Awoo.

A Reboot.......Of The Comic Series?

Chaos Warp

Goodness, this is becoming like the franchise reboot thread all over again ph34r.png

Anyway, although I wouldn't care if the comic stayed the same as it is (it helps that that the comic today is of much higher quality than it was years ago), I personally wouldn't mind a reboot either, if only out of curiosity how much would besignificantly modified/removed from it's current stance.

Edited by Zinos

Also Sega has this...thing with how they want Sonic to be treated. A lot of fans seem to feel the same way. It irritates me that they think Sonic isn't allowed to be sad or angry. It's bizarre.

They're okay with him getting sad and angry. They just don't want it to get excessed to the point where he bawls like a baby or getting all vengeful.

Edited by DarkLightDragon
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lol what the heck you guys don't freaking get the point of "adaptation" Archie could make a new line of Sonic comics devoted to being more like the games and they'd still be different in a lot of ways. Why? Because unless you just really really want to read some frame by frame synopsis of the past games, they'd need to come up with new ideas, new content, new foes, new adventures that don't happen in the games. In the long run it would end up being very not like the games and then you would all be mad again.

Personally, I think there's a large line between 'coming up with new ideas' and being 'very not like the games' ; but I'm not exactly against the whole 'this is an alternate interpretation' thing, I just want to look at a character like Sonic, and then Mammoth Mogul, and honestly say they belong in the same comic book.

Personally, I think there's a large line between 'coming up with new ideas' and being 'very not like the games' ; but I'm not exactly against the whole 'this is an alternate interpretation' thing, I just want to look at a character like Sonic, and then Mammoth Mogul, and honestly say they belong in the same comic book.

Your not being reasonable.

There are always gonna be outliners. Look at Black Doom, Perfect Dark Gaia, Crystal Mephilies, if you want video game examples and tell me some of those character desings fit any worse than Mammoth Mogul.

Your not being reasonable.

There are always gonna be outliners. Look at Black Doom, Perfect Dark Gaia, Crystal Mephilies, if you want video game examples and tell me some of those character desings fit any worse than Mammoth Mogul.

All three of them are explicitly monstrous; an alien, a mutant, and a shadow demon. Mogul is supposed to be of the same "species" as Sonic and the rest.

Personally I don't have much of an issue with Mogul but that's really not an equal comparison regardless.

They are all bad guys and thats good enough for me. tongue.png

Either way, the source material is all over the place with its designs. I find it hard to knock the comics for doing basically the same thing.

All three of them are explicitly monstrous; an alien, a mutant, and a shadow demon. Mogul is supposed to be of the same "species" as Sonic and the rest.

Personally I don't have much of an issue with Mogul but that's really not an equal comparison regardless.

Which is why I don't have much of a problem with Mogul.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Having a unified character design style comes down to a lot more than just one recurring body make-up. Repetitious shapes, markings, patterns, clothing, colors, physiological details, the actual rendering or drawing style, etc.. Big is an outlier compared to Sonic simply because he's, well, big, but I wouldn't say he's so far removed from the general SegaSonic style as Mammoth Mogul is (and note, I don't even think Mammoth's got a bad design).

• Thumbs Up 1

Having a unified character design style comes down to a lot more than just one recurring body make-up. Repetitious shapes, markings, patterns, clothing, colors, physiological details, the actual rendering or drawing style, etc.. Big is an outlier compared to Sonic simply because he's, well, big, but I wouldn't say he's so far removed from the general SegaSonic style as Mammoth Mogul is (and note, I don't even think Mammoth's got a bad design).

Big is physically different from Sonic in many ways, but this doesn't mean he falls completely out of bounds of the general Sega Sonic style anymore than, say, Taz falls out of the Looney Tunes style completely simply because he isn't lanky like Bugs and Daffy. Rather, I can look at both Taz and Big and pin them to their respective series a lot easier than I might pin Mammoth back to Sonic, because beyond his body shape differences, Mammoth's facial structure, lack of gloves, the suit, and his generally more westernized expressions and the rendering style he's done in do not hearken to Uekawa's and subsequently SegaSonic's art style as much as Big does. Again, a unified art style is far more than one recurring body make-up in every single character, and a good one should have the breathing room to accommodate different character proportions without the illusion of unity falling apart, otherwise you'd be able to convincingly argue that the only SegaSonic characters who belong are the hedgehogs and Eggman's male relatives.

Edit: Oh hey, I just noticed that Mammoth Mogul doesn't have five fingers either. ಠ_ಠ

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 1

Every mobian in Sonic's world has to have there muzzle shaped like Sonics, even Vectors is shaped like Sonic's, the only difference is the long crocodile jaws.

They're both different. There's no way to argue around that. Different body type, different proportions, etc. etc.

Regardless of whether one can be identified as more Sonic-y than the other, arguing that you can't identify Mogul as belonging in the same comic as Mysteric claimed can just as much be countered the other way around for Big in that you probably couldn't identify him as belonging in the same game and becomes more of an excuse either way you want to take it. Now mind you, I never really cared too much as far as the character designs go, but we could play a game of making up excuses all day and it won't get anyone anywhere.

Does Mammoth break any rules on that front?

Specific species in this series (Like Croc's) do have facial build's that resemble the legit animals.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uhhh, that is Mat Herms' work, not Yardley.

This is Yardley's Mogul.

Mammoth_Mogul_by_Yardley.jpg

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 2

I knew there was a high chance I was getting the artist wrong, but that pic had no artist attributed to it. D: Thanks.

Of course, there's no reboot required for the art style to change- look at how Sally's been evolving. Why are we discussing how Archie characters look different again?

I think I would like if Archie had a side series (not a reboot) that happens in the game universe instead of only a few issues.

following the game canon and continuing from there without altering much of it and in a way that it would blend nicely with the new games.

It's a rather unrealistic idea but I kinda like it.

I think Mammoth is fine because honestly the sonic style is ridiculously constrictive if you want to remain loyal to it 100%. Why does anybody know that Sonic is a hedgehog? Because that's in his name. Otherwise there are a number of creatures you could say Sonic is if you had not one inkling clue about this franchise.

Characters like Vector I think give enough of an excuse to make characters with heads that look more like their real life counterparts. Because you honestly cannot make a croc-like character without the long jaw and pointy teeth. I don't care how hard you try, without that its not a croc. A lizard of some kind yes but not a croc or gator or camen or whatever.

Edited by Dejablue

A year ago on Bumbleking I created a topic where I asked people if they thought that a Sega Sonic book could survive.

http://www.bumblekin....php?f=4&t=4836

One question that I've asked before is "are the Sega Sonic characters interesting enough to carry a book?"

One of the reason's why the freedom fighters are in the Genesis story arc is because Sonic needs other characters to play off of.

I know that some fans really like the world tour story arc where Sonic and Tails went around the world going on adventures while they were looking for Ixis Naugus, since for some fans the idea of Sonic and Tails going on adventures around the world is closer to their game counterparts, but for me I found the world tour story arc to be boring. To me it wasn't fun. And I got bored with just Sonic and Tails.

As for a more game based Sonic comic, having only Sonic, Tails, Knuckles(who would only appear in stories focused on the Master Emerald), Amy, Cream, Shadow(who would also only appear in certain stories), Rouge(who would also only appear in certain stories), Omega(who would also only appear in certain stories), The Chaotix(who would appear when needed), Blaze(who would appear in stories about the Sol dimension), Silver(who would appear when needed), and Eggman, it would I think in my opinion get boring after awhile.

Edited by Vampfox

It's isn't just how Mammoth Mogul looks, it's his powers, they are outlandish considering he's a mobian and not an actual god or supernatural creature like Chip or Chaos.

Edited by Mysterics