Awoo.

Sony@TGS: Super Slim Me. Vita in the red & blue, PSP support continues in Japan because... Because Japan!

Badnik Mechanic

The Super Slim... looks oddly huge and it seems to be able to stand, if you have the stand.

dsc01879.jpg

dsc01883.jpg

dsc01884.jpg

dsc01887.jpg

dsc01891-1348034201.jpg

Is it just me? Or is there something really vintage/retro looking about the black one? It reminds me of a radio my grandma used to have.

The PS3 Slim Mk.II exists to most likely reduce Sony's production costs. A physically smaller unit, with what seems to be another die shrink for the CPU, maybe even cheaper Blu-ray tech. The thing has the chance to both reduce manufacturing costs and simultaneously grab a few extra sales.

Not a bad move by any stretch of the imagination.

The blue and red Vitas look nice, but like with the PSP (And partly the 3DS), I hate that metal around the console.

The new PS3 on the other hand is ugly as hell.

The blue and red Vitas look nice, but like with the PSP (And partly the 3DS), I hate that metal around the console.

Really? I always loved that metal ring. Perhaps they should have got it anodised to match the colour of the system.

The new PS3 on the other hand is ugly as hell.

I'm apathetic towards it. It doesn't look too bad, but nowhere near as sexy as the original PhatStation3

Really? I always loved that metal ring. Perhaps they should have got it anodised to match the colour of the system.

I'm apathetic towards it. It doesn't look too bad, but nowhere near as sexy as the original PhatStation3

Those ridges remind me of something from the late 80s or early 90s. Plus after the Slim went to matte, this goes back to glossy, which I just find disappointing. The shape just looks like they smushed the original PS3.

Edited by MarcelloF

EU and AU launch details

Europe

A 500GB version will launch in Europe on September 28, bundled with FIFA 13 for around €300.

Then two weeks later, on October 12, Sony will release a "wallet-friendly" version equipped with 12GB of flash memory, priced at around €230 standalone.

Owners of the 12GB model will be able to connect a SATA internal hard drive with use of an official mounting bracket, or pick up an official PlayStation 250GB internal HDD.

The new compact PS3 is 20 per cent smaller and 25 per cent lighter than PS3 Slim, Sony said.

Sony is not expected to set an official RRP in the UK, where it will let retail to determine its own pricing.

Australia

The system will be available in Australia from September 27, with the 12GB version costing $300 and the 500GB one $400.

http://www.computera...sion-confirmed/

Don't PS3s require you to download* your games? 12GB Flash Memory without SD Card support seems like it would fill up fast and be a hassle to upgrade.

Anyways, I'm going to buy a PS3 Super Slim so I can rub my fingers over that textured top. But I won't play it, so yeah..

*Edit: Clarified to mean install

Edited by Autosaver

Don't PS3s require you to download your games? 12GB Flash Memory without SD Card support seems like it would fill up fast and be a hassle to upgrade.

Most of the games have mandatory installs if that's what you mean. They usually don't take more than a couple hundred megs. That said, it is incredibly weird to see Sony of all people offer a 12GB PS3. If anything it's kind of backpedaling on itself and the kind of console it was always set out to be. Although if it's for the sake for supporting needs of a mere casual gamer console it does the job way better than the 4GB Xbox 360 S.

I'm still not exactly enjoying the consistent mentality of proprietary memory expansions.

• Thumbs Up 1

I must have missed that part midst the lines of "Official Playstation 250GB HDD". If so then that's assuring, setting aside that I'm not going to get one of these anyway.

The price on this is kind of off-putting in any case though.

From what I've read, Sony apparently (for god knows what reason) made the 12GB one so you can't just slap any old HDD in it when you run out of space like you can with every other PS3 that's been on the market. Unlike the 4GB 360, it sounds like it uses a different board design than the one with a HDD. There are conflicting reports on how the 12GB will work.

Edited by Tornado

No. I was operating last night on a news site that apparently completely made up the $200 price before Sony actually announced how much it would cost. Stores probably will slash prices on the Slim to clear out inventory, though (just like they did for the Fat in 2009), so keep you eye open.

So aside from being smaller, and coming with Uncharted 3, what is this thing offering?

More hard drive space. It also looks way better aesthetically than the old slim if you ask me.

More hard drive space. It also looks way better aesthetically than the old slim if you ask me.

I'm on the fence about it, although I am digging that white color.

Sony is not expected to set an official RRP in the UK, where it will let retail to determine its own pricing.

Interesting. I'd say something between £199 and £225 probably with various trade in deals (Ps3 slim, VITA ETC)

And I'd be up for it, but i'm really not a fan of the design.

It would be nicer if it weren't for that weird bumpy matte patch at the top. I mean, if most of it is already finger magnet gloss...why make one odd spot matte?