Awoo.

What is your favourite and most disliked Game Gear Sonic.

Bright Eyes

This is quite a different topic because most people do not discuss the Sonic Game Gears. Please keep in mind that in this thread I mean the conventional Sonic games and not the oddball spin offs like Sonic Labryinth tongue.png .

So that would be Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Triple Trouble and Sonic Blast.

My favourite would probably be Sonic Triple Trouble. It is basically a Game Gear conversion of Sonic 3 which is my favourite Sonic game.

My most disliked (and I guess most others) would be Sonic Blast. That really is a terrible game with poor pre-rendered graphics and physics.

It's not a category but I know Sonic 2 would definitely be the most frustrating ohmy.png. Holy heck that hanglider section :/

Edited by Bright Eyes

Least favorite is a no brainer. Its Sonic 2 because of its bullshit.

Favorite is probably either Sonic Chaos or Triple Trouble.

I'll give Tails Adventure some credit for doing something else.

• Thumbs Up 1

Triple Trouble is easily the best, I would love to see fans come up with a 16-bit remake of that game, I really think it should've been made for consoles. For worst Blast takes the cake as well, words cannot describe how cheap that game feels.

• Thumbs Up 1

Blast for the worst. I mean, duh. It's like comparing Hotel Mario to Super Mario Land.

The best... actually all four of the rest are jolly good to me (even Sonic 2 with it's Russian Roulette difficulty), but I reckon Triple Trouble's number one, if only for Sunset Park Act 3.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

I'm not so sure about the best. I've not played Triple Trouble in a long time. I like the Physics of Sonic 1 (SMS) but the level design is a bit linear so I'll say Sonic 2 is the best 8-bit title, but the thing is that I'm going by the Master System versions of the game, and I've heard that the Game Gear version is much worse due to the low resolution and lack of viewing distance, so I'm not sure.

As for worst, probably Sonic Blast. Clunky physics, ugly character graphics, level design far more linear than Sonic 1 8 bit, boring, stagnant music, rehashed zones, the list goes on.

My favorites are Sonic Triple Trouble and Sonic 2 (yep, that means I like Sky High). The least favorite got to be Sonic Blast, the game is a general crap. Short levels, easy and unimaginative bosses, short, not to mention the weird physics and well... dem graphics... But I like some animations tho.

Edited by Jango

Best of I played was Sonic Chaos. It has fun levels and sweet music.

Worst is Blast, easily. Fucking abomination of a game in every aspect.

The best for me is Sonic Drift 2 by far. It's a nice challenge without screwing you over with the controls, it's pretty fluid and it has some nice music in places (I <3 Emerald Ocean).

The worst...Um, I'd say I don't like ANY of them outside of the one above. I can't get used to any of them so I end up getting lost and getting bored and turning them off after a very short amount of time. This means that I don't hold such usual darlings like Chaos, Triple Trouble or Tails Adventure in very high regard at all.

My favorite one is and has always been Sonic 2. I love the art style, the music, and generally just the atmosphere of it. You can generally see where they fudged things to make stuff work like it did in the "big" games without actually working like them (loops in particular), but it really doesn't get in the way of the enjoyment and the game runs pretty smooth despite that. I spent hours and hours doing speedruns, honing my technique and timing for the levels, plus hours and hours investigating every nook and cranny of the levels to try and find the Chaos Emeralds. And I love the enemy design, and the way Robotnik was utilized in the game (kidnapping Tails and taunting Sonic to go after him, but going out of his way to make sure he was the one who defeated Sonic).

Least favorite would probably be Triple Trouble (because I've played so little of Blast that I have no opinion of it one way or the other). I never liked the art style, with the overly busy (albeit technically impressive) backgrounds and colors; or the character designs, with Caveman Sonic and superdeformed versions of stuff from the "big" games (this was a problem that extends to Chaos, but not as much as for this game). I never cared for any of the music, which seems to lack any impact or substance for many of the songs. The level design was too cluttered and too easy to get lost in. And as cool as Fang is, even when I was little the page or so story that the game gave me didn't make any sense having played S3&K first.

Edited by Tornado

Triple Trouble is my fave game gear Sonic. Once you get used to the whacked out physics and choppy framerates that all game gear games suffer from it is a very good game. The game takes some cues from yhe best Sonic game ever Sonic CD: from things like objects (think collision chaos in Meta Junglira), the super peelout and and how the game play focuses on exploration too because you have to find the emerald computers to access the special stages. The special stages are the best in the entire series in my opinion, starting with a time trial in a monochrome hidden palace with springs, invisible platforms and concrete spheres and ending with a comedic fight against dear old Fang/Nack. As well as fighting Fang you fight Knuckles(in a mech.) and Metal Sonic too, guess that's why its called triple trouble?

This game also had some interesting gimmicks in the levels like a spring that stays stuck to your feet, rocket shoes, submarine shoes and bubbles you can travel inside. Also Sonic could re-curl in the air for a second or two, something so simple and useful that I still wonder why it isn't in every Sonic game.

Finally the zone names are wacky and unique:

Great Tourquoise, Meta Junglira, Robotnik Winter and Atomic Destroyer all sound cool right? I really wish Triple Trouble got a 16bit makeover because as well as being a great game I could truly appreciate the soundtrack which potentially has a few gems.

As for the worst GG game:

Sonic 2 game gear version is the worst Sonic game ever made. That first boss, the claw thing that shoots ball bearings and when you try to avoid them you end up sliding down the hill into its claws leading to insta-death because there are no rings! I never give up on a Sonic game but that was too much to take which is a shame because from what I hear I'm missing out on a decent game where Tails is may or may not be killed by Robotnik in the bad ending.

I know I've tooted this horn a million times but just in case anyone here hasn't been tooted at me by it before:

Play Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos on the Master System. They are infinitely better and more playable without any of the bullshit difficulty of the the Game Gear version. You can get the Master System versions legally on Wii Virtual Console.

Anyway, yeah. My favourite is Sonic 2 due to natural biased nostalgia, the Master System version was my first ever Sonic game. On Game Gear it still plays pretty well outside of the way they made the first boss ridiculously hard. The Game Gear version even has a couple of minor improvements, such as the third boss forcing you to jump instead of just letting you stand there until the next opportunity comes round to hit, and the fact that the Good Ending music is used in the Game Gear version, while the Master System used the (admittedly better song lol) Bad Ending music for either ending.

While objectively, Sonic 2 is not the best Game Gear game, it's still my favourite because I know the game well enough from the bigger screen'd Master System version to enjoy it.

Least favourite would be Sonic Blast but that's a cop-out answer of course. For me it would instead be Triple Trouble because... yeah the Game Gear-ness annoys me. The only reason I can enjoy any of the Game Gear games is because I'm already familiar with the Master System versions that are all a lot more manageable thanks to the larger screen space. I think it tried to be too big for it's boots and mimic the Mega Drive games' complexity without really having the processing power or level size to pull it off. Cracking effort but I think a simpler game like Sonic 1, 2 and Chaos is a lot more compatible for the small resolution.

To be honest though, the explorative aspects in all four games don't work too well with such a tiny viewpoint. The games with less of them I prefer for this reason.

• Thumbs Up 2

To be honest I don't really think much of any of them. As a kid I had Sonic 1, 2, Spinball (how did I find it easier to beat on a small screen than a full-sized one?), Chaos, TT, Drift 2 and Labyrinth and managed to have a bit of fun with all of them, Triple Trouble being the game I would go back to. Now though, I find them far too flawed to be all that fun. As far as the Tails games are concerned; I'd never heard of them. The one day that my dad told me he saw a Tails game in the shop, he decided not to buy it and it was gone the next time he was in there. >:| Still, when I eventually gave them a go in DX I found them to be pretty crappy.

I guess Triple Trouble's the winner for me anyway. As for the worst... I'd say one of the Tails games. I can't remember if one seemed more or less crap than another. I've never played Blast but it sounds like something worth missing.

Edited by Pawn

Best is Probably Sonic 1 or Triple Trouble for me, Bridge Zone <3

Worst is easily Sonic Blast. Hey let's put DKC graphics that grind the SNES on a significantly weaker console and make it look horrendus! Gameplay is shit too. I can't belive this garbage is actually available on the eShop now, such a waste. I actually saw a top10 sonic games video with this game as like #3 or something... Whatever floats your boat I guess :\

I'm a fan of Sonic 1 myself, it feels the least clunky and it both combines the original Sonic 1 with it's own original twist. Scrap Brain and Sky Base are really cool. I like Sonic 2 as well for similar reasons but it's not as fun to me because of it's awkward difficulty curve. Triple Trouble is pretty awesome too but it feels clunky to me. It is the most like the 16 bit ones though.

Least favourite is Sonic Blast, for obvious reasons. I'm also not a fan of Sonic Chaos, I find it really half baked, as if it's really unfinished.

Sonic Blast is easily the worst. It honestly feels like a pirate game rather than a legit product from SEGA.

I will always like Sonic Chaos. Sure, it's insanely easy, but it's fun and it has the SUPER PEEL OUT!!!

My favourite game ( not only sonic's,it's my favourite game from all of what I've played in my entire life) is Sonic 2, master system version. So...that is.

The wrost game gear sonic game? Sonic Blast. It's horrible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Chaos and Triple Trouble, are the only good Sonic titles for the Game Gear. The Drift games are kinda fun though too, but I find the rest of the Game Gear games are kinda boring and I rarely ever played them for more than a few minutes.

Edited by Kamina

Yay a topic for the Game Gear games!

Anyway, my favorite of all the 8-bit Sonic games would definitely be Sonic Triple Trouble, by far. Sure, it's a bit clunky (especially by today's standards), but it just has so much going for it. The levels are pretty fun, the soundtrack is amazing, and there's a ton of interesting gimmicks thrown in. Hopping around on spring pads, soaring through the sky in rocket shoes, exploring in Tails' sea fox... you just don't see that kind of stuff in the Genesis games. So yeah, I have a lot of love for Triple Trouble.

As for my least favorite... I'm going to have to go with Sonic Blast. I would have said Sonic Labyrinth, although even though I don't enjoy it myself, I wouldn't really say it's a bad game. It's just different than what you would expect a Sonic game to be. Sonic Blast, however, is a bad game. They tried to push the Game Gear too hard with the prerendered graphics, and the results are not pretty. Also, gameplay and level design are crap. I have to admit this though, I love the soundtrack to the game. It's kind of a guilty pleasure of mine.

Let me explain about how I dislike Tails Sky Patrol. It does not play like Sonic. At all. The controls are bizarre and the entire premise is stupid. I couldn't even beat the first level.

Favorite? If I had to be honest, it would be Tails Adventure. That game was awesome.

Worst? Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. All the way.

• 2 years later...