Awoo.

Who else wants another game like Generations?

Bright Eyes

More Seaside Hill please. That level design NAILED IT.

That's the best we can hope for? It doesn't matter how many alternate paths it has, because I find myself using only the highest route in order to avoid the dull platforming (which feels more awkward thanks to Modern Sonic's jump, as Phos pointed out) that plagues the lower ones. Cannons can be very jarring, as they often interrupt the flow of the gameplay by flinging you out to a standstill. The cart section is very limited, while the turtle segment below mostly involves island hopping via monotonous homing attack chains. Much of the rest of the level consists of wide open spaces, like the one with the tumbling rocks (which are just for show, since you'd have to slow to a crawl to actually get it), that you simply boost your way through. I do enjoy bits and pieces of the level, but I disagree with the idea that it represents the kind of level design that all future stages should use.

I do enjoy Generations, but I am painfully aware of its limitations. Unfortunately it's the visual design, music and nostalgia that bring me back more than the gameplay itself. If I were to pick a level that I enjoy the most, it would be Sky Sanctuary, since it doesn't rely on a lot of 2D platforming and lackluster gimmicks. It could do with more fun level-specific gimmicks though, but so could the rest of the levels.

Edited by Pawn
  • Thumbs Up 1

In regards to Seaside Hill: haters gonna hate.

Joking :P

Well it's all subjective anyway. I do think Sonic handles a bit sluggish in Generations but that's down to the engine of the game rather than the level design.

I personally think the level design is top notch for any platformer on that level. It's very large and is not very linear so you can travel all over the level. I think it is really neat and it is by far the most expansive level in any 3D Sonic game.

I think it's great! Funny fact though: most of the critics hated Seaside Hill and preferred Modern Green Hill and Chemical Plant. Yeeeahh...no!

It saddens me that Chemical Plant is so limited. It's definitely my favourite Modern stage visually and musically but fails to impress with its linearity and overall simplistic level design. I love the part where you slide down the tube of chemicals, plummet to the floor and set off an alarm. It's also nice to see more curved geometry in a level too. It's just a shame that it all requires so little of the player.

Edited by Pawn

In regards to Seaside Hill: haters gonna hate.

Joking :P

Well it's all subjective anyway. I do think Sonic handles a bit sluggish in Generations but that's down to the engine of the game rather than the level design.

I personally think the level design is top notch for any platformer on that level. It's very large and is not very linear so you can travel all over the level. I think it is really neat and it is by far the most expansive level in any 3D Sonic game.

I think it's great! Funny fact though: most of the critics hated Seaside Hill and preferred Modern Green Hill and Chemical Plant. Yeeeahh...no!

Not very linear? Uh, how?

Didn't haters scare off Sega adding new playable characters besides Sonic, so now he's the only playable character we get these days?

Don't blame Sonic Team, blame the fans that caused it. But I do dream of a new Sonic game with around at least 4 playable characters.

Don't blame Sonic Team, blame the fans that caused it.
Don't blame the people who actually make the games, blame the people that got sick of putting up with their shit

yeah that's fucking brilliant dude

• Thumbs Up 4

More Seaside Hill please. That level design NAILED IT.

Don't know about nailed it, but most of it was good. Then the wall jumping room happened.

Didn't haters scare off Sega adding new playable characters besides Sonic, so now he's the only playable character we get these days?

It was a joint effort by critics and fans that were just plain tired of the alternate gameplay that came with them.

Edited by Balding Spider

Seaside Hill is not linear at all. You can literally go anywhere you can see.

Well, I guess you're looking at a hot wheels track, so I don't get how that's not linear.

While I liked what they did with Sonic Generations, I feel as though it would get old fast if they did it again so soon. It was mostly done as a celebration game, after all.

What I don't get, is why linear is considered a bad thing....

Being linear can feel restricted. That's one reason why it's bad.

Being linear can feel restricted. That's one reason why it's bad.
And it can be restrictive. The more linear the game, the less valid options in the player's hands. One of the big problems with the modern gameplay is that it tends towards just picking a path and taking the pass/fail obstacles as they come at you one at a time. The actions you can take and succeed in the level are for the most part limited to the few things the designers planned for you to do.
  • Thumbs Up 2