Pictures of the Doc I really like:

EggmanSoni%26KCollection.png

Robotnik in AOSTH was just a really simple, cool and funny design:

Robotnik-003.png

The SatAM version is more scarey and badass:

Dr-Robotnik-Sonic-SatAm.jpg

Edited by NightwingFox

King-Shahryar_(Eggman).png

King Shahryar - Sonic and the Secret Rings (2007)

Robotnik.jpg

Robotnik - Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog

dr__robotnik___sonic_underground_by_dreamman001-d4gtw5p.jpg

Doctor Robotnik - Sonic Underground/SatAM/Sonic Archie #1-#50

I'm meh on these designs really. Too shoddy and Americanized :L Shahryar looks interesting though...

I actually don't mind Eggman's design in '06 *ducks*

I get what they were trying to do and yes they failed miserably but it's really not as bad as everybody claims.

Eggman has probably the best design of the whole series in my opinion, in both his classic and modern styles. He's just a great piece of character design. I'm currently working on developing an iphone app with a megadrivey (new word) feel to it and trying to create a recognisable mad scientist character that has fairly cliched character traits but without a cliched look is a tricky line to walk. It's one that eggman does flawlessly.

Also, in the pjs concept, he's not wearing sonic's shoes. Those are slippers with a white furry trim :)

This pleases me.

Right, so my all-time favourite is probably the most recent design, basically perfecting the Post-Adventure style (not that there was any notable problems with it to begin with apart from being a little too cluttered up). But I still cherish the old classic design too, although I could never really get used to the little cape. (Because I was even more of an idiot, back in my first few years with Sonic, I thought that was just a part of his suit.)

However, one thing I will never understand about the infamous SatAM design... how is this supposed to be scary? I've heard many a SatAM fan (and even non-SatAM fans) say this from time to time, that he looks "threatening" and "badass"... but he looks like the token evil teammate of the Village People, with his oversized shoulder pads, yellow cape (I know it's a prominent Eggman colour, but still, yellow? The colour that reminds me of super hedgehogs, similar mad scientists with letters on their foreheads, and best ponies?), and black and red robot eyes, which in my opinion are trying too hard and make him look all the more ridiculous.

Okay, Game Robotnik may not be a Giygas abomination either, but I actually think he's more legitimately creepier looking, with his contradictory lanky-yet-chubby appearance, beak-like nose and sunglasses that hide his eyes. He may look ridiculous, but then again, so does SatAM Robotnik.

For the record, if there's one thing - one thing - I can thank 06's Young Ivo-Cosplaying Gerald for, it's the revelation that he has normal blue eyes rather than the cliche robot red eyes like in so many adaptations. It reminds us that he's still a human being... and thus, makes his many crimes all the more heinous. Plus I have blue eyes too, so y'know, bias and favoritism and all that.

Oh yeah, and I don't know what the fuck is up with the King design in Free Riders. I actually liked the concept of Ivo disguised as a king, but that design's a little too strange and SatAM-worthy in the YMCA department for my tastes.

-The suave sunglasses and serious expression make him appear as smart and dignified, contrasting how ridiculous he actually is...

I always liked that touch. Some artwork shows him grinning like a maniac, others show him being devoid and blank. Even with more prominent human characters and NPCs in later games, I always thought of Robotnik as a sort-of animal boogeyman, so I thought it worked wonders for him despite being just a guy in a clown suit (or later on, a military suit).

• Thumbs Up 4

Doctor Eggman - Sonic Riders

Robotnik_Riders.png

-Pilot outfit, complete with red jacket

-Badass scarf

-Man, Eggman suits a helmet...

Then... they ruined one of the best designs the series had.

I really liked this design. It completely fit the game, to me. Everyone in Sonic Riders is depicted in this "X-TREME" art style and Eggman made the transition better than anybody else. Instead of looking like a complete tool he's actually appropriately dressed for the occasion.

And he looks quite dapper.

My favorite designs are the current Eggman and the Japanese one. Props to the AoSTH Robotnik, though, for managing to capture the goofy nature of the character, even if they did it in an entirely different way.

robotnikmodel1new.jpeg

robotnikmodel2.jpeg

Edited by Solly

On the contrary, I actually really liked this design. It completely fit the game, to me. Everyone in Sonic Riders is depicted in this "X-TREME" art style and Eggman made the transition better than anybody else. Instead of looking like a complete tool he's actually appropriately dressed for the occasion.

I think he meant that sentence as in the one he was about to talk about - that being the 06 design which is very definitely terrible. Hence the "Then they ruined one of the best designs..."

Yes, Riders Robotnik is very good. The Riders designs could range from great to faux-edgy, but as usual, Ivo trumps them all.

Oh yeah, and while he may be my favourite design-wise, I still respect AoStH Robotnik too, if only because of Milton Knight's rather meticulous planning of details.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 1

On the contrary, I actually really liked this design. It completely fit the game, to me. Everyone in Sonic Riders is depicted in this "X-TREME" art style and Eggman made the transition better than anybody else. Instead of looking like a complete tool he's actually appropriately dressed for the occasion.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the 06 version. ;)
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the 06 version. wink.png

I think he meant that sentence as in the one he was about to talk about - that being the 06 design which is very definitely terrible. Hence the "Then they ruined one of the best designs..."

Whoops, looks like I'm daft and blind and my eyes don't work.

I edited my first post to reflect this.

Yeah, the 06 design was pretty insanely awful. I still have no idea what those gold buttons are on his suit. They look so absurd.

Edited by Solly

While I can't find a good photo, in the OVA Dr. Eggman's eyes weren't possible to see, but if he was surprised/excited/*extreme emotion* they would pop up out of his head! It looked really good and cartoony, and I hope they incorporate it into his game self some day... tongue.png

Edited by Gordon the Big Engine

Here you go.

2i6e914.png

...WHY COULDN'T I FI--hey cool!

Yes, that! I like that in my Eggman design, reminding you he's still a human but maintaining a cartoony way about it!

I'd like to say I devised a cunning way to find it, but actually I just searched on Google Images and used the first one I could find.

Ho ho ho.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Eggman really does have a good design (both classic and modern). His design from 2008 to now is definitely my favourite, he's in perfect shape here, I like the length of his mostauche and he looks even more cunning. I also like his design from Sonic Riders, SA2 and his classic (Japan) design from 1991-1999, it made him look very smart. My least favourite was probably the king design in Free Riders, it looked a bit odd.

I really like this one!

Unleashed_eggman.png

Edited by Red Wisp

Classic Robotnik and SA/Unleashed Eggman designs are definitely the best designs. Although I do love me the AoSTH design too, probably because of how it perfectly represents the personality and ego of that Robotnik. tongue.png

I also think the Riders one is pretty cool too, while the SatAM design screams "Generic Evil Villian" flavor...at least the diet version, anyway. :v

Edited by Grunkle Grouch

The SatAM version is more scarey and badass:

Dr-Robotnik-Sonic-SatAm.jpg

This incarnation of Doc is a testament to the 90's cartoon villian. Sniviling lacky, glowing eyes, unusual limbs, an intimidating pet. I do not miss those days I tell you what.

• Thumbs Up 7

He might as well have smoked ten packs a day and said "I'll get you next time, Sonic! NEXT TIME!" at the end of every episode.

• Thumbs Up 8

I'll take my Eggman in Spheroid thank you very much. It makes calculations easier, just put him in a vacuum and the equations practically solve themselves.

But seriously, the only way to make someone that fat seem at all gainly is to go all out balloonlike with it.