Awoo.

Who else wants another game like Generations?

Bright Eyes

I want something that isn't Super Hyper Ultimate Sonic Unleashed EO Alpha Gold EX Turbo Unchained: Second Impact: Giant Attack: Third Strike: Fight For The Future: The Lord of Vampire: Jedah's Damnation 2 Champion Edition: Hyper Fighting: The Movie: Grand Master Challenge 3D: The New Challengers Special Ultimate Battle: Black Ops HD. Something with more playables and darker story. Also classic physics.

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 5

The only reason Generations seemed to have too much 2D was because Classic Sonic was entirely in 2D.

I don't think it would be a problem in any future ideas.

The only reason Generations seemed to have too much 2D was because Classic Sonic was entirely in 2D.

But that was the problem, you have one Sonic that's all 2D, then you the other Sonic that's capable of traversing the third dimension but then switches to 2D often, and we've seen what they can do with the third dimension at this point. It's pretty good, they shouldn't have relied on 2D as often as they did.

Edited by Balding Spider

But that was the problem, you have one Sonic that's all 2D, then you the other Sonic that's capable of traversing the third dimension but then switches to 2D often, and we've seen what they can do with the third dimension at this point. It's pretty good, they shouldn't have relied on 2D as often as they did.

Well the next hypothetical game will probably not have Classic Sonic :P

Well the next hypothetical game will probably not have Classic Sonic tongue.png

As much as I don't mind the 2D segments in the Modern games, I kind of like my 3D/2D ratio to be more 3D please.

As much as I don't mind the 2D segments in the Modern games, I kind of like my 3D/2D ratio to be more 3D please.

Me too! That's easy enough to fix for a sequel though.

Unless it's DIMPS haha :P

Well the next hypothetical game will probably not have Classic Sonic tongue.png

Hopefully not, I'm with Dio in that they really botched up the Classic Sonic gameplay. It wasn't Werehog or Sonic 4 terrible, but still felt like a chore to playthrough and really heavy when compaired to his future counterpart.

Hopefully not, I'm with Dio in that they really botched up the Classic Sonic gameplay. It wasn't Werehog or Sonic 4 terrible, but still felt like a chore to playthrough and really heavy when compaired to his future counterpart.

And I still think this is massively exaggerated and Classic Sonic was just fine in his own right :P .

I really don't think it will be an issue anyway. The next 'Classic Sonic' games will probably be handled by DIMPS and be like Sonic 4 :P or might not exist at all because, apperently, we are impossible to please!

It's funny because it's true!

Okay, that's just not funny anymore.

Consideirng this is a running gag of miru's that has been nothing short of spammed to death, it stopped being funny a long time ago.

It's more like 5/8's 2D but eh.
I did the math based on some videos and timewise Modern Sonic is about 2/3 3D and 1/3 2D, making the game as a whole about 1/3 3D and 2/3 2D. Which is still pretty lame, especially when most of the big outliers in favor of 3D were from level with long 3D gimmicks, like City Escape's boarding and truck chase.

I did the math based on some videos and timewise Modern Sonic is about 2/3 3D and 1/3 2D, making the game as a whole about 1/3 3D and 2/3 2D. Which is still pretty lame, especially when most of the big outliers in favor of 3D were from level with long 3D gimmicks, like City Escape's boarding and truck chase.

Why is 2D in a Sonic game a bad thing though?

I would love another 2D Sonic game.

Why is 2D in a Sonic game a bad thing though?

I would love another 2D Sonic game.

It's not, it's just that we want to see them nail a really great 3D Sonic. They can easily do 2D (well before Generations Classic Sonic and Sonic 4 that is), but their 3D has always been hit and miss.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not, it's just that we want to see them nail a really great 3D Sonic. They can easily do 2D (well before Generations Classic Sonic and Sonic 4 that is), but their 3D has always been hit and miss.

Well that's fair enough ;)

I'd like to see some good 2D Sonics too, but I want them to actually make good 3D games, instead of these patchwork hackjobs that use 2D to hide the fact that their 3D sucks.

I'd like to see some good 2D Sonics too, but I want them to actually make good 3D games, instead of these patchwork hackjobs that use 2D to hide the fact that their 3D sucks.

I wouldn't go that far with Generations. The 3D in Unleashed was terrible but there are many great 3D areas in Generations like Seaside Hill, Sky Sanctuary and Rooftop Run (trying to use a non-cliche here)

Some sections of those levels are okay. The majority suck.

I wouldn't say they downright suck though. Well ok Green Hill is terrible and Chemical Plant is a bit too linear.

I think the CIty Escape and Speed Highway 3D are good if too linear

Crisis City had good 3D sections it was the terrible 2D sections in that one

Planet Wisp had brilliant 3D sections and again it was the terrible 2D sections.

I don't really think it's fair to say the 3D in Generations utterly failed. Ok, yes I can admit it can get annoyingly corridor like but I think it's good on the whole. I also think it's by far the best Sonic has been in 3D.

I'm a bit of a Generations fangirl though as you've probably noticed xD

City Escape's 3D sections were almost entirely taken up by the very restrictive boarding section and the even more restrictive truck chase. The only remaining 3D is insignificant and bland.

Speed Highway's 3D has you spending too much time just boosting down a linear path. Significant chunks of it are just "here's a road, boost and drift through it".

Crisis City's first 3D section is generic platforming and homing attack chains. Homing attack chains suck and I can get better platforming in other games. And the last section is just boosting and quick stepping.

Planet Wisp barely has any 3D, and what it does have is flat and boring.

I also think it's by far the best Sonic has been in 3D.
Even if that's true it's still far below what this series could be doing.

City Escape's 3D sections were almost entirely taken up by the very restrictive boarding section and the even more restrictive truck chase. The only remaining 3D is insignificant and bland.

Speed Highway's 3D has you spending too much time just boosting down a linear path. Significant chunks of it are just "here's a road, boost and drift through it".

Crisis City's first 3D section is generic platforming and homing attack chains. Homing attack chains suck and I can get better platforming in other games. And the last section is just boosting and quick stepping.

Planet Wisp barely has any 3D, and what it does have is flat and boring.

Even if that's true it's still far below what this series could be doing.

The boarding sections were great :P ! Also there is only one 2D area in City Escape.

I wouldn't say the other areas are boring but then I guess it's all subjective.

The boarding sections were great tongue.png !
The boarding section is okay on its own, but it's a gimmick. If it were the only major gimmick of the level it'd be okay, but Modern City Escape is comprised of two gimmick sections and a 2D section, with barely any legit 3D. It's arguably worse than GHZ.

Also there is only one 2D area in City Escape.
Right, the entire middle section of the level. And there's only one 3D section of any worth, and it's shorter and crappier than the 2D section.

The boarding section is okay on its own, but it's a gimmick. If it were the only major gimmick of the level it'd be okay, but Modern City Escape is comprised of two gimmick sections and a 2D section, with barely any legit 3D. It's arguably worse than GHZ.

Right, the entire middle section of the level. And there's only one 3D section of any worth, and it's shorter and crappier than the 2D section.

Nah Green Hill is just terrible. City Escape is gimmicky I agree but it has something going on. Green Hill is just empty and nothing is there.

Besides, we are never going to agree on this are we :P

Let's eat cakes with tea :P

I'm sure that the next sonic game will probably be another cross-over or a hand-held only game. Or something for the launch of the WiiU.

Edited by Vanish

Seaside hill... I really don't see it. There are two big gimmicks, then there's that bit on the beach that goes straight for a few seconds, then there's a rectangle with poor camera angles.

I wouldn't go that far with Generations. The 3D in Unleashed was terrible but there are many great 3D areas in Generations like Seaside Hill, Sky Sanctuary and Rooftop Run (trying to use a non-cliche here)

I don't really see this either, my memory of Generations isn't perfect but they pretty much just traded straight lines for clumsy jumping that the controls weren't suited to in the first place. There's still a wedge between going fast and jumping on stuff and the game'a fundamental mechanics certainly don't help.

• Thumbs Up 1