Awoo.

Xiaolin Showdown/Chronicles

Soniman

All 3 episodes are now availale for Youtube viewing, better watch em before they are taken down.

*Eyebrows knit together in confusion*

Okaaaay...so is this a reboot of the original, or an alternate continuity?

I think this show is pretty cool so far. My only major gripe is the bodily humor with Dojo. Seriously the puss jokes aren't the least bit funny, not to mention they got old pretty damn quick.

I'm convinced that omi and ping pong are related. C'mon your going to tell me that they didn't have a reason for them to look alike and their both voiced by Tara Strong

I think this show is pretty cool so far. My only major gripe is the bodily humor with Dojo. Seriously the puss jokes aren't the least bit funny, not to mention they got old pretty damn quick.

I'm pretty sure those jokes will be gone by the next episode. Remember that these 3 episodes were connected as a semi-arc format and usually those tend to have reused jokes as some sort of running gag. The next arc will probably find a better/different gag... hopefully. I'm pretty sure this show used to do that (although the episodes were more self contained so the gag was different every episode)

I guess.... think of these 3 episodes as one huge episode and then it'll kinda make sense.

Thoughts on the eps: pretty damn good, definitely one of the better animated shows on TV at the moment. I'm still not sure if this is a continuation or alternate universe, it seemed to hint on both for me really. The new Shen Gong Wu names sound odd to me but that's prolly just down to my love of the old series. The voices sound alright if not a little... I don't know? Bland? Samey? That was the impression I got anyway. Omi sounds great as does Kimiko, Dojo is alright too. Ping Pong sounds and looks way too much like Omi and it's weird for me, when he loses his glasses it's difficult to tell who's who without looking at specific details. Also, Dojo being yellow is just silly.

Also, the show seems to lack something to me... I don't know what it is though. I was thinking it could be the humour, as Chronicles makes less of those funny anime-ish style jokes like in Showdown. But it was still a lot of fun to see all these characters back and stuff~

Also, Dojo being yellow is just silly.

Yeah this is something that bugged me, why IS he yellow anyway?

Yeah this is something that bugged me, why IS he yellow anyway?

Most of the characters look older so I assumed it was an age thing.

Most of the characters look older so I assumed it was an age thing.

Or he got stuck in the washer for too long. I have greenish towels that start to change colors into yellow when they've been washed for a period of time.

Or he got stuck in the washer for too long. I have greenish towels that start to change colors into yellow when they've been washed for a period of time.

Untitled-2.png

Dragons are weird man

• Thumbs Up 1

I caught the episodes online. Didn't have that much hope, but unlike certain other revivals of shows, this one stays really faithful and true to the original.

Everything about it, from the writing to the jokes to the characters, felt just like I was watching a new season of the original show.

I don't like the pacing/editing though. Some scenes move by a little too fast for my liking while sometimes they just jumpcut without warning. This was probably because of them trying to fit everything together in three episodes, but still. Hopefully it will get better soon.

I'm also so god damn confused, is this supposed to be a sequel or a reboot!?!?

They reference the old show, like knowing who each other is, Wuya saying "Jack, it's been a long time...", Them already having the Wu, knowing Chase Young and all that. But they also reboot things like, Rai isn't the leader of the group anymore, they're all apprentices again, Dojo being yellow, Master Fu being older, and Wuya being trapped in a spring instead of a box (Dojo even made a little joke about this).

They really need to explain that asap, cause it's too confusing for me. I'm also trying to get the hang of the new names for the Wu. Like everytime Omi says "Orb of Torpedo!" I just can't help but whisper "Tsunami dammit!"

Yeah it's still unclear if its a reboot or not as for the wu apparently Warner bros owns the rights to the names for so reason. I wish there was an interview with the creators explaining if its a reboot or continuation

I caught the episodes online. Didn't have that much hope, but unlike certain other revivals of shows, this one stays really faithful and true to the original.

Everything about it, from the writing to the jokes to the characters, felt just like I was watching a new season of the original show.

I don't like the pacing/editing though. Some scenes move by a little too fast for my liking while sometimes they just jumpcut without warning. This was probably because of them trying to fit everything together in three episodes, but still. Hopefully it will get better soon.

I'm also so god damn confused, is this supposed to be a sequel or a reboot!?!?

They reference the old show, like knowing who each other is, Wuya saying "Jack, it's been a long time...", Them already having the Wu, knowing Chase Young and all that. But they also reboot things like, Rai isn't the leader of the group anymore, they're all apprentices again, Dojo being yellow, Master Fu being older, and Wuya being trapped in a spring instead of a box (Dojo even made a little joke about this).

They really need to explain that asap, cause it's too confusing for me. I'm also trying to get the hang of the new names for the Wu. Like everytime Omi says "Orb of Torpedo!" I just can't help but whisper "Tsunami dammit!"

TORNAMI, not Tsunami...Although the latter would not be a bad substitute.

• Thumbs Up 1

TORNAMI, not Tsunami...Although the latter would not be a bad substitute.

It's probably too good a substitute and would cause trouble as a result.

That's for Xiaolin Showdown, the older series.

EDIT: Just checked, and I was wrong, it's the newer series. Which begs the question why is it being given the name of the older series?

Edited by Yeow

Am I the only one disappointed with the opening theme for this show? It's not terrible, but it lacks the cool factor that Showdown's had.

Yeah I was pretty disappointed with the intro as well. That and the CGI showdowns are the only factors of the show that disappoint me, and that's not bad at all :). Things could have been far worse.

• 4 weeks later...

2ez5oq8.png

so yeah this show aired already has anybody seen it yet?

also Omi said :Oooh... What is a hoedown? A showdown with hoes? Count me in!

Edited by Dejimon11

• 4 months later...

BUMP!

So I've just finished rewatching the entire series of Showdown over a week. Despite some glaring examples of flanderization (Omi, Jack), character side-lining (Clay, Kimiko) and certain plot-points feeling rather forced (like Wuya coming back the episode after the was trapped in the puzzle box), it still really holds up. Definitely one of my favourite cartoons. Today decided to watch the first episodes of Chronicles... what a crock of shit it turned out to be. 

Let me be clear, Chronicles in itself isn't a bad show. But it sets itself up as both a continuation and a reboot all at once. Way too much has been changed for me to be able to enjoy. Big and small plot points have been completely retconned, especially in regards to character development. That was one of the most enjoyable parts of the original show. All in all it's a massive disappointment. 

Also, the CGI showdowns look like shit.

Why is Omi a complete narcissist again? Why does Ping Pong exist? Like I can't help but feel that the character is just offensive as all hell (Omi was a near stereotype and Ping Pong just took it way to far)

Futhermore I can't fathom why this show is the way it is. It's not really a continuation but not really a reebot…..so what is the mission statement here? An alternate continuity?? 

It's not really a continuation but not really a reebot…..so what is the mission statement here? An alternate continuity?? 

That confuses me to pieces as well! Can we get some sort of statement on what this is suppose to be?

Besides the changes and the retcons my main problem with this show is ping pong. Seriously who the hell is this guy and why does he even exist? Maybe I wouldn't havef minded it too much if he wasn't Omi minus the ego. My only guess is that they added him because he probably related to Omi(what a twist) if they wanted to add a new member why didn't they add Jamine? You Jamine the kid from New York, good at basket ball helped Omi win a showdown against Jack in a game of basketball and then Chase Young took him as an apprentice to mess with Omi? I would rather have him than ping pong anyday