Awoo.

Sonic Underground

Soniman

I think Knuckles was voiced by Ian James Corlett in this series. His voice didn't mesh with what Knuckles should've sounded like at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ehh...I really didn't like the show, the animation seemed quite out of place, Eggman didn't really do much as a villian, Sleet and Dingo didn't have much charm, the voice acting and characterization was poor. I will say I liked the opening song and Manic but apart from that I couldn't really get into it, I'd rather watch the other shows instead.

Edited by Red Wisp

coveryourears.jpg

I feel your pain, guys. Every time they burst into song I had to do the same, so I actually decided to tape later episodes just so I could fast-forward these awful moments. Eventually I got bored of that and stopped watching shortly before Knuckles' second appearance.

Take SatAM. Remove any value that show might have had (and even the staunchest of haters will admit that it had some). Add THE POWER OF ROCK and ORIGINAL CHARACTERS, DO NOT STEAL before it was popular to make them. Launch this cocktail of shit after Sonic Adventure has already come out, because why not? It might as well be anachronistic as well.

Shit, I thought it was older than that. I'm surprised I endured it for as long as I did.

Edited by Pawn

This show sucked balls. Say what you want about SatAM, but for the love of god, this show took SatAM's concepts and destroyed them. Nothing about this show is good except the opening. At least Sonic X had SOME decent moments.

Ew, Sonic Underground. I hate, hate, HATE THIS SHOW!!!

When it comes to all things Sonic, Sonic Underground is the only thing that I hate (aside for Shadow the Hedgehog-the video game). I only managed to watch like 2 episodes of the cartoon, doing so with much regret. It was absolutely awful. Now it would be very unlike me not to explain myself, so I am going to explain why I have so much disdain for this cartoon.

The cartoon didn't feel like a Sonic cartoon to me. Some of the pieces of the plot seem to come out of nowhere and are unfitting in regards to Sonic such as him being a prince, having a brother and sister, and being part of a band. And Dr. Robotnik having Sleet and Dingo as his minions just didn't appear to bring that charm and humor that Scratch & Grounder, Decoe & Bocoe, and Cubot & Orbot brought to the table, aside from not being robots even. And the singing was downright atrocious. The show really failed to capture my attention with its silly plot and cast of uninteresting characters that were portrayed rather poorly. I hated Sonia the most as she was a spoiled brat and simply annoying.

I've complained about this several times before, but the absence of Tails in the cartoon was what I hated the most about Sonic Underground. Tails not being in the show was why I was so throughly irritated and disgusted with Sonic Underground. I was trying to figure out how in the world could a Sonic cartoon exist without Tails? Because with the exception of Sonic 1 and Sonic 4 Episode 1 (if I am forgetting any other game excuse me as nothing else is coming to mind) Tails has pretty much been present in every Sonic game to some degree, along with being present in the 3 other Sonic cartoons and the OVA as well. My point being with Tails as Sonic's best friend one would expect him to be there whenever and wherever Sonic is. Sonic and Tails are usually together, whether it's in the games or other forms of media. So not having Tails there made absolutely no sense to me. Sonic Underground being the exception to that with Tails not being present was surprising, unexpected and extremely disappointing. How DiC was able to get away with making such an omission in the cartoon is beyond me.

Again it wouldn't be like me if I didn't mention something positive. As much as I hate this show, there is a positive thing or two to mention. *Thinks long and hard to back that statement up...* Okay, the cartoon did give us Knuckles and his character was okay in Sonic Underground. And I did kinda of like Manic...and props to Jaleel White for not only voicing Sonic, but Sonia and Manic as well. The concept of voicing 3 characters in 1 show was pretty impressive (it wasn't the best voice acting there but still, I commend White for doing so); not to mention we got to hear him voice Sonic one last time.

That's honestly all I can think of on a positive note towards the worst Sonic cartoon out there. I can't even tolerate it as the negatives strongly outweigh the positives. This will probably be the only Sonic cartoon that I won't be picking up on DVD ever because I absolutely can't stand it. Simply put, it sucks.

Edited by Sonikku_Kiah
  • Thumbs Up 4

I watched an episode where they traveled to an alternate universe where all 3 of them were rich snobs and Robotnik led the resistance.

Robotnik's good counterpart looked pretty much the same except with a mohawk.

I thought it was funny that instead of something like Evil Sonic or Scourge from Archie, Sonic's evil twin was an fatter version of Sonic. Even his statue was fat.

Oh hey that brings me to another issue with Sonic Underground.

What the fuck was up with the character designs? It's like they didn't even try to be consistent or make it match the general feel of Sonic. Things like bug people or aliens look so fucking weird when placed next to Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

We're all forgetting about the best character in this show.

Hooter

hooter.png

What the fuck is that.

It's Sonic Underground as you truly imagined it... from the nightmares of Ed Wood.

... What the heck kind of creature is this abomination supposed to be?

Damn it. It's HOOTER!

Funny story: I only watched maybe... 4 episodes of Sonic Underground when it was on the Sci Fi morning kids block (it was on before the Jumanji cartoon). This was... 8 years ago. Probably more. And Hooter is one of the only things I remember from it.

Edited by Tornado

One cannot grasp the true form of Hooter.

"SONIC SONIC SONIC SONIC SONIC SONIC SONIC SONIC SONIC SONIC"

The artists kept praying.

• Thumbs Up 3

Im fucking dying right now.

Sorry guys.

It's Hooter. He got him.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 1

I thought it was funny that instead of something like Evil Sonic or Scourge from Archie, Sonic's evil twin was an fatter version of Sonic. Even his statue was fat.

He even had man-Hedgehog boobs!

358bfo4.png

What the hell DiC?

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 7

He even had man-Hedgehog breasts!

358bfo4.png

What the hell DiC?

Knuckles: Have you gained weight?

I think they made Classic sonic too....Classic.tongue.png

Edited by Pepsiman
  • Thumbs Up 3

Alternate!Sonic is evil because of his man-boobs, which made him angry.

But who gave him the man-boobs? HOOTER.

Hooter confirmed as diabolical mastermind and shadow puppeteer.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Where the FUCK was Tails?

He and Allen Klein, Sonic's band's manager, didn't see eye to eye, so he never signed with him, unlike the other three. It just wasn't the same without their previous manager, Brian Ivo Epstnick

Seriously though, I know absolutely nothing about this show

Edited by Mr.Snarf

I barely knew anything about it either, to be honest.

It wasn't until two years ago that I found out it was at the time of Adventure 1. I was... kind of shocked by that when I found out.

It must be the sinister time powers of Hooter at work. (I'm sorry, but now I'm contractually obligated to mention Hooter in every post on this thread. YOU'VE TORN ME APART, STEVE-A.)

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Hahaha! I came to ask about Sonic Underground because I had never watched it before. Grew up on SatAM with some Aosth early in the morning before school.

Coming to this thread was amazingly entertaining. Now I know now to bother with Sonic Underground.

I'm going to go against everyone and say I like Underground. It's a spiritual successor to SatAM but it has it's own merits too.

Like despite its premise it has a bunch of little things that tie it to the franchise like how its the only Sonic TV show (not counting OVA cos it was direct to video) that got the number of Sonic's spines correct. Or the fact that Sonic in this show is afraid of water, similar to Sonic X.

Also in previous Sonic cartoons, Sonic rarely directly attacked robots, he would usually go some roubdabout way to defeating them like luring them into traps or water. In Underground Sonic and Sonia just straight up spun into them.

Plus it brought in Knuckles and the whole Chaos Emerald mythology, also bringing in the character Althair from the comics. That and Dingo's transformation at the end of the Chaos Emerald storyline is a lot like that of Chaos'. But there was a lot of stuff like that for example the robot ART bares similarities with Gamma.

As for the absence of Tails, it disappointing but I'd rather have him not around if they don't have a place for him then hanging around as a shallow relic of himself and writers not even remembering he can fly like in SatAM.

Sonic's personality in this is like a toned down version of his SatAM personality which I think is good cos SatAM Sonic could get too obnoxious at times. This Sonic is reckless and cocky but he does show himself as responsible and heroic at times bringing to mind his Adventure characterisation.

Manic was basically Michelangelo as a hedgehog so that's cool, he's my favourite turtle. I didn't like Sonia as much but it was nice to see that they could make a character who's simultaneously prissy and strong. It was a habit of cartoons in the 90s to make all the feminine characters damsels and the tomboy characters the strong ones, like feminine characters can't be strong.

I've heard people say these characters have no connection but I thought the sibling thing was done well. You do get a sense of connection in moments like when Sonia and Manic are jealous of Sonic's speed or when Sonia is upset about seeing her mum or the way Sonia and Sonic look after Manic, trying to keep him from stealing.

Oh and whilst the main cast may not develop very much one thing I was surprised about was the development of the character Bartleby. It happened so subtly I didn't realise it happening at first but the way he changes from a pompous jerk who supports Robotnik and hates Sonic to realising the perils of Robotnik's reign and respecting Sonic is done quite well.

That's part of what I like about the show, the way it shows the sort of society that emerges from Robotnik's reign. Focus is given to the social effects, how there's this huge divide between the poor and the rich and how some areas support Robotnik to prevent their homes from being attacked.

The premise isn't even that weird. The rock band thing has a ton of precedent and the royalty plot is just taking the backstory of SatAM and applying it to the main character rather than giving that significance to a supporting character. Plus a guitar that shoots lasers is just plain cool.

It has its flaws, Robotnik is a boring villain without Jim Cummings to voice him. Songs are terrible but if you listen to them enough they get stuck in your head:

You've got to face your fear to overcome it, do do do diddly do do do

Don't keep your head in the sand or run from it, do do do diddly do do do

Show what you're afraid of,

EXACTLY what you're made of!

Just take a great big breath and face your feeaaar!

• Thumbs Up 4