Awoo.

The Sonic Fanbase, Circa 1990s! See what our forefathers were talking about

goku262002

Modern people COULD learn a few things out of these relics. But to be honest seeing the dates of these posts make me feel old.

And I wasn't even born for these dates, that's the worst part. D:

• Thumbs Up 3

They're so much BETTER than us guys. Seriously, we're spoiled little assholes. We start petty flamewars over stupid shit like green eyes and whether or not somebody has a possible chance of being in a spinoff game, and these guys can debate while respecting each-other.

That's what I've been saying all along. But no one believed me!

*wangst*

When have we ever had an actual, genuine argument about Sonic having green eyes?

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 5

When have we ever had an actual, genuine argument about Sonic having green eyes?

There was one a few days ago, actually.

Check this out guys, Its a post from a SEGA of America rep way back when:

Sonic and Knuckles has a scheduled release date of October 18. There is also

good news for those who enjoyed Sonic 2, and Sonic 3. A device will be

sold so that the games will be able to interface. That is one will be able

to play with characters from Sonic and Knuckles in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3.

Happy gaming.

Earl Stevenson

Sega Marketing Representative

Stanford University

Wow Stanford, didn't know SEGA was sending their reps to Unis at one point.

Wait, a device?! does that mean Sonic and Knuckles wasn't meant to be a lock-on game and there was supposed to be a seperate device to attach either/or game together?

I just checked the second link, and if we consider that polite, then that's probably the greatest testament to how downhill this fanbase has gone.

Other than the absence of textspeak and mutual accusations of cocksuckery between the disagreeing parties, they sound pretty much the same as any other groups of gamers arguing whether Product X or Product Y is better. Not so much a matter of politeness, just a lack of people calling each other faggots instead of making valid points.

I didn't know there was internet 20 years ago.

Well, Eternal September was 19 years ago this year, but before that is was really just government institutions and universities.

So a lot of the comparative difference in maturity comes from that barrier to entry.

Huh, here's an ... interesting opinion from the Sonic 2 thread.

My personal opinion is that Sega shouldn't waste its time with Sonic

2. The Sonic/Mario/Bonk sorta things aren't really games, just a bunch

of completely unrelated stuff all mashed together into a single

cartridge.

• Thumbs Up 1

He's saying Sega shouldn't bother because platformers are deader than Disco, presumably insinuating that they should focus all of their effort on the long future beat 'em ups and horizontal shooters will have instead.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

He's also saying that things should be randomised. This is often considered bad game design now, we like to have a choice of what levels we do, or just have a normal level list, not randomly get one level on one playthrough and another on the next.

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED.

My theory is this.

From the looks of some of the replies, most or all are in Universities, which would make sense. I don't know how many of you went to school in the early 90's but there was typically 1 school computer, and it was a pile of crap, you could barely run the pre-installed software on it, let alone go online, in fact going online even in most schools was virtually unheard of. Whilst some home computers did have internet access. It was exceptionally rare.

Universities however were a slightly different story, there was a 'computer room' and some top uni's would have had some internet access. Don't forget, originally the internet was a way for unis to share data.

So what the fuck happened?

Basically... in 1989-1999. Internet access was only given if you passed an IQ test. Today, you just have to fill out a user registration form =p

It's quite an insight though, not just for what people were talking about. But also how they don't 'think' like we do with games. For instance, the whole 'I got 500 rings and still didn't turn into super sonic' today nobody would ever think that. Mainly because getting that many rings would be too risky, not to mention you'd nearly exhaust everything in a zone to get that ammount, so what would be the point?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll add more games from the past as I go and probably stop around Sonic adventure 2, but lets see what we find from the past games first.

You mean you can actually find something about SA2 at Google Group archives? I've tried, but found only some post about SA2 toys.

Edited by crystallize
  • Thumbs Up 1

Depends on how you word things, for example I didn't find squat for Sonic the hedgehog 3 but found allot putting in Sonic 3. its all how the lingo was at the time.