ChaotixMan

Favorite Sonic Games!

In no particular order:

Sonic 2

Sonic Unleashed 

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Generations

Sonic ASR Transformed.

I find Unleashed really underrated out of the bunch, so many people automatically dislike it for no almost reason.

There is a reason, its called:

God of War in my Sonic? Oh my, they didn't even use another previously established character who is good at fighting.

God of War in my Sonic? Oh my, they didn't even use another previously established character who is good at fighting.

Using Knuckles in Sonic Unleashed would not increase the quality of the gameplay whatsoever outside of character bias, and at the same time, it would also defeat the premise of the game.

Using Knuckles in Sonic Unleashed would not increase the quality of the gameplay whatsoever outside of character bias, and at the same time, it would also defeat the premise of the game.

When I say "not use a previously established character" I mean that SEGA keeps on creating extra characters/transformations that come for one game and leave the next never to be seen again.

Also, while simply just changing the model/animations to be Knuckles wouldn't make the game better, I'm sure that SEGA would take advantages of his strengths and weaknesses to make a more solid gameplay style that fits better with the title of Sonic.(That and his shiny thing radar would make medal hunting a helluvalot easier)

Besides, with any title issues comes the JP title coming in to save us.

Edited by Dom

When I say "not use a previously established character" I mean that SEGA keeps on creating extra characters/transformations that come for one game and leave the next never to be seen again.

Yes, this is true, but at the same time, I'm not too sure one-time appearance characters is too much of a bad thing though. Hyper Sonic served his purpose as an unlockable after getting all 7 Chaos Emeralds and all 7 Super Emeralds, but at the same time he really didn't need to appear again. Same logic applies to things like the Storybook titles, and going from there, same logic applies to Unleashed. Not all characters that are created need to be recurring characters, but at the same time there has to be a balance, and the Werehog doesn't really upset that balance too much.

Also, while simply just changing the model/animations to be Knuckles wouldn't make the game better, I'm sure that SEGA would take advantages of his strengths and weaknesses to make a more solid gameplay style that fits better with the title of Sonic.(That and his shiny thing radar would make medal hunting a helluvalot easier)

I'm going to take this point on two different routes;

Theoretically, couldn't these same modifications to the gameplay be applied to the Werehog as well? In concept, Sonic Team could've designed the levels differently, designed the movesets differently, altogether making a gameplay style that fits better with Sonic. Now, I'm defending the inclusion of the Werehog in the game primarily due to the objective/premise the game lays out for us: "Eggman blows up planet and unleashes Dark Gaia and transforms Sonic into a Werehog. Stop him and Dark Gaia." Modifying the inclusion of the Werehog to different character altogether would essentially change the game to something different. However, at the same time, I'd also like to say that I wouldn't completely be opposed to a Knuckles-like brawler gameplay style, but it wouldn't be logical to replace the Werehog with Knuckles in Unleashed, in part considering what the developers could have done in regards to level design and gameplay, making the possibility of a solid Werehog gameplay viable.

I woke up extremely early and now I'm making a game list posting at 5 in the morning. Why not.

I posted on the second page back in 2009, and felt the need to split my decisions into 2d and 3d games for some reason. I think we were still bitching about 3d games at that point. Damn this thread is old.

I'm gonna do best outta seven because a top five is too short. I will not include Shadow's game this time.

7. Shadow the Sonic and the Secret Rings. You know what the secret is? That this game is good that's what the damn secret is. Stop complaining about speed upgrades. He's slow because you're a noob with motion controls.

6. Sonic Unleashed. I had fun with Unleashed, but there is a balance issue with the length of night stages. Chun-Nan is my top stage for the amount of unique gimmick and platforming going on. Good voice work on this game.

5. Sonic Rush Adventure. Go buy a copy in the $10 bin at Best Buy or something. The only games I'm tempted to speed run are the Rush games. The speed/trick system is exciting. The bosses make this stand out from the first.

4. Sonic Colors. I didn't play this shit. But I feel like it would go here, alright?

4. Sonic 2 8-bit. Best 8-bit Sonic by miles. Only time Tails really gets kidnapped. High amount of gimmick in this game. Railcarts, hang gliders, water skipping, flywheels, zoom tubes. The bosses are hard as hell. You will die.

3. Sonic Generations. I didn't play this either and that makes me a bad fan.

3. Sonic Adventure 2. Speed and treasure stages are still extremely fun to me. When grind rails were still fun to use! Largest story cast where it did not become a complete clusterfuck! Omochao pesters the fuck outta you! Still love it.

2. Sonic CD. Alternate reality Sonic 2. I love that this game gets a lot of praise now because it was not well known in the '90s due to the unpopularity of the Sega CD. Surreal set design, great music. Only downside is no real bosses.

1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It's the height of the 16-bit games. Three characters. So large you need a save feature. Two music themes a level. Lava Reef to Death Egg is my favorite part, it's like an epic downhill to the end of the game.

Sonic heroes

Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Sonic 1

Shadow the Hedgehog

Reasoning?

Sonic heroes - nostalgia

Let's be honest, we all agree that Sonic heroes isn't the best made game in the franchise, but dear lord do I find it SO fun. I can't think of why I do, so I put it down to nostalgia, as it was my first 3D Sonic game.

Sonic 3 & knuckles

Such a great game, and widely recognised as the best Sonic game (or at least the best 2D Sonic game), and for a very good reason. Tonnes of fun and tonnes of exploration, just an all round fantastic game.

Sonic 1

Probably my first game ever, and the game I've seen the most of and played the most of. Just brilliant.

Shadow the hedgehog

Everyone loves Shadow the hedgehog, right? Right? Or course you do, because it's sooooo good. if you don't love Shadow you're a classic Fanboy. Obviously.

I'm kidding don't hurt me. I hate it.

Credit where it's due, at least it had a story. Well, not a good one, but we dont have many games with a full story with plot twists 'n' stuff. I mean, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Unleashed and ShTH are about it. Oh, and 06 (but it may aswell not have).

I dunno. If they did a decent story that'd be nice, but over time, it's clear they can't. So let's not have story thanks.

(Disclaimer - I dont like ShTH, it's there for lulz)

I think the only reason people hate the story of Sonic 06 is because they had to endure the break-badness of the gameplay.

If you go to TheRealSonicFan's Youtube and watch the full cutscene compilation from there, it isn't actually a bad story. Same sort of thing with Unleashed. Great story, but let down by the gameplay [which is good, but collecting a certain amount of medals to progress to the next stage? Are you seriously trying to turn this into a full-on RPG SEGA?]. The story most remember is Adventure 2's, because there was hardly anything blocking it [apart from the treasure hunting stages - maybe].

Colours had a story - we can all agree it was terrible. From the little story we had from Generations [and it could have been so much more]   - we can agree it was terrible. The gameplay for those two was hardly flawed though.

Scrap the good story for better gameplay. Nice.

I think the only reason people hate the story of Sonic 06 is because they had to endure the break-badness of the gameplay.

Nnnope, people hate it because it's pretentous, far too melodramatic, plot-hole ridden, has an uncomfortable, badly written romance, Sonic himself is shoved out of the limelight and is forced into playing cat-and-mouse and only significantly affects the plot when he's DEAD, the actual villain is an overly-complex moron and a TON of other things.

The silly notion of sacrificing a good story for "good" gameplay in lieu of having both aside:

Colours had a story - we can all agree it was terrible.

Sorry, but I simply can't agree with this, especially when coupled with the notion of Sonic 2006 having a good one.

Well, I have to admit the romance was Star Wars Attack of the Clones in a Sonic the Hedgehog shell, and that he deserved more screen time. But then, the experience and way you experience it is everything.

And again, experience is everything, and I've played Colours. While the plot was good, it was mired in things I'd rather overlook. And too many things I'd rather overlook.

Edited by DarkRula

If you go to TheRealSonicFan's Youtube and watch the full cutscene compilation from there, it isn't actually a bad story.

Oh come on, does this really need going over for the Nth time? Does Blaze's placement in the future instead of her altenate dimension, Mephiles not killing Sonic to awaken Iblis right from the moment he's released from the Scepter of Darkness, Tails and Knuckles vanishing in the climax of Sonic's story despite being with him throughout the whole of the final level, and even things such as Wave Ocean being a bad story opening level which just results in Sonic and Tails heading back into Soleanna without doing anything need to be brought up?

It's a bad story that weighs down an already bad game. Saying that as a canon nutcase that loves trying to connect every Sonic game into one big happy canon, and has seen the 'movie' compilation of the game twice just for taking notes.

Edit: Oh, right, guess I should actually contribute to the topic. Uhhh...

Favourite games are both the Megadrive and Game Gear versions of Sonic 1, 3D Blast and Generations. Modern's gameplay in Generations is my all-around favourite gameplay style, I've greatly preffered the platforming, focus on destroying Badniks and exploring nature of 3D Blast to the likes of the Adventure gameplay style (not to mention a great implementation of the Homing Attack as a shield that should have been expanded on more),

My love for GG Sonic 1 mostly extends to it rewarding incredibly careful yet precise playing. The 'score attack' nature of the game, where your score tallies up considerably when you really manage to snag a lot of extra lives, all the Chaos Emeralds hidden in the levels (something I'd love to see used again post-GG Sonic 2), all the Continues from the Bonus Stages, etc... the difficulty really appeals to me, as well. Sonic's really safe cruising nature, considering the rings mechanic, needs to be challenged like this more often in games without the Unleashed gameplay.

Edited by t0ms0nic

I despised '06's story because;

- It was pretentious in it's 'seriousness'. Like Shadow the Hedgehog before it, it's poor attempts at 'maturity' made it look pathetic and 'trying too hard' instead as the writing was nowhere near solid enough to carry it without it looking contrived and stupid.

- It featured a Sonic that had all the personality of a tree and who is shunted sideways out of the limelight by his two co-stars, reduced to an incompetent buutmonkey who fails at practically everything he does. He's utilized as a mere catalyst to further the story along in an extremely ridiculous way. We're supposed to believe that the way Mephiles kills him was believable or a worthy death for Sonic the Hedgehog, a guy who escapes exploding space stations, fights ginormous chaos emerald-powered aggrieved water monsters and gives gravity the finger when leaping from a military helicopter and then gives death the same treatment when he succeeds in teleporting from an escape pod rigged with explosives? This game is called "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG"? "Shadow The Hedgehog 2" more like.

- It's main villain Mephiles has a stupidly overwrought plan that screams of complexity addiction. There's no cleverness to what he does, the writers just saw fit to morph everyone else into complete and utter idiots so they fall right into his insanely badly pulled-off plan. And Mephiles himself is not immune to the logically-bereft scenario's the game's story comes out with.

- The time travel plot included multiple gaping plot holes including the paradox with the Blue Chaos Emerald. Ignoring established continuity for a plot point that could've been written another way without screwing continuity? It's here.

Colours had a story - we can all agree it was terrible.

Missed opportunities, yes. Putting it's tone above other things that need to be considered in the writing of a story, yes. Needless exaggeration of character personalities, yes. But it's certainly not terrible. Colours' cutscenes were quite entertaining to watch and Sonic-Tails Bromance was made of pure awesomeness despite the shortcomings and it's far more competently written than the drivel that's the excuse for '06's plot.

Edited by Vertekins

I don't have a favourite Sonic game.I kinda like all of the hedgehog games (yes, it's COUNTING ShTH, S2K6 and Game Gear games)

Finally someone who gets me (except I don't like sonic labrinth much)

That would be Sonic Colors and Sonic Unleashed. But I like all the games but those two are the ones that will always be in my heart.

I could create any number of excuses as to why I liked 06's story, or even why I'm going to renege that original comment.

But I won't.

I'll just leave it to a single sentence.

"When I watched it, I never paid attention to continuity."

And again, experience is everything, and I've played Colours. While the plot was good, it was mired in things I'd rather overlook. And too many things I'd rather overlook.

Remember the experience thing I mentioned? I've never ever played 06 and never ever want to. Like so many people, I was drawn into the story by... let's just say pretty slick graphics, and wasn't concentrating on anything else. If I went and watched it again, and I will, I'd pay more attention to it instead of playing Minecraft at the same time.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles handsdown as my favorite Sonic game. Followed in no particular order by Sonic CD, Sonic Triple Trouble, Sonic Fighters, Sega Sonic Arcade, the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic Generations.

My favorite of the collections they have done is Sonic Jam too. Needs a mention as it was awesome.

Sonic Adventure was great at the time and I remember playing the hell out of it and getting all the emblems etc, but it has aged rather horribly :(

Unleashed HD is without a doubt my favorite game in the series. Other favorites include Generations HD, Black Knight, S3&K, Colors Wii, Sonic 2, Sonic 1, Sonic Adventure DX, Advance, and CD.

Edited by Special Operative Blaire

A lot of them are good, hard for me to choose, but here are my most played:

- Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

- Sonic Generations

- Sonic Unleashed

- Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed

- Sonic Colors 

- Sonic CD

Edited by DemonShad716

Here are some in no particular order:

SONIC UNLEASHED HD

I love the gameplay for the day stages, and the Werehog can be lots of fun too. The story is great, the game looks gorgeous, and the music is amazing. The only bad things are that the framerate can occasionally drop like a rock, daytime Sonic's platforming controls are a bit stiff, and the night stages can sometimes drag a bit.

SONIC CD

Great gameplay, I love the time travel aspect and being able to save the future. The story, while nothing special in my opinion, introduced two fan-favorite characters, Princess Sal...umm...  Amy Rose and Metal Sonic! The game also had to soundtracks, which are both awesome (I think I prefer the Japanese / European one though) . The game looks great and gives a unique feel to every different time zone.

SONIC ADVENTURE

There are six playable characters, each with their unique gameplay. (Sonic is the best, Tails and Knuckles are great, Gamma is good, Amy is ok, and Big is... tolerable)

I liked the story a lot since it was told from the perspective of the character you were playing as, making for some interesting dialogue. The game hasn't aged very well, but I still like how it looks. The music is incredible.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (1991)

Ah, the game that started it all! While it might have the speed cap for Sonic, this game is still fun, fast-paced action! The levels really reward you for exploring and being able to keep your speed going. The story is not special at all, but it doesn't need to be. The game looks and sounds just magnificent. 

(Sonic 2 and 3, Heroes, Colors, Generations and a few others are also awesome, but I don't want to write this one post for 2 hours.)

If I have to go with games that are perfect in almost every regard and contain the least missteps of any Sonic games...

• Sonic 1( Mainly the Taxman remake): I wasn't that fond of the game beforehand, but Taxman and Stealth really wowed me and made me see the game in a whole new light. Added Spin Dash makes it fun to speed run through, the crisper soundtrack is nice, and it contains probably the best level design of any 2D Sonic game. Also, debug mode and added playable characters are extra goodies that only add on to the fun.
  • Sonic CD(Taxman remake): The enemy placement really sucks at times, and I hate Wacky Workbench with all my heart, but it really feels the most unique of the Classic games, the concept of Time Travel is great although it could have been executed better, two kickass soundtracks, and breathtaking visual design redeem some of its missteps.
  • Sonic Advance: The true Sonic 4, in my mind. It basically takes the Sonic 3 & K formula with playable characters, adds Amy into the mix, and has almost spot-on physics with the Genesis games. It takes us through familiar-yet-fresh level tropes at the same time, and it feels like a damn fine Sonic title that you can play on the go!
  • Sonic Unleashed HD: This one is more of a guilty pleasure for me, mainly because  the bullshit sun and moon medal system, plus Eggmanland almost ruin it for me. Still, its got what's up there with Black Knight as my favorite story in the series, the soundtrack is incredibly diverse, Daytime Sonic is fun to play once you've mastered his levels, and the Werehog gets really fun once you've leveled him up. Also, I love the "photo-surrealism" art style that basically takes the real world and tries to make it fit in the world of Sonic the Hedgehog. It really showed off Sonic Team's ambition, and while it's no where near perfect, the game still holds a special place in my heart.
  • Sonic Generations: This game is damn near perfect, and probably my favorite Sonic game of all time. What can I say that hasn't been said? Both Classic and Modern Sonic are a joy to play as and offer great variety, there's a lot of hidden goodies and unlockables, and it's basically one big love note to the fans of Sonic the Hedgehog. I don't like Planet Wisp, and the final boss can go suck it, but the game is awesomness incarnate aside from that. It officially made me a dedicated fan of Sonic, and I really started getting into the series because of this game.

Sonic 4 and Shadow the Hedgehog are my favorites. Sonic Generations is my favorite 3-d game because of the boosting speed, the music and the bosses. Also I never played Sonic 1,2,3,CD,Adventure before so I got to see what they are like. But, I never played any game that came before Shadow the Hedgehog.

My favorite 2-d game is Sonic 4 2. Sonic 4 2 had intresting gameplay and it was the closest thing I can get to Sonic 1,2,3 (i never played)

Sonic CD: Taxman Remake. Sonic CD is actually one of my favorite games of all time. Allow me to explain:
Back in 2010, I got Sonic Gems Collection and Adventure 2 Battle for my 12th birthday. I played CD first, and even though I think the original is nearly unplayable, back then, I fell in love with it. I loved everything about it. The music, the atmosphere, the time-travel, everything! When I heard that CD was getting a remake, I was going crazy, and seeing gameplay footage of it, I had to get that shit as soon as I can. I can say that the remake blew away my expectations, and made me see what was so bad about the original version. The fixed physics, the choice between both soundtracks, being able to play as Tails... oh, oh... sorry, I'm just... so happy with CD: Taxman remake. Even though CD does have its flaws, I still adore this game, and is one of the greatest games that I've ever played, along with Metroid Prime, Super Mario 64, and Mega Man 3. smile.png

As for the others, my Top 5 is on my profile page, but for those too lazy to look:
2. Sonic 3 and Knuckles

3. Generations HD
4. Sonic 2 (Genesis)

5. Colors (Wii)

Runner ups include: Adventure 1, Advance 1.

Sonic Generations: What can I say? I found this game to be quite enjoyable for what it was. Memorable levels from across the first 20 years of the series; kickass music and the hype for it was like something I personally never seen out of a Sonic game before.

Sonic Rush Adventure: Now this is my 'quintessential handheld Sonic game'. It fixed some of the issues with the first Rush, have a great soundtrack of its own (more, down-to-earth, tropical-like sounds and atmosphere) and quite the replay value.

Sonic Heroes: Yeah I do have a bit of nostalgia for Heroes (it was the first main series game I played after all) but I still find it aesthetically charming even to this day. The visuals and music are the main reasons why I adore this game.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Pretty much had the complete package as far as the 'Classics' go; great music, lovely graphics and all around good game. I'm not as into it as many are here, but I still find it fun. 

Sonic Advance Series: Which each game had its personal flaws I still like all three of them. SAdv3 in particular; I feel it had the best music out of the Advance Series and really worked that soundfont hard. 

Sonic Unleashed: The graphics, music and sense of Sonic's world is still one my favored points of the game. 

Colors DS: I feel its underrated, but nevertheless I had fun playing this game. The Wisps controlled pretty well for the most part, and once you mastered them going through levels are a breeze. 

Sonic Adventure 2 (PSN): Being the first time I actually had the time to play it it grew on me. Yeah the controls can be a bit...off, but I still enjoyed myself playing it.

defend it with tooth and nails since I can remember, even if irrationally. People may think it's my favourite, but... it's not! It's Sonic 1 for Master System. Nostalgia being the main reason, since it was the only Sonic game I played as a child. However, the game is rather good even without the goggles.

I also thoroughly enjoy Sonic 1, 2 and 3&K for Mega Drive/Genesis, Sonic Battle and the Advance series bar Advance 2.

I'm a big fan of sonic, I like of the majority of the Sonic games. but I Talk about the specific games that I like...

-sonic the hedgehog (mega drive & master system)

-sonic the hedgehog 2 (md and taxman version with hidden palace :>...)

-sonic drift

-sonic 3 & knuckles

-sonic adventure

-sonic heroes

edit:some changes In post.