Awoo.

Rouge the Bat from a Design Standpoint

Faseeh

No, not really. If I were to divide up the playable characters by importance, it'd probably be Shadow, then Sonic/Eggman, then Tails/Knuckles/Rouge. The main elements of the story are Shadow and things directly related to Shadow; the story exists largely to tell his story. Sonic and Eggman come second; the latter being the apparent lead antagonist for most of the game and the former the hero dealing with him and Shadow. The rest are just supporting characters.

That's not what I meant. Perhaps what I should have said was that Rouge wasn't made as unimportant as folks were saying until ShTh. No, she didn't take center stage and in no way was I implying that, but she isn't useless or negligible until they started giving her less and less as time went on.

Rouge's role in Sa2 is pretty negligible compared to everyone else's, and more or less just an obstacle to Knuckles, and for the very little narrative it did have, Shadow's is the one who takes center stage.

Rouge was hardly negligible compared to everyone else, especially in relation to characters like Amy and Knuckles, these two gaining more importance in the last story. She was the main one operating on a complete separate agenda even from her own team; the Heroes were trying to stop the bad guys, Shadow and Eggman planned to terrorize the world while Rouge was completely underground from both teams despite operating with the latter. And really, she was the most neutral of all the characters before the last story.

Rouge was hardly negligible compared to everyone else, especially in relation to characters like Amy and Knuckles, these two gaining more importance in the last story. She was the main one operating on a complete separate agenda even from her own team; the Heroes were trying to stop the bad guys, Shadow and Eggman planned to terrorize the world while Rouge was completely underground from both teams despite operating with the latter. And really, she was the most neutral of all the characters before the last story.

But none of that had any impact on the two main story elements; Shadow's revenge plot, and stopping Eggman, so yeah it's kind of negligible at best.

But none of that had any impact on the two main story elements; Shadow's revenge plot, and stopping Eggman, so yeah it's kind of negligible at best.

So Rouge providing the information to the other Chaos Emeralds were, helping to steal said Chaos Emeralds from Prison Island, tracking down Tails for the other Chaos Emerald and helping to find out what the heroes were planning, and bringing up the Chekhov's Gun that was the Biolizard (and the main reason she was actually there in the first place) had no impact on the main story elements?

Also, you forgot a third story element: Eggman trying to conquer the world, i.e. Team Dark's story. Unique from other plots where this is usually the conflict in that you're actually playing that half of the plot instead of trying to stop it.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Studiyng some bases I came to the conclusion pretty much all female characters from Sonic uses a styled human base for their bodies.

very close to this actually:

PPG_Base_by_BattleStorm.png

so they, kinda all look like humans, except that Rouge's design shows more of her body (not nescessarily flesh).

• 2 weeks later...

I've always thought of Rouge as the Sonic universe' answer to Catwoman. She's sexy, but not gratuitously so, uses her womanly wiles to get what she wants and you never know which side she's one. I think it's an interesting dynamic, having a character that can switch side suddenly just because the other guys have bigger diamonds.

As for her design, I've always thought it was OK, never really had a problem with any of the variations, but if I had to pick one it'd be the original from SA2

Edited by JD!

• 3 weeks later...
She only really started being a side character in ShTH. Every playable character in SA2 had a strong role that didn't overshadow any of the other playables.

I thought you were joking here....

I thought you were joking here....

Dude, there are like that clarifying what I meant. Did you even bother to read them, since you took the time to navigate through a topic that was dead for two weeks? rolleyes.gif

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I've always liked Rouge's color scheme and how it's contrasting when put next to Knuckles'. Knuckles is mostly red, with the colors of the Jamaican flag for shoes, while Rouge has some white, pink, purple and blue going on, all colors not featured on Knuckles' design similar to Knuckles not having any of Rouge's colors on him. The way her white fur clashes with Shadow's black fur looks pretty good as well.

The Sonic series is surprisingly clever with it's coloring, this is most noticeable with the pink, green and orange of Team Chaotix or the blue, orange and red of Team Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2