Awoo.

Crash Bandicoot: The Thread

Chili Dawg

When I was a kid the rumor was that Spyro was in the game after beating all the ghosts.

I never really cared about Oxide anyway.

I never heard that.

The only link with Spyro (I think) was that some of the Crash B games had Spyro The Dragon demo's and visa versa.

I have a theory on the whole character roster thing lying elsewhere. Won't bother copy/pasting it unless people want it, but basically I think the cut character was Koala Kong.

And yet they brought both Brio and Koala Kong back for Crash Bash, which was done by Euro Games and not Naughty Dog.

Do you remember 'Penta Penguin' (that cute little penguin in the ice levels from Crash B 2)? You could also unlock him in CTR as a playable character. He was the best character. He had perfect top speed, acceleration and top cornering speed.

Edited by NightwingFox

Do you remember 'Penta Penguin' (that cute little penguin in the ice levels from Crash B 2)? You could also unlock him in CTR as a playable character. He was the best character. He had perfect top speed, acceleration and top cornering.

Yes, I do recall Penta. Ergo, he was only perfect stats in the PAL region, as the NTSC region had him as a beginner like Pura and Polar. Also, he wasn't the best character technically; the best characters are Advanced because of a trick which only makes top speed relevant, and Penta's high turning stat actually makes him WORSE because of it.

I never heard that.

The only link with Spyro (I think) was that some of the Crash B games had Spyro The Dragon demo's and visa versa.

I'm pretty sure people only started talking about it a long time after it was released and when Crash and Spyro started to get somewhat related.

Anyway, there where rumors about the dinosaur from Crash 3 and Tawana being in the game. Was any of them even considered?

Anyway, there where rumors about the dinosaur from Crash 3 and Tawana being in the game. Was any of them even considered?

Probably not. As seen earlier with Zembillas' words, Tawna was dropped because of Sony Japan, so ND was probably still catering to them. And the baby T.Rex didn't really have a personality or significant role unlike Pura (Penta was first seen in the Crash Manga, then likely was supposed to be the penguin Dingodile tried to fry in Warped, so he had some background laid out).

Edited by Wally Gator

Only Crash game I played was the DS version of Crash of the Titans. It was OK.

Also played a demo of Twinsanity, and I won't lie, it was funny.

What we talkin about peeps?

Either comments from someone which kinda ruins your childhood perspective or an urban myth about CTR. Take your pick.

I never heard that.

And yet they brought both Brio and Koala Kong back for Crash Bash, which was done by Euro Games and not Naughty Dog.

Do you remember 'Penta Penguin' (that cute little penguin in the ice levels from Crash B 2)? You could also unlock him in CTR as a playable character. He was the best character. He had perfect top speed, acceleration and top cornering speed.

That's very true, they used Brio and Kong on Crash Bash. And yeah, once I've unlocked Penta Penguin, I was like: "who the fuck is this?", that was when I had a flashback from Crash 3. Remember Dingodile's boss fight? He was about to toast a penguin before Crash came in, and I've assumed that that penguin was Penta.

By the way, another thing that I've found weird, when you grab the invincibility mask with Penta, the icon on screen shows Uka-Uka, but when you activates it, it's Aku-Aku! Don't know if that was some glitch, or just means he was good and evil.

Edited by Jango

• 3 weeks later...

So, I decided to play Crash of the Titans after some years and well, it was pretty fun. Why do people make it look so bad? It's not your old school platformer, but a pretty decent mix of platformer/beat 'em up.

Anyway, after playing it the fact that there haven't been any new Crash games for 4 years now (not counting that iOS kart game) made me a bit worried about this series. Isn't there anything new? Not even a hint for a new Crash game? Even if it is in the same style of the Mutant series I would be happy, but killing the franchise like this is pretty depressing.

Edited by Tmsp

Why do people make it look so bad?

Some people are anal about it not being like the classics?

Isn't there anything new? Not even a hint for a new Crash game? Even if it is in the same style of the Mutant series I would be happy, but killing the franchise like this is pretty depressing.

Well, there were...in 2009, but the game(s) associated with the hints were cancelled by Activision, and Radical dissolved. I suppose you've seen the assets for them?

So, I decided to play Crash of the Titans after some years and well, it was pretty fun. Why do people make it look so bad? It's not your old school platformer, but a pretty decent mix of platformer/beat 'em up.

Anyway, after playing it the fact that there haven't been any new Crash games for 4 years now (not counting that iOS kart game) made me a bit worried about this series. Isn't there anything new? Not even a hint for a new Crash game? Even if it is in the same style of the Mutant series I would be happy, but killing the franchise like this is pretty depressing.

I thought the only problem with it is the characters' re-design. I like the first Titans, but the second one I found extremelly boring... But yeah, I don't like the new design, the gameplay is fine. Still prefers the old one for both.

Well, there were...in 2009, but the game(s) associated with the hints were cancelled by Activision, and Radical dissolved. I suppose you've seen the assets for them?

Yes, I did.

That was the last hope for Crash? Pretty sad...

I thought the only problem with it is the characters' re-design. I like the first Titans, but the second one I found extremelly boring... But yeah, I don't like the new design, the gameplay is fine. Still prefers the old one for both.

I don't mind the re-designs, I think that they fit with the exotic settings of the games, you know with all those beaches, volcanos, jungles and tribal things.

I never tried the second one, but my brother is currently playing it on the PSP, it looks boring indeed compared to the first one.

Edited by Tmsp

I think it's because the games have become so wacky, and stupid that they've basically become a parody of themselves, and I heard the gameplay was kinda boring too. Even Naughty Dog expressed their distaste for Crash's direction a few years back.

• 2 months later...

Crash Bandicoot was my childhood smile.png And is still amazingly awesome! 

His first three PS1 titles are among some of the best 3D platformers I've come across and strongly advise anyone who've never played them to give 'em a try, you defo won't be disappointed! 

His first outing was a great introduction into Crash's world, and, considering 3D was all new then, it did a marvellous job with the graphics. I'll admit it is the worst out of the three, however, is still a very enjoyable game nonetheless. It is rather bland in comparison to Crash 3 consisting of mainly jungle themed levels, but despite that, it's still a whole lotta fun.

Crash 2 was a great sequel! And one, I can shamefully say only played for the first time last year. It's rather similar to the first, still with its flaws with the levels being rather bland and repetitive however, it still does have more of a variety, they're great fun, and there's enough to keep you going for months if you're an 100% completest. 

Crash 3, in my opinion, was the best in the series! Loved this game. In my opinion, it's near flawless. It finally gives the Crash series a show of variety in levels, which gives out a great mixture, also various different gameplay styles. Even more than 10 years on I still love the Coco and Pura levels so much biggrin.png The only thing I disliked about this game was the airplane levels. They were so hard x_x 

Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex is another amazing title, and an underrated one at that! I don't see why it gets such low reviews, it's almost on par with Crash 3, in my opinion. Again, the levels give a great sense of variety with addictive gameplay. I also like how in this game they've included again some new features in the gameplay. I am currently playing through it for the first time, so haven't fully seen everything from the game yet~

I'm not going to judge the newer games in the Crash series as I have never played them. However, I am rather reluctant to purchase them as heard a lot of negative reviews about them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
Why, hello there new Crash Bandicoot design!

Are they making a new Crash game? Or was that from the canned one?

Are they making a new Crash game? Or was that from the canned one?

Probably new. This was recently spotted in a new Facebook pic from Vicarious Visions office.

Edited by Tmsp

Probably new.

Please god.......

Crash Bandicoot is one of my favourite series ever, (probably beat Sonic during my ealry teens), the original naughty dog games were pretty much perfect, played well, looked great, brilliant fun.

Wrath of cortex was pretty good too but those loading times..... and Twinsanity had some genuine laugh out loud references to the past games like the skunk complaining about his job of walking back and forth across a path hoping someone would walk into him.

Also, dunno if this has been mentioned or not but Crash is a brilliant character from a design perspective and was created to make the absolute best use of the ps1s limited visuals (similar to how mario was given a moustache and overalls to make the best use of Donkey kong's limited visuals)

202858-crashbandicootscreenshot.jpeg

- He was given bright fur to help him stand out from the background

- An overly large head designed to make use of more facial expressions

- a muzzle and thick eyebrows to make his face clearer

- fingerless gloves to break up his arms and show where his hands and fingers start,

A very smart design

• Thumbs Up 4

Why, hello there new Crash Bandicoot design!
He looks like a mishmash of Mind over Mutant's design and Twinsanity's design.

If the game is like Twinsanity or Crash 3...

Don't fuck this up VV, please.

He looks like a mishmash of Mind over Mutant's design and Twinsanity's design.

Looks more like... Skylanders.

Please no. :X

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

Maybe an artist just thought it'd be cool to have a stylised Crash on the wall to remind them of their older work. 

Looks more like... Skylanders.

Please no. :X

It doesn't look like Skylanders. :U

This actually looks quite nice.