ChaotixMan

Favorite Sonic Games!

my favorite sonic games is just....

-sonic the hedgehog (mega drive & master system)

-sonic the hedgehog 2 (md and taxman version with hidden palace :>...)

-sonic drift

-sonic 3 & knuckles

-sonic adventure

-sonic heroes

I know you are new here kelvinsonic100 (welcome to the SSMB, by the way!), but you need to know that list posts are not permitted as they don't encourage or contribute to discussion here on the forum. In line with mentioning each game you should give at least a reason or two as to why it is one of your favorite Sonic games. I'm not saying write a long drawn-out paragraph every time you make a post but some effort needs to be put in all of your posts with at least a few sentences in them, thanks.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles I look to as the greatest example of excellence in Sonic Games.

S3k_title.png

• Long, full adventure (With a save system to accompany it)
  • Enough Story to keep one engaged and understand progression.  there were even some epic moments.
  • Excellent level design (forgiving challenge, making moment by moment choices, pacing, fun gimmicks, etc.)
  • Facilitated replayability by means of multiple paths
  • Multiple characters with slightly different play styles added replayability rather than eating development resources.  Knuckles even acted as a sort of hard mode.
  • Micro Games like the bonus stages and end level sign posts increased variety and allowed player to alter pacing of the game
  • Chaos emeralds and super emeralds for completionists
  • Catchy Melodious Soundtrack (I didn't even know the genesis soundfont was low quality because all of my games were Sonic games.)

Sonic Adventure 2, while not having all of the terrific qualities of the above, still had a lot going for it.

320px-Sa2_title.png

• Character development
  • Emotional scenes
  • Interesting Lore/Universe
  • Rock'n Music (LIVE AND LEEEEAAAAAAARNNNN!)
  • Action packed levels that are a blast (at least the first few times)
  • Chao.  I swear, these things increased the play time of the game by years.  It wasn't even about the racing sometimes, I just wanted certain Chao.
  • Extra missions for challenge

Those 2 are the top games for me.  If Sonic never has an excellent game again, at least those happened.  My dream though is for the above excellent level design to be merged with the later story and Chao.  I might buy such a game twice on launch day.

Sonic 3: Wonderful music, gameplay is fun, Tails and Sonic play differently. Stages are great and I found the special stages to be much better than Sonic 2.

Sonic & Knuckles: Nice sequel to Sonic 3. Nice conclusion to the Megadrive era

Sonic 3 & Knuckles made the above games more enjoyable, especially since you can play as Super Tails.

Sonic Adventure DX: Sonic's first outing in 3D and it worked well. Each of the characters' stories are different. Amy and Tails had character development. Had a bit of insight of Knuckles' past. While some stages can be frustrating, it's still fun. I also enjoyed the introduction of the Chao Garden.

Sonic Rush: Nice return to the 2D games. Sonic and Blaze are fun to play.

Sonic Adventure 2: Character development, wonderful music. Added the Dark and Hero Chao. Stages are great.

Sonic Colours (DS): Addition of the Wisps made the game more fun. Love the humour as well.

Sonic Generations: Nice anniversary game that celebrated the event.

Well I've beaten the original 4 Genesis sonic games (1,2,3, and S&K), so they're my favorite with sonic 1 at the tip top. After that would be Colors because I don't have generations (which would be in that spot). After that I don't know, mostly cuz I don't have Sonic adventure 1 yet and that may be in the spot after Colors. Also beaten secret rings, riders (zero g), shadow t.h., Unleashed, and colors. (Sonic 1 with all 6 emeralds and no deaths)

The above comment exists. Fact.

My favorite Sonic games are:

Sonic Unleashed - this game is amazing. Sonic play were well and it showed two sides of him. The fighting side and the acrobatic side. During the day, Sonic is really fast and has his boost which makes the game fun along with his other moves. At night, Sonic uses his fighting skills to help him. The story was very easy to follow and fun and the music was great.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 - Sonic 4 Episode 1 was near perfect gameplay but Episode 2 was perfect. It fixed the problems from the last game such as uncurling and loosing momentum when you spindash. Not only that but the newly added character, Tails was more than a follow me character, you can actually use him to help you through the game. He can pick you up and fly to high places making it easy to avoid water pits and go to tops of loops to get those +1 life boxes. Tails can also combine with your spindash make your spindash stronger breaking through those tough metal walls. Also when you are Super Sonic you can break from it by calling Tails to help you. Speaking of Super Sonic, he was easy to control. Most games have uncontrolable Super Sonic but this game, he was faster but you had more control over the gold hedgehog, which also makes this game perfect in gameplay.

Sonic Generations - The gameplay was awesome! Sonic had all his best moves like the homing attack and stomp. Also he could hallf jump. The best part was that his boost was easy to get. You get rings, hit enimies and proform skillfull tricks in the air. Also you would get other moves for Sonic such as the unlimited boost and the ring sheild. In this game was was very much a joy to play as and one of the best modern Sonic gameplays.

Sonic 2006 - It was my first game I own and I still love it. Sonics stages were amazing and fast. I really enjoyed playing as him. I also enjoyed that I could buy gems for his moves like the mach speeds. Mach speed sections, love them. I love the sense of speed I got when I run really fast and these stages fit Sonic. Silver's gameplay, when I first played at him, I was confused but then I grew to love it. It was fun to use the phsycic powers and throw missles and boxes at the robots. I can also throw robots at other robots! I think they could make him a little faster, like Knuckles. He doesnt have to be as fast as Sonic because he doesn't need to run in his future but just a little faster. The puzzle was easy on the second try. I also liked that I can use my powers to move logs and the bosses as him were really fun.I also loved the story.

Favorite 2D/Classic Sonic game: Sonic CD
Favorite 3D/Modern Sonic game: Sonic Generations 
Overall favorite Sonic game: Sonic CD 

Anyways, I love Sonic CD a lot. It has my favorite soundtrack out of all Sonic games, I love the concept of time travel, it introduced two of my favorite characters to the series (Amy Rose and Metal Sonic), and the level designs, while crazy and funky, I enjoy them...a lot. What makes CD really shine compared to the other 2D Sonic titles is the time travel gimmick. You can travel to the past, present, and future of all levels, and all the levels will have different design changes in them. With the many different changes in the levels, it allows for nice exploration throughout all levels just to see what all changed. I kinda like to consider CD to be the 2D version of Adventure since both games seemed to allow me to explore the levels a lot and find new secrets. 

Generations is my favorite 3D Sonic game simply because of how much fun it is. Yeah, the entire game is all about using nostalgia to the max, but it uses it in great ways to give players a fun experience. Many of my favorite levels from different games throughout the series have been re-imagined so I can now take a spin through them as Classic Sonic or Modern Sonic. Even though the story wasn't the strongest part in the game, I feel that the entire gameplay in the end more than made up for the weak story. It's just that one 3D Sonic game that I pretty much don't have any big problems with the gameplay when it comes to enjoying the game from start to finish. (Also, the remixed music in the game are glorious. They're so good to the point where I actually still want to get a physical copy of the soundtrack to add to my growing Sonic collection!)

1: Sonic Adventure 2; First Sonic game I played, and one I will always love

2: Sonic Generations; Amazing gameplay and music.

3: Sonic 3 & Knuckles/Sonic CD: Amazing graphics for 16-bit, incredible music/Time Warp function, Super Peel Out, and overall feel of the game

What's your favorite Sonic game? Mine is Sonic CD, I have several copies of the PC version lying around that I play randomly when reinstalling old 9x PCs. :3

In case you are wondering what happened with your topic, I merged it with an existing one. I know that you are new here Gligar13 but as a friendly reminder, before creating a topic please try using the search function to make sure that a similar topic doesn't exist beforehand. Thanks. Also, in the future when making a topic, more effort and explanation is required in your opening posts. In this instance at the very least you should of mentioned why Sonic CD is your favorite Sonic game and explain what it is that you like about the game.

Every game with Rouge in it...Yes that includes StH and 06.

You are going to have to put more effort in your posts than this. In line with mentioning each game you should give at least a reason or two as to why it is one of your favorite Sonic games or maybe explain what you liked about Rouge in each game at the very least. I'm not saying write a long drawn-out paragraph every time you make a post but some effort needs to be put in all of your posts with at least a few sentences and thoughts in them, thanks.

I'm going to get so many groans from my selections but...

Classic - Sonic 2 - Sonic 2 was my first Sonic game as a kid, I have fond memories of playing it with both my mom and dad, it's the only classic title I still play through with the exception of CD because of how much nostalgia it brings me, it also has my favourite ever Classic level in it, Chemical Plant. Admittedly it's the only Classic game besides CD I've bothered to complete, and it's fun to blast through in under an hour.

Dreamcast-y Era - Sonic Heroes - Sonic Heroes is actually, my most favourite Sonic game ever, it hits all the right notes for me, amazing music, great level variety and design whilst keeping that classic Sonic feel, lengthy levels with vast detail that I am still in awe at when I play it, and an entire vault of voice acting which I still hear new things each time I play it. It also has perhaps the greatest ever final level in terms of atmosphere, Final Fortress and it's music set the stage for what I imagine the final run up to a confident Eggman would be. It also has assy, adventure Sonic and all the old voice actors which I still vastly prefer over the new cast. It was decent in length even without the 4 team padding, just wish the pinball controls were better and the special stages weren't broken.

Spin-off titles - Sonic Riders - It combines pretty much all my favourite things ever, Racing, Sonic and Futurism, the game was incredibly different and fun for it's time, something incredibly new and different for the series that made me love it more when it turned out to be a raw racing experience with legitimate challenge, the air tank system was both a curse and a blessing because it added strategy to an already hard in the paint racing experience, and I still laugh today that people are still finding out you can cancel yourself out of turbulence by spinning.

Sonic and the Black Knight - Easily the best portrayed Sonic has EVER been in a Sonic title, coupled with fantastic music, a captivating story and the most badass super transformation scene in a Sonic game, ever.

At the moment, I would have to say Sonic Adventure 2 is my favorite game. For it's fantastic gameplay, and the time and devotion required to get all 'A's in the missions. Other than that, Sonic Senerations is a pretty close second.

Sonic CD: Great music, amazing replay value, and very advanced for its time. It was so different from the first two games. I love the time traveling, and the US soundtrack never gets boring.

S3&K: This one is tied with CD for the spot of my favourite classic title. The music, the length, the everything. It's so fun. I love the shields they added. I beat it for the first time a couple of days ago and I'm already replaying it. 

Sonic Generations: This game is amazing. I haven't become bored of replaying stages yet, it's so fun. They really put a lot of love into this game and I'm happy to see how well they did the Classic stages. The music is absolutely amazing. I don't think I'll ever get bored of this game.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2: I just can't decide which one I like better.  SA1 has the hub worlds, but then SA2 has many amazing stages to make up for not having it. They both have great music and both of them are what really got me into the Sonic series. Both of these games will always have a spot in my heart. 

As for my favourite spin off title, Sonic Riders and Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. I spent hours playing these games when they came out, and despite the wonky controls and the weird graphics (huge hands..), I really enjoyed them. I also love the music for both games. And in my opinion, the story wasn't that bad. Weird, yes, but... not bad at all.

Favourite game of all time for me would be Sonic CD - amazing music, amazing level design and it still gives me a buzz when I play it. I am also very keen on Sonic 3 and Knuckles - for the same reasons but I think Sonic CD has the edge...

Aw geebs, if I had to pick I'd say...

Sonic Mega Collection: Quite possibly the greatest collection of everything Sonic ever to grace this world, it surpasses it's brother Sonic Gems Collection in most every aspect. This game had all the classic Sonic games that I gave a damn about, including my all time favorite 3&K. The collection sported great music, great art, great ports and held a fantastic arcade-y atmosphere all the way through. When I unlocked 3&K as a little kid it blew my mind, I had the original 3 on genesis but never had Sonic & Knuckles. Me and my brother spent years trying to unlock this things many secrets and used the art gallery as our basis for drawing. I love this game, it's fantastic in its own right.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle: You know, what can I say (I die hard.)? This game had an engaging story and even though it wasn't the most polished game I still loved it. The music was great, especially Metal Harbor, and the rock tone really gave the game a distinct feel from it's competitors. I spent countless hours with my chao, Angle (Yes, like the measurement, angel is a hard word to spell.) and we kicked chao ass in Chao-Karate. This game was great, I really felt for the characters (Tails accidentally telling Eggman that the emerald is a fake leads to Sonic's alleged death, I really felt for poor Tails.) and I think the fact that they occasionally talked over one another, due to bad translating no doubt, added to the experience. I wouldn't sit on my ass and listen to someone give me shit, I'd talk over 'em.

Sonic UnleasHD: This was the last Sonic game I played that I felt had any real effort put into it. It was lengthy and had a fantastic climax, the Eggman-Land level really tested your skills as both Sonics and it felt like you had really improved and made progress, this is where forces collide and what better way to do that then to truly test the player's skill. The fact that you alternate between both Sonics without a loading screen really blends well with the story, Sonic is coming to terms that the curse was a part of him and the gameplays are merged in one awesome fucking finale. Really this is probably the best Modern Sonic game there is, I would love to see them top this.

In no particular order (and excluding collections, like Mega Collection):

-S3&K for it's length, ability to save the game, MUSIC, and unique playable characters. Also, for having the best special stages of any classic Sonic game

-Sonic CD Taxman Remake for fixing the shitty spindash, fantastic soundtrack (JP being my favorite), and all around replayability. If I want to quickly pick up a Sonic game to play for a bit, I'll go to CD.

-Sonic Generations for its incredible remixes, crazy fun gameplay on both fronts, and for the most part, genius level design. To me, it remains the best Sonic game to come out post-dark-age.

Honorable mentions: Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic Unleashed

Classic Games-It's neck and neck between Sonic 1(Taxman remake) and Sonic CD (Taxman remake). Sonic 1 has got the best learning curve of the Genesis titles, offers a fair challenge, and has my favorite level design of the classic trilogy. Added Spin Dash and Tails+Knuckles added as playable characters make me appreciate this game so much more, it's really grown on me. Sonic CD is on par with it for me, but for different reasons: two kickass soundtracks only add to the fun (I still don't know if I like the US or JP version more), the art style and visual look of the stages gives the game a unique personality and identity, and I really like how time travel was conceived for this game, although it could have been executed better. CD just seems to have a lot of replay value to me, you can play the game any way you want, whether it be playing with a different soundtrack, going for the time stones, heading after the robot generators, speed running, or even playing as Tails.

3D Sonic: Sonic Generations, no question. Take the enjoyable boost gameplay, a relatively faithful Classic Sonic, past levels with exciting new level designs (for the most part), and oodles of fan service packed into one game, it's no wonder this game is my favorite (Time Eater can suck a dick though).

Handheld: Sonic Advance felt like the true Sonic 4 for me. With Genesis physics that made me feel comfortable playing it, fresh takes on familar level tropes, and adding Amy (hard mode, basically), into the mix, Advance feels like a natural progression of Sonic 3 & K I can pick up and enjoy any time on the go.

I'll post my favourite games too. Please note there are some titles you hate, so read for your own risk.

• Sonic 3andK
  • Sonic Blast
  • Sonic R
  • Sonic Pocket Adventure
  • Sonic Adventure DX
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • Sonic Battle
  • Sonic Heroes
  • Sonic Rush
  • Shadow TH
  • Sonic Rivals
  • Sonic Rush Adventure
  • Sonic Generations
  • Sonic Runners

•Sonic 3 & KnucklesMy masterpiece, I believe. Epic plot, progression of the settings... -um yeah, I just think is the ultimate Sonic game, dealing with a determinator Eggman (since Sonic 2?), Death Egg, etc. Introducing the badass Knuckles, giving more meaning to the Emeralds... Soundtrack doesn't stand back at all, lovely zones. Again, epic in its own existence: "lock-on techonoly?? how badass!! ..how long! many things to do!", etc. It's my favourite game

•Sonic HeroesIt kinda has to do iwth the nostalgia factor. It was my first "big" Sonic game. So, it's a very special game to me, a jewel in my history. As cheesy as it is, it shows the adorable team work posibilities, a.k.a. "power of friendship". It makes me feel like a kid. I remember I went many times to the sound section to listen to "Follow Me" (hehe awkwardly singing it while my father entenred my room, he was behind me, I had earphones xD) , "We Can", even dreaming to get "Sonic Heroes" tune, I think it wasn't on the "sound test".... you had to beat Super Hard to get to listen it in its fullest... and yes, I did that plenty of times, that reward was gold xD.

Anyway, yeah, it is in my heart. The game I miss the most, true

•Sonic Adventure: Kinda like a mix of the two games above to me.

Nostalgic: Way back I've used to play many Sonic fangames (I owned a CD called "Sonic Gold", with many fangames on it). Many characters, sound, sprites style, music, leves, ideas, etc from these games were taken from Sonic Adventure... Years later, getting to play the actual legitime source was heavenly. You know, continously humming, smiling, pointing "oh, look! the famous Egg Carrier!"

Development/story: what can I say? I just like it. It introduced a revelant Amy... a lazy and loving Big cat, wich I personally enjoy his "friendship and joyful" vision... and Gamma, dang that robot, as development sense goes, he's totally my favourite. You could explore the world a little more, go to the Floating Island, watching Metal Sonic while asking yourself "wow, it's him! why???" aswell as the other black robot... And the cliche things we like about mystical beings, ancients civilizations, etc

Music: I think it's perfect. General concept. So diverse and full of charm... Yeah, totally

...and... well, gotta name, special mention, Tails Adventure, now that we are talking about favourite games. I find it pretty lovely, and that's it. Tails is lovely, his little robot is lovely, the idea of kicking out baddies just by himself is pretty badass, and adorable, in a 8-bit little birds style (?

:P

Sonic Adventure

Game has many flaws but stuff that is good is just too good to really care about those bad parts. Sonics gameplay is probably best in the 3D-games. Tails gameplay is not only my favourite in the game, it's my favourite gameplaystyle in the whole Sonic franchaise. Knuckles isn't as fun as those two but I still enjoy it muh because of great controls and well constructed levels. Gamma is fine although I don't really have desire to play it again. Amy is quite boring but something I can tolerate. And Big, well at least it takes only about 30 minutes to clear his story. And those two stories are worth playing because final boss is great. Visually game looks nice but presentation is bad. Music is great even with Sonic-standards.

Just don't talk about Steam-port. I hate it so much.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

This game is often considered to be the best of the whole series and I can really see why. All three characters are awesome to play and if there is something that has to come back to the series are Super Emeralds, hyper forms are one of the best things in the whole franchaise. I don't really know what else to say because I would only repeat what many others have said in this thread. I prefer SA1 only because is I like 3D more than 2D.

Sonic Generations

First Sonic game I really played and which got me hooked to the franchaise. Gameplay is just great and boosting through levels is just so much fun. 2D levels are also much fun even if I prefer Modern Sonic levels (I just hope they would have been in full 3D) because I found their desing better. Again visuals and music are fantastic even if they are taken from the old games. Only minuses really are game's really short lenght and final boss which is to me worst final boss in 3D Sonic (or maybe Devil Doom has taken that spot) and the fact that I prefer Adventure-style gameplay.

Those are my top three Sonic games.

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 has got to be one of my favorite Sonic games. Even though certain portions of it can be tedious, I just...love it. In fact, I actually really, really like Marble Zone, even though it can be annoying. And I dunno, for some reason I actually kind of like not being able to just blast through the levels. I've never finished it (well, I almost never finish video games anyway), but it feels so rewarding to get better at it every time. I also actually think the lack of spin dash makes things rather interesting, as you have to work harder with the momentum and spin attack to achieve the same result. I also really love the Special Stages and consider them my favorites in the series by far; in fact, I usually find Special Stages annoying, but I find the Sonic 1 ones enjoyable, perhaps because they're more forgiving and relaxing. I also like the way you access them. Also, while this is a minor point, I really like the fact that the same badniks recur in different zones. It just creates a nice sense of continuity. And while the music is for the most part a bit underwhelming for a Sonic game, I really love the boss/Dr. Eggman theme.

Of course, Sonic 1 can sometimes feel a bit tedious, which is where Sonic the Hedgehog 2 comes in. You can go fast a lot more often and it's much less prone to being frustrating, and sometimes that's just what I need. The zones' visual designs are also far better and more interesting. Plus, it's awesome having Tails following you around! He's just so adorable. When he does something nice like destroy a badnik, I often find myself audibly thanking him xD The main disadvantage is that I totally hate the Special Stages and how you access them, and the fact that it's so long with no save feature (not that I finished it anyway, but whatever).