Awoo.

To Classic Fans: Is Sonic Generations worth buying?

BarleyFields

Unfortunately all of Sonic's games when he went 3D were terrible.

All of your credibility died with that sentence.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hey guys.

Just to let you know that BarelyFields isn't trolling. I know him in real life lol.

He's just been out of the Sonic fandom a while.

• Thumbs Up 5

Unfortunately all of Sonic's games when he went 3D were terrible.

I've heard from friends that all the games have been terrible up until Sonic Generations.

I personally think you should try them out first and judge them for yourself before saying all Sonic 3D games are terrible.

Edited by Red Rocking Wisp

From what I've read, you should go for it, it seems like you would enjoy it, but try the demo out first.

B-but I liked Black Knight :<

IT WAS A JOKE >:I

I don't know how he loses all his credibility when he says Sonic went bad after he went 3D. I mean, come on, this is a common thinking behind many classic fans and gaming journalists alike. Sonic Adventure and SA2 today really aren't that great when compared to other games. Sonic Heroes is still picked on today. Shadow the Hedgehog/Sonic 06 are some of the worst rated games. Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Riders added further to the dump pile. I'm sure he hasn't played some of the newer games (Colors), so I'll give him a pass on that.

Now, the games might not be terrible (or yes) but they were definitely a jump in quality from the classic games. Could this big jump be defined as terrible? I guess. It isn't an uncommon opinion and I see it all the time. Not many besides Sonic fans defend a majority of the 3D games. Maybe Adventure but that is about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I was also going to say that, AutoSaver. This guy just represents the visions of most people outside the fanbase, and I don't see what's inherently wrong with him not being "in the know" or whatever about Sonic's true mechanics, especially considering the way the games were marketed in America. This is all explained in the video I posted on the last page.

To be honest Sonic Adventure is a poor game. It has a terrible camera, too many of Sonic's friends (much of whom aren't focused on speed), borin hub worlds, terrible voice acting, lazy game design as characters share bosses and levels, poor story and bad controls.

So yeah I'd say it's pretty bad :P

In my opinion? Yes.

Dio just has very specific views about what Sonic should be, and is very passionate about them, so it's definitely not the majority opinion if that makes you feel any better.

And considering what you like about Sonic, then yes you should definitely give it a go.

By the way guys I just played the Sonic Generations demo! I'm very impressed.

Classic Sonic was just like Sonic 2 Sonic although the backgrounds were a bit cluttered and confusing.

Modern Sonic was AWESOME! The boost is really cool and it's even faster than Sonic 2! Is the whole game as fast as Green Hill? This is what Sonic should be all about!

By the way guys I just played the Sonic Generations demo! I'm very impressed.

Classic Sonic was just like Sonic 2 Sonic although the backgrounds were a bit cluttered and confusing.

Modern Sonic was AWESOME! The boost is really cool and it's even faster than Sonic 2! Is the whole game as fast as Green Hill? This is what Sonic should be all about!

The whole game is not as fast as Green Hill, no. There are places in the levels that you can go as fast as you did in Green Hill, but not the whole level. Kinda what the classics are like actually.

Edited by Zero

The whole game is not as fast as Green Hill, no. There are places in the levels that you can go as fast as you did in Green Hill, but not the whole game. Kinda what the classics are like actually.

Finally a Sonic game where you can just run and run! A lot of the obstacles like spikes are gone in the 3D too which means there's no reason to stop running!

I'm impressed with SEGA.

Generations was really great so you should try it and hope you like it. Albeit you can't simply "run and run" though, it's an equilibrated mix of both.

IT WAS A JOKE >:I

it was a horrible joke, 2/10 would not laugh

You know who needs to talk in this topic? Steve. Why? His review will just about answer all of the question in the OP and make him learn more.

In case you don't want to wait for him, go Youtube and search for 'balenaproductions'. Look at both/one of his Sonic Generations reviews.

(Sorry, I am on my phone and so can't link the video.)

You know who needs to talk in this topic? Steve. Why? His review will just about answer all of the question in the OP and make him learn more.

In case you don't want to wait for him, go Youtube and search for 'balenaproductions'. Look at both/one of his Sonic Generations reviews.

(Sorry, I am on my phone and so can't link the video.)

Ehhhhhhhh, other than the fact that he thinks Generations is a good game, I can't say I agree most of the other stuff he said.

• Thumbs Up 4

To be honest Sonic Adventure is a poor game. It has a terrible camera, too many of Sonic's friends (much of whom aren't focused on speed), borin hub worlds, terrible voice acting, lazy game design as characters share bosses and levels, poor story and bad controls.

So yeah I'd say it's pretty bad tongue.png

Most of these do have reasons and from one of said reasons I guess you don't really like sonic's friends.

Most of these do have reasons and from one of said reasons I guess you don't really like sonic's friends.

Sonic's friends are pretty dumb to be honest.

I'll tell you one thing about whether if you should buy Generations or not.

No.

Terrible physics, tired-out boost to win, overpowered spin dash for Classic Sonic, usual Monster Of The Week final boss fight Super Sonic (Quite possibly the worst in the series).

If you want a good Sonic game, stay away from this and keep playing the classics.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is kinda hypocritical coming from me, but when you state an assumption, like you did about the "all 3D Sonic games/ all Sonic games after Genesis was crap" in your OP, you REALLY want to at the very least post a good reasoning behind your assumptions, or you are just asking to be pounced on.

We don't mind differing opinions as long as there is a good reason placed with those opinions (Kinda like Diogenes'... scary passionate reasoning for his dislike of the current 3D Sonic Gameplay).

Back to the question at hand, it really depends on what you are looking for. If you don't mind Classic Sonic being slightly off in terms of physics, and you like the current Modern Sonic gameplay and the level design, then by all means you should get it.

Although a quick warning: The story is REALLY sloppy, and it feels like they cut out big chunks of it for no apparent reason other than to play safe, and the other characters, unfortunately mirroring Sonic 06 to some degree, generally do absolutely nothing of note.

Sonic's friends are pretty dumb to be honest.

Well, they're not going anywhere anytime soon so long as they have fans, so better get used to them.

I'll tell you one thing about whether if you should buy Generations or not.

No.

Terrible physics, tired-out boost to win, overpowered spin dash for Classic Sonic, usual Monster Of The Week final boss fight Super Sonic (Quite possibly the worst in the series).

If you want a good Sonic game, stay away from this and keep playing the classics.

I just played the demo and think you are completely wrong.

The physics are fine but even so that's not a big deal.

Boost is the best part of the game so that comment is really weird. You don't like the game because it's fast? That's what Sonic games are all about: speed and more speed!

It's good that the spindash has been made more powerful. It stops the interruptions in the otherwise fast paced action.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just gonna throw it out there that, Sonic games aren't just all about speed... It's about a careful mix of platforming, speed and exploration.

As a self proclaimed classic fan? Buy it. Just er. Avoid Sonic 4.

• Thumbs Up 2

Boost is the best part of the game so that comment is really weird. You don't like the game because it's fast? That's what Sonic games are all about: speed and more speed!

To be fair, in the eyes of the more passionate people who delved into the mechanics of Classic Sonic like Diogenes, you've probably just set off one hell of a powder keg.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just gonna throw it out there that, Sonic games aren't just all about speed... It's about a careful mix of platforming, speed and exploration.

As a self proclaimed classic fan? Buy it. Just er. Avoid Sonic 4.

There is a bit of platforming in Sonic 2 but it's really run from A to B and do a bit of platforming to make the game more interesting. The game was primarilly about speed.

And Sonic 2 was the best Sonic game.

There is a bit of platforming in Sonic 2 but it's really run from A to B and do a bit of platforming to make the game more interesting. The game was primarilly about speed.

And Sonic 2 was the best Sonic game.

I actually think Sonic 3&K was the best Sonic game, personally. Took everything about Sonic 2 and made it even better.