Awoo.

Sonic and the Children

CrownSlayers Shadow

Pretty much everything that was done in Shadow the Hedgehog, honestly.

Specifically?

Because while Shadow had Guns, Cussing, and an overly dark tone, it also had a military, aliens, end of the world stuff, and various other things that one could say isn't too far out of any series grasp. A lot of which is stuff that has been done before in more than just Sonic alone.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Specifically?

Because while Shadow had Guns, Cussing, and an overly dark tone, it also had a military, aliens, end of the world stuff, and various other things that one could say isn't too far out of any series grasp. A lot of which is stuff that has been done before in more than just Sonic alone.

If I had to say something, I'd say just about anything is fair game for Sonic to attempt to some degree. The only problem is that the people who are attempting it have difficulty even writing a basic story decently the good majority of the time, or are too scared to do so for fear of the backlash.

Basically put, Sonic Team needs good writers and a thicker spine, or this junk is going to keep on going until we're all 6 feet below ground.

I actually think the series should go back to a darker tone much like in SA2, Shadow, and even 06. Most fans out there in fact prefer a darker tone. Have you seen the dozens of sad Sonic tributes? Or the fanfics which kill Robotnik? Also, mainstream gamers like dark so double score.

Edited by miru

For me, it's not about the subjects in themselves, but simply how they go about it.

Things like alien invasions, mysteries, armageddon and all that aren't the problem. The problem is making them every bit as - to put it bluntly - "real" as they would be in reality. That's not an entirely accurate or even correct way of putting it, but hopefully you get what I mean.

I actually think the series should go back to a darker tone much like in SA2, Shadow, and even 06. Most fans out there in fact prefer a darker tone. Have you seen the dozens of sad Sonic tributes? Or the fanfics which kill Robotnik? Also, mainstream gamers like dark so double score.

Why is that consider a good thing?

• Thumbs Up 4

No sex or relationship crap. That's all really. I think Sonic's current level of storytelling doesn't do him justice. Maybe not Batman levels of dark, or South Park levels of "maturity", but at least just man up and accept Sonic and silly-willy, non-existent stories a good idea does not make. I'm not saying Eggman should stab Tails or anything, but god, the series needs to grow up not only past childishness but past weird-as-hell grimdark... Find the friggin' medium...

• Thumbs Up 2

Legend of Korra? Children? Ha. haha.

I think Sonic should just stick to the Unleashed style plots. Not the overdramatic 06 bullshit, but not the nobody gives a fuck about anything Sonic Colors style either. It should have actual steaks, but not to the point of 06 or SA2. It should be accessible for all ages but it shouldn't treat everyone like 3 year olds.

• Thumbs Up 3

...You know, I am almost convinced by this point that you are deliberately trolling everyone with your posts.

Also,"most fans" doesn't really exist as far as I'm concerned, because we all have different views on how Sonic should be approached.

Edited by Forten Neintiinain
  • Thumbs Up 1

Legend of Korra? Children? Ha. haha.

Well since it's on Nickelodeon on a time slot where children usually up watching cartoon, uh yeah? It's not like teenagers and adults can't watch it, but children watch it too if that wasn't obvious enough.

Well, most of the ones I see on the Internet seem to be.

I've encountered grown ass men who are dumber. laugh.png

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

It should have actual steaks,

Sonic could definitely use more REAL cooked meat products in his games. All those chili dogs can't be good for him.

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay, the series should not be as grim as those fanfics with Robotnik being killed in horrible ways, but still more urgent than Generations.

I think the boundaries for the series have less to do with what's okay for children and more to do with sticking to the kind of themes and elements that it was designed around. People want the series to stick with the things that attracted them to it in the first place, or at least to evolve logically from them, not veer off into whatever has caught the developers' interest or whatever they think will be popular and sell well. Is it possible to do something like ShtH and do it right? To make this grim and gritty anthropomorphic antihero who fights off both the military and invading aliens into a viable story? Probably. Honestly from what I've heard of it it's not much more (and maybe less) of a stretch than the original TMNT.

But that's not the kind of thing the series was designed to be. The series isn't toothless, but its edge was lighter, its tone more optimistic. Sonic was a bright-eyed little punk, Eggman was an over-the-top mad scientist with silly robots and machines. They made references to DBZ and Star Wars into plot elements. I'm not saying they're limited to this and only this, but these things form the guidelines that the rest of the series should flow from.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's more guiding into newer elements than adhering to a guideline. Not to say you should betray what the series is designed to be, but if you wanted to try something that caught your interest, you should - as you said Dio - evolve logically from these sorts of things.

And I love how you brought up the original TMNT as an example, because it's really not too far off. But might I offer another example? It's a bit obvious considering that I use it a lot due to the similarities, but there's also the Megaman franchise. You start off as a cute robot who defends the world from an ego manical scientist who wants to rule everything in the classic series, which in turn evolves into a more mature robot who protects humanity from aberrant robots who are hellbent on wiping humanity off the face of the earth because of the previous series villain still holding a grudge, and this ends up corrupting a heroic robot who once fought for humanity into one who's leading the genocide against humans while the one originally designed to cause chaos and destruction in the world is actually fighting on humanities behalf along side the main hero. The fruits of that effort, however, ends up leading to a post apocalyptic world which is stated in the backstory to be caused by a mad scientist who felt that robots were inferior to humans and should pay for the crimes they committed in the previous series. This causes the most destructive war ever and leads to the world as it currently is at the time where the only living settlement has become fascistic in exterminating innocent robots because of an energy crisis. After that is a world where humans and reploids have become one as the lines between biological lifeforms and mechanical ones have been blurred, but even then there are problems as an ancient threat from the previous series is still causing trouble in this new world that has recovered long since.

In Sonic's case, it's not being handled in an episodic manner like TMNT or Megaman because it's threats aren't very interconnected by comparison. When it comes to such threats, Sonic beats them in one game then moves on to a completely new and unrelated threat in another. Sure, there's a degree of chronology here, but it's a lot more disjointed. Sonic 2 and 3&K are easily connected because of the Death Egg, but Sonic Adventure 1 is a whole new beginning. Sonic Adventure 2 is slightly connected to SA1, but it's still it's own self contained plot with very little connection to the previous game before it. Heroes follows suit in that the only connection from the previous game is Shadow still being around, and ShTH is only connected to Heroes because of Shadow being around back then. I could go on and on, but understand my case.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly feel that the bounds of the Sonic series isnt so much based on what is "to dark" or "to mature" for children, but more on what the series can and cant do without coming of as ridiculous and laughable to older audiences. Take Shadow the Hedgehog for instance. I really dont think it crosses any lines regarding what a child audince can stand in terms of mature content. The average 7 year old would probably just find the whole game incredibly cool, and not in the least disturbing. The game still steps outside the bounds of what kind of content a Sonic game should contain though, because for anyone over a certain age, the whole game comes of as a giant, unintenional joke.

But for sure, this has more to do with execution than with the basic story ideas. You could definitely have killings, weapons and probably even cursing in Sonic game, but you sure as hell cant have a whole game in the series be designed in every relevant aspect to look like a super-serious, grim-dark action movie from the 1980s.

I was 8-9 years old when Shadow the Hedgehog came out, and I enjoyed the story, and preferred it much more than the light hearted stories at the time. I'm not saying it's a good story, but I'm saying kids can handle and prefer deeper and darker stories as well as a lot of adults can.

How about instead of labeling things with such black and white terms like "Childish" or "Adult" we opt for family orientated games? Those shows/movies in the OP are mostly labeled as "family" movies, and most of the games are "Rated E for EVERYONE" so I don't know why people mistake Everyone for anyone the age of 10.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah. People often underestimate children. I remember back when my parents didn't even let me watch Pokemon because it was apparently too violent. But I don't think Sonic has ever crossed the line of not being child friendly. I first played Shadow the Hedgehog at the age of 12 and I already found the writing ridiculous back then. Granted, I was never a fan of shooters or "mature" games but even my friend who mostly played mature games found the entire game absolutely ludicrous. Seriously, I think SEGA intentionally tried to make it appeal to 8-10-old kids. Maybe if I had played it at that age I could have found it cool, but to think that teens would fall for that sort of crap, you'd have to be pretty darn dense. Then again I had a friend who saw it in a shop and immediately stated that he thought it looked cool so go figure.

I don't think the game had too mature themes. They were just poorly handled. And since when was Sonic a series specifically directed at children in the first place? I think the games should be suitable for everyone to play, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are designed with only children in mind. I thought that the target audience was always teens.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not the series as a whole and independent stories in every game for itself, it's the atmosphere that goes along with the story.

Like Unleashed and ShTH: They both had practically the same ideas, the world ending. Unleashed had a reasonable amount of seriousness without being a super dark game though, ShTH just blew it way out of proportion for obvious reasons.

Edited by #Based

I think it's because Shadow was just a terribly written game that people are just turned off by a darker atmosphere, and would blame the tone rather than the writing. If Shadow was actually written competently, I doubt people would be so hesitant about a darker game.

People tend to associate "Darker & Edgier" with "GUNS, CURSING, ALIENS, DEATH, and NECROPHOLIA" and are understandably skeptical. Like Dio said, you can do a darker game without losing the spirit of the series, something I think the Adventure and Storybook games tend to be overlooked on in this case. In both games, Sonic is still Sonic, he cracks jokes, taunts his foes, and both games have plenty of light and comical moments, but all four games seem to deal with pretty heavy subjects; War and conquest in the case of Sa1, Revenge, despair induced insanity, and government conspiracies in Sa2, abusive relationships in Secret Rings, and immortality in the case of Black Knight.

Honestly, I think people tend to exaggerate how bad Shadow was storywise, I mean yeah, it's pretty bad and is terribly written, but people seem to point to that game to justify Sonic never having any story beyond "Sonic fights some robots, and runs fast" I think it's pretty stupid to use one or two games to say "lolsawnik stories suk cuz shado"