Awoo.

The Powerpuff Girls (2016) | A Cartoon Network Original - USA: April 4th, 2016 | UK: April 25th | Escape from Monster Island / Princess Buttercup

Ming Ming Hatsune

Honestly, as I said before, I feel the clips they are giving us are probably tamer because they're not important parts of the episode(s) in question.  I do see what you guys are saying, though, and it is a concern for me as well.

I am seriously not digging Bubbles' new voice actor. Like, Blossom sounds alright, Buttercup seems to be attempting to recreate the original voice, but Bubbles sounds just totally off.

So to be clear, the confirmed villains so far are

-Him

-Princess

-Mojo Jojo

Also interesting to note the UK is getting this first. That almost never happens, and it's especially rarer for CN Originals. I think the only show to actual air around the same time as the US release recently was We Bare Bears, unless PPG is more popular in the UK and that's something I didn't know about.

so when are we gonna admit Powerpuff Girls Z is good

• Thumbs Up 1

I kind of like Bubbles' new voice.  It's completely different than Tara's interpretation of the character, but still pretty fitting to the character overall.

I will admit, the new voices don't sound too bad. I can't say I'm wowed by it so far from what I've seen. At we've gotten a better idea of what to expect from the new series.

4 hours ago, Azoo said:

the action seems much more tame,

Yea it kinda does.

56bea825d5f82_DontCallMePrincessEpisodeC56bea82bddd1c_DontCallMePrincessEpisodeC56bea82d64912_DontCallMePrincessEpisodeC

Even the still beat up sections seem too tame too me. Probably because the expressions are........... less expressive?

Like it doesn't really look all that painful and you can't really feel the force and weight of her punches. Even the sound affects were weaker. 

5 hours ago, Azoo said:

I don't really mind the art style change too much (though I do prefer the original look), but I'm worried that it isn't going to have the same punch, both figuratively and literally.

Every line featured in the commercials seem awfully generic, the action seems much more tame, and I'm worried some things like the comedic timing or the dramatic background music cues (two of THE biggest traits to the show) aren't going to be anything like the original, which I really hope isn't the case but I'm growing suspicious of it.

That said, it looks cute so far and I'll definitely tune in on the first few episodes to get a better opinion.

Maybe CN's putting the genetic stuff up front and saving the good stuff for later, like another popular cartoon that stars magical/super hero children(or child in this case). 

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks fine to me. I'm amazed that they pretty much kept the original art style. It looks just like the original series with modern animation.

In all honesty, as much as I loved the original series, I think the animation has probably aged the worst of any CN original show (along with Dexter's Lab, considering it had basically the same animation style).

This is one instance where I feel that if they were gonna change the art style of the entire show, then they should have probably changed the girls' designs too because they look very out of place with the rest of the characters.

12 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Looks fine to me. I'm amazed that they pretty much kept the original art style. It looks just like the original series with modern animation.

In all honesty, as much as I loved the original series, I think the animation has probably aged the worst of any CN original show (along with Dexter's Lab, considering it had basically the same animation style).

I think the animation is fine it was the coloring that has aged if that makes sense same with dexter.

The new art style feels just like a modern interpretation of the old one - it's cute, colourful and expressive. It's sharing a modern feel alongside the other CN shows on the lineup, but I think that's just a given. 

The new voices are weird to me but I'll be open minded and see how they interpret them this time. Buttercup sounds appropriate. Blossom sounds like she's trying to emulate the old voice. Bubbles is gonna take some getting used it.

I am liking how the show looks so far. The designs remind me of Steven Universe, but it's not that big of a surprise. The logo was kind of a giveaway it'd look like that. Some people are complaining about the look online, but really, it's just how modern CN shows are made. In the late 90s/early 2000s there was a similar unified look all cartoons had with the bold lines and simplistic shapes. So it's not jarring at all to me. 

I do like the animation too. The effect of the *pew* when they go fast looks really pretty, and it looks like they are retaining those *punch!* *slow shot* action scenes from the original. As for the voice actors, I really had no problem with Buttercup. Then again, I've only ever watched a handful of episodes from the original English dub, but it fit her well I think. Yeah, it's kind of a dick move for CN to not include the original actors, especially when Tom Kenny is coming back as the Mayor, but this kind of stuff happens a lot in the animation industry. :/ 

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, other than the "Every Cartoon Network Show" art style on the non-main characters, and the voices, you could convince me without effort it was from the old show... I'm honestly looking forward to seeing it. 

I really don't see why the old art style is "bland", it's literally the same style Hanna-Barbera had in the late 1950s with Yogi Bear and such.

• Thumbs Up 3

Animation looks a bit off, but not bad. Bubbles sounds odd,, but Buttercup and Blossom sound good to me. Hopefully the show is funny, though. 

Is that song in the promo supposed to be the new (ending?) theme? It's a remix of the old ending. I prefer the old one.

Unfortunately we live in a timeline that producing retro cartoon violence is bad for the little ones. That's why we'll never see a new Tom and Jerry cartoon that is like the originals in terms of violence.

So I expect Powerpuff Girls fast-paced beat up violence to be nerfed also in this reboot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a much longer version of that "Don't call me princess" clip.

The animation is rubbish.

Okay, to be fair, the backgrounds are really nice.  The actual characters, though, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

9 minutes ago, Tara said:

Here's a much longer version of that "Don't call me princess" clip.

The animation is rubbish.

Okay, to be fair, the backgrounds are really nice.  The actual characters, though, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

It wasn't THAT bad to be honest.

I have no qualms about the animation, since the original wasn't of high caliber neither. This is television animation after all so you have to make sacrifices. 

The characters though, are a bit off, especially at the 0:06 mark. It looks out of scale to me. 

Just now, CrashRatchetFan said:

It wasn't THAT bad to be honest.

I have no qualms about the animation, since the original wasn't of high caliber neither. This is television animation after all so you have to make sacrifices. 

The characters though, are a bit off, especially at the 0:06 mark. It looks out of scale to me. 

Those are the characters I'm mainly talking about, honestly.  It looks like they just compiled a bunch of different background characters from different shows and stuck them altogether, so they kind of clash a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

The lumberjack guy at the :05 mark...  haha WOW, what's with that character scaling? There's no way he's that tiny. If he were then Buttercup would be the size of a squirrel. How did anyone at CN not catch this?

Also I'm getting some serious goanimate vibes from those characters... like they just used pre rendered models and slapped them on. I might just end up watching the show just to see what else looks this cheap!

2 minutes ago, Pompadour said:

The lumberjack guy at the :05 mark...  haha WOW, what's with that character scaling? There's no way he's that tiny. If he were then Buttercup would be the size of a squirrel. How did anyone at CN not catch this?

What's noticeable is that all the characters look down at him, suggesting there was definite intent to have him at that size. But when Buttercup grabs him, he seems a bit larger. S'weird.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh wow, yeah now I'm starting to see flaws in the animation too. I think why the lumberjack guy looks so weird is because when he gets knocked to the background, he comes forward without changing in size, and thus making the scene look awkward. And during that same scene, the background characters look like they clash a lot. They have much darker colours (or bolder?) than the main characters and the designs are not uniform at all. On the very right there's a woman made of basic shapes, but then on the very left there's a much more realistically designed human. 

And then there's also the fighting.. There's no real impact going on. Buttercup just gets knocked back instead of getting smashed. It doesn't even look like the fist touched her. :U It's a little odd how the original show didn't hold back on violence, and yet this one plays it very safe, at least from what we've seen so far. 

Though this is just one scene. The video with the two TV promos posted a page or two back made it look like the show will be pretty much the same as the old one, with better animation. And at least I can say that the effects and backgrounds are nice, and the general movement of the characters looks good too. But going back to the promos, it did seem like the villains at least maintained their art style and fit more in the world. I just hope these character designs in the short clip are for that episode alone. I mean, from the looks of it they are at some sort of peace festival or something. Very hippie looking, at least. And as we saw in another short clip, Bubbles was overdressed with that stuff. 

• Thumbs Up 2

(Thanks TCB)

This is the full theme song for the reboot, although, since it's 2 minutes long - it will be shortened when they air it. My guess it'll stop at the 41 second mark.

Oh and the PPG has smartphones now, and that's what they use to get the Mayor's calls!

While I would have preferred if they kept the original theme song, this one is pretty cool. Took a risk with the theme song and I'm happy they took that risk. Thumbs up to the new theme.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love love love love love love LOOOOVVVEEEE the opening! And the music video is so nicely stylised too! AAAHHHHH I'm so excited for it now! It's like I've forgotten all the terrible animation the background characters had and in its place is just hype! Whoever made that video needs a raise, because they know how to get people excited! 

Love the animation and style - not big on the song but it's not exactly aimed at me. It's catchy and cute, suits the show and characters.