Awoo.

Which 3D sonic game do you like the most?

StaticMania

Very funny. At this rate they'll be on the floor.

But what I meant was, I was hoping we could have had a thread that didn't go into the "But ___ isn't a real ___ game" part. Alas.

Well geez, I think the lack of 3D is a perfectly valid reason to not find Colours to be a favourite 3D Sonic game. =\ I would have thought the "=U" at the end would have made it obvious I wasn't actually seriously suggesting it wasn't classable as being in the main 3D series.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, it's not that. It's that wording like that - even if not serious - can easily make those that do like Colours feel... I don't know, backed into a corner if you will about liking it due to the lack of proper 3D. It's just an easy phrase to rub others the wrong way.

Well that's how it rubbed me anyways.

If you like Colors then you like Colors; it's not any less of a game if you decide to call it a 2D game over a 3D game.

• Thumbs Up 2

No, it's not that. It's that wording like that - even if not serious - can easily make those that do like Colours feel... I don't know, backed into a corner if you will about liking it due to the lack of proper 3D. It's just an easy phrase to rub others the wrong way.

Well, sorry it offended you. To be frank I'm a little bitter about Colours because I was sort of viewing it as a sequel to Unleashed in all the pre-release hype. Then it turned out the trailers did well to mask just how little and how basic all the 3D, non-Wisp gameplay was. I mean they kept talking about how it was aimed at younger fans so I was expecting it to be easier than Unleashed, but... the 2D gameplay was still plenty varied and challenging enough. As a much bigger fan of 3D gameplay though, it was a pretty big disappointment for me, even if the game itself was fun despite this.

The only really challenging 3D-heavy level was Terminal Velocity, which was only challenging due to the lack of checkpoints. The actual gameplay was just... yeah we kind of already did this in Unleashed. A lot.

I think the only 3D gameplay I really remember enjoying was that waterfally area in Aquarium Park, and a few bits of Asteroid Coaster. Altogether about one minute of gameplay, tops.

Edited by JezMM

As much as I absolutely love Generations' level design and pure Sonic gameplay, I'm gonna have to give the honor to Sonic Adventure. Even though the newer titles have been trying to broaden Sonic's movement and level design, I still feel kinda restricted. SA1's Sonic handling, as buggy as it is at times, feels much more free and easy to control when glitches aren't in the way. I'm always finding new ways to experiment with different pathways through levels, many I'm sure the developers didn't even intend. In the newer games, I always feel like deviating from any of the set routes will end in my death.

Controls aside, this game just has the most nostalgia for me. It was the first time I saw my favorite character in 3D, bad-mouthing Dr. Robotnik with his newfound voice. And it was glorious. The levels, the story (plot, not dialogue), the gameplay, the music. It was all awesome, and though many of its aspects don't hold up well today, I still love it just as much.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic Adventure 2: It was a diverse, fast paced platformer; what a 3D Sonic game should be like

I know someone here wants to kill you for saying this. (Not me, of course)

Anyway, much as I love the Adventure games, I must say Generations is my favorite. It basically took all of the best elements of Unleashed and Colors, turned them up to 11, and emphasized the 3-D sections a lot more on top of that. Put simply, it was wonderful.

At this point in time, my two favorite 3D Sonic games are Unleashed and Generations. Their production values are incredibly high and it shows.

This in a nutshell for me. Both of these games are really great and the overall environments, music and attention to details are just too great. I adore these 2 games!

Sonic Adventure 2: It was a diverse, fast paced platformer; what a 3D Sonic game should be like

Outside the Sonic/Shadow gameplay what exactly was so fast-paced about it? Mechs were slower than glaciers and the treasure hunters though physically fast, had overly large and convoluted stages that can take millenia to complete if you don't know what you're doing.

Sonic's stages (and, by extension, Tails' stages) in SA1 offer the best 3D Sonic gameplay of all time. And despite what flaws the game has (mostly in regards to other characters gameplay) i still consider it superior to all other 3D Sonic games.

As much as I like Sonic Adventure (or Sonic and Tails' levels at any rate) I will have to say Sonic Generations because there's no part of it that I don't look forward to, unlike most 3D Sonic games. (aside from Classic Spike Zone Planet Wisp, anyway). I've not played Colours due to not having a Wii but I still think that Generations is probably the game that I'd prefer anyway.

• 2 months later...

Sonic Adventure.

To me, this is the perfect 3D Sonic game... One of SEGA's first big step into 3D (minus a couple of Saturn games and Sonic 3D on the Mega Drive) and also the best. It did everything right.

The level designs were perfect, the gameplay itself was very fun and the game had you hooked for ages. I also liked the fact it wasn't insanely hard, and the controls were easy. The voice acting was spot on and most of all, it had the best soundtrack ever found in a 3D Sonic game. Why you ask? Because it kept with the retro Sonicky style of the old games, something which sadly, has been lacking in recent Sonic games and neglected ever since (with the exception of Sonic 4). 

Same here. I initially hated the Adventure series, even though I never played them. The I was apathetic, then after seeing Clement's playthroughs of them, I felt motivated to play them. I've put them on my Christmas list.

For me it's got to be Sonic Adventure 2.

I know it's a far from perfect game, but it got a lot of things that I really like:

• A wonderful soundtrack. There are many tracks that fit the stages so well. The main game theme (Live & Learn), the brilliant Sonic and Shadow tracks that push you through the level so nicely (my favourite track being Metal Harbor). Even Tails/Eggman and Knuckles/Rouge have some really nice tracks.
  • No hub worlds (not counting Chao). One level after the other just like the classics.
  • A slightly crazy, yet fun sort of interesting story.
  • The colourful map where you can replay stages at your leisure.
  • Unlockable Green Hill.
  • The final level and final bosses are decent.

I only played this game for the first time in October this year, but there is just something about it that for me puts it ahead of all the other 3d games.

Edited by Silent Nightwing
  • Thumbs Up 2

Either Sonic Adventure or Sonic Adventure 2

aside from Big's Fishing, the Chaos 4 boss fight, and the Final Hazard boss fight, I still enjoy these games a lot.

And no, I do NOT play these for Chao. I never did. I even enjoy the alternate playstyles.

Plus, I absolutely love the controls for these games. They don't act as if Sonic and friends are on ice like the modern games and I feel like I have control over the characters.

They may not have aged very well, but I can actually control the characters without the super slippery controls of the modern games, they actually have more than an hour or two's worth of content, and most of all, I actually have fun the majority of the time.

Now, here's why I don't think the others are better:

1. Heroes- 75% of the game is repetitive, the controls suck and everything is floating over a bottomless pit. Although I admit, I do think it is kinda fun.

2. Shadow- self explanitory. Not even the music is good...

3. Sonic 06- Everything is terrible. aside from the usual good sonic music

4. Sonic Unleashed- controls are absolute shit (I'd say the worst in the entire series aside from 06's), Boost to win!!!, the werehog (unlike the alternate playstyles of the adventures, I actually hate this one), 30 minute stages, Eggmanland, Perfect Dark Gaiya's boss fight, quick time events, you need memorization instead of skill (as in, if you haven't researched the stage, you will be dying in it). I think this is one of the most overrated sonic games, and is the worst major Sonic game that is not in Sonic's Dark Ages.

5. Sonic Colors- Most of the wisps are meh (and obvious rip offs of a certain other Wii game that came out the year before in 2009 starring Mario, though that's a completely different topic) & the game has way TOO much 2d to be considered a proper 3D Sonic game.

6. Sonic Generations- ALL the bosses aside from Perfect Chaos (the only good boss IMO) are just horrible (well, Metal Sonic is just meh), half the game is bad (the classic sonic portion which is more like Sonic 4 than the classics), and is excessively short, and the modern sonic half is forgettable. I do admit, though, I did have some fun with Seaside Hill modern and Planet Wisp modern.

Edited by Mr.Snarf
  • Thumbs Up 1

5. Sonic Colors- Most of the wisps are meh (and obvious rip offs of a certain other Wii game that came out the year before in 2009 starring Mario, though that's a completely different topic).

The drill I can understand, and I suppose the blue wisp is like a reversable P-Switch, but the rest?

Edited by Santa Attaxx

I will never understand the Yellow Drill Haterz. To me, it is the most controllable Wisp, especially in comparison to "fuck you, I don't feel like turning" Frenzy, which alone makes him the most satisfying to use. All he needs is a better theme to be perfect.

Anyway, my favorite 3D game is still Sonic Unleashed and it probably will be for a long time if Sega's just going to continue carrying the momentum they received from the design decisions of Colors and Generations. The Daytime gameplay is more fun than its successors by virtue of not completely neutering itself with completely uninteresting platforming and unnecessary control scheme changes that serve to gimp the speed-running nature of the gameplay into something comparatively milquetoast. The Werehog himself pretty much outdoes subsequent attempts of giving these games some platforming: better jumping capabilities (his double jump is superior to Sonic's in Colors), proper ledge-grabbing and swinging capabilities, and a greater utilization of the landscape and large set-pieces to disguise the platforming as actual travel around the area instead of merely clumps of blocks in your way. Better utilization of the Hedgehog Engine, a fun and charming atmosphere due to the hubs and the citizens that inhabit them, a story that bothers trying in many instances, slightly more sophisticated comedy, more content, better unlockables, and Night of the Werehog. I just really love it to bits, and ever since then it's been a tiring waiting game for something as epic and involving to come along.

• Thumbs Up 3

The drill I can understand, and I suppose the blue wisp is like a reversable P-Switch, but the rest?

Thinking more, yeah, I was wrong about most of the wisps being rip offs of Galaxy 2. Aside from the drill, most of the rip offs are not the wisps, but things like the levels in Colors where you go long distances with the only thing under you being a spring, which I know is just like something in Galaxy 2

I will never understand the Yellow Drill Haterz. To me, it is the most controllable Wisp, especially in comparison to "fuck you, I don't feel like turning" Frenzy, which alone makes him the most satisfying to use. All he needs is a better theme to be perfect.

Anyway, my favorite 3D game is still Sonic Unleashed and it probably will be for a long time if Sega's just going to continue carrying the momentum they received from the design decisions of Colors and Generations. The Daytime gameplay is more fun than its successors by virtue of not completely neutering itself with completely uninteresting platforming and unnecessary control scheme changes that serve to gimp the speed-running nature of the gameplay into something comparatively milquetoast. The Werehog himself pretty much outdoes subsequent attempts of giving these games some platforming: better jumping capabilities (his double jump is superior to Sonic's in Colors), proper ledge-grabbing and swinging capabilities, and a greater utilization of the landscape and large set-pieces to disguise the platforming as actual travel around the area instead of merely clumps of blocks in your way. Better utilization of the Hedgehog Engine, a fun and charming atmosphere due to the hubs and the citizens that inhabit them, a story that bothers trying in many instances, slightly more sophisticated comedy, more content, better unlockables, and Night of the Werehog. I just really love it to bits, and ever since then it's been a tiring waiting game for something as epic and involving to come along.

Might be a while, because that [massive] investment burned SEGA from a critical perspective.

Though you'd be right. A lot of heart and soul (and thankfully money too) was poured into every detail of that game. It had its problems, but it was largely cast aside because the Werehog wasn't what people were expecting.