Awoo.

To Classic Fans: Is Sonic Generations worth buying?

BarleyFields

Why do so many of you guys beat the game in 3 or so hours?

It might be the completion-ist in me, but simply playing all the missions (instead of the bare minimum) pads the game out to at least 6 or 7 hours.

Sure its gonna be short if you just nab the 3 missions for a boss key an move on. Your leaving a ton of content on the table and complaining about it being too short. That makes no sense. Its like putting in the time for an epic RPG and skipping all the sidequests. That's 75% of the game your missing out on right there.

When people say the game is short, they mean they want more "main" content. Granted, the missions in Generations are practically mini-levels in themselves, but they're still all very different and gimmicky compared to the "proper" levels.

Better than the rest of the game

Ha

Finally a Sonic game where you can just run and run! A lot of the obstacles like spikes are gone in the 3D too which means there's no reason to stop running!

I'm impressed with SEGA.

If you just want to see Sonic run, just stare at this gif for a few hours and save a few bucks:

Sonic-running.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm a Classic fan who has only seemed to have developed strong bonds with the classic games, I really don't consider the rest of the games to be of any value.

I found Generations to be quite enjoyable, it did what it tried to do just fine - i.e. being a birthday cake, and it turned out rather delicious.

I don't know why some of you guys are making constant fun about the fact Sonic is fast. That's the whole point of Sonic: that's where he gets his name from!

If Sonic is slow it ruins the whole game in the same way Mario's games would be ruined if he had terrible platforming controls.

Anyway, I thought Generations was the best Sonic game since Sonic 2. I've ordered it from Amazon and it will come sometime this week :)

People feel as if the point of Sonic games, at least classic ones, is to utilize platforming and Sonic's ability to roll to gain speed either as a way to bypass obstacles or as an inherent reward for playing properly. To say "Sonic is all about speed" makes people think you're ignoring the platforming element of the games, and that sentiment regularly doesn't go unchallenged around here.

You really should take it upon yourself to get a bit more acquainted with some of the current discussion points by reading some topics and see how much certain notions about the franchise may have changed since you've been gone, because it's clear there's a disconnect as a result of your absence from the community and people are probably not going to explain things like this to you kindly.

• Thumbs Up 3

People feel as if the point of Sonic games, at least classic ones, is to utilize platforming and Sonic's ability to roll to gain speed either as a way to bypass obstacles or as an inherent reward for playing properly. To say "Sonic is all about speed" makes people think you're ignoring the platforming element of the games, and that sentiment regularly doesn't go unchallenged around here.

You really should take it upon yourself to get a bit more acquainted with some of the current discussion points by reading some topics and see how much certain notions about the franchise may have changed since you've been gone, because it's clear there's a disconnect as a result of your absence from the community and people are probably not going to explain things like this to you kindly.

Oh yeah I know there is platforming in Sonic but in Sonic 2 (for example) most of the best parts of the game were the fast platforming where you could do platforming but still keep speeding.

Haha classic blast processing.

I'm sorry guys but you have to remember I have been out of this fanbase for a while and I just assumed everyone wouldn't like Sonic's friends.

It's like the way you would assume people wouldn't like the Matrix sequels or the Star Wars prequels. You'll just have to bear with me getting used to the fanbase again.

I think that in most cases, the common ideas about the good and the bad about a particular franchise that exist among people in general does not actually corespond that well with what the core fanbase for that franchise thinks. I think that most commonly, this difference in opinion is of the kind that something that is regarded as utter crap by most people in general is regarded with (either only somewhat or a lot) more positivity by the fanbase. And Sonics supporting cast is a good example of this. Most people outside the fanbase who even have an opinion on Sonics supporting cast have a very negative opinion of them, while the majority of fans on the other hand like a lot of those characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have played them and I do know what Sonic is about: speed.

So please don't judge me.

Sorry dude but Sonic isn't a racing game, it's more than just speed and running. it's a platformer at its core and physics and movement play a HUGE part in this franchise

Edited by Megabox!

• 7 years later...
On 9/25/2012 at 1:56 PM, batson said:

I think that in most cases, the common ideas about the good and the bad about a particular franchise that exist among people in general does not actually corespond that well with what the core fanbase for that franchise thinks. I think that most commonly, this difference in opinion is of the kind that something that is regarded as utter crap by most people in general is regarded with (either only somewhat or a lot) more positivity by the fanbase. And Sonics supporting cast is a good example of this. Most people outside the fanbase who even have an opinion on Sonics supporting cast have a very negative opinion of them, while the majority of fans on the other hand like a lot of those characters.

Well said my Mecha comrade. 

Man, I dunno why this thread was resurrected but skimming through it, we really dog-piled the OP pretty unnecessarily 8 years ago (different climate in the fanbase though and we were all 8 years less mature I guess). I'm kinda curious if they enjoyed the full game in the end and whether they checked out and/or enjoyed Colours/Forces after beginning their love affair with boost gameplay lol.

On 8/29/2020 at 10:42 AM, JezMM said:

Man, I dunno why this thread was resurrected but skimming through it, we really dog-piled the OP pretty unnecessarily 8 years ago (different climate in the fanbase though and we were all 8 years less mature I guess). I'm kinda curious if they enjoyed the full game in the end and whether they checked out and/or enjoyed Colours/Forces after beginning their love affair with boost gameplay lol.

The OP is Bright Eyes/Laura/Plasme/Twister. A troll with a rather sad vendetta against SSMB, who's actually a pretty cool person elsewhere in the community but just wants to stir up drama on SSMB with every alt account they cook up. We fell for it with this thread, and have done so several times over.

• Absolutely 1

On 8/30/2020 at 3:57 PM, Blue Blood said:

The OP is Bright Eyes/Laura/Plasme/Twister. A troll with a rather sad vendetta against SSMB, who's actually a pretty cool person elsewhere in the community but just wants to stir up drama on SSMB with every alt account they cook up. We fell for it with this thread, and have done so several times over.

They were also fairly toxic on the SEGA Forum, if I can recall correctly. In hindsight, Boost wore out its welcome fairly quickly, especially due to the limited level design. 

OOOOOOH! so THIS was the user Indigo was talking about! I never knew, I thought twister was just a regular die-hard sa2 fan who just joined, but now with this in the canon: we got the classic cuck who can't understand the world "roll," the feminist who tries to be intentionally funny (and FAILS), the anonymous person that I know Jack about, the unleashed hater, and now the sa2 fangirl who CAN'T SHUT UP ABOUT IT even for fifteen seconds...…what? anyways, I'm scared for what this guy will become next, if he ever does come ba- wait just a second... titan is there something you're hiding to us?!