with... his old voice actor!'

It doesn't sound like you're moving the character forward, it sounds like a step back, regardless as to if you 'prefered' the adventure games or not, it just doesn't really sound like a smart move to make.

Perhaps I'm living under a rock, but the gaming media doesn't really seem to give a damn about voice casting to such an extent as to use it as a negative talking point against any company's business plans. I've never read any such coverage about the acting beyond an "oh, look, this interesting guy/gal will be playing this character" or "this acting was really good/terrible." Besides, what ultimate good has Roger's hiring done in the context of fixing Sonic's image when 1) The story and acting of Sonic games continue to be derided and 2) The media still gives the series shit anyway?

I knew about this for a while, but I didn't share it because I was told not to. Forgot who told me, think it was one of the SEGAbits writers who talked to Ryan or a SEGA employee.

This bit made me laugh:

Sega is a huge corporation with zillions of dollars

Sorry, but they don't have THAT much money. lol

You don't suppose they considered using Ryan to do a Classic Sonic voice? Just a thought.

Pretty sure there was a an article that said Jaheel White was the one they wanted for Classic sonic and not Drummond.

If Ryan actually got the role, it perhaps could send the message that Sega will listen to any fans if the demand is high. (and with the recent trend, I wouldn't be surprised)Meaning people would create more petitions for youknowwhat3 probably. Cause hey, If Sega is willing to listen to butthurt crazy fans about VA'S, they sure as hell might as well consider a game.

Not saying it would, but it's a pretty good guess.

Edited by Pepsiman

Just when you think the voice acting wars are dead and gone, this shit happens, things can't be peaceful in this fanbase for a change? And really this basically confirms Sega are just a bunch of hacks, and killed any likability I've had for them.

People keep referring to the voice acting war, but 11 pages in any and all ire has been directed to Sega, not any of the actors in question or their respective fan bases as one would expect. All things considered, it's been pretty civil and even funny at bits, so I see no reason to even bring it up other than irrelevant dooming-and-glooming. xP

While I prefer Jason as the voice of Sonic, I much prefer Ryan's voice over Roger's voice. Nothing against Roger, he's a fine actor but he just doesn't sound like Sonic to me. I honestly don't know why some say that Ryan was terrible in Heroes, I thought that was his best performance in the role, I just wish his voice was more like the tone he used in SA2. Sure, he had some cheesy lines, but I think for some reason people forget that the actors don't write their lines,

I can't believe Ryan was that close to coming back, I'm still not happy that cast has been changed for the 3rd time, but I gotta admit that the thought of having Ryan being the voice of Sonic in Colors and Generations is pretty cool.

I don't understand why Sega would bring an actor in to audition for a role, knowing that they're part of a union if they don't wanna work with union actors, yet alone re-audition... Better yet, ask him to leave his union. Unless Sega didn't know that beforehand but they had have to know from working with Ryan before? Seems kinda stupid for them to go through the entire hassle of the audition process, flying people in from Sega Japan and holding meetings about the situation, and then pretty much give him an ultimatum. Was Ryan's union really asking for that much? but it is Sega we're talking about it. Ryan even blew them away with his audition, I just don't get it.

I'm also not sure if I like how Sega's only willing to pay an actor what's being called "Donuts & Coffee" money (compared to what most people like myself get paid it can't be that horrible), for the star character of their leading franchise. That's kinda cheap if you ask me.

Either way, its a shame how it all went down, I'd love to have Ryan back as Sonic.

Edited by Kamina

https://www.facebook...301088749974458

:V not being a dick or anything

Lol, that's hilarious, sure, from your livestream earlier I learned he was the pizza hut announcer, but man, this just takes it to a new level.

Do you have something against Pizza Hut commericals?

You don't get it do you, sure Ryan had VA work in other high profile videogames, but ummmmm he's the freaking pizza hut announcer.

Lol, that's hilarious, sure, from your livestream earlier I learned he was the pizza hut announcer, but man, this just takes it to a new level.

You don't get it do you, sure Ryan had VA work in other high profile videogames, but ummmmm he's the freaking pizza hut announcer.

Oh my bad not Ryan, I meant Roger Craig Smith.

I know that. It seems like he keep poking fun at him cause he done Pizza Hut ads.

Edited by sonfan1984