Awoo.

Which 3D sonic game do you like the most?

StaticMania

I mean more than the rest and what about it makes you like it more than the other 3D games.

All 3D games that count:

Sonic Adventure

Adventure 2

Heroes

Shadow the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog(2006)

Sonic and the secret rings

Sonic unleashed

Sonic and the Black Knight

Sonic Colours

Sonic Generations

Few that don't count:

Sonic 3D blast(Not 3D isometric)

Sonic Jam(compilation)

Sonic Riders1-3(Racing game/ not a main game)

Sonic R

Sonic and Sega all-stars Racing(Not even an actual sonic game)

Now that that's out of the way My favorite 3-D game is Sonic Adventure, Why because I feel that it good game. I like how each character has their own gimmick(besides Big the Cat) based on their roles in the story and I like the variety the levels have in each story even though your going through the same levels from time to time they don't just always use the same level layout for the characters that go through the same levels besides Tails based on what his gimmick is. I like playing through Sonic's levels, Tails' levels, Knuckles' levels, Amy's levels(Every now and again),and Gamma's levels and each time I do I play them with a big smile on my ugly face.

So whats your favorite 3-D Sonic game?

Sonic Adventure is really cool, with really well thought out levels for the most part. buuut it's age keeps me from calling it my favorite.

Sonic Heroes has a special place in my heart, buuuut it has a lot of technical flaws that keep it from being the best.

I loves me some Sonic Colors (which I'm sure everyone is aware of), buuut there isn't all that much 3D for it to be my all time favorite 3D game.

So I guess that leaves Sonic Generations.

Though even you count the entire game (all 2D Classic Sonic and 40-50% 2D Modern Sonic) it's still 25-30% actual 3D. But that doesn't really matter because the 3D is actually thought out pretty damn well, at least as far as the modern gameplay style is concerned.

stage_06_04.jpg201111413174930831.jpg

sonic-generations-playstation-3-xbox-360_100783_post.jpg

Sonic Generations just has everything I wanted out of a 3D Sonic game (well okay, it doesn't have a good story or general atmosphere but whatever). Good well designed levels with a decent amount of secrets (as well as a good helping of fanservice), amazing music all around, brilliant art design and general graphical flair, and nostalgia out the wazoo.

I enjoy the 3D aspect of the game the most out of other modern titles because I don't have to play them in a certain way. By that I mean with Unleashed and Colors' 3D sections (with a few exceptions) you are usually going to progress through them in a specific manner as there's usually little room for experimentation or freedom. With Generations I feel as if it is much more superior in that nature, and levels like the first half of Planet Wisp Modern express that notion very well.

Might as well say that Classic Sonic is also a very fun addition, I love most of the levels and the gimmicks they have (City Escape's Gun Truck I'm looking at you) and overall it's just a very solid experience, even if the physics aren't 1:1 with the Genesis games (still more fun than CD and Sonic 1).

It's not a perfect game by any means, in fact both of the previous modern titles have aspects I prefer over this game (Unleashed's atmosphere, Colors' story etc), but as a whole it surpasses both games in the general quality and gameplay department.

So yeah, favorite 3D game.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 7

Hmmm, really it's more a case of which one I dislike the least, I'm going to have to say Sonic Adventure, by virtue of every level not being this race to the end of the race. Remember "At Dawn"? I remember At Dawn. Good times, but so short, and you have to play the rest of speed highway to get there. Great job, Generations, for not including it, I say with much sarcasm.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic adventure (I've played the xbla version, steam version, 2004 pc version and (to me at least) far superior gamecube version (I never had a dreamcast or knew anyone that had one.) Pros: wide open spaces in the levels, they don't feel on rails, and they feel fast (or at least in sonics levels), there is some pretty good platforming, multiple gameplay styles, and best story in a sonic game (OK 2nd best to adventure 2). I actually like the new graphics, but those animations are downright ugly.Sonic is the best by far, tails is alright, knuckles isn't too bad, Amy sucks, e-102 isn't too bad, and big is well useless.

3D Blast. And I'm being completely serious, and I don't really care that it was arbitrarily excluded in the OP. It's the closest anyone at Sega has gotten to recreating the classic Sonic games in a 3D plane; and despite its flaws it's a great amount of fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

Colours and Generations.

I'd explain the reasons why, but I happen to wield the combination of not being good with explanations and not feeling like unintentionally starting yet another so-and-so debate. All that matters is that those two games are - for all intents and purposes - my darling little babies. How I love them so.

Other ones with a thumbs up include SA1, Heroes and Unleashed.

3D Blast and ShtH are guilty pleasures.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 4

That's a tough one... Probably Sonic Heroes. It generally scored 8/10's by most reviewers. Also isn't it the highest selling Sonic game? I remember I was 7-8 years old at the time, and I kept hearing people talking about it in class. I downloaded the PC demo a few weeks later, and couldn't stop replaying it. A few months later I got the full game. It was quite a large game. There was a lot of content, and a lot of replay value. I didn't get bored of the game for years... but I couldn't stand how dumb the story was with how empty it was, and the whole "The true power of team work." If it's too light for a 7 year old, then it's too light full stop.

It's not perfect at all, but it was very fun, packed with content, and addictive. The best experience I've had with a Sonic game.

Edit: The Adventure games & Unleashed come close.

Edited by -L-
  • Thumbs Up 1

For me, it switches between Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 depending on my mood.

But for the sake of this thread, I'll go with Sonic Adventure, but only really to increase its lead.

Oh, and ONLY THE INTERNATIONAL RELEASE OF THE DREAMCAST VERSION WILL DO, ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES. For the sake of clarity, I'll just say Sonic Adventure International and leave it at that.

advlogo_international.jpg

^ That.

Edited by Laser Heartstrike

For me, it switches between Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 depending on my mood.

But for the sake of this thread, I'll go with Sonic Adventure, but only really to increase its lead.

Oh, and ONLY THE INTERNATIONAL RELEASE OF THE DREAMCAST VERSION WILL DO, ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES. For the sake of clarity, I'll just say Sonic Adventure International and leave it at that.

advlogo_international.jpg

^ That.

...Apart from some minor bug fixes from the original, what's the difference?

Surely if we're including Sonic Colours we should include Sonic Rush Adventure. They have about the same percentage of 3D sections to 2D. =U

Anyway my favourite is Unleashed. After the pit of 2006 it was an amazing breath of fresh air and completely redefined what I think of when I think of Sonic. While I can understand it's not for everyone, I personally am glad that every game since has had its gameplay based off this one.

The sense of world and place is amazing, I find the levels very fun and satisfying to play, even if they are narrow and heavily scripted, and mostly reliant on memory for speedrunning... I don't really care, it's still fun to me. And while the controls don't really lend themselves all that well to it (they could have been MUCH fairer) the secret levels and DLC provide much non-cinematic platforming fun.

I also enjoy the Werehog well enough so that's a bonus. I've played this game through a LOT (wouldn't be surprised if I play through every level about 4-5 times a year since launch) and I usually will play through every Werehog stage too when I do so there must be something there.

Again though, I think the atmosphere and sheer love and effort put into the game make me forgive its shortcomings. It's far from the best 3D Sonic game but it's my favourite.

I would say, objectively, Sonic Generations is the best 3D game they've done. If they can just make every level as cinematic as City Escape or Rooftop Run while being as open as Sky Sanctuary or Seaside Hill, I think we'll have perfected the modern Sonic style. What it lacks in the atmosphere and staging previous games had, it makes up for in sheer quality of level design to me.

For honourable mentions, I do enjoy Sonic Adventure 2 but it's starting to be almost as aged as Sonic Adventure to me now. Last time I played I threw away my nostalgia/muscle memory bonuses and played on just the Hard Mode of every stage, and the awkward controlling really showed itself up when I was required to navigate the stages in a way not burned into my memory.

I also like playing Shadow The Hedgehog a fair bit, but I'm not gonna attempt to justify that lol.

For the record, I do find Sonic Colours pretty good but I honestly barely consider it a 3D game.

• Thumbs Up 4

...Apart from some minor bug fixes from the original, what's the difference?

> Implying that bugfixes aren't enough to justify it

Try: the different language options and various graphical enhancements?

If you weren't aware, the US and EU versions of "Sonic Adventure" that you all know are actually just Sonic Adventure International with the "International" tag removed (as the clarification wasn't necessary in these regions). The original Japanese Sonic Adventure wasn't quite finished, and was released exclusively in Japan in 1998.

aIf you weren't aware, the US and EU versions of "Sonic Adventure" that you all know are actually just Sonic Adventure International with the "International" tag removed (as the clarification wasn't necessary in these regions). The original Japanese Sonic Adventure wasn't quite finished, and was released exclusively in Japan in 1998.

Basically just Sonic Adventure, then.

It's a hard choice given that every one of them has some pretty glaring flaws.

If I have to choose, I guess Sonic Adventure, since it's the closest to the concepts of the Genesis Sonics. Unfortunately it's still far behind them; the engine's far too buggy, the controls too twitchy, the level designs too flat and restricted. But they did try; the rolling mechanics are unpolished, but they exist, and they did occasionally remember that Sonic isn't stuck just running on the ground. This is stuff that they basically stopped trying to use after the Adventures...

• Thumbs Up 3

Surely if we're including Sonic Colours we should include Sonic Rush Adventure. They have about the same percentage of 3D sections to 2D. =U

Admittedly, that made me roll my eyes more than it should have.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh shit. I always liked Sonic Adventure 2 a lot. But deep inside, my favorite 3D Sonic game is...

♫Sonic Heroooooes,

Sonic Heroooooes,

woooooow, pa-ram, pa-ram, pa-ram, paaaaaam♪

Adventure 2 and Generations HD comes close tho.

Edited by Jango

Very funny. At this rate they'll be on the floor.

But what I meant was, I was hoping we could have had a thread that didn't go into the "But ___ isn't a real ___ game" part. Alas.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Heroes. It was the first Sonic game I ever played so looking back on it I remember how much I loved it. Sure, it's aged badly but it's still great. I loved thinking I was good at Team Dark and I always felt awesome when I got an A-Rank. I'm not big on Adventure 2. I don't understand why people like it (I'm not the only one.).

At this point in time, my two favorite 3D Sonic games are Unleashed and Generations. Their production values are incredibly high and it shows.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 4

Sonic Adventure 2: It was a diverse, fast paced platformer; what a 3D Sonic game should be like

Sonic Riders Zero Gravity: I like racers, and this is both a good racer and fun multiplayer game

Sonic Heroes: It's a really fun 3D game, and I liked the Team Systems and challenges.

I'm a Generations fan tbh, Soniman explained this better than I ever would. Except for the fact that Crisis City gives me nerd boners.

Colours is a runner up, if it's classable as a 3D game. I love the style and presentation a lot even if the level design is often iffy and most of the bosses are a bit lame.

I like SA1 but it's aged badly and Heroes was my first 3D game so I have nostalgia for that as well as knowing where the glitches happen, which makes it more tolerable.

That's really tough choice to make, I pretty much like all of them. And yes, I mean all of them when I say all of them. Which one I like best at a time mostly depends on my mood...

If I really have to pick I guess it'd come down to Heroes. I really play it very often, I love the team play and the different characters to play as at the same time. But I guess my favorite thing about Sonic Heroes are the huge stages. So much space to run around and explore. smile.png

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 come close after Heroes, particularly the Sonic/Shadow and Knuckles/Rouge stages. I love Sonic Unleashed for the fast gameplay and the beautiful stages. It's like running through a pixar movie.

Sonic Generations. It's my favourite game in the whole series (and one of my favourite games of all time) thank to its fast and fun gameplay, nostalgia trip, music and many other great things. My favourite feature has to be the custom music in stages. All games with that feature are good in my book.

It only needed some more cutscenes (and length) as so much more could have been done. I mean, I was always potentially looking forward to Sonic's reaction to seeing Chaos again, but whatever.

Edited by Cyberguy