Awoo.

Marvel Comics Ends: The Amazing Spiderman, X-Men, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk, Fantastic Four and... pretty much everything...

Badnik Mechanic

Marvel Comics have announced that they are ending almost it's entire current publication run and rebranding it from issue #1.

mu8pko.gif

I don't follow Marvel Comics that much anymore, but this year for their big event they've been doing 'avengers Vs Xmen, don't ask me to explain what it's about because I've no idea, in fact even wikipedia couldn't give me a clear answer either.

However following that comic book a series of changes will happen to the marvel universe as a whole. Before the year is over, Marvel Comics is going to launch it's new series called 'Marvel Now' which is basically, the answer to DC's Universe reboot. THIS DOES NOT MEAN IT IS A REBOOT!

How are they going to do this? By cancelling nearly their entire major comic line. And we're not just talking about new revamped comics that have only had about 20-50 issues. Included in the cut is the Fantastic Four (ends on issue 611), The invincible Iron Man (ends on issue 527) and The Amazing Spiderman which will end on issue 700.

The full list of comics which are coming to an can be found over at wikipedia of all places (so no idea if thats all varified and what-have-you.)

Now it isn't 'the end' for these series, a number of them will be re-launched/re-booted under the 'Marvel Now' lable. The initial titles include... "All New X-men" "Iron Man" "Indestructible Hulk" and... oddly... "Captain America"

Yes... Captain America has been canceled and will be replaced by... Captain America? Well ok then. I mean they've also applied this to the Fantastic Four, Avengers and Deadpool so why not?

The re-branding effectively ends every comic's current run, come october the comics will all reset back to issue 1. If their continuity is intact remains to be seen (from all reports it is going to remain). If you remember DC rebooted their universe last year and saw a huge increase in sales from it, so it looks like Marvel is trying something similar with this.

So... thoughts on if this gamble will pay off?

Source: Comic book resource.

Source 2

If this means that One More Day will somehow stop existing then I'm all for it I guess.

Im not really all that tied to Marvel's IPs besides Spider Man anyway.

• Thumbs Up 4

Im not really all that tied to Marvel's IPs besides Spider Man anyway.

Ah well... Spiderman is not getting a new series after his cancellation... at least not a solo one anyway.

If this means that One More Day will somehow stop existing then I'm all for it I guess

I'm not sure it is. When I first read the story I thought 'it's a reboot?' however from the looks of things it's more a 're-branding' though depending where you visit, some places say some characters are getting the reboot, others are not.

For instance, just because Spiderman 700 is the last one, doesn't mean come 'Marvel now issue 1' doesn't mean those 700 issues were a waste, that history is still active/live.

I'll just add this to the thread.

http://comicbook.com...ng-prematurely/

Stan Lee may not be appearing at the Wizard World Ohio convention, or at the Authors! Authors! festival he was set to appear at during the same time period, but his Twitter account didn’t go dark on Sunday, retweeting a message from Todd McFarlane as well as posting a photograph of Lee with Supernatural star Micha Collins, complete with a joke about wanting a cameo on the popular CW series.

When an 89-year-old man, especially one who means a lot to a great number of people, abruptly cancels a number of plans, it’s natural for people to assume the worst–but so far, there’s nothing to suggest that Lee is in poor health, that anything has happened to his immediate family or any of the other worst-case scenarios fans have been imagining for the last couple of days.

In Wizard World’s words, the organization“were informed by Stan Lee’s management that Stan would be unable to attend any upcoming appearances for the near future.” That’s a nicely vague sentiment, one that allows for a lot of interpretation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Stan do a lot of the writing for some of the comics?

Edited by 2-Dollar Solkia

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Stan do a lot of the writing for some of the comics?

Nope he is really more of a figure head now, I think the last thing he did was that re-imagining of DC heroes.....which was something he did for DC.

I have to admit, I am a bit concerned for Stan Lee, but hey, he's 89. Nothing can last forever, after all. :<

As for the rebranding thing...comics do this every once in a while (rebrand and "start over" with #1 even if they keep the same continuity), but I guess doing it for all of their series is surprising. I assume Spider-Man is obviously going to have a new series, but I have to wonder what it will entail. If they are keeping with the old continuity, this probably means One More Day still happened. So uh...yay?

I assume/hope Ultimate Spider-Man is unaffected by this. If not, I can imagine Joe Quesada smiling smugly, twirling his evil mustache as all the Spidey fans who told themselves "Well, at least Ultimate Spidey is still good!" have their hopes and dreams crushed mercilessly. *cough*

Guess who just became a DC fan?

Despite the fact that DC did an actual re-boot of all it's titles a couple of months back (mostly for the worst), while this is just a re-branding?

If this means that One More Day will somehow stop existing then I'm all for it I guess.

Well, Spidey's back to being un-attached and MJ still loves Peter, so hopefully they'll eventually patch things up. Doesn't make up for Spiderman doing a deal with Mephisto, but damage control is always a welcome thing.

Edited by Gerkuman

This is heart breaking for me. I personally love Marvel and have grown up with them for 8 years now. I just got into the Marvel Vs Capcom series and was a huge Marvel nut when I was 8. Spider-Man is my personal favorite of the heroes and learning this is a terrible discovery. However, I don't read the comics, but will start soon. Marvel, you will ways have a special place in my life.

Also, first Nintendo Power, now this. This is hurting me.

PS:

This theme will remain in my soul forever.

Edited by Gen-Kun

I give it three months (six months max). I've seen more blatant publicity stunts in comic books, but very few that were this wide-reaching.

Did not see Ultimate Spider-man in there so I could give less of a fuck.

It's alright, but Spider-Man seems very Deadpoolish by breaking the 4th wall a good bit.

Having Drake Bell voice Spidey was a very odd decision since I never expected that to happen. Personally, I would have had the guy from MvC3 do it.

I still love Chibi Spidey! XD

Rebranding might seem risky, but I can't see this hurting Marvel. I mean, they sell bucket loads of comics, so as long as the name has Marvel in it and they keep doing issues for most of their popular characters, then they should be okay.

Wow, I didn't know Stan Lee was 89. Hope he's in good health.

It's alright, but Spider-Man seems very Deadpoolish by breaking the 4th wall a good bit.

Having Drake Bell voice Spidey was a very odd decision since I never expected that to happen. Personally, I would have had the guy from MvC3 do it.

I still love Chibi Spidey! XD

Talkin about the comics man.

• Thumbs Up 2

Talkin about the comics man.

*Facepalm*

Of course, what the hell was I thinking? :/ *Slaps self for that*

I've read a few comics, and from what I read, it's alright. I can say the game is great, but yeah...

Never mind. Sorry everyone. *Shot*

You act like they just didn't pull the same thing about a year ago.

I know, just... grr. I need to express my anger about this somehow. : /

So basically, Marvel is pulling a DC "The New 52" as well and are rebooting their franchises?

Doesn't sound like a bad idea to be honest, it seems to be working for DC at least in some parts.

So basically, Marvel is pulling a DC "The New 52" as well and are rebooting their franchises?

Doesn't sound like a bad idea to be honest, it seems to be working for DC at least in some parts.

Depends on what you mean by working. In sales sure, but in quality alot of books are stinking. Though New 52 did make Aquaman and Wonder Woman into interesting and well written characters with pretty good stories.

But anyway I can't wait to see how they mess up the costumes this time around. I already don't like Cap's new one.

Read Red Hood and the Outlaws and come back and say that again.

No really, it has to be the worst comic series that I've ever read because it embodies everything that is wrong with comic books today.

Honestly, this reboot means nothing because all of the good Marvel writers are writing for Ultimate so it matters not what they do. As long as Quesada and Loeb are around, the inmates are still running the asylum.

GO MILES MORALES!

• Thumbs Up 2

Read Red Hood and the Outlaws and come back and say that again.

No really, it has to be the worst comic series that I've ever read because it embodies everything that is wrong with comic books today.

Oh don't even get me started on that. I got family that loved that Teen Titans cartoon and most notably the shows portrayal of Starfire, I still count my lucky stars that they havent read that book because I don't know how I'd explain Starfire sluting it up and wanting to screw any human because they all resemble shaved cat's to her.

Then there's this little beauty:

amethyst-preview.jpg

This is Amethyst princess of gemworld. This book is written by the same woman who gave us Gem, and wrote for GI Joe, an the G1 Transformers. This is also DC's attempt at getting more young female readers interested in the DC universe.

This book also has a crew of guys attempting to gang-rape a girl. Dammit DC.

Edited by Balding Spider

Oh don't even get me started on that. I got family that loved that Teen Titans cartoon and most notably the shows portrayal of Starfire, I still count my lucky stars that they havent read that book because I don't know how I'd explain Starfire sluting it up and wanting to screw any human because they all resemble shaved cat's to her.

Then there's this little beauty:

amethyst-preview.jpg

This is Amethyst princess of gemworld. This book is written by the same woman who gave us Gem, and wrote for GI Joe, an the G1 Transformers. This is also DC's attempt at getting more young female readers interested in the DC universe.

This book also has a crew of guys attempting to gang-rape a girl. Dammit DC.

I take it back. No amount of Marvel stupidity can make me a DC fan. It's just impossible.

Haven't been keeping up with current Marvel comics in quite some time, because I honestly just don't care anymore. I love re-reading older stuff (particularly Spider-Man from 1963 to about, oh, 1990-ish) but Marvel these days just feels tired. Every year, they build up to some huge super special crossover event that will CHANGE THE MARVEL UNIVERSE FOREVER!!! And then all the "long-lasting effects" are completely forgotten about in favor of the next huge super special crossover event that will CHANGE THE MARVEL UNIVERSE FOREVER!!!

When that doesn't work, they decide to garner attention by killing off a major character. What's that, Captain America and Professor X have both died 30,000 times each already, thus ensuring nobody will ever feel a twinge of emotion when they do it again? Well then, this time they will kill them off FOREVER!!! No, seriously. Hey, stop laughing! They mean it this time, okay? They're not just going to bring the character back six months later because he was really hit with a time bullet that sent him traveling throughout the entirety of time and space or some really stupid, convoluted explanation like that. This time they're really, REALLY going to stay dea- oh crap, they just begun production on the character's movie! Better bring them back so they can sell some comics on the back of its inevitable hype train!

So uh...yeah. If anything, this relaunch is probably a step in the right direction. I would say they should just reboot everything, only that's what Ultimate Marvel is for. The problem is, aside from Spider-Man they kind of drove that into the ground with Ultimatum.

Edited by Original Character Blonic