Awoo.

To Classic Fans: Is Sonic Generations worth buying?

BarleyFields

And I think that's actually underestimating it considering that they tend to bring themselves out in the open.

I said sensible, darnit! tongue.png

Edited by Soma

I'll tell you right here, comrade: Even if you can't see the value in things like the Adventure games or Unleashed, there are a lot of people who think they're better than the sum of their parts (though this goes more for Unleashed than Adventure, but whatever). Sure the Adventure games were convoluted and stuffed with gameplay that was rather out of place, but they were pretty charming in that sort of B-movie sense, and although they've aged quite a bit they still entertain quite a few people today. And though I personally don't like Unleashed, it was the first game that gave us that Generations gameplay you see now, so it's not all that bad. Even if they aren't quite as excellent as the Classic games, they're not all that bad, so people will generally be divided on their quality.

Heroes is pretty divisive, but there are generally a couple people who think they got a few things right.

With Shadow and Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, though... finding a sensible fan of those ones is as finding a needle in a haystack.

I hope that helps a bit with getting re-situated.

I have to be honest with Adventure because it is poorly made for all the reasons I listed before. Even if you just want to say technically it's not great.

Sonic Heroes was not awful (it was better than Adventure) but it wasn't really up to scratch. I would consider Heroes to be, by far, the best 3D Sonic game out of the ones except Generations.

I've never played Unleashed properly but I have played with the Werehog and that was terrible to me merely because it was so similar to God Of War but not as good.

I have to be honest with Adventure because it is poorly made for all the reasons I listed before. Even if you just want to say technically it's not great.

Yeah, many of us know that now. But even when we know that, we still find them fun sometimes for nostalgia sake. We found them great before they aged and fell short of what we originally thought of them.

I've never played Unleashed properly but I have played with the Werehog and that was terrible to me merely because it was so similar to God Of War but not as good.

If you haven't played Unleashed outside of the Werehog stages, you are in no place to judge the game as a whole. It was the game that gave us Modern Sonic as we know it in Generations.

Not that that'll impress Diogenes, but I was never afraid of him. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Heroes was not awful (it was better than Adventure) but it wasn't really up to scratch. I would consider Heroes to be, by far, the best 3D Sonic game out of the ones except Generations.

Oh no, I wasn't trying to argue with your assessment of the games. I was just explaining the general fan-consensus on them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well fans can like something even if they know the game is terrible I know that. I like some games that are terrible merely because they are interesting.

Even still though you have to admith that the game is not up to standard. I know what you are getting at though tongue.png

Besides Soon I shall get Generations because I've ordered it on Amazon!

Should I get Sonic 4:Episode 1? I'm downloading the demo for it.

Edited by BarleyFields

I'm sorry guys but you have to remember I have been out of this fanbase for a while and I just assumed everyone wouldn't like Sonic's friends.

It's like the way you would assume people wouldn't like the Matrix sequels or the Star Wars prequels. You'll just have to bear with me getting used to the fanbase again.

And in relation to the friends. I have a bit of a soft spot or Tails but otherwise nope. I don't like any of them.

Stop assuming things, man. Everyone likes different things, there are people that like 3D Sonic games, there are people who liked the Star Wars prequels (I enjoyed them a bit myself) and there are people who like the Matrix sequels. To automatically assume that nobody likes them just because of the majority's opinion, is a good way of getting people angry at you. Don't jump to conclusions and try to think about how people would react before posting.

But anyways, seeing as how you've played the demo and enjoyed it, I'd say give the full game a go. I haven't played much of generations, but if you really enjoyed it, then yeah go for it.

Edited by Lyra Heartstrings
  • Thumbs Up 2

Also I've just seen Sonic CD (what's that I have literally never heard of it) and Sonic and Knuckles which I vaguely remember from my childhood.

I'm thinking of buying one for when I wait for Sonic Gens. Which would you reccommend?

It depends. Most Classic fans hate the crap outta that one, but I don't know if their reasons for doing so will bother you or not. I guess give the demo a shot and see how you like it.

It depends. Most Classic fans hate the crap outta that one, but I don't know if their reasons for doing so will bother you or not. I guess give the demo a shot and see how you like it.

I've decided to get Sonic CD or Knuckles merely because they look more interesting and if I get 4 I will be up to date with the story.

Also I've just seen Sonic CD (what's that I have literally never heard of it) and Sonic and Knuckles which I vaguely remember from my childhood.

I'm thinking of buying one for when I wait for Sonic Gens. Which would you reccommend?

Sonic and Knuckles its faster and not as blocky.

I was going to suggest this. You'll love the game! Rolling is useless, there's no sense of realism in the physics, there's barely any platforming, most of the game is just running to the right! Perfect for you!

I was going to suggest this. You'll love the game! Rolling is useless, there's no sense of realism in the physics, there's barely any platforming, most of the game is just running to the right! Perfect for you!

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be funny.

I played the demo and it was terrible but not because of rolling. Sonic jumped with moon gravity, it had poor controls and the graphics sucked.

The 'rolling' is the least of the game's worries.

I've decided to get Sonic CD or Knuckles merely because they look more interesting and if I get 4 I will be up to date with the story.

To be honest, Sonic 4 doesn't have a story to continue.

It seems like 1 day Eggman thought it would be a great idea to retry all of his plans from 1, 2, 3, and Knuckles.

I played the demo and it was terrible but not because of rolling. Sonic jumped with moon gravity, it had poor controls and the graphics sucked.

...and that's why people don't like it.

You should try Episode 2. It's still not perfect but it's much better than Episode 1

but then again I actually like both episodes of Sonic 4 so yah

Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

You should try Episode 2. It's still not perfect but it's much better than Episode 1

I personally can't even arse myself to finish the damn game because of how awful it is. I could at least accomplish that with Episode 1 and 100% it while I was at it.

Edited by Pinkamina

Well fans can like something even if they know the game is terrible I know that. I like some games that are terrible merely because they are interesting.

Even still though you have to admith that the game is not up to standard. I know what you are getting at though tongue.png

I mean no disrespect, but please don't go around saying things like this. Most fans who enjoy Sonic Adventure 1, 2 and Heroes at least find these games genuinely good in some way. Sure, they haven't aged the best (and I'm far from a fan of Heroes myself) and definitely have flaws (some of which you pointed out), but they, as well as Unleashed - heck, especially Unleashed - do have valid merits, which would be on the grounds for considering them good.

Well, gee, that's kind of uncalled for...

• Thumbs Up 3

Ehhhhhhhh, other than the fact that he thinks Generations is a good game, I can't say I agree most of the other stuff he said.

I wouldn't agree either but it seems the OP would have prolly the similar opinions.

OK so this is coming from a fan of all 3 gameplay styles (sonic 1-3+k, sonic adventure, and boost to win modern (my least favorite gameplay style)), I also liked heroes, and sonic unleashed is a must buy for speed, OMG that game is soooooooooo fast, but way too hard to control, werehog levels are decent (in the HD console version, do not buy unwiished (unless you want to); anyways I'm getting ahead if myself. Yes buy generations, but be warned if you buy it on a console you will beat the game in 3 hours and run out if things to do. 3ds: I wouldn't recommend it by a long shot PC=console versions definitely buy this one you get mods, and custom levels. Now if you're seriously on the fence go download the demo. Forget the shallow story and the worst final boss ever (except in the 3ds version).

Edited by Chaos the destroyer

Why do so many of you guys beat the game in 3 or so hours?

It might be the completion-ist in me, but simply playing all the missions (instead of the bare minimum) pads the game out to at least 6 or 7 hours.

Sure its gonna be short if you just nab the 3 missions for a boss key an move on. Your leaving a ton of content on the table and complaining about it being too short. That makes no sense. Its like putting in the time for an epic RPG and skipping all the sidequests. That's 75% of the game your missing out on right there.

I think this guy is genuine. I remember I had a lot of assumptions about the fandom when I first joined a Sonic related forum on the internet. After verbally getting my teeth kicked in I realised that my preconceptions were silly, and that I should just focus on my own opinions instead of trying to preach to a choir that was on a completely different book of verses.

Anyway, if Sonic Generations isn't a good enough game to give the franchise another try, then it's probably time to just leave Sonic alone and try some Zelda, or Metroid, or Batman, or hey I've heard great stuff about this Borderlands 2 game!

Lol that was me at one point, before I even had any forum accounts and yards yards...stuff.

Why do so many of you guys beat the game in 3 or so hours?

It might be the completion-ist in me, but simply playing all the missions (instead of the bare minimum) pads the game out to at least 6 or 7 hours.

Sure its gonna be short if you just nab the 3 missions for a boss key an move on. Your leaving a ton of content on the table and complaining about it being too short. That makes no sense. Its like putting in the time for an epic RPG and skipping all the sidequests. That's 75% of the game your missing out on right there.

Yah that's true, plus I spoiled the game :(

In terms of Generations' side-quests, they just weren't all that alluring to me. Unlike RPGs and even Unleashed, where there's some kind of narrative or world-building hook to further influence you to try the side-quests, such as an NPC asking for your help or promising you some prize to help, Generations' missions feel like they're there just because. There's no incentive for me to play them. I'm also not much of a completionist with most of my games anyway. xP

With regards to the classic fans, Generations is a decent buy. You DO have classic sonic, but you dont. Sure classic still has his spin jump and spin dash but it wasnt desinged for the classic gameplay. The classic gameplay had a large emphases on using rolling to increase your momentem, so broken rolling=no realy classic sonic. I personally didnt mind it, but it really bugs me that Sonic 4 Ep. 2 for all things has working rolling but Generations dosent.

In terms of Generations' side-quests, they just weren't all that alluring to me. Unlike RPGs and even Unleashed, where there's some kind of narrative or world-building hook to further influence you to try the side-quests, such as an NPC asking for your help or promising you some prize to help, Generations' missions feel like they're there just because. There's no incentive for me to play them. I'm also not much of a completionist with most of my games anyway. xP

But every single mission in Generations unlocked something. Be it more music for you collection, some concept art of the stages or even upgrade boosters for your character. What more incentive do you need?

I personally felt a desire to play them because there were a few hidden gems in there. That one where you surfboard across rooftop run is an absolute blast.

• Thumbs Up 3

If Classic fans who haven't played Sonic since Adventure want Generations, then they might not get what they're looking for.

Edited by CrashTheHedgehog100