Awoo.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (Nintendo 3DS)

Cola

Here's a quote from someone who's played the demo:

Played the demo some. Here's some observations of what I played.

- You pick your starter by choice, apparently, since that's what the demo had me do

- Models are clearly from Pokedex 3D, but run smoothly and everything at a stable framerate, even with 3D on

- The graphics overall are really nice, outside of the lack of Anti-Aliasing that the Pokedex 3D has, and I see no framerate drops or anything at all

- 3D effect's pretty nice for once, probably the only game I'd say on the 3DS I like it in

- Portraits are clearly stills of the models with edge marking enabled

- You pick your Partner after falling to the ground

- Both only have the five we've known of as choices, sadly

- Models are just as expressive as the sprites, even moreso what with actual facial animations and such on them, as well as animations for things like your partner cheering and dancing when they convince you to help them

- Your partner lets you give them a nickname after the first dungeon

- Dungeons are quite a bit faster paced than Sky, which I was playing literally before I realized this demo came out, but the animations are a bit stiff in dungeons

- Items have unique models in dungeons

- L brings up a quick menu for all your Moves

- Seems to have more out-of-dungeon exploration

- An actual running animation when running in the overworld

- Dimensional Scream seems to be a plot element for some reason again

- Your starting rest spot is two piles of hay and a bonfire in a desert

And that's pretty much all I picked up while playing the demo so far. But it's great from so far.

You can supposedly carry your data from the Demo to the retail game, so at worst, play the demo first, then when it cuts off load in the retail game.

Edited by Son1ctrainer
  • Thumbs Up 1

Welp looks like I'm getting a Pikaxew/Tepawott team (because fuck Snivy) seeing as these seem to be the only starters we're getting. I guess I'll never be able to fulfill my Muncholu dreams in 3D ;3;

Is the demo out only in Japan right now?

Yeah. I don't think the game's been announced for a US or European release yet.

Blegh...don't really like the Gen V starters much...I hope they had a good reason to limit Pokemon choices of all things in a game like this. Everything else seems great tho'.

You actually get to just pick your starter instead of doing a horrible quiz/fingerprint thing that totally doesn't work? Finally.

The limited options kind of suck, but I do at least like all five of them, so... not a total loss? I'll probably go with Axew + Snivy or something. The game looks really good aside from that, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

You actually get to just pick your starter instead of doing a horrible quiz/fingerprint thing that totally doesn't work? Finally.

I liked the quiz. D:

• Thumbs Up 6

I liked the quiz. D:

I liked it too, It was cool seeing which Pokemon you were meant to be, shame that in most cases everyone just searched up a guide to get who they wanted

Edited by Rawrdom

I liked it too, It was cool seeing which Pokemon you were meant to be, shame that in most cases everyone just searched up a guide to gwt who they wanted

I could never decide who I wanted so I usually stuck with my first pick.

Unless it was something ridiculous like Skitty

• 2 weeks later...

Spoiler Time

-It is mentioned that ALL Pokemon you have recruited earn experience, including ones that you do not take to the dungeon. I haven't really recruited anything beyond 4 yet, so I can't confirm this. But it sounds easier to level up all your Pokemon.

-You can't seem to do multiple quests at the same time now, even if they're in the same dungeon. Only one at a time

-There is some known as V-waves, brought upon by Victini's arrival. Basically, the 'weather' changes every day to favour one elemental type. That type has higher attacks, and PPs during that day. You can pay Victini to play its V-wave Roulette to change the type randomly.

-This game takes on a lot of 'Farming game' essence. You can construct your own facilities in the Paradise with Gurdurr's help, and you need to collect items and money (mostly from quests) as ingredients for Gurdurr to build them. These facilities are either berry-growing soil, move power-up gyms and so forth. You can also expand your land in a similar fashion. There seems to be 9 acres of land altogether and each holds like 3 facilities from what I can see. There are many facility options though, so I suppose you don't get to own all of them, just according to your choice, pretty much like the Join Avenue in B2W2.

-Cinccino's store creates specific 'Gifts' that makes Pokemon recruitment easier. These gifts are built upon raw ingredients like Gurdurr's, mostly from Berries and so. Apart from type-specific ones you get from boxes, Cinccino's are Pokemon-specific, like Archen-Gift and Vullaby-Gift. The option to create the gift appears once you have seen that Pokemon in a dungeon.

-The dungeons this time have some 'outdoor areas'. You enter one floor, exit from the top of some cliff, and then enter another floor. In these 'outdoor areas', there may be wild Pokemon walking around too, but you can avoid them simply not by walking directly into them. They will not attack you unless you collide into them.

-Tried out the MagnaGate. As known, you find any circular object that is detectable by the camera and you randomly turn into a Pokemon to start exploration. It doesn't seem to tie to the main plot at all, but the items and cash you earn goes to your main game when you finish the dungeon. You can use the same object to access multiple dungeons. They are rather difficult compared with the main game, and there appears to be a boss Pokemon at the last floor. The only one I came across was a high level Audino. These dungeons you have accessed will be logged and you can access them again later.

We've got some DLC info going for us:

- Ivy Park is the Snivy DLC and is 3 star difficulty

- this gets you the Grass Device and costs 150 Yen

- Oshawott DLC is also 3 Star and takes you to the Ocean Beach

- this is filled with Water-types and gets you the Water device

- this also costs 150 Yen

- Pikachu DLC is Shiny Land

- it gets you the Electric Device and costs 150 Yen

- Training Mountain is a 2 star mission and costs 200 Yen

- It has you hunt for a specific seed, the Communication Seed

- Skill - Treasure DLC is four star difficulty and has you go through thedungeon using Team Skills

- get a chest to open in town

- this also costs 200 Yen

Edited by Cola

• 3 weeks later...

pmd_gti_maindetail.jpg

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity will be released in the US on March 24th.

Edited by Son1ctrainer
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've seen the plot on Bulbapedia... and I think Kyurem's the bad guy (if so, yay!)? He kills Pokémon, that much I know...

And then a giant snowflake tries to imitate what Darkrai should've been (aka his MD2 appearance) and appears the final boss?!

Whaaaa....?

EDIT: Spoiler'd it by request of the guy below me.

Edited by Santa Attaxx

I've seen the plot on Bulbapedia... and I think Kyurem's the bad guy (if so, yay!)? He kills Pokémon, that much I know...

And then a giant snowflake tries to imitate what Darkrai should've been (aka his MD2 appearance) and appears the final boss?!

Whaaaa....?

yep, though you should spoiler tag it

also it only contains like 144 pokemon

what is this StadiumJP?

Whaaaa....?

EDIT: Spoiler'd it by request of the guy below me.

So, was this the first on-screen Pokémon death in any game until now? He just fucking smashed Hydreigon to pieces.

Anyway, whats up with non-Pokémon final bosses? In Super Pokémon Rumble the final boss was a Key and now it is a fucking Snowflake? They have a huge selection of Pokémon and they choose to use a Key and a Snowflake? Really?

I don't know about the quality of the plot, and I really don't want to take any guesses with such limited knowledge. But the last few Mystery Dungeon games were some of my favorite Pokemon games and God be damned if I'm not waiting in line at midnight for it...

Explorers of the Sky came with a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon episode on DVD, hopefully this one follows suit.

• Thumbs Up 2

You sure the snowflake wasn't Cryogonal? If it's not then...fuck. What a waste of a good villain.

tumblr_me07s3Jx7A1qm9e91.png

It's called the Glacial Body and it's way too pointy to be a cryogonal

This is just like Tabuu in SSBB - of all the Nintendo villains they could have used, like Zero Two, or Giygas, or even just Master Hand, they went for a giant blue guy from nowhere.