Awoo.

Who else wants another game like Generations?

Bright Eyes

Come on man, he's not that hard to handle. You just have to keep coming up with counter-arguments to his points.

But this is getting off topic.

It's not off topic. I asked if people want another Generations-esque game and Dio disagrees. He's entitled to his opinions.

(Even if he's wrong :P )

It's not off topic. I asked if people want another Generations-esque game and Dio disagrees. He's entitled to his opinions.

(Even if he's wrong tongue.png )

That part is not off topic, it's people going "Beware Of Dio, Here Comes One Of His Rants".

But again, I should stop being off topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Classic Sonic was great and way better than Sonic fricking 4. What fundamentals are wrong? The minor changes in bouncing and rolling? I mean seriously?
  • Thumbs Up 9

When I mean I want another game like Generations I mean I want a game that plays like Generations. The modern aspect particularly (because that's what SEGA will probably continue with).

Just so people don't get confused tongue.png

Edited by -L-
  • Thumbs Up 5

Yes, the ones that

and render Generations Classic nothing more than a pale imitation, a clunky platformer with a boost in disguise and a familiar face pasted on.

All none of them. Classic Sonic doesn't have the mechanics to do anything more interesting than the most bog-standard platforming, aside from abusing the spindash, and the game barely has any interesting level gimmicks to make up for it. Why should I play a game like this when I can go play Mario?

You have a few more choices of which hallway to go down. You're still not doing anything interesting, you're still not engaging with the game in much more than pseudo-QTEs. You hold the boost button, you input the right sequence of buttons, you win. The game doesn't really support you doing anything else.

No, I rented it, because everything I saw before doing so led me to believe it wasn't worth dropping more than a few bucks. And unfortunately I was right about that.

Edited by Bright Eyes

Not even I can argue against the facts. Classic Sonic in Generations is not up to snuff. It is fun in its own right, but it simply does not "get the point."

• Thumbs Up 7

Not even I can argue against the facts. Classic Sonic in Generations is not up to snuff. It is fun in its own right, but it simply does not "get the point."

• Thumbs Up 1

If we had another Generations say, the 30th Anniversary, what would Generations's stage rep be?

It gets the point a lot more then Sonic 4 ever did.

This is true - Sonic no longer has to fight against incredible friction and antigravity slopes! :P

So? it's still shit.

I wouldn't quite say that.

• Thumbs Up 5

The terrible physics and overpowered spindash killed it for me.

I cannot bounce past a certain height when I hit an enemy!

Game is ruined!

:P

The terrible physics and overpowered spindash killed it for me.

Fair enough, but I still wouldn't go as far as to call it shit.

Would I like another game like Generations? Sure, but in 20 years time, not next year. Lets give SEGA enough time to release three of four new 3d games with new and original level design, and if everyone likes that, then do another anniversary game.

On a side note, I liked the Modern gameplay a lot in Generations because of the multiple routes, among other things. Classic Sonic physic's in Generations were very different from the Genesis games, because in Generations it was more momentum based. Powering up that spindash would send you forward soooo fast. Classic Sonic was still fun though and very easy to play in Generations.

Perhaps if there was another anniversary game, a better story and a playable Tails would be a priority.

Edited by NightwingFox

Would I like another game like Generations? Sure, but in 20 years time, not next year. Lets give SEGA enough time to release three of four new 3d games with new and original level design, and if everyone likes that, then do another anniversary game.

On a side note, I liked the Modern gameplay a lot in Generations because of the multiple routes, among other things. Classic Sonic physic's in Generations were very different from the Genesis games, because in Generations it was more momentum based. Powering up that spindash would send you forward soooo fast. Classic Sonic was still fun though and very easy to play in Generations.

Perhaps if there was another anniversary game, a better story and a playable Tails would be a priority.

Well I'm not talking about another anniversary game but just a game like how Generations functioned.

Sorry but you are nitpicking to the extreme. Classic Sonic in Generations functions perfectly fine and if you say he doesn't you are just living in the past.
Getting real close to not giving a shit about your thoughts on this subject.

The only sense that Classic Sonic works "perfectly fine" is that it's not excessively glitchy. There's no coherent design to his mechanics; they took a blind idiot approach to making a "Classic Sonic", they copied abilities at the surface level without understanding why they existed or how they worked together. This is the same kind of shit that every Sonic knockoff, every shitty animal-with-attitude game, tried to pull. Except now it's coming from the series that had originally set the standard. He's become fucking Bubsy.

Maybe he doesn't function identical to he did back in the Genesis but you cannot claim that tiny changes in his bouncing and rolling are massive game breakers.
Did you watch the video? Did you see how one of the most basic actions a classic Sonic game has does not work in Generations? This isn't a tiny change, this undermines the concept that the games were built on. This takes away most of what made the game more than a Mario clone.

And why should you play this game instead of Mario? Oh I don't know! Maybe because, like me, you have won Mario and want to play something else?
Playing Mario again is more fun than Generations. And being "that game you play when you're bored with the good game" isn't exactly high praise.

The Mario VS Sonic wars are over now.
I could've subbed in almost any platformer. I've been itching to run through DKCR again, for example.

I massively disagree with your Modern Sonic claims. The levels are massively expansive and make the Adventure levels look insanely linear.
Protip: The Adventure games are not that great. Even if Generations improves upon them, they're still batting far below what this series could be doing.

In fact Sky Sanctuary and Seaside Hill are massively sandbox
Bull. There's nothing sandboxy about Generations, it's an A-to-B experience. Sonic games have basically never been sandboxy anyway.

And claiming the game is like a Massive QTE is absurd. Do you claim the game is boost to win?
Boost and react/memorize the obstacles so you can press whichever button solves the obstacle. Small gap? Slide. Obstacles arranged in 3 rows? Quick step. Extra-glowy rings? Light Dash. Enemies? Homing attack. This is barely any different from flashing a button on screen. Modern Sonic is a game about solving basic obstacles in the same way as fast as possible.

I would love to see you win any level in Generations by just holding boost down.
I've done GHZ without touching the control stick. It's easy as fuck, actually. I think I did Chemical Plant once, too.

All I can think is that you are a massive classic fan who cannot stand any game design to be any different (and this isn't HERP DERP green eyes). I loved Sonic 1,2,3AK too and still obsses over them but I don't fixate on minute changes like rolling and bouncing and decide it ruins an otherwise great game.
And all I can see is someone who's put no thought into game design, someone who considers the actual mechanics of the gameplay to be irrelevant, and who thinks anything that is functional is good.
  • Thumbs Up 7

Getting real close to not giving a shit about your thoughts on this subject.

The only sense that Classic Sonic works "perfectly fine" is that it's not excessively glitchy. There's no coherent design to his mechanics; they took a blind idiot approach to making a "Classic Sonic", they copied abilities at the surface level without understanding why they existed or how they worked together. This is the same kind of shit that every Sonic knockoff, every shitty animal-with-attitude game, tried to pull. Except now it's coming from the series that had originally set the standard. He's become fucking Bubsy.

Did you watch the video? Did you see how one of the most basic actions a classic Sonic game has does not work in Generations? This isn't a tiny change, this undermines the concept that the games were built on. This takes away most of what made the game more than a Mario clone.

Playing Mario again is more fun than Generations. And being "that game you play when you're bored with the good game" isn't exactly high praise.

I could've subbed in almost any platformer. I've been itching to run through DKCR again, for example.

Protip: The Adventure games are not that great. Even if Generations improves upon them, they're still batting far below what this series could be doing.

Bull. There's nothing sandboxy about Generations, it's an A-to-B experience. Sonic games have basically never been sandboxy anyway.

Boost and react/memorize the obstacles so you can press whichever button solves the obstacle. Small gap? Slide. Obstacles arranged in 3 rows? Quick step. Extra-glowy rings? Light Dash. Enemies? Homing attack. This is barely any different from flashing a button on screen. Modern Sonic is a game about solving basic obstacles in the same way as fast as possible.

I've done GHZ without touching the control stick. It's easy as fuck, actually. I think I did Chemical Plant once, too.

And all I can see is someone who's put no thought into game design, someone who considers the actual mechanics of the gameplay to be irrelevant, and who thinks anything that is functional is good.

I would argue you down but it's making all the forum members get massively sensative and bitch on their status updates. So, sorry Diogenes we can talk about this some other time.

I disagree with you still of course :P

Let's be friends aye? I like your name Diogenes. I take it is after the philosopher?

The only sense that Classic Sonic works "perfectly fine" is that it's not excessively glitchy. There's no coherent design to his mechanics; they took a blind idiot approach to making a "Classic Sonic", they copied abilities at the surface level without understanding why they existed or how they worked together.

Like Sonic CD? Or does that one get a pass?

Serious question.

Edited by Tornado

I would argue you down but it's making all the forum members get massively sensative and bitch on their status updates. So, sorry Diogenes we can talk about this some other time.
Fine. As much as I do it, I get sick of raging about Generations too.

Let's be friends aye? I like your name Diogenes. I take it is after the philosopher?
Yeah, I liked the way it sounds and I figured taking the name of the Cynic was appropriate for a cynical internet asshole like myself.

CD's got some dumb things (the time travel mechanics are screwed all to fuck, and a lot of levels are too chaotically designed to put Sonic's abilities to good use), but the core mechanics of a 2D Sonic are still there and still solid, and there are still a lot of opportunities to use them.

Serious question.

Sonic CD physic's were different from the Genesis games, but it was no where near as noticeable as Sonic 4 Ep1 or Generations. Once you got use to CD's style, it really isn't a problem (for me, anyway).

... Eh, as much as I genuinely like Sonic Generations, I just want something new (and preferably exciting) at this point. Perhaps, take some cues from the Genesis games, I guess.

I would argue you down but it's making all the forum members get massively sensative and bitch on their status updates.

Was this really necessary?

• Thumbs Up 2

No, I think it's better to move forward, I want to see a bit of fresh 3D gameplay, something a bit different for the next game.

Edited by Red Wisp