Awoo.

Who else wants another game like Generations?

Bright Eyes

I'm not sure if I should keep discussing this because everyone seems to know a hell of a lot more about the mechanics of the old Sonic games than I do. I will admit though that I find a lot of this massively exxagerated because in all the Sonic games beside Sonic 4 and Rush he's controlled very similarly to me.I'll continue my piece thoug I didn't realise there was such a massive fan opposition against Generations either.

Also Generations is widely regarded as a good game and it's undeniably the best Sonic game in a very long time tongue.png

My main point is that I think they should continue (probably the Modern Aspect) what they are doing in this game because it has not really reached its potential yet. I know what you are probably thinking 'nope it was already used in Colours and Unleashed'. The problem with this argument was that Unleashed was a terrible game so many, non die-hard fans, have never played Unleashed. Adittionally Colours was a WII exclusive so that has was more obscure too.

The fact is Generations was the main debut of the Modern Aspect of the game since it was the first time it was in a accessible and good game. Because of this I think it would be a massive shame if they axed a great game mechanic that has barely had time to be perfected yet.

Edited by Bright Eyes

I would be completely in favour of seeing a Sonic Generations 2 that is specifically just a slapped-on story as an excuse to remake more classic levels. I know it wouldn't exactly move the franchise forward, but by god those remade levels are a treat for the eyes and fun to play.

Hell, I wasn't exactly complaining when Super Mario Galaxy 2 was basically just a new level pack. I wouldn't hold it agains the Sonic franchise to pull the same thing.

I loved Generations, 230 hours of my life on it and I'm still going back for more. Though I'd love it if it had at least two or maybe three levels from each game. And, even though Classic Sonic was really fun, I think they could have made him better, like Sonic 2's roll and physic tweaks here and there.

A Generations 2 would be welcome with me, though I can't see it in the near future, maybe another ten or twenty years.

Gameplay-wise? Yes.

Lack of (decent) story, solo-Sonic, and forced nostalgia? No.

Generations was a great Sonic game, it was just kinda underwhelming. Don't get me wrong, I did smile a lot, but it was like... you wanted your kid to be a lawyer, but instead joins IT. Decent career path, should be off fine, but ... come on.

No. I'd rather have a new gameplay style because as much as I like current one I think it's starting to be a bit boring. Give something new and fresh please. Maybe SA2 Sonic's gameplay with Generations level design and levels inspired by real-life locations (like SU)?

I have a better question.

Who wants a completely brand new entry into the 3D main series?

Given that a completely brand new entry could so easily be enother experiment that goes horribly, horribly wrong, I'd honestly rather have the safe re-hash right now.

Or both. Both would be pretty cool.

Given that a completely brand new entry could so easily be enother experiment that goes horribly, horribly wrong, I'd honestly rather have the safe re-hash right now.

What do you mean by safe re-hash? Another Unleashed style game?

I have a better question.

Who wants a completely brand new entry into the 3D main series?

Depends. If the game comes out to be good, sure! If it doesn't...meh. It's sort of a gamble.

Or both. Both would be pretty cool.

The current Modern style gameplay will get boring sooner or later, hell, even some people are bored of it already or don't like it in the first place. Sonic Team has to try something new sometime, hopefully they know what they are doing by now otherwise it will be like 2005-2009 all over again, and if that happens then "bye bye Sonic and bye bye SEGA".

Edited by KrazyBean
  • Thumbs Up 2

In terms of quality, a production is only as risky as the skill of the people involved who are making it. If Sonic Team was on DIMPS levels of suckage right now, then I'd be wary. But they're not. So can we please let them have some breathing room or do we have to wait another decade for another playable character to appear?

• Thumbs Up 7

I don't know, I'd much rather have a play-it-safe game that's good, then a more risky game that sucks. If Sonic Team needs to play it safe to make good games and not re-fuck Sonic's reputation for now, then so be it I say. Besides, it makes a lot of sense given their current finances to play it safe with stuff they know will sell.

If Sonic 06 can turn a profit, that should tell you that Sonic games sell pretty well regardless of their quality.

I also don't like this constant equivocation of "different" to "suck", especially when the "safer" games have ranged from noticeably flawed (Colors) to outright crap anyway (Episode 1). I'll use the new voice actors for example. They're the best we've ever had, but are completely railroaded from being able to really shine by plots that barely enter the picture in the games they've been in. I mean, was anyone here actually happy with Generations' story? Yeah, it was safe in that it didn't do anything that'd cause a non-fan to squirm, but really, is the nothingness of Generations plot the best we can have? And if so, how long until we can make the step of having the characters do more than stand around and make funny quips the entire time?

I'm chomping at the bit for something interesting to happen in the next game, and it doesn't even have to be a complete overhaul either. A strange plot device that actually pays off, a playable character, a new story-centric character, something, anything, because the last two games were underwhelming in many ways despite their high production values and good reception, and I just don't know what more Sonic Team can even do at this point to further prove themselves to you guys and get you to loosen your belts some. Seriously, what are we all waiting on them to do so I can start a huge e-mail group to them and get this ball moving faster? Cuz I'll do it. <<;;

• Thumbs Up 7

There exists a line between "Generations-level paranoia" and "STH '06-style overreaching disaster," and I don't think it would be too dangerous to let Sonic Team try something after a string of 3 games in a row that show that they are at the very least competent at what they are doing.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 9

... and I don't think it would be too dangerous to let Sonic Team try something after a string of 3 games in a row that show that they are at the very least competent at what they are doing.
Unless what they are doing is classic Sonic...
  • Thumbs Up 1

One of my points though is that for many people this 'Modern Sonic' is a competely new experience. Take me for example. I gave up on Sonic after Sonic 06 and didn't play any Sonic games until I recently got Generations when I heard things about it.

I recently played Unleashed and the game was downright terrible not to mention that the daytime stages were a risk back then that in my opinion failed (poor controls, terrible level design). Sure, Colours is good apperently but not many of us have played it because it's a WII exclusive. For most people Generations is the first time we have played a 'Modern Sonic' type game.

I just think it is very silly to sacrifice a relatively new game mechanic for Sonic that actually works in 3D because of the entire series lack of playable characters at the moment. What would make you think if they changed the games mechanics they would bring back playable characters anyway?

I mean face it guys. Team Sonic knows that critics hate Sonic's friends and if they put them in the game they are taking a massive risk that would probably backfire. Especially seeing as SEGA are in financial trouble.

It's the same for the game's story. Generations had a non-existant story in response to the critics. If Team Sonic make a new game mechanic how is this going to assure a good story?

Edited by Bright Eyes

I also don't like this constant equivocation of "different" to "suck", especially when the "safer" games have ranged from noticeably flawed (Colors) to outright crap anyway (Episode 1).

This. This. This.

I could not have said it better myself. I find it so unbelievably frustrating that change is ultimately considered a horrible and terrible thing in this series nowadays. Sonic Team is paralyzed in fear because of this attitude and they have been for a number of years. That's why so many characters are just sitting around not being used.

What is the point in hiring a whole new cast of voice actors when you barely even get to hear them? Ignoring Sonic, Tails, and the big bad Eggman, everyone's lines in Generations are minimal at best. And yet we've already got people complaining about performances in Free Riders and wishing the older cast with Griffith was back.

It's ridiculous. Can we at least get a good listen before we throw out all the new talent we've hired? Honestly.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 9

If Sonic 06 can turn a profit, that should tell you that Sonic games sell pretty well regardless of their quality.

I also don't like this constant equivocation of "different" to "suck", especially when the "safer" games have ranged from noticeably flawed (Colors) to outright crap anyway (Episode 1). I'll use the new voice actors for example. They're the best we've ever had, but are completely railroaded from being able to really shine by plots that barely enter the picture in the games they've been in. I mean, was anyone here actually happy with Generations' story? Yeah, it was safe in that it didn't do anything that'd cause a non-fan to squirm, but really, is the nothingness of Generations plot the best we can have? And if so, how long until we can make the step of having the characters do more than stand around and make funny quips the entire time?

I'm chomping at the bit for something interesting to happen in the next game, and it doesn't even have to be a complete overhaul either. A strange plot device that actually pays off, a playable character, a new story-centric character, something, anything, because the last two games were underwhelming in many ways despite their high production values and good reception, and I just don't know what more Sonic Team can even do at this point to further prove themselves to you guys and get you to loosen your belts some. Seriously, what are we all waiting on them to do so I can start a huge e-mail group to them and get this ball moving faster? Cuz I'll do it. <<;;

I didn't say different and more risky meant bad necessarily, it's just with Sonic Team's track record, and SEGA's current finances (more the second reason), maybe they should play it safe a little while longer. And yes, Sonic 06 sold, but that didn't stop it from destroying Sonic's public reputation. Obviously I don't want Generations-anniversary game-level rehash safe, maybe just Colors-safe.

EDIT: Also, it's not that I don't support more risk-taking in the future, I'm just saying that right now, it's probably not the best idea.

Edited by Zero

I'd rather not have to spend $50-$60 on a 2-3 hour game with little replay value. It's ridiculous. I don't mind the current formula, but I'm all for something fresh as long as it's fun and has a lot of content and replay value. I also want stories in Sonic games that aren't bare-bones.

I want something that isn't Super Hyper Ultimate Sonic Unleashed EO Alpha Gold EX Turbo Unchained: Second Impact: Giant Attack: Third Strike: Fight For The Future: The Lord of Vampire: Jedah's Damnation 2 Champion Edition: Hyper Fighting: The Movie: Grand Master Challenge 3D: The New Challengers Special Ultimate Battle: Black Ops HD. Something with more playables and darker story. Also classic physics.

I want something that isn't Super Hyper Ultimate Sonic Unleashed EO Alpha Gold EX Turbo Unchained: Second Impact: Giant Attack: Third Strike: Fight For The Future: The Lord of Vampire: Jedah's Damnation 2 Champion Edition: Hyper Fighting: The Movie: Grand Master Challenge 3D: The New Challengers Special Ultimate Battle: Black Ops HD.

• Thumbs Up 4

I want something that isn't Super Hyper Ultimate Sonic Unleashed EO Alpha Gold EX Turbo Unchained: Second Impact: Giant Attack: Third Strike: Fight For The Future: The Lord of Vampire: Jedah's Damnation 2 Champion Edition: Hyper Fighting: The Movie: Grand Master Challenge 3D: The New Challengers Special Ultimate Battle: Black Ops HD. Something with more playables and darker story. Also classic physics.